Skip to content

New versions of NearInfinity available

Comments

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    The "Falling" is controlled by the projectile, comet.pro, but it is no longer hardcoded.
    If you want 3 "in parallel" though, I'm almost certain you'll have to create a new animation with all 3 comets already drawn in parallel.
    The explosion can easily be tripled through the VEF and additional VVC files, but the traveling animation cannot use VEF's.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited August 2020
    @argent77

I'm not sure what's the problem here (see code below), but NI states "ERROR READING EXAMPLE2.CRE null".
    <<<<<<<< .../example-inline/blank

>>>>>>>>

COPY ".../example-inline/blank" "override/EXAMPLE2.cre"
    	DELETE_BYTES 0x0 BUFFER_LENGTH
    	INSERT_BYTES 0x0 0x434	// 0d1076
    BUT_ONLY

EDIT: Nevermind, the signature can't be missing.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Luke93 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what's the problem here (see code below), but NI states "ERROR READING EXAMPLE2.CRE null".
    <<<<<<<< .../example-inline/blank

>>>>>>>>

COPY ".../example-inline/blank" "override/EXAMPLE2.cre"
    	DELETE_BYTES 0x0 BUFFER_LENGTH
    	INSERT_BYTES 0x0 0x434	// 0d1076
    BUT_ONLY

EDIT: Nevermind, the signature can't be missing.
    I'd suggest using WeiDU's CREATE function for creating new resources.
    edited August 2020
    argent77 wrote: »
    I'd suggest using WeiDU's CREATE function for creating new resources.

Yeah, I know, but since I want to skip feedback messages, I need to replicate it (or redefine "FL#CREATE#MAKE_FILE"...?).
    Anyway, after setting signature, if you launch "FJ_CRE_VALIDITY", it will fix almost everything for you (you just need to set all item/sound slots to "-1").

Also, WeiDU's CREATE does not support PRO files (quite a common resource I think...)
  • LZennerLZenner Member Posts: 19
    It sure is faster! Kudos! Major kudos! I work with, basically, a rock covered in bear skins and it loads right up now where it took quite a long time with previous versions. Thank you!
    argent77
  • LZennerLZenner Member Posts: 19
    Although the increased loading speed is wonderful, my new all-time-favorite feature is the labels on the areas, creatures, items, etc. Thank you for that. How did I live without them before? They are so handy!
    LZenner wrote: »
    Although the increased loading speed is wonderful, my new all-time-favorite feature is the labels on the areas, creatures, items, etc. Thank you for that. How did I live without them before? They are so handy!

The thanks for this goes to Mingun. He laid the foundation to make this useful feature possible.
    I can't say how much these optimizations affect macOS systems. Feedback would be welcome.

Should I wait for the macOS specific app packages (currently on hiatus...?) before giving feedback about loading times?

Separately: op#126 and #176. These two opcodes support "parameter2=5". It's a multiplicative stacking percentage modifier, i.e.:
    • 50% * 50% = 25%
    • 150% * 150% = 225%

(Courtesy of Kjeron)
  • DrAzTiKDrAzTiK Member Posts: 50
    edited September 2020
    Hello everybody,

In my current game, I want to remove the berserk innate abiliy of Minsc and the innate abilities of Mazzy but it seems I cannot do it anymore with nearInfinity. In the past, I used to be able to do it.

Heeeeelp me please

Edit : it looks like I cannot do it also with EEkeeper. It is because of the last BG patch ? very strange
    Luke93 wrote: »
    I can't say how much these optimizations affect macOS systems. Feedback would be welcome.

Should I wait for the macOS specific app packages (currently on hiatus...?) before giving feedback about loading times?

Separately: op#126 and #176. These two opcodes support "parameter2=5". It's a multiplicative stacking percentage modifier, i.e.:
    • 50% * 50% = 25%
    • 150% * 150% = 225%

(Courtesy of Kjeron)

Thanks for the opcode info.

It should be safe to test the bare NearInfinity.jar on macOS. Afaik, macOS specific app packages only provide a proper app icon and some version information.
    DrAzTiK wrote: »
    Hello everybody,

In my current game, I want to remove the berserk innate abiliy of Minsc and the innate abilities of Mazzy but it seems I cannot do it anymore with nearInfinity. In the past, I used to be able to do it.

Heeeeelp me please

Edit : it looks like I cannot do it also with EEkeeper. It is because of the last BG patch ? very strange

It's doable with NI but a bit more complicated since known spells and memorized spells are stored in different substructures:
    • Open the BALDUR.GAM of your save.
    • Open the "Party member x" entry for Minsc (double-click or press "View/Edit" button). The "Character" entry for Minsc is called "*INSC8" or some such. The number may be different.
    • Scroll down and open the "CRE resource" entry.
    • Scroll down to the list of "Known spell x" entries.
    • Select the entry with the right spell resource (e.g. SPIN117 for Minsc's Berserk ability) and press the "Remove" button.
    • Scroll down to the list of "Memorization info x" entries and open the entry where the "Type" subentry indicates "Innate (2)".
    • Remove all "Memorized spell" entries matching the right spell resource.
    • Update the entries "# spells memorizable" and "# currently memorizable" to match the "Spell count" value.
    • Do the same for Mazzy. Her "Character" entry is called "*AZZY8" (number may be different).
    • After all the work is done close all substructure windows and save the changes.
    (For all of these steps select the "Edit" tab of the structures.)
    hook71
  • NdranCNdranC Member Posts: 5
    I'm having an issue with NearInfinity detecting vanilla files in linux. For example, if I'm doing a normal item search I get a lot of errors and this is the output of the terminal:
    java.io.IOException: DATA/ITEMS.BIF not found
    	at org.infinity.resource.key.Keyfile.getBIFFFile(Unknown Source)
    	at org.infinity.resource.key.BIFFResourceEntry.getResourceDataAsStream(Unknown Source)
    	at org.infinity.resource.key.ResourceEntry.getResourceDataAsStream(Unknown Source)
    	at org.infinity.resource.key.ResourceEntry.getSearchString(Unknown Source)
    	at org.infinity.search.SearchFrame.run(Unknown Source)
    	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)

I get a lot of similar errors with 25items.bif and others. This does not seem to be the case with override files. Out of curiosity I changed the name of the data folder to DATA and Items.bif to ITEMS.BIF and it found it no problem. So it seems to be a case issue.

I'm not sure why because I'm running baldur's gate 1 and 2 from a ext4 case insensitive folder (chattr +F). I'm able to install tons of weidu mods with no issues and just to double check "lsattr" marks the data folder as case insensitive as well so it should be recursive.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Only just got around to trying this... terrific. 25% seriously underestimates the speedup on my windows install.
    NdranC wrote: »
    I'm having an issue with NearInfinity detecting vanilla files in linux. For example, if I'm doing a normal item search I get a lot of errors and this is the output of the terminal:
    java.io.IOException: DATA/ITEMS.BIF not found
    	at org.infinity.resource.key.Keyfile.getBIFFFile(Unknown Source)
    	at org.infinity.resource.key.BIFFResourceEntry.getResourceDataAsStream(Unknown Source)
    	at org.infinity.resource.key.ResourceEntry.getResourceDataAsStream(Unknown Source)
    	at org.infinity.resource.key.ResourceEntry.getSearchString(Unknown Source)
    	at org.infinity.search.SearchFrame.run(Unknown Source)
    	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)

I get a lot of similar errors with 25items.bif and others. This does not seem to be the case with override files. Out of curiosity I changed the name of the data folder to DATA and Items.bif to ITEMS.BIF and it found it no problem. So it seems to be a case issue.

I'm not sure why because I'm running baldur's gate 1 and 2 from a ext4 case insensitive folder (chattr +F). I'm able to install tons of weidu mods with no issues and just to double check "lsattr" marks the data folder as case insensitive as well so it should be recursive.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

I can't reproduce it with the latest release.

Which NI version are you using (see menu Help -> About Near Infinity)?
    What did you do to trigger this error and is this original BG2 or BG2:EE?

I can't reproduce it with the latest release.

Which NI version are you using (see menu Help -> About Near Infinity)?
    What did you do to trigger this error and is this original BG2 or BG2:EE?

Near Infinity v2.1-20200901

This is how I launch it from the terminal
    rg3f014uykfu.png

This happens with every game that I've tried. This includes bg1ee bg2ee and bgeet.

It fails to open/read any .bif file and it seem to be related to the fact it's looking for them with a specific casing.

For the sake of completion this is the entire log I get in the terminal after waiting 10 seconds https://pastebin.com/jw2nTgDk

And this is the output of lsattr of my current bgeet test install folder
    qniwd6gdymyh.png

If there is anything else I can provide let me know.

I was able to reproduce it when case of BIFF file references in chitin.key don't match case of actual BIFF filenames. This can happen when a mod updates or expands the chitin.key (e.g. Generalized Biffing or EET).

It doesn't make a difference whether case folding is active or not. (Although you might be able to work around it by installing the game on a filesystem with true case-insensitive filenames, such as JFS in OS/2 mode or ZFS.)

I'll look into it.
    edited October 2020
    This also happened to me on a bg1ee install with modmerger so it's possible that mod merger is also updating the chitin.key names with the wrong casing. I never tried to use it on a vanilla game.

EDIT: I also can confirm that this does not happen when I move my bg install to an NTFS file system. It's a pain but I guess I'll get around it for now that way. Thanks for your help!
    Post edited by NdranC on
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    @argent77 Unfortunately, with the most recent update of NI, I am no longer able to view or edit saved games. They no longer appear in the side bar. I'm confident this is probably user error, but any assistance would be appreciated.
    Greener wrote: »
    @argent77 Unfortunately, with the most recent update of NI, I am no longer able to view or edit saved games. They no longer appear in the side bar. I'm confident this is probably user error, but any assistance would be appreciated.

Difficult to say what's causing it.

@Greener A couple of questions to get more information:
    Which game(s) is/are affected?
    What's your operating system?
    Have you made sure that antivirus or security tools don't block access to the folders?
    Does this happen only with the most recent version (v2.1-20200901) or also with the previous version (v2.1-20200620)?
    Does the debug console show something (open via menu Tools > Show debug console)?
    Is the game type (and paths) detected correctly? It can be checked in the game properties (open via menu Game > Game Properties...).
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Is there a way to check massively via NI which of those strrefs are used anywhere in the game? I need to check roughly 3800 SoD strrefs and doing this one by one is a LOT of work.
    Cahir wrote: »
    Is there a way to check massively via NI which of those strrefs are used anywhere in the game? I need to check roughly 3800 SoD strrefs and doing this one by one is a LOT of work.

Depends on for what reason you want to check these strrefs. If you simply want to find unused strrefs then use Tools > Check > For unused strings. However, checking potentially 3800 strings in the results list that way is still a lot of work.

It's probably better to code a WeiDU script for that. The coding effort may be great, but you can customize (and automate) the analyzing part to your needs.

Depends on for what reason you want to check these strrefs. If you simply want to find unused strrefs then use Tools > Check > For unused strings. However, checking potentially 3800 strings in the results list that way is still a lot of work.

It's probably better to code a WeiDU script for that. The coding effort may be great, but you can customize (and automate) the analyzing part to your needs.

We are finalizing translation of SoD into Polish, but there are over 3800 strings that were not used anywhere in the Dialog Master sheet(s) we've got from Beamdog. We have started to test translation in-game, and we noticed some untranslated lines, which happen to be the ones that are present on that list. Now, random check of like 20-30 lines In NI shows that 90% of checked lines are not referenced anywhere by NI (even if there is a text associated to it). We just need to find those 10% that are used in the game without spending too much time on it.
  • GwendolyneGwendolyne Member Posts: 461
    Which strref?
    iirc, for BG2:EE, a few strref where not used by "normal files" (.d, .baf, .itm...).
  • Sam_Sam_ Member Posts: 172

We are finalizing translation of SoD into Polish, but there are over 3800 strings that were not used anywhere in the Dialog Master sheet(s) we've got from Beamdog. We have started to test translation in-game, and we noticed some untranslated lines, which happen to be the ones that are present on that list. Now, random check of like 20-30 lines In NI shows that 90% of checked lines are not referenced anywhere by NI (even if there is a text associated to it). We just need to find those 10% that are used in the game without spending too much time on it.

It sounds like Tools->Check->For Unused Strings is exactly what you're looking for. You'll then want to programmatically cross reference that list to your list of 3800 strrefs to see which ones are not on the list. I might could whip up those results if you can send me your list of 3800 strrefs.
    Sam_ wrote: »

It sounds like Tools->Check->For Unused Strings is exactly what you're looking for. You'll then want to programmatically cross reference that list to your list of 3800 strrefs to see which ones are not on the list. I might could whip up those results if you can send me your list of 3800 strrefs.

We ended up using this method, but it seems there are some individual strrefs actually used in game which NI threw as unused. But we managed to narrow our list to couple of hundred strrefs, which we can easily manage. Thanks for your help, guys.
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    edited December 2020
    Greener wrote: »

Difficult to say what's causing it.

@Greener A couple of questions to get more information:
    Which game(s) is/are affected?
    What's your operating system?
    Have you made sure that antivirus or security tools don't block access to the folders?
    Does this happen only with the most recent version (v2.1-20200901) or also with the previous version (v2.1-20200620)?
    Does the debug console show something (open via menu Tools > Show debug console)?
    Is the game type (and paths) detected correctly? It can be checked in the game properties (open via menu Game > Game Properties...).

@argent77 Thank you for your response, answers to your questions below:
    1. BGEE, BG2EE, BGEE SOD and IWDEE are all affected
    2. macOS 11.0.1
    3. I don't believe any antivirus or security tools are blocking access to folders
    4. It started after I migrated to a new 2019 MacBook Pro, previous 2013 MacBook Pro with macOS 11.01 did have issues.
    5. Debug file appears to state an operation is not permitted but I have not idea how to fix that?

java.nio.file.FileSystemException: /Users/Greener/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition: Operation not permitted
    at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.translateToIOException(UnixException.java:91)
    at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:102)
    at sun.nio.fs.UnixException.rethrowAsIOException(UnixException.java:107)
    at sun.nio.fs.UnixFileSystemProvider.newDirectoryStream(UnixFileSystemProvider.java:407)
    at java.nio.file.Files.newDirectoryStream(Files.java:457)
    at org.infinity.resource.Profile.initDlc(Unknown Source)
    at org.infinity.resource.Profile.initRootDirs(Unknown Source)
    at org.infinity.resource.Profile.initGame(Unknown Source)
    at org.infinity.resource.Profile.init(Unknown Source)
    at org.infinity.resource.Profile.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at org.infinity.resource.Profile.openGame(Unknown Source)
    at org.infinity.NearInfinity$2.doInBackground(Unknown Source)
    at org.infinity.NearInfinity$2.doInBackground(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(SwingWorker.java:295)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
    at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(SwingWorker.java:334)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

6. Game path appears correct, although the clicking the edit button leads to an error "cannot open INI file"
    @Greener It looks like access to the home folder is blocked by a security feature of macOS. It's probably a general problem with Java applications on your system. You have to find a way to grant the Java interpreter access to these folders. Maybe there is a security or privacy section in your system preferences where it can be fixed. Unfortunately I can't tell you more specifically since I don't have access to a mac.
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    @argent77 Good guess! @Greener You should get a prompt that java would like to access files in your Documents folder. You can check if it is listed in the pref panel Security & Privacy under the Files and Folders entry.
    hook71 wrote: »
    You should get a prompt that java would like to access files in your Documents folder. You can check if it is listed in the pref panel Security & Privacy under the Files and Folders entry.

I have the same issue and for some unknown reason I cannot add it (The "+/-" buttons are greyed out...)
    I can only add it to "Full disk access", but I'd like to avoid that... Do you perhaps know what I'm missing...?