Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited November 2020
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Yay for Biden! Oh wait, Trump can call for yet another recount since the margin was less than 0.5%. The never-ending shitshow...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/19/politics/georgia-recount-election-results/index.html

Literally almost no difference after a hand recount. The fact is, GA and AZ loom large in this. If this was actually close enough to steal, they would do it. I think that is abundantly clear at this point.

The problem they have is the same problem they had running against Biden. They didn't change the playbook from their expectation of facing Bernie, and, in this case, their plan assumed only WI, MI and PA would need to be contested, and moving one of them could shift things. But they didn't count on Biden adding AZ and GA, and now their focus solely on the Rust Belt is meaningless (well, legally meaningless, what they are doing matters quite a bit).
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Yay for Biden! Oh wait, Trump can call for yet another recount since the margin was less than 0.5%. The never-ending shitshow...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/19/politics/georgia-recount-election-results/index.html

Literally almost no difference after a hand recount. The fact is, GA and AZ loom large in this. If this was actually close enough to steal, they would do it. I think that is abundantly clear at this point.

The problem they have is the same problem they had running against Biden. They didn't change the playbook from their expectation of facing Bernie, and, in this case, their plan assumed only WI, MI and PA would need to be contested, and moving one of them could shift things. But they didn't count on Biden adding AZ and GA, and now their focus solely on the Rust Belt is meaningless (well, legally meaningless, what they are doing matters quite a bit).

I just hope my dad didn't sink too much of my inheritance into this shyster's coffers... ?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    If he did it's going to $20k a day to fund Rudy's hair dye.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    How reliable is this voter fraud map? https://www.heritage.org/voterfraud
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited November 2020
    Feeling a sense of deja vu here.

Can we just honor the results of state elections already? Faithless electors are anti democratic.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/12/15/opinions/faithless-electors-save-america-piro/index.html?__twitter_impression=true
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Feeling a sense of deja vu here.

Can we just honor the results of state elections already? Faithless electors are anti democratic.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/12/15/opinions/faithless-electors-save-america-piro/index.html?__twitter_impression=true

The difference in argument, and I didn’t agree with it then, is that Clinton at least had the popular vote to fall back on to suggest it.

Trump has the voices in his head.
    Today's Trump Treason Coup News So Far

Michigan Republican leader is meeting with Trump at White House to discuss coup

https://m.metrotimes.com/news-hits/archives/2020/11/20/michigan-republican-leader-is-meeting-with-trump-at-white-house-to-discuss-coup

There are also discussions currently underway with the President about inviting Republican state legislators from Pennsylvania to the White House

Trump lawyers filed a motion in Pennsylvania to clarify they only want to block the state from certifying results of the presidential elections, not any other races on the same ballot.

Trump's lawyers are only arguing that Pennsylvania votes in the presidential election are corrupt. They filed papers in court saying they did not contest votes in any other Pennsylvania election.
    Trump wants all 6.8 million Pennsylvania votes for president thrown out.

Trump also asked the court to give him control of all Pennsylvania's electoral college votes.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-lawyers-pennsylvania-motion-only-block-certifying-presidential-election-results-2020-11
    You also have Senator Lindsey graham phoning multiple states telling them to commit election fraud and toss legal ballots until they get the results that they want.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    Trump wants all in person early votes thrown out in Milwaukee and Dane county. Those are the two most Democratic counties in the state. Every other county is apparently fine.

It's just obvious on the face of it. They dont have evidence of widespread fraud, and they're only trying to turn over every stone in states that Trump needs to win, and only in the Presidential race.

The idea that any of this is authentic is about as laughable as when people were saying Trump is against corruption. In retrospect, the level of corruption we're seeing *right* now makes that even more obvious for its bullshit.
    Because the vaccine roll-out is going to overlap almost EXACTLY with the Administrations changing, this is arguably the MOST important transition period in history. And we aren't even getting a begrudging one. Trump and the Republicans betraying this country to the last.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited November 2020

My guess is it's pretty reliable. It's worth considering the statistics though. The database has been running almost 40 years and covers all type of elections, petitions and ballot initiatives - both national and local. The number of votes involved in those must be into the tens of thousands of millions.

I was going on here to look at the context of this level of fraud and had remembered that MIT had done some work on it. When I went to find that though, I found that it was specifically inspired by the Heritage list :p. The main concentration of their comment related to voting by mail, but the picture for all types of voting is very similar, so I'll let the MIT statement provide the context rather than continuing with my own:

"Widespread calls to conduct the 2020 elections by mail, to protect voters from COVID-19 exposure, are being met with charges that the system inevitably would lead to massive voter fraud. This is simply not true.

Vote fraud in the United States is exceedingly rare, with mailed ballots and otherwise. Over the past 20 years, about 250 million votes have been cast by a mail ballot nationally. The Heritage Foundation maintains an online database of election fraud cases in the United States and reports that there have been just over 1,200 cases of vote fraud of all forms, resulting in 1,100 criminal convictions, over the past 20 years. Of these, 204 involved the fraudulent use of absentee ballots; 143 resulted in criminal convictions.

Let’s put that data in perspective.

One hundred forty-three cases of fraud using mailed ballots over the course of 20 years comes out to seven to eight cases per year, nationally. It also means that across the 50 states, there has been an average of three cases per state over the 20-year span. That is just one case per state every six or seven years. We are talking about an occurrence that translates to about 0.00006 percent of total votes cast.

Oregon is the state that started mailing ballots to all voters in 2000 and has worked diligently to put in place stringent security measures, as well as strict punishments for those who would tamper with a mailed ballot. For that state, the following numbers apply: With well over 50 million ballots cast, there have been only two fraud cases verifiable enough to result in convictions for mail-ballot fraud in 20 years. That is 0.000004 percent — about five times less likely than getting hit by lightning in the United States."
    edited November 2020
    Grond0 wrote: »

My guess is it's pretty reliable. It's worth considering the statistics though. The database has been running almost 40 years and covers all type of elections, petitions and ballot initiatives - both national and local. The number of votes involved in those must be into the tens of thousands of millions.

I was going on here to look at the context of this level of fraud and had remembered that MIT had done some work on it. When I went to find that though, I found that it was specifically inspired by the Heritage list :p. The main concentration of their comment related to voting by mail, but the picture for all types of voting is very similar, so I'll let the MIT statement provide the context rather than continuing with my own:

"Widespread calls to conduct the 2020 elections by mail, to protect voters from COVID-19 exposure, are being met with charges that the system inevitably would lead to massive voter fraud. This is simply not true.

Vote fraud in the United States is exceedingly rare, with mailed ballots and otherwise. Over the past 20 years, about 250 million votes have been cast by a mail ballot nationally. The Heritage Foundation maintains an online database of election fraud cases in the United States and reports that there have been just over 1,200 cases of vote fraud of all forms, resulting in 1,100 criminal convictions, over the past 20 years. Of these, 204 involved the fraudulent use of absentee ballots; 143 resulted in criminal convictions.

Let’s put that data in perspective.

One hundred forty-three cases of fraud using mailed ballots over the course of 20 years comes out to seven to eight cases per year, nationally. It also means that across the 50 states, there has been an average of three cases per state over the 20-year span. That is just one case per state every six or seven years. We are talking about an occurrence that translates to about 0.00006 percent of total votes cast.

Oregon is the state that started mailing ballots to all voters in 2000 and has worked diligently to put in place stringent security measures, as well as strict punishments for those who would tamper with a mailed ballot. For that state, the following numbers apply: With well over 50 million ballots cast, there have been only two fraud cases verifiable enough to result in convictions for mail-ballot fraud in 20 years. That is 0.000004 percent — about five times less likely than getting hit by lightning in the United States."

In other words, it would be both theoretically and mathematically impossible to steal any election decided by more than 1-5 votes (have their been ANY elections with a margin that small??). Not 500, not even 50, but 5. And this is the cart the GOP rides in on as an excuse for wholesale attempts at disenfranchisement. The entire concept is basically a right-wing urban legend (emphasis on the urban in this case).

If someone wants to make the case as to why the Republican position on this ISN'T racist to it's core, they will have to explain why, magically, they never allege fraud in predominantly white and rural areas, nor are their policies enacted to prevent a non-existent problem ever focused in those areas. Only in cities, only in places with a high population of minorities and college students. When Rudy Giuliani says the word "Detroit" with disgust in his delivery, understand he is talking about a city that is 80% black. This is not an accident.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Infinite lawsuits, sitting President inviting state reps to White House to strong-arm them into overturning results in select states, the entire national party playing along vs......John Podesta agreeing some electors get some intelligence information. Yeah, I'd say the popular vote argument isn't the only reason the scales aren't equal here. If the goal here is equivalence, it's the difference between a match and 100 people with flamethrowers.

Infinite lawsuits, wow. It takes some truly epic level denial to consider the years worth of lawsuits against Trump personally as of a smaller scale and of lesser importance than the, what, 2 weeks we have been seeing lawsuits past the election?

Or that the only actor who ever cast doubt on the legitimacy of the 2016 election was John Podesta, rather than almost everyone on the left, media figure and politician alike. The dishonesty is so flagrant it's like, what's the point here? Observable reality, memory, nothing is real so long as it doesn't paint them in the best possible light.

Even during the campaign Clinton was already setting the stage for the Russia conspiracy to take place. This is BEFORE the Podesta email leaks, the very basis of the Russia investigation in the first place. At this point in time, there is absolutely no reason to be saying these things. It makes everything that happens later that much more obvious.

Every major figure in the Democratic Party was supporting it the entire time, and to this very day continue to repeat the conspiracy.

Major Media organizations to this day continue to assert the conspiracy:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/22/politics/trump-putin-election-interference-intelligence-assessment/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/27/opinions/trump-biden-election-russia-putin-fishman/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/16/opinions/trump-russia-giuliani-vinograd/index.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/11/opinions/russia-vladimir-putin-election-meddling-zwack/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/19/opinion/trump-russia-2016-report.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/08/us/politics/trump-russia.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/30/us/politics/trump-russia-justice-department.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/world/europe/russia-china-trump-election.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-russia-putin/2020/10/24/4edb462e-13bb-11eb-ba42-ec6a580836ed_story.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/09/21/russian-agent-trump-counterintelligence/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/09/01/more-evidence-trumps-subservience-putin-we-still-dont-know-why/

Meanwhile policy around Russia has been anything but universally favorable and more than once has he ratcheted up military tensions against them.

It got so bad that polls have shown a majority of Democrats believe Russia literally hacked voting machines:

3siqfzs63vhc.jpg

Which is classic conspiracy theory thinking, literally of the same kind being presented now. This didn't come out of a nowhere, it was a mindset deliberately cultivated by mainstream news organizations and the highest politicians in the land.

Democrats and Resistance types wanted Trump impeached or imprisoned. 3 years of time were devoted to the politics surrounding that very question, with all major leftist media and influencers supporting it wholeheartedly. After 2 weeks of failing court cases about audits and recounts, now it's not equivalent and the Republicans have been so much worse. Utter, demonstrable horseshit. But such is the case of most democrat/republican comparisons here.
    edited November 2020
    Democrats having a opinion about the Russia investigation is now somehow equivalent to actively attempting to throw out the election results in multiple states. As I've said before, impeachment has nothing to do with "accepting the validity of an election", because even a successful one does not do so. It's a constitutional remedy to Presidential criminality, and even if it is successful, transfers power to an elected Vice President.

I'm aware of the Aaron Mate, Glenn Greenwald, Michael Tracey view on the situation. Intimately familiar. I get it. The contrarian left are making a living off the false equivalency.
    edited November 2020
    We'll never get a full reckoning, because all the major players lied to investigators, were found guilty of doing so, and 2/3rds of them were either pardoned by Trump or had Bill Barr interfere to drop the charges. It was and is no different than mafia soldiers taking the years so the boss can't be implicated.

Trump's fit about losing the election isn't even specifically about not getting to be President anymore. It's the fact that his blanket immunity to criminal charges for him and his family is about to go up in smoke, and that banks are gonna start to demand payment on his loans, which he can't pay back.\

Biden's Justice Department is now in an impossible situation, because Trump and his children and cohorts are, without question, criminals. But any actual prosecution of what they did will be viewed and framed as nothing but retribution. So they will likely skate on everything because the entire thing is now a Catch-22.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Which is classic conspiracy theory thinking, literally of the same kind being presented now. This didn't come out of a nowhere, it was a mindset deliberately cultivated by mainstream news organizations and the highest politicians in the land.

Democrats and Resistance types wanted Trump impeached or imprisoned. 3 years of time were devoted to the politics surrounding that very question, with all major leftist media and influencers supporting it wholeheartedly. After 2 weeks of failing court cases about audits and recounts, now it's not equivalent and the Republicans have been so much worse. Utter, demonstrable horseshit. But such is the case of most democrat/republican comparisons here.

I agree there's a problem associated with belief in conspiracy theories. However, the fact remains that you are attempting to equate 2 different things - Democrat claims that Russia influenced the 2016 election are not comparable with the multitude of tweets from Trump claiming fraud in the election or the large number of lawsuits doing the same.

The NY Times and Washington Post articles are behind paywalls for me, but none of the tweets and none of the CNN articles suggested that votes were tampered with. They did refer to Russia having attempted to influence the election, but that really should not be controversial - all US intelligence agencies have been saying that for years. There were also references to troubling links between Russia and the Trump campaign - and again the fact that there were such links is not controversial. I don't want to relitigate the Mueller report, but it was clear from that there were links - it just said those did not provide evidence of a criminal conspiracy.

The facts remain:
    - that Clinton conceded the election as soon as it was called for Trump and has never said that the result should be overturned.
    - Obama started the transition process at an early stage and invited Trump into the White House. Again he has never called the result into question.
    - compare that with Trump who called into question the result of the 2016 election - until he realized he'd won it. He did the same in 2020 and then doubled down (and double-doubled down etc etc) once he realized that he'd lost this time.

I know you believe that the 'mainstream media' wield a lot of influence, but equating the odd opinion article that did cast doubt on the 2016 election result with the current concerted campaign by Trump, aided by quite a few other Republicans, to convince voters the 2020 election was won by fraud just seems bizarre to me.
    edited November 2020
    Yet more examples are "you can't fact check me because you have biases!"

They just want to lie lie lie.

Republicans are bad for America.
    Donald Trump Jr.

Rick Scott

Chuck Grassley

Among Republicans with coronavirus.

Ben Carson says he's getting better but was desperately ill.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Ironically enough the “both sides are as bad as each other” narrative is one that is consistently promoted in numerous countries by Russia and other ‘bad actors’, in order to degrade the functionality of electoral democracies across the world. At present that appears to have become- for the most part - a self-perpetuating system within the Republican party’s ideology however, and really doesn’t need any help from outside. For what it’s worth even Russia are perfectly happy to see the back of Trump’s unpredictability for now though professional analysts are reporting.

The refusal of the Republican party to accept electoral defeat, and the willingness of much of their base to believe it, could be highly problematic going forward. Refusal to accept electoral defeat has a corrosive effect on national coherency. Just take a look at the electoral history of a country like Bangladesh...
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'm watching the Transgender Day of Remembrance livestream and I'm crying... The SAGA leaders are friends of mine and hearing Gideon tell us they would always be there for us hit so hard.

I didn't think it would affect me this much. They're singing a hymn now, a group of people all singing from separate homes, together on one screen. It's about not being alone when you're a member of a community.

There are 37 names to read today. It's an incomplete number because law enforcement misgenders trans folks after death; this is just the ones we know.
    "Name unknown, between ages 16 and 20. Died June 6, 2020."
    This is why politics can't be an impersonal thing anymore. It will always be directly entwined with the physical safety of the people I love. They will always be in danger until we're treated as equal to cis people.
    One of the ladies from SAGA, one of the former presidents I think, is talking about the color issue. Every year, the trans people who were killed for their identity are nearly all trans women of color.
    edited November 2020
    Just feeling overwhelmed by all the love shown in the livestream and the folks talking about it on our Discord and on Facebook.

I'm not the only one who cried during the broadcast.