Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    The most powerful man in the world just did all that for 90 minutes. That's our elected leader. That's the person who is supposed to keep us safe.

What a disaster. There shouldnt be any more debates.

I genuinely believe this debate was harmful to the USA. Trump's mask answers, the white supremacy non-condemning, and attacking mail in voting was unbelievable.

Edit - spitting the absolute disgust as a citizen out of my mouth.

Biden needed to win this debate because he is so far behind in the polls. He didnt. I bet there are half a dozen R senators that are sweating how bad tonight went.

You meant to type Trump, but yes. That was a verbal assault, not a debate. I'd rather listen to the entirety of Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" than be forced to watch that debate again. And for those who don't know, that album is nothing but 45 minutes of atonal guitar feedback.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    Yeah, at best Trump's tactics maybe turned the debate into a draw. And maybe that's the smart play. I think a normal, polite debate would have made clearer his ignorance on all the issues, despite being at the helm these past four years.

But Trump needs more than a draw in these debates.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Chris Wallace: I'd like to talk about climate change.

Biden: So would I!

Best line of the whole so-called 'debate'!
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    The most powerful man in the world just did all that for 90 minutes. That's our elected leader. That's the person who is supposed to keep us safe.

I genuinely believe this debate was harmful to the USA. Trump's mask answers, the white supremacy non-condemning, and attacking mail in voting was unbelievable.

Biden needed to win this debate because he is so far behind in the polls. He didnt. I bet there are half a dozen R senators that are sweating how bad tonight went.

You meant to type Trump, but yes. That was a verbal assault, not a debate. I'd rather listen to the entirety of Lou Reed's "Metal Machine Music" than be forced to watch that debate again. And for those who don't know, that album is nothing but 45 minutes of atonal guitar feedback.

Yeah. Haha. Thanks. I edited it.
    Balrog99 wrote: »

My favorite part of the whole debate was CNN's Dana Bash said it was a "shitshow" in air. Everyone was just so revolted. I'm glad I wasnt the only one.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited September 2020

I still think Biden telling Trump to shut up was actually legit effective, and happened before everyone turned the channel to literally ANYTHING ELSE. Speaks to the just abject exhaustion with this man and his bullshit. What does policy even matter at this point?? I simply want this guy to be out of public consciousness for my own mental health. I am not remotely alone.
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    Sorry for being vociferous, night all. Hope we all wake up in a better world tomorrow.
    edited September 2020
    One thing about these debates is that it's often a key moment or line that gets repeated ad nauseam later that's more important than any sense of overall performance. When Obama and Romney debated, I thought nothing of Romney's "binders full of women" remark in the moment, but that became a viral story.

I was worried about Biden doing something like that tonight, but I think he largely avoided it. Perhaps the seeming flip flop on the Green New Deal could qualify. But of all the moments, I think Trump's odd inability to be direct about condemning white supremacists is likely the biggest moment that's going to stick.

My favorite part of the whole debate was CNN's Dana Bash said it was a "shitshow" in air. Everyone was just so revolted. I'm glad I wasnt the only one.

I don't buy for a second that they didn't know what they were in for though. My degree is in chemistry, not political science or journalism and I didn't see anything that surprised me.

I still think Biden telling Trump to shut up was actually legit effective, and happened before everyone turned the channel to literally ANYTHING ELSE. Speaks to the just abject exhaustion with this man and his bullshit. What does policy even matter at this point?? I simply want this guy to be out of public consciousness for my own mental health. I am not remotely alone.

Yeah, my favorite quote was probably way past the time most people would have tuned out trying to hear two people talking at the same time. Even I was getting a headache by that point...

I don't buy for a second that they didn't know what they were in for though. My degree is in chemistry, not political science or journalism and I didn't see anything that surprised me.

The frequency with which Trump interrupted surprised me, genuinely. It's obviously been a long time since I watched the Clinton debates, but I don't recall him being that aggressive.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited September 2020
    I don't think the debate went well for Trump, but it didn't go spectacularly for Biden either. All things considered this still seems like it will go for Biden in the end. I can't see anything particularly good or bad coming of that, since he is such a non-controversial figure. More of the abysmal status quo. Ho hum.

Like I said I really dislike it when folks interrupt in debates. It costs credibility and Trump took liberal usage of it. It is also the main reason why most debates of any sort quickly become unwatchable and unproductive. People need more time to say their piece.
    edited September 2020
    The next (presidential) debate is a town hall format. So combine Trump's incessant aggression from today with his inability to express empathy from his recent solo town hall. And well, as a lefty voter, I'm optimistic.
    DinoDin wrote: »

The frequency with which Trump interrupted surprised me, genuinely. It's obviously been a long time since I watched the Clinton debates, but I don't recall him being that aggressive.

Seriously? Did you watch Trump's debate with Clinton where he was like invading her personal space all the time? I don't understand how his aggressiveness here would surprise you. He's trying to appeal to the testosterone of his base and the females married to or otherwise tied to people in his base. He's gambling that those folks will be more energized to vote than Biden's likely voters. He's not wrong until he's wrong. I'm still at coin-flip status right now as to the outcome...
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,314
    My few hours sleep coincided with the debate, but having read comments above I don't feel inclined to watch it on catch-up ...

Seriously? Did you watch Trump's debate with Clinton where he was like invading her personal space all the time? I don't understand how his aggressiveness here would surprise you. He's trying to appeal to the testosterone of his base and the females married to or otherwise tied to people in his base. He's gambling that those folks will be more energized to vote than Biden's likely voters. He's not wrong until he's wrong. I'm still at coin-flip status right now as to the outcome...

The last Presidential cycle was so much more exciting. Trump acted like a madman and Clinton was a nakedly corrupt puppet representing establishment interests. She was fed debate questions beforehand, she had insiders at the DNC, she had it all, and all it took was Wikileaks and a crazed attention-seeker with some good sidekicks to blow it all up.

Now that Julian Assange is in jail there isn't any more hope for any non-approved truths coming in to shake up the American political landscape anymore. Everything will be as the Powers-That-Be demand.
    In case anybody who couldnt stomach watching this debacle actually care what happened during the debate, Politico is a fairly unbiased source...

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/29/trump-biden-debate-key-moments-423352

The last Presidential cycle was so much more exciting. Trump acted like a madman and Clinton was a nakedly corrupt puppet representing establishment interests. She was fed debate questions beforehand, she had insiders at the DNC, she had it all, and all it took was Wikileaks and a crazed attention-seeker with some good sidekicks to blow it all up.

Now that Julian Assange is in jail there isn't any more hope for any non-approved truths coming in to shake up the American political landscape anymore. Everything will be as the Powers-That-Be demand.

The firehose of conspiratorial nonsense pouring out of this post is just insane. She wasn't fed debate questions in any of the debates with Trump. And can you name me one key revelation from Wikileaks without going to google?
    edited September 2020

The firehose of conspiratorial nonsense pouring out of this post is just insane. She wasn't fed debate questions in any of the debates with Trump. And can you name me one key revelation from Wikileaks without going to google?

Hey, I understand if it is too crazy to believe, but it really happened. The U.S is just that nakedly corrupt. It was reported on extensively. There is basically no denying it.

Edit: Oh wait, my bad. I see you have "debates with Trump" as a convenient qualification. I suppose a corrupt debate against your primary opponent is okay.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/donna-brazile-hillary-clinton-leak-regret-236184

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donna-brazile-passing-debate-questions-clinton-camp-mistake/story?id=46218677

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/donna-brazile-leaves-cnn/

And yes, I can name some. This very topic we are discussing. An important topic on political corruption we have Wikileaks to thank for, wouldn't you agree?
    Grond0 wrote: »
    My few hours sleep coincided with the debate, but having read comments above I don't feel inclined to watch it on catch-up ...

Read the Politico article. It'll be much less aggravating...
    edited September 2020

Hey, I understand if it is too crazy to believe, but it really happened. The U.S is just that nakedly corrupt. It was reported on extensively. There is basically no denying it.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/donna-brazile-hillary-clinton-leak-regret-236184

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donna-brazile-passing-debate-questions-clinton-camp-mistake/story?id=46218677

And yes, I can name some. This very topic we are discussing. An important topic on political corruption we have Wikileaks to thank for, wouldn't you agree?

As I said, it wasn't a leaked question in a general debate. And to be clear about the details. Clinton was told there was going to be a question about Flint's water issue... at the Democratic debate in Flint, Michigan. What a shocking bit of inside information to have.

From your own story: "WikiLeaks posted emails from Brazile to the Clinton campaign that tipped it off that a woman from Flint, Michigan, would ask Clinton about the situation there for a town hall."

This is your slam dunk piece of evidence for deep corruption?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,314

Most people probably missed it, but there was a significant move in the worldwide debate on climate change at last week's UN meeting. The US of course offered nothing new there, but China stated they are now aiming to become carbon neutral by 2060. That's the first time they've ever set a long-term target for themselves.

The timing of the announcement is not coincidental of course, with China attempting to take advantage of how weak the US currently appears internationally and themselves become the hub of future international discourse. However, it also reflects the shift in the economics of energy I've been going on about for years. China is easily the world's biggest investor in renewable energy, but up to now has also been heavily investing in new non-renewable energy - such as coal-fired power stations. That has made some sense in a situation where they have been building total energy capacity aggressively, because they have easy access to coal and can use their purchase of that to gain influence with other countries. With it becoming ever more apparent though how much more expensive such power is now - let alone the projected position in future - that was always likely to change. China is due to publish a new 5 year plan for the economy in the next few months and the details of that should give a clear indication of whether they really intend to stick to the 2060 target.

One other point worth mentioning is that China's target is stated to be independent of what any other country does. In past climate change meetings the difficulty of getting agreements has largely been because of the tendency from many countries to make either no commitments or conditional ones. That's of course been understandable in the past where taking action to deal with climate change was seen as expensive and therefore countries wanted to check everyone would have similar commitments before incurring an economic disadvantage. The situation is now reversing though, where it's becoming increasingly obvious that many forms of action will not only help ameliorate climate change, but also be cheaper. It's the countries that are slow to adopt new technologies that are likely to be at an economic disadvantage - in the immediate future as well as in the longer term.

The one thing you won't ever admit to is that Hillary Clinton was a terrible choice. Sorry but it's true. Any goodwill that her husband bought was long gone and her fucking Senate gift in New York was blatant as all Hell. Sorry your groomed candidate turned out to be as charismatic as a toad but you all just seem to be oblivious to her shortcomings. Learn!
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659

Edit: Oh wait, my bad. I see you have "debates with Trump" as a convenient qualification. I suppose a corrupt debate against your primary opponent is okay.

It should be noted that @DinoDin specifically pointed to the debates with Trump and not the Primary debates. The situation you are referring to relates to a town hall debate with Bernie Sanders, not Donald Trump.

And as we previously discussed - it's a bit of a laugher to promote Wikileaks as some bastion of exposing political corruption when they played an active part in helping the Trump campaign - explicitly at their direction.

The one thing you won't ever admit to is that Hillary Clinton was a terrible choice. Sorry but it's true. Any goodwill that her husband bought was long gone and her fucking Senate gift in New York was blatant as all Hell. Sorry your groomed candidate turned out to be as charismatic as a toad but you all just seem to be oblivious to her shortcomings. Learn!

Voters made the choice, not me. I did not vote for her in the primary. I don't have to admit to anything.
    edited September 2020

Voters made the choice, not me. I did not vote for her in the primary. I don't have to admit to anything.

Touché. You were in the same boat as me then. I voted for Kasich in the primary.

Edit: Best counterpoint ever!

As I said, it wasn't a leaked question in a general debate. And to be clear about the details. Clinton was told there was going to be a question about Flint's water issue... at the Democratic debate in Flint, Michigan. What an shocking bit of inside information to have.

From your own story: "WikiLeaks posted emails from Brazile to the Clinton campaign that tipped it off that a woman from Flint, Michigan, would ask Clinton about the situation there for a town hall."

My bad, I forgot that in hotly contested primary debates, the democratic thing to do is to give the insider candidate with a lot of money pre-knowledge of debate questions on important topics. Downplay it all you want, you and I both know that foreknowledge of debate questions is a textbook example of naked corruption. Really, there couldn't be anything more obviously undemocratic besides literally changing votes. It just goes to show how far partisanship can go in allowing people to excuse all sorts of wildly unethical things.

The natural question a curious mind would ask, whose singular purpose wasn't uplifting the Democratic Party at all times in all ways, is how often and pervasive such corruption is in the media landscape. Bear in mind after she resigned FOX NEWS hired her. The rot goes both ways.
    edited September 2020

My bad, I forgot that in hotly contested primary debates, the democratic thing to do is to give the insider candidate with a lot of money pre-knowledge of debate questions on important topics. Downplay it all you want, you and I both know that foreknowledge of debate questions is a textbook example of naked corruption. Really, there couldn't be anything more obviously undemocratic besides literally changing votes. It just goes to show how far partisanship can go in allowing people to excuse all sorts of wildly unethical things.

The natural question a curious mind would ask, whose singular purpose wasn't uplifting the Democratic Party at all times in all ways, is how often and pervasive such corruption is in the media landscape. Bear in mind after she resigned FOX NEWS hired her. The rot goes both ways.

Are you seriously going to sit here and argue that a political debate taking place in Flint Michigan in 2016 was tipped by someone knowing there would be a question about the water issue? Are you seriously arguing that?

Look, what Brazile did was wrong. CNN was right to fire her. But this wasn't a failure by the DNC. Brazile wasn't working for the DNC. And it's absurd to argue that it tipped the scales. I'd prefer all of these news outlets hire fewer partisan hacks to fill their staffs, but viewers seems to love watching them. She's at Fox now, I'm sure you raised just as much of a stink when they hired such an ethically tarnished person as you are now.
    Grond0 wrote: »

Most people probably missed it, but there was a significant move in the worldwide debate on climate change at last week's UN meeting. The US of course offered nothing new there, but China stated they are now aiming to become carbon neutral by 2060. That's the first time they've ever set a long-term target for themselves.

The timing of the announcement is not coincidental of course, with China attempting to take advantage of how weak the US currently appears internationally and themselves become the hub of future international discourse. However, it also reflects the shift in the economics of energy I've been going on about for years. China is easily the world's biggest investor in renewable energy, but up to now has also been heavily investing in new non-renewable energy - such as coal-fired power stations. That has made some sense in a situation where they have been building total energy capacity aggressively, because they have easy access to coal and can use their purchase of that to gain influence with other countries. With it becoming ever more apparent though how much more expensive such power is now - let alone the projected position in future - that was always likely to change. China is due to publish a new 5 year plan for the economy in the next few months and the details of that should give a clear indication of whether they really intend to stick to the 2060 target.

One other point worth mentioning is that China's target is stated to be independent of what any other country does. In past climate change meetings the difficulty of getting agreements has largely been because of the tendency from many countries to make either no commitments or conditional ones. That's of course been understandable in the past where taking action to deal with climate change was seen as expensive and therefore countries wanted to check everyone would have similar commitments before incurring an economic disadvantage. The situation is now reversing though, where it's becoming increasingly obvious that many forms of action will not only help ameliorate climate change, but also be cheaper. It's the countries that are slow to adopt new technologies that are likely to be at an economic disadvantage - in the immediate future as well as in the longer term.

That's actually a massive deal and thank you for noticing it. My position on climate change has always been "China needs to be on board or it's hopeless". The fact that they are starting to take it seriously is a great sign in a positive long-term direction.
  • jonesr65jonesr65 Member Posts: 66

I loved when Biden asked for 30 second to be put back on his time after Trump interrupted his 2 minutes of no interruption section.

The very best part of this quote is that you can bitch about either candidate as long as it's not the person you wanted from the beginning. You've encouraged me to vote in every single primary from now on!