Skip to content

COVID-19

Comments

• ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    jastey wrote: »
    @Arvia in the school of my kids it's "Mask everywhere including outside during break but not during classes". Classes are as full as normal, no chance to keep the required minimum distance. And to only meet people of one other household during free time is as far as I know government regulation for whole Germany currently.

The wide variety of regulations is certainly not helpful. I must have assumed the regional rules concerning masks were general ones. It's hard to keep track.

I see what you mean about only one household, that's for meetings in public places. I was thinking of kids meeting at home.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,673
    @Arvia wait, what - we can meet with more than one household if we stay indoors - ok, I give up, I don't understand the logic behind the Lockdown rules any more. This basically means the kids can't play and run outside with more than one friend but gathering indoors is ok. :|:| Nope, don't get it.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    jastey wrote: »
    @Arvia wait, what - we can meet with more than one household if we stay indoors - ok, I give up, I don't understand the logic behind the Lockdown rules any more. This basically means the kids can't play and run outside with more than one friend but gathering indoors is ok. :|:| Nope, don't get it.

@jastey, I don't understand it, either. I guess it's because more is required before the government can order people what to do in their own homes (and especially to control those orders), as opposed to public places.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    It occurs to me that it is now crystal clear (at least from the standpoint of the US) that the response to COVID-19 means the ongoing fight against climate change is completely, utterly hopeless.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It worries me that our responses to major crises tend to be arguments between "this will kill lots of people" and "it won't completely eradicate all life on earth," as if the latter made the crisis too small to tackle.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited November 2020
    semiticgod wrote: »
    It worries me that our responses to major crises tend to be arguments between "this will kill lots of people" and "it won't completely eradicate all life on earth," as if the latter made the crisis too small to tackle.

People don't generally like being told what to do. The attitude is worse in Western society right now (especially the US) but they don't get a pass in the East. I don't think many Westerners are drinking rhino-horn tea so they can get it up. They use the blue pill over here...
    https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN2831S1

q477xzbdri6x.jpg

"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all."
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Biden is going to have to fumigate the White House after so many super spreader events.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Unless the white house is infested by Conan the Bacterium, they'd probably be better off irradiating the entire interior.

TR
    Here's something to make you wonder if anything has really changed in over 100 years - Thanksgiving in a Pandemic (just not our pandemic).

TR
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    This is some outside of the box thinking on traditional gatherings. A 'reverse' Santa Claus Parade. I can actually see this type of thing becoming the new norm. Who wants to stand outside and freeze to death while they watch slow moving floats pass by. It's such a popular concept that the reservations were filled up within 24 hours. https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/special-rules-to-attend-windsors-reverse-santa-claus-parade-this-saturday
    edited December 2020
    Situation here in the UK reminds me of this section from the Hawkwind song "Right to Decide" -
    Life's a no-go area it's so obscene

You can't do this, you can't do that
    You can't go forward and you can't go back
    You can't do this, you can't do that
    You can't go forward and you can't go back

TR
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited December 2020
    Post edited by dunbar on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    dunbar wrote: »

I rather like the newspaper headline for that: "Taming of the flu".
    Re. William Shakespear. It gets better. This particular WS lives in the county of Warwickshire which is the county that has as its main attraction the world famous town of Stratford Upon Avon. The home of the Elizabethan playwright of the same name.

TR
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Can anyone convince me of the wisdom of vaccinating old people in care homes before, say, teachers?
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,673
    bleusteel wrote: »
    Can anyone convince me of the wisdom of vaccinating old people in care homes before, say, teachers?

@bleusteel total numbers of deaths so far in comparison betwen teachers and old people in care houses, I would say. At least I am not aware of xx deaths of teachers per school due an internal outbreak.

Can anyone convince me of the wisdom of vaccinating our front-line people first with rushed vaccines? What if, God forbid, it turns out something goes awry with one of them. We'd be up Shit Creek if our healthcare people were the first ones affected...
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    @jastey @Grond0 @dunbar

Thank you for your replies. I’m still not convinced that vaccinating people with such limited usefulness is making the best use of a scarce resource. Many of them could be dead within a year anyway while schools and businesses remain closed indefinitely. Speaking mainly for the USA, of course. Our social safety net isn’t as robust as Europe/Canada.

@Balrog99 Maybe the mRNA treatment will one day cure cancer. Or it could make tomorrow’s super bug that wipes out humanity. Fun with science.

Thank you for your replies. I’m still not convinced that vaccinating people with such limited usefulness is making the best use of a scarce resource. Many of them could be dead within a year anyway while schools and businesses remain closed indefinitely. Speaking mainly for the USA, of course. Our social safety net isn’t as robust as Europe/Canada.

Balrog99 Maybe the mRNA treatment will one day cure cancer. Or it could make tomorrow’s super bug that wipes out humanity. Fun with science.

When success is measured with statistics, lowering the death rate is more important than immunizing those ‘deemed’ worthy.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    deltago wrote: »

Balrog99 Maybe the mRNA treatment will one day cure cancer. Or it could make tomorrow’s super bug that wipes out humanity. Fun with science.

When success is measured with statistics, lowering the death rate is more important than immunizing those ‘deemed’ worthy.

Lowering the death rate is ALWAYS more important than deeming some people more or less "worthy" than others.
    @jastey @Grond0 @dunbar

@Balrog99 Maybe the mRNA treatment will one day cure cancer. Or it could make tomorrow’s super bug that wipes out humanity. Fun with science.

I totally agree. Think we should get healthcare workers including those that would bring covid to care homes but not necessarily the care home elderly themselves so high on the priority. There's younger people with compromised immune systems, cops, firefighters, and things like that I'd put ahead. To help elderly care home people just vaccinate nurses and doctors. Limit visitation until visitors get vaccinated.
    ThacoBell wrote: »

Lowering the death rate is ALWAYS more important than deeming some people more or less "worthy" than others.

Well, if we’re talking about the US, I wouldn’t be surprised if they charged for the vaccine. Everyone will get it, but those that can afford to pay will get it first.

It’s why I think Trump wants the vaccine by the end of the year, so he can push this and get one of his cronies to roll out the program to profit off of it. If he can’t get it by the end of the year, he and his administration is going to set up as many roadblocks as possible to make it look like Biden is fumbling the roll out.
    ThacoBell wrote: »

Well, if we’re talking about the US, I wouldn’t be surprised if they charged for the vaccine. Everyone will get it, but those that can afford to pay will get it first.

It’s why I think Trump wants the vaccine by the end of the year, so he can push this and get one of his cronies to roll out the program to profit off of it. If he can’t get it by the end of the year, he and his administration is going to set up as many roadblocks as possible to make it look like Biden is fumbling the roll out.

"Vaccine doses purchased with U.S. taxpayer dollars will be given to the American people at no cost. However, vaccination providers will be able to charge an administration fee for giving the shot to someone."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/faq.html#:~:text=Vaccine doses purchased with US,the shot to someone.

Free vaccine, $700 for someone to poke you! USA, USA, USA...