Skip to content

Road to 2.6 | Can you Download, Launch & Save games in the Baldur's Gate 2.6.0.4 Beta on Steam?

srdbeamdogsrdbeamdog Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 15
edited November 2020 in The Road to 2.6
Greetings Friends,

Thanks for all your help on the Road to 2.6 so far! Based on your feedback, we’ve updated the beta to get it working properly on macOS and Linux. Now we want to make sure that everyone is on the same page before we move on to the next phase of testing together.

Test Objective: Launch & Save the Baldur's Gate 2.6.0.4 Beta on Steam

How to Participate:
Please fill out the survey below and confirm whether you can complete the following three actions in the Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition beta on Steam:
  • Download the Beta
  • Launch the Beta
  • Save games in the Beta

Remember the Ground Rules:
  • Back up your save games!
  • Don't test too much. While you're free to explore the whole game, please focus on the objective. Once you hit the objective or a major bug, report your feedback and stop playing the beta for now. We'll be back with more test objectives that we hope you'll take on in the future

Once we have confirmation from enough players—and can confirm there are no blocking issues— we'll move onto the next test objectives!

Testing Status:
We've opened up beta testing to the Steam Forums, but we still need more macOS testers! Tell your friends! :)

From our Steam event & external testing we've added 49 Windows, 4 macOS & 10 Linux players to the count!
  • 94/50 Windows Players [Done!]
  • 11/10 macOS Players
  • 16/10 Linux Players [Done!]

You can check out the 2.6 Patch List here for more details on what the full release will look like.
  1. Road to 2.6 | Can you Download, Launch & Save games in the Baldur's Gate 2.6.0.4 Beta on Steam?73 votes
    1. Windows | I have downloaded and started Baldur’s Gate. Save games and quick saves work as expected.
      78.08%
    2. macOS | I have downloaded and started Baldur’s Gate. Save games and quick saves work as expected.
      10.96%
    3. Linux | I have downloaded and started Baldur’s Gate. Save games and quick saves work as expected.
        8.22%
    4. I was unable to get the start screen (please explain).
        0.00%
    5. I was able to start the game, but there is an issue with save games (please explain).
        2.74%
Post edited by srdbeamdog on
JuliusBorisovBubbgugulug5000SkatanArviaProontAciferCrevsDaakMillisar

Comments

• gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    I downloaded it and loaded my save file just fine, but whenever I go to save it, it says I can't save while in a conversation. Usually when I try two or three times it'll finally let me save it though. Additionally, water in barrels and troughs in the city of Baldur's Gate appears as if it is being highlighted with the tab button. The world map also looked like all of the areas were grayed out initially, but after clicking around a few times they all appeared normal again and didn't go back to being grayed out.
    JuliusBorisov
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 626
    Worked fine.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    I have downloaded and started Baldur’s Gate. Save games and quick saves work as expected.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I downloaded it and loaded my save file just fine, but whenever I go to save it, it says I can't save while in a conversation. Usually when I try two or three times it'll finally let me save it though. Additionally, water in barrels and troughs in the city of Baldur's Gate appears as if it is being highlighted with the tab button. The world map also looked like all of the areas were grayed out initially, but after clicking around a few times they all appeared normal again and didn't go back to being grayed out.

Do you happen to have any of these issues if you start a new game in the beta?
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Works like a charm.
    JuliusBorisov
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    All good here :thumbsup:
    JuliusBorisov
  • 1030ooo1030ooo Member Posts: 4
    What's the minimum OS version requirement for MacOS user? Is MacOS 10.12 still get supported for this 2.6 patch?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    1030ooo wrote: »
    What's the minimum OS version requirement for MacOS user? Is MacOS 10.12 still get supported for this 2.6 patch?

It should be configured to run on 10.9, but confirming that is one of the goals of this phase. Please do test and provide your feedback. If it doesn't run on 10.12, we'll fix that.
  • smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    No problem starting the game and saving/loading on my mac.
    JuliusBorisov
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    No problems at all.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    No problems here, either. Works smoothly so far. (Although I didn't continue playing, only downloaded, started, and tried loading/saving as asked above)
    JuliusBorisov
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248

Do you happen to have any of these issues if you start a new game in the beta?

New game saving seems to work fine. I did a real quick look around up to Beregost for issues with the world map and the water and they don't seem to be a problem in a new save file.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ProontProont Member Posts: 141
    It works fine on Windows 7.
    JuliusBorisov
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    work fine in windows 10
    JuliusBorisov
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Seems to be working as intended.
    I tested saves and quick-saves with an old file as well as saves with a new character. (Windows 10)
    JuliusBorisov
  • SourSour Member Posts: 82
    edited November 2020
    I've played around in candle keep. Saved and loaded new and old saves with no problems for the most part. Every once in a while when I click the load game button the game will instantly crash. It doesn't happen very often but it didn't used to happen at all back before the beta. I could uninstall it and try to re install the game if that would help. It doesn't crash when I click on a game file to load, it crashes when I click the load game button that brings up the list of saved games to load. Hope this helps.

Windows 10 with latest update.
    Asus 390 Strix motherboard
    Intel I9 9900K CPU
    Corsair DDR4 RAM 32GB
    Nvidia 3090 RTX GPU with latest drivers
    Samsung NVME 970 evo 2TB.

I've included the crash log.
    I've also validated my steam install and it didn't find any problems. No mods are installed.
    @Sour The crash log you've posted is from 2.6.0.0.0001 version, not 2.6.0.4. Please check baldur.exe version information and make sure it says 2.6.0.4. It's also possible you already have a newer version and accidentally posted an old dmp file.
  • SourSour Member Posts: 82
    edited November 2020
    Sorry, I'm using 2.6.0.4. but that was my last crash log. It appears that the problem is not producing a log file. It instantly crashes to desktop and doesn't say anything or create a log file. Not much I can do about that.

The crash log I provided was from a few months ago when I was using Intel Integrated graphics and it's the only crash log I have since downloading the beta so it's the only info I can provide. I didn't check the date on it before I uploaded it so please disregard. I'll continue testing and update if I can get any info on what's causing it.

EDIT:

I've probably loaded 1000 saves without any problems. This version seems pretty stable but I don't know what to say about the crash I had. I had two crashes on Intel Integrated graphics with 2.6.0.0.0001 and 1 crash with my Nvidia GPU on 2.6.0.4. All three crashes occurred when I clicked the load save game button. The game instantly closed and I was sitting on the desktop with no error messages. The log file I provided is the only error reported in my system. Sorry I can't be of more help but the game does seem pretty stable overall.
    Post edited by Sour on
    JuliusBorisov
  • KangaxxTheLichKangaxxTheLich Member Posts: 14
    Windows 10 here. Everything works fine.
    JuliusBorisov
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited November 2020
    If it crashes again without producing a log file, may I suggest calling the executable from the command line? BGEE logs a bunch of stuff to Standard Error (STDERR) and automatically prints STDERR back to the command line if it's called that way (somehow even through redirection).

Directions for doing this through steam on Windows if you don't know how:
    1. In Steam, right click on Baldur's Gate and click "Properties"
    2. Under the "Local Files" tab, click "Browse Local files"
    3. In the address bar of the explorer window that comes up, type "cmd" (without quotes)
    4. In the console window that comes up, type "Baldur.exe 2> err.txt" (without quotes)
    5. The newly created file, "err.txt", will contain everything that got written to the console. If there's a crash to desktop that's on the game's side of things, this will include that.
    SoursuyJuliusBorisov
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    Thought I would help the mac testing a bit and installed Steam / BGEE on my work laptop.
    There was a big warning sign (was in french but something like: 'your mac version can't run 32bits games as this one'), even after I opt in the beta but I was still able to run the game and save / load.
    Can't seem to be able to multi vote but you can +1 the 'macOS Players'.
    JuliusBorisovsrdbeamdog
  • srdbeamdogsrdbeamdog Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 15
    Mera wrote: »
    Thought I would help the mac testing a bit and installed Steam / BGEE on my work laptop.
    There was a big warning sign (was in french but something like: 'your mac version can't run 32bits games as this one'), even after I opt in the beta but I was still able to run the game and save / load.
    Can't seem to be able to multi vote but you can +1 the 'macOS Players'.

Thanks for the info, Mera! I'll update the count :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited November 2020
    According to BD's post on twitter I see you want (at least) another 40 people to test this. Unfortunately this is limited to steam users. As I got my copy from GOG, I won't be able to help with this then. Good luck in getting the number of testers you need.

TR
    Prince_RaymondAaemforeverJuliusBorisov
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    What is this "Adventurers of Neverwinter" content I hear has been added in this update?
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    What is this "Adventurers of Neverwinter" content I hear has been added in this update?
    It's a portrait pack.
    JuliusBorisov
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Now, being as passionate about testing things as I am, I didn't want to load and save just any old save file. Anyone could do that! No, I went and found the oldest saved game I could find (from 2013 even!) and loaded that one. It loaded up just fine and saved just fine!
    JuliusBorisov
  • EmeusEmeus Member Posts: 64
    Downloaded the beta on Steam and it runs smoothly on Windows 10. No issue to quick save or manual save as well.

I like the newly added voice btw ;)
    JuliusBorisov
  • AschentAschent Member Posts: 15
    • Downloaded.
    • Loaded a Non-Beta Save without issue.
    • Saved a Beta-Session without issue.
    • Loaded a Beta-Session Save without issue.

Looks good!
    JuliusBorisov
  • SeriouslySurlySeriouslySurly Member Posts: 1
    Downloaded on steam fine.
    Pregenerated character loaded in fine.
    After a quick play through - all chapter saves work
    Quick save/quick load all 4 slots work
    Manual save after chapter 4 loads.
    JuliusBorisov
  • URBOGURBOG Member Posts: 1
    MacOS - all good
    JuliusBorisov