Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,314
    @Enuhal It's getting rather crowded in Baldur'd Gate at the moment. There's you, Wyrmbane, Wacky and Voka just to start with. :)

You could say that I suppose, though the place Wacky and Voka are now making more crowded is the cemetery B).
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Nice work there Grond0! Congrats on defeating Belhifet!
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Journal of WyrmbaneIn Durlag's Tower an Ashirukuru killed Wyrmbane. :(

Commiserations Wise, the mysterious Ashirukuru are a dangerous bunch.
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,852
    edited November 2020
    Journal of Bork the Berserker

Finding the image inspired this new run.
    Poor saving rolls compared with shorties, but at least he's got muscle power and has a good constitution.

The roll is an old one. The portrait is a new one made from a photo of mine plus this image which I came across last week:
    https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/490329478153661693/

3m6hrwmpqqjx.jpg

Bork is not true neutral in the sense that he actually AIMS for balance. In general he aims to be good, but he's got a bit of a temper so does things that he later regrets.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,314
    'Long-life challenge' - shaman {43} (hour 14)
    Previous updates at:
    Various groups of Cowled Wizards were attracted by my use of the Ring of Air Control - and one by one those fell to insect plagues being sent after approaching elementals (one going in alone first as a death spell sacrifice). For the final group I added in a couple of Fire Storms to quickly deal with Zallanora before he tried to run away.
    enaexgcdkxtb.jpg

At the Bridge District Shield of the Archons protected against various traps, including the potentially deadly maze one to get the berserk warrior. Investigating the skinner murders then gained me another level.
    qdle90hsirdp.jpg
    The Rune Assassins in the house couldn't even hit fire elementals - the bone golem could, but didn't get much opportunity to do so.
    h8mzm5y7o0qq.jpg
    A similar process of pulling enemies into elementals dealt with Dracandros, while some insects chased an elemental round Captain Dennis's room until a Fire Storm had the chance to join in the fun.
    ow0v58tmby2t.jpg

Collecting a ransom for a kidnapped noblewoman set my reputation back a couple of points, but reporting in to Lt Aegisfield and then using elementals on the Fallen Paladins soon remedied that.
    6jhjcsv2cl4k.jpg

Sir Sarles got some genuine illithium (as I can't use the MoD) after Neb was burnt to a crisp.
    okmooi65l2s9.jpg
    I hadn't used spirits so far today, so gave them an outing to recover a relic for the Lathander temple.
    krfgru3y0m4e.jpg
    While in that area I also bought the Buckler of the Fist from the Black Market Thief - I'd made sure to keep that in inventory at the end of SoD, so that it would be available for sale in BG2EE.

Those temple quests take quite a long time for not much reward, but there were still a few minutes left in the session - time enough to dive into the Temple sewers to grab a cloak and eliminate a troll problem in the sewers.
    vp41w7wvp6wb.jpgs06xxj84ru4t.jpg
    Next time I'll dive a bit deeper there on the way to getting the Ring of Gaxx.

Shaman 16, 95 HPs, kills 215 (+479 in BGEE/SoD)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Pearl, Ruva, Valos, Rila Lira, Poppy, and Yi Grovana in IWD2:EE
    Part 4

Guthma's chambers are crawling with enemies, including some of the largest concentrations of spellcasters in the game. Web is very important for disrupting spells and holding the numerous fighters at bay.
    whiw6ot2auyr.jpg
    Up north, Valos is tanking a gang of spellcasters with her innate spell resistance and ludicrous Deep Gnome monk AC. When a Hold Person gets past her excellent defenses, though, we have to haul the whole party over to bail her out, since sending in our cleric alone could get her killed. Unfortunately, this exposes our vulnerable sorcerer to a sudden death by Flame Arrow.
    yyt9by9wybjp.jpg
    Undaunted, we press forward and tackle Guthma and his top cronies rather than leave to resurrect our sorcerer. Yi Grovana nails the enemy spellcasters with a lucky Sleep spell, Rila Lira paralyzes a couple more critters with Hold Monster, and Ruva butchers the bugbear chieftain with the returning throwing axe we looted from Vunarg's body. Those triple damage critical hits are so satisfying.
    b8q9sylxjidg.jpg
    We clear out the fortress and head home, burning thousands of gold on resurrecting our sorcerer and buying an Elemental Breach Wand, which imposes a non-cumulative -10 penalty to elemental damage to a single target with no save.

That means, for example, a flaming morningstar will deal 10 extra fire damage to a critter with no resistances. That could be very useful against a certain half-dragon fighter/mage coming up soon.

It's time to leave Targos forever and make our way to the ice temple. Normally the ice temple is a nightmare to navigate, but it's a lot smoother in EE.

We hit level 8 after crashing in the hills, go bankrupt again when Yi Grovana gets gobbled up by some stray spiders, and trudge north to face an entire village of druids and rangers--Andora.

Andora is really tough in EE. The enemies will gleefully spam Entangle, animal summoning spells, and Alicorn Lance, dealing non-resistable 4d6 piercing damage per hit and bypassing AC, and both the rangers and druids attack with ammunition that deals 1d6 cold damage on hit. It's an absolute swarm of little bits of piercing and cold damage, and the leader, a VERY high-level ranger that deals crazy damage with a crossbow and can cast Improved Invisibility as well as healing spells on himself, can easily butcher any of our characters one-on-one.

Fortunately, Yi Grovana can cast Protection from Missiles on several party members, and both our cleric and druid can cast long-last Minor Elemental Barrier spells that will give everyone 10/- cold resistance or better. We can still take huge damage from the summoned enemies and Alicorn Lance, but we'll be much sturdier in this long, drawn-out fight.

First up, we have a high-level druid to tackle, Odea Winterthaw, and a band of humans and winter wolves on top. Pearl holds back most of the enemies with Entangle while Valos shuts down Odea Winterthaw's spellcasting with the Moonblade.
    qvmtm7ep5nlu.jpg
    Notice the highly-visible Call Lightning spell--this hit only did 10 damage (it's 1d10/level), but Call Lightning is actually stronger than in vanilla, striking every 5 rounds instead of every 10 rounds. The drawback is that it can't be stacked; vanilla druids used to be able to cast one Call Lightning after another and have them strike round after round.

We clean house pretty easily thanks to the Moonblade and Pearl's giant bear claws, but we get caught in our own Entangle spells, and lose precious rounds of our defensive buffs on the way to the next phase of the fight.

Illium Ar'Ghrenoir, the head ranger of Andora, has an incredible attack bonus of +50. Valos' AC is 46. All other enemies around have a 5% hit chance against Valos, but Illium has a 95% hit rate for his first two attacks per round. And because I didn't think she would need it, Valos has no Protection from Arrows buff to reduce the damage.
    b76irk3ve7jc.jpg
    Illium casts Improved Invisibility, which we counter with a simple Dispel Illusions spell. Then we nail him with the Wand of Elemental Breaching and Pearl launches a Rainstorm spell, which also lowers his electricity resistance. He starts taking heavy electricity damage, along with all his buddies.
    43od1smhl6tj.jpg
    Yi Grovana tries to damage him with Minute Meteors, but his resistances hold strong in spite of the Wand of Elemental Breaching. Rila Lira, however, can deal huge damage with acid bullets.
    bkul4215vzy6.jpg
    But Illium is very sturdy, with a massive HP pool, and we can't take him down fast. He falls back and lures us closer, putting a few of us into Entangle spells and exposing Ruva to attack from the other rangers and druids. I foolishly let Valos stray away from Rila Lira, who has been keeping her alive with spontaneously-cast healing spells all the while.
    oki1k6kfa5gh.jpg
    She downs a potion and barely makes it back to our cleric in time to survive. Our defenses run low as we make our way to the next batch of enemies, so I speed things up with a Potion of Explosions to save us from some high-damage Arrows of Ice.
    iuv45khbntlg.jpg
    A crash erases our victory, but we get through it a second time with a similar strategy. We use Poppy's party-friendly Web spells instead of relying just on Pearl's party-unfriendly Entangle spells, and while a mis-timed Dispel Illusions spell lets Illium keep his Improved Invisibility buff, he nonetheless rolls a 1 against a Shout spell and gets stunned. We deal enough damage with acid bullets despite his invisibility for Poppy to finish him off with a Lance of Disruption.
    a6iodea8ud3b.jpg
    Now we have to deal with the Aurilite priests in the ice temple, and a round of Minor Elemental Barriers will not be enough. These priests can cast Ice Storm, dealing 4d6 crushing and 4d6 cold damage with no saving throw. Valos' evasion is useless.
    o771d2fmz3ci.jpg
    However, we have an amazing trump card: Remove Magic! As a druid, Pearl can cast it as a level 4 spell, and with 2 pips in Spell Focus: Abjuration/Transmutation and maxed-out Wisdom, it has a save DC of over 30. It completely destroy the enemies' buffs!
    ds1n4jb66woj.jpg
    Remove Magic will be absolutely key throughout the game. EE spellcasters use pre-buffs, and a solid Remove Magic save DC can break a lot of spellcaster fights, especially with mages.

Before we get into the ice temple interior, we have to take down Sherincal, the high-level fighter/mage with an innate fear aura, lots of lightning bolts from her breath weapon, and high spell resistance. She has amazing stats across the board, and she comes bolstered by a wave of enemies, both barbarians and various priests (though fortunately we dispatched the nearby necromancers so they can't ambush us during this fight).

Here's our party right before our first bout with a half-dragon:
    l2gblc3ivn8m.jpg
    vl1ixycahlao.jpg
    kq7vb6dx1mfb.jpg
    wagynicw4tnh.jpg
    10se79ly7r6b.jpg
    vnbmidxkr3mh.jpg
    We have a lot of tools at our disposal. But the battle proves anti-climactic.

Sherincal only has a Will save of 11. She easily fails her save against Pearl's jacked-up Remove Magic spell, wrecking her defenses. We nail her with the Wand of Elemental Breaching and concentrate our fire on her, and Yi Grovana lands the killing blow with Minute Meteors.
    mn2d8l7wrdp1.jpg
    nq4tw6zbqw4v.jpg
    We finally hit level 9, right before entering the temple itself. Poppy won't be leveling up until she can use her level 9 feat to take another rank in Safe Spell, making her 3rd- and 4th-level spells party-friendly, but the rest of the party moves up.

Rila Lira takes another rank in the Extended Spell feat, and since we've just bought a Ring of Lesser Extending, that means ALL of her spells, even the level 5 ones, have double duration. She can now cast Ethereal Jaunt.

And Ethereal Jaunt lets us walk through walls.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Jabberwock: I think you're going to enjoy IWD2EE when it comes out. The experience is much smoother, and enemy behavior much more interesting.
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 998
    @GemHound You don't really need a healer in BG 1. There are loads of blue potions around. Also, I see you have 3 fighter types. Fighters can just burn down enemies quick in BG 1. You got Kivan too, and bows are strong in BG 1. Keep in mind I'm speaking of vanilla EE - if you have SCS, that may change things.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2020
    @GemHound You don't really need a healer in BG 1. There are loads of blue potions around. Also, I see you have 3 fighter types. Fighters can just burn down enemies quick in BG 1. You got Kivan too, and bows are strong in BG 1. Keep in mind I'm speaking of vanilla EE - if you have SCS, that may change things.

I'm fully aware. I've soloed BG1 as an assassin. I think her name was something like Victasaadi Falconsflight.
    Edit: Added a picture from 2013
    AJm5T9s.png