Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

BG3: Worth it or not? [DEBATE THREAD]

2»

Comments

• ArviaArvia Member, Moderator Posts: 1,600
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @Arvia "Exactly, it all comes down to personal taste. If someone doesn't like that particular sense of humor (I like it), that doesn't mean it's a bad style or something wrong with Larian games, it just doesn't meet your taste. "

In a vacuum, yeah.

Please explain? I don't know what you mean.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,009
    Arvia wrote: »
    @Arvia "Exactly, it all comes down to personal taste. If someone doesn't like that particular sense of humor (I like it), that doesn't mean it's a bad style or something wrong with Larian games, it just doesn't meet your taste. "

In a vacuum, yeah.

BG3 is not a standalone game, it is the supposed 3rd game in a series. So its tone needs to be in-line with the previous games.

Sjerrieilduderino
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 21,601
    And the previous discussion was about D:OS games, not BG3. Sense of humour was meant to be related to D:OS 1 and D:OS 2.

On a side note, the tone of BG3 is different.

Arvia
  • ArviaArvia Member, Moderator Posts: 1,600

In a vacuum, yeah.

BG3 is not a standalone game, it is the supposed 3rd game in a series. So its tone needs to be in-line with the previous games.

See above, I was referring to the D:OS games, because that's what the poster I quoted had commented on.

Besides, there's tons of silliness in the BG games. The Mellicamp situation? Albert and Rufie? Random wizards appearing out of nowhere experimenting? Meeting Galileo Galilei, kleptomanics, charlatans? Or ever clicked on the tombstones in Nashkel, read the silly inscriptions, had a dead mage appear to warn you, clicked again and he attacked you with an army of the exploding phoenix thingies?
    Silly dialogue options also come to mind, like "I'M FOOLIO DISBLASIUS, DESTROYER OF THE SEVEN SUNS! RAAARRRGGGHHH!"
    or the crazy stuff you can say to the mages you meet upstairs at the Sorcerous Sundries.
    Uncle Lester and his cheap sweater in BG2?
    And so on...

I think it's difficult to find a common ground on what is considered an acceptable vs inappropriate type or amount of humor.
    And that leads me back to my original statement about it being a matter of personal taste, perhaps mixed with geographical/cultural background.

JuliusBorisovBallpointManSkatan
  • DonCzirrDonCzirr Member Posts: 164

In a vacuum, yeah.

See above, I was referring to the D:OS games, because that's what the poster I quoted had commented on.

Besides, there's tons of silliness in the BG games. The Mellicamp situation? Albert and Rufie? Random wizards appearing out of nowhere experimenting? Meeting Galileo Galilei, kleptomanics, charlatans? Or ever clicked on the tombstones in Nashkel, read the silly inscriptions, had a dead mage appear to warn you, clicked again and he attacked you with an army of the exploding phoenix thingies?
    Silly dialogue options also come to mind, like "I'M FOOLIO DISBLASIUS, DESTROYER OF THE SEVEN SUNS! RAAARRRGGGHHH!"
    or the crazy stuff you can say to the mages you meet upstairs at the Sorcerous Sundries.
    Uncle Lester and his cheap sweater in BG2?
    And so on...

I think it's difficult to find a common ground on what is considered an acceptable vs inappropriate type or amount of humor.
    And that leads me back to my original statement about it being a matter of personal taste, perhaps mixed with geographical/cultural background.

Yep - there is silliness and I am not opposed to comedic relief in games - but for my taste, D - OS feels like being trapped in a never ending Monty Python continuum.

This is a bit too much for me.

Arvia
    And the previous discussion was about D:OS games, not BG3. Sense of humour was meant to be related to D:OS 1 and D:OS 2.

On a side note, the tone of BG3 is different.

The impression I've been getting from posters is that the tone doesn't match the original games.

• FateAscendsFateAscends Member Posts: 62
    Eight years ago I was critical of BG:EE and my last posts on these forums are regarding the legal issues before BG2:EE. Back then I wasn't all that supportive of Beamdog and didn't like what they were doing. Today, I have a much different opinion. I'm glad they got their hands on the titles they did, and I'm sad Beamdog wasn't able to take a shot at BG3.

That being said, everything Larian is doing looks terrible, from the twitch integration to the over-the-top world building their studio is famous for. I'd say currently BG3 is not worth your money or time. Maybe my opinion will change in eight years. Probably not.

ThacoBellWarChiefZekeSjerrie
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 350
    I went in for Early Access and I'm not going to ask for a refund. Unless they make significant improvements from it's current state, things that would make it less of a Divinity clone and that they aren't likely do, I highly doubt that it will be something that I'd replay. I'll likely play it through one time, at some point, and I will enjoy some aspects of it, but (in it's current state) it won't be something that I'd do multiple run throughs.

In general, you don't want to judge an early access on its bugs or wonkiness, since its not a complete game and those things will (hopefully) be fixed.

SjerrieZaxares
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 350
    *nods* I'm sure that I'll come back to it, at least, when it is fully released and all expansions and such are finished and polished. I'm also sure that I'll play through it entirely and enjoy most of it, likely spending over a hundred hours in it. $0.50, or less, for each hour of entertainment doesn't seem like a bad investment to me. I'm hopeful, too, that they might release a decent toolset for modders. Considering that it's Early Access and no official tools have been released, there is already a pretty impressive amount of custom content available at the Nexus.