Skip to content

SPOILERS: Spoil Away (There Be BG3 Spoilers Here Yarrr)

SystemSystem Administrator Posts: 199
edited October 2020 in Baldur's Gate III
With the EA coming out today it seems like we could benefit from a thread where people can freely discuss the game without needing to use spoiler tags.

So if ye be wantin to steer clear of spoilers and such, turn back now and avoid these treacherous waters.

Alright, no more pirate talk for me.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    I'm thinking for myself I'll probably play a drow warlock first. I'm not sure how they are handling sunlight sensitivity but the prospect of playing a character with telepathy (great old one warlock) is too tempting. Especially in a game like this where they seem to have put a lot of thought into social interaction.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    I'll probably try half-drow cleric of Vhaerun. I haven't play much cleric class, so it's good time to start.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,326
    I won't be getting EA (I'm just not that type of player. I like my first experiences with a game to be with the finished product), but I eagerly look forward to knowing your thoughts about what it's like. :)

When it does come out, I'll no doubt start with my classic LN Human Wizard as my starter character. Depending on what sorts of companions we get for the rest of the game, I might also try a Tiefling Warlock, a Wood Elf Druid, and Dragonborn (if they get added. If not, Dwarven) Barbarian.
    edited October 2020

Considering it lays out your starting situation, what order you encounter the NPC's in, and the NPCs themselves, I'd say the review is a bit spoilery.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,574
    edited October 2020

An interesting review, even if I probably won't end up agreeing with it. FWIW the author does lay out the extent of the spoilers early in the text, they're not much more than what we saw from Swen's gameplay footage.

"I'll try to avoid any serious spoilers, but it's impossible to talk about the storyline's issues without at least a couple of minor reveals—which I'll limit to the first two hours or so of gameplay."
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,733
    elminster wrote: »

Considering it lays out your starting situation, what order you encounter the NPC's in, and the NPCs themselves, I'd say the review is a bit spoilery.

Moved to this thread. Spoilers should be treated seriously.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    yeah ea isnt gonna fix writing. so if the companions are not well written they are gonna stay that way in the final game. larian just can't write party members.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    Ok so I caved and decided I would try the early access. I have played for about an hour and a half. Unfortunately I don’t have a monster laptop/pc so I am trying it on Stadia (which so far had been for the most part stable). I will be playing more later once my other half hits the sack. So very quick first impressions below.

1. Character creation is awesome. I spent quite a bit of time here and really enjoyed it.

2. Music so far is very good. There is one specific track that had a kind of Baldur’s Gate 2 intro feel.

3. Combat - I haven’t done much in the way of combat so far but what I have done feels good. I like that it feels pretty quick even for turn based. It’s obviously low level so the baddies are dying easy but even so it feels like a decent pace.

4. Dice rolls - I’m quite enjoying this part. I’ve made a point of not reloading if I fail a roll. I failed a very annoying one and it did frustrate me a bit and I was so tempted to reload but I stick to my guns and didn’t re load.

5. Graphically it looks great. Especially cut scenes and when you are in dialogue mode. Really impressed with how the game looks.I have seen some graphic glitches but that is obviously to be expected in early access.

6. Enjoyment factor - it’s definitely positive in this department so far as I only stopped as my other half was giving me the evil eye. I am eagerly awaiting her hitting the sack so I can get back in there.

All in all very positive so far. Obviously it’s early access and there are some glitches and issues I have noticed already but the fact that I can’t wait to dive back in is a great indicator ? I hope anyone else who has gone for early access is enjoying the ride so far. Baldur’s Gate 3 early access has indeed landed!!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @byrne20 How much like Baldur's Gate is Baldur's Gate 3?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    from the review the tone is all but screwed up. party members hate you, the game is way over the top and dark.

it feels like it's the exact opposite issue dos 2 had. that game was to silly this is to dark.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    edited October 2020
    @ThacoBell so far it’s definitely hitting most of the right notes for me. It feels very Baldur’s Gate. But I am basing that on really just the atmosphere/music and how it made me feel in character creation as I have only played a small amount at this moment in time. I’m sure once I get going again later tonight it will be even more positive from my point of view ?
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    edited October 2020
    Other review are much kinder, as with all things - it's probably best not to take only one source for its word, but see how the community reacts in aggregate:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/baldurs-gate-3-early-access-review/

https://www.ign.com/articles/baldurs-gate-3-review

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/10/06/baldurs-gate-3-review-early-access/

From what I've read, it sounds like it isnt perfect, but is mostly passable.

Here's another review that's a bit more tepid.

https://kotaku.com/20-hours-with-baldurs-gate-3s-buggy-early-access-versio-1845287075

the Tl;dr is that the game is very buggy, and you're hit with a lot up front (Companions, places to go, things to do, etc) - essentially, the game could use more focusing.

That kind of feedback will be given to the developers and hopefully we'll see improvement.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,574
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=v-0gsrEUzmA

This video is a 23 minute playthrough of the beginning of the game. I watched most of it. Made it a link as I don't want to put too much media in this thread.

Frankly, it belies to me a lot of what was said in the Ars Tecnica review. The Gith NPC comes across as desperate and rude, but "hates the protagonist" seems like a completely incorrect reading. As well the little bit of combat we see in this video doesn't match that review's summary either. I still don't understand why the review harped for so long on leftover movement points -- a thing that has been in D&D CRPG's since Pool of Radiance.

Anyways, the video is worth your time if you're not worried about coming into the game cold, but also want a look at EA without the hassle of buying+downloading.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    For all my criticisms of it, my girlfriend is very excited for this game, and we're probably going to spend the rest of the night with it. I'll be watching how it goes and i'll give my thoughts in a few.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    edited October 2020
    Other review are much kinder, as with all things - it's probably best not to take only one source for its word, but see how the community reacts in aggregate:

https://kotaku.com/20-hours-with-baldurs-gate-3s-buggy-early-access-versio-1845287075

the Tl;dr is that the game is very buggy, and you're hit with a lot up front (Companions, places to go, things to do, etc) - essentially, the game could use more focusing.

That kind of feedback will be given to the developers and hopefully we'll see improvement.

I think that critical review is a very good thing to have precisely because I am fully expecting an avalanche of "this is sooooo awesome!" gushing. Most of these review sites are all about ass-kissing whoever is their darling studio at any given time, and since D:OS that's been Larian. So in the same way that we got a ton of ass-kissing reviews of D:OS2, it was already baked in from the very first moment in February when the game was announced that we were going to get only echo-chamber reviews of this game. So this one reviewer having the guts to break out of that echo-chamber and provide an alternative take on the game is significant to me.
    edited October 2020
    kanisatha wrote: »

I think that critical review is a very good thing to have precisely because I am fully expecting an avalanche of "this is sooooo awesome!" gushing. Most of these review sites are all about ass-kissing whoever is their darling studio at any given time, and since D:OS that's been Larian. So in the same way that we got a ton of ass-kissing reviews of D:OS2, it was already baked in from the very first moment in February when the game was announced that we were going to get only echo-chamber reviews of this game. So this one reviewer having the guts to break out of that echo-chamber and provide an alternative take on the game is significant to me.

Yeah, there's a reason "7/10 from IGN" is a meme. AAA games and developers very, very rarely get bad reviews. It's something I noticed even when I was a kid, reading old Game Informer magazines. The AAA games that had a 1-3 page spread all have 9-10 scores, and the indie games were judged more fairly, even openly mocked at times.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Well, for what it's worth, playing for about 30 minutes I can say... this game has serious performance issues. Textures loading up is the most glaring one. It also lacks... refinement. Enviroments looks great, but UI looks... raw, almost like placeholder. A LOT of work ahead of Larian.

Somehow... It looked better when Swen played it?
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659

I didnt say it was a bad thing to have. I only said that it is (so far) not representative of the reviews I've seen. Outlier are sometimes right, but more often than not, they're just outliers.

Also, we intuitively put more credence in things that confirm our biases or priors. They're not truly any better or more useful, we just want them to confirm our world view.
    edited October 2020
    Two quick things:

Someone was asking previously about character customization, if you can alter your features after you pick one of the head templates. The answer to that is a big fat *no*. Besides hair and makeup, your face is what it is and you can't change it. If none of the 6 options, in our case, suits you, tough luck. Choose something else.

The graphics really are great. It's like a damn movie. So much so that parts are unsettling, in a good way, because it would be unsettling to see in real life.

My PC is making sounds like a portal to the Abyss has opened up inside. It's a decent rig though so it's holding out.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    The graphics really are great. It's like a damn movie. So much so that parts are unsettling, in a good way, because it would be unsettling to see in real life.
    I have no doubt about this, and this is ultimately what will drive the game's sales. There are a lot of gamers out there for whom awesome graphics and a "cinematic" game mean insta-buy.
    edited October 2020
    @JuliusBorisov I changed the ownership of this thread to system (just so I hopefully don't get notifications for it). Apologies if there is a better user for it.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I have no doubt about this, and this is ultimately what will drive the game's sales. There are a lot of gamers out there for whom awesome graphics and a "cinematic" game mean insta-buy.

This is shaping up to be the ultimate AAA RPG. Whether that's good or not is up to you...
    edited October 2020
    I agree that this is basically Divinity combat. It's not terrible, but there are some legit criticisms. Consumables, throwing items, miscellaneous bric-a-brac are everywhere and I am skeptical of some of these items place in the lore. I am fairly certain "mugwort", while being a common video game consumable and having a real life counterpart, has never been mentioned in a DnD setting, to cite one example of a few so far. These little things hurt the experience a bit as someone who takes setting consistency seriously.

Combat takes place in very large setpieces, that look nothing like the surrounding environment and scream "here is where combat will happen". It doesn't feel organic one bit.

The Skyrim-esque zoom in on critical hits is cool.

There are a lot of skill rolls, and I like that. For people who always want the best outcome, that will be frustrating, but I like the possibility of failure.

It's nice to actually have jumping mechanics in a DnD game for once, ever. Gets a little old being glued to the ground at all times when DnD itself has jumping, climbing, flying mechanics.

The camera controls are lacking. No vertical movement. This can probably be patched in, and it should be.

Your race and class seem to matter quite a bit. We have had several unique dialogue choices, both for being a ranger and a halfling.
    Post edited by WarChiefZeke on
    edited October 2020
    True to Baldurs Gate format, you can skip dialogue or trying to reason things out, and instead hit that attack button and start combat more or less when you wish.

It's one of those things where if this wasn't possible, could you really even call it Baldurs Gate at all.

This even works on totally innocent NPCs.
    We were asked to rescue someone. When that person ended up getting killed, we decided our character would fly into a rage then and there and start combat. I wasn't sure if it would work, but it did. No restrictions on attacking just because it wasn't the "right time" according to the devs. Pleasant surprise.

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited October 2020
    So, ship crashes, in usual Larian fashion you are left on a beach. I wander around and accidentally run into combat with three 15 HP Intellect Devourers. I figure I'm screwed, as even my character says one or two hits might be lethal for me. So, what to do?? Well, I am a Rogue, I have a bow. I shoot. I can't let them near me, so I jump away after each shot. They never get in range and all three fall within about 6 or 7 turns. It's this kind of obvious yet still satisfying freedom that Larian does so well at, and it's why their last two games have been so popular. You have so many options at your disposal when it comes to combat.

Even your race usually has a specific dialogue option for most situations. For instance, the first time I fell asleep, I had a Wisdom check option, a Constitution option, or a Drow option. This was a skill check to fall asleep because of the parasite in your head. The Drow option simply allows you to embrace the pain and pass out from it. If this is the kind of detail that has been put into literally EVERY minor interaction and event in this game, then it is going to be really something. I've done more RP in one hour than most full games.