Skip to content

COVID-19

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    There's a fund, the Health Resources and Services Administration’s Provider Relief Fund, that could help pay for vaccine fees alongside insurance. But it's possible the administration fee could still be high.
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    I can’t wait for the “COVID vaccine killed my grandma!” crowd to materialize. Never mind that grandma was 90 and could have been killed by literally anything.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    bleusteel wrote: »
    I can’t wait for the “COVID vaccine killed my grandma!” crowd to materialize. Never mind that grandma was 90 and could have been killed by literally anything.

My grandma got run over by a reindeer... ?
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    edited December 2020
    Post edited by Michelle on
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

That is a really cheap shot. Someone loves those people and the callousness of that statement is pathetic.

Who would blame the vaccine for killing grandma except people with an anti-vax agenda.

It's inevitable that these bad faith people do this though.

After all these same people are already pushing that Bill Gates is microchipping people in vaccines.

That is a really cheap shot. Someone loves those people and the callousness of that statement is pathetic.

It’s also the opinion of the dissent vote at the CDC to give the vaccine to the elderly in care homes first. Giving a new vaccine to such a frail population just seems like a bad idea. The vaccine needs as much good press coverage as possible so as many people get it as possible. It just isn’t rational.
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    edited December 2020
    Post edited by Michelle on
    edited December 2020
    Sorry for your loss but I guarantee you that you are not the only one to lose someone you love that meant a lot to you. A lot of us have. You don't have to lecture us on loss.

Many people here have lost grandparents, parents, siblings, spouses, children. I've lost 4/5 of those groups and damn near made it to all 5 over Thanksgiving.
    edited December 2020
    We need to get people to wear masks or your dick might not work.
    We need to get people to wear masks or your dick might not work.

Subtle way of influencing anti-maskers? I guarantee you that those types are very concerned about how 'Little Johnny' is performing... ?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

It’s also the opinion of the dissent vote at the CDC to give the vaccine to the elderly in care homes first. Giving a new vaccine to such a frail population just seems like a bad idea. The vaccine needs as much good press coverage as possible so as many people get it as possible. It just isn’t rational.

I imagine that the COVID vaccine has already had more testing than the average flu vaccine. They have maybe, what, a couple weeks to roll out for flu season at most?

I'll probably wait on the vaccine for my family only because they have compromised immune systems. We'll see what our doctor says.
    ThacoBell wrote: »

I imagine that the COVID vaccine has already had more testing than the average flu vaccine. They have maybe, what, a couple weeks to roll out for flu season at most?

I'll probably wait on the vaccine for my family only because they have compromised immune systems. We'll see what our doctor says.

The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are a completely new type of inoculation and have little in common with the flu shot. Of course, if the mRNA vaccines are wildly successful they could replace the common flu shot altogether.

Hopefully clinicians and manufacturers can figure out why people with hyperactive immune systems (aka allergies) are reacting to the Pfizer vaccine. Early reports suggest it’s a sensitivity to the polyethylene glycol (PEG) in the shot. It’s always something. If anyone wants to test their sensitivity to PEG, try some Miralax.
    Tuesday there were two people -- who both carried an adrenaline auto injector and had a history of allergic reactions -- that developed symptoms of anaphylactoid reaction after receiving the Pfizer vaccine.
    Thousands overall were vaccinated in the UK on Tuesday.

What they've found is only a worry for people with a severe history of allergic reactions such that these people who are tooling around with adrenaline auto injectors in their pockets.

Our course this information is subject to change but so far, it doesn't seem like much of a concern at all for the average joe.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Tuesday there were two people -- who both carried an adrenaline auto injector and had a history of allergic reactions -- that developed symptoms of anaphylactoid reaction after receiving the Pfizer vaccine.
    Thousands overall were vaccinated in the UK on Tuesday.

What they've found is only a worry for people with a severe history of allergic reactions such that these people who are tooling around with adrenaline auto injectors in their pockets.

Our course this information is subject to change but so far, it doesn't seem like much of a concern at all for the average joe.

That's consistent with the results from their testing - I think about 1 in a thousand reported some allergic reaction, though nothing too serious.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited December 2020
    The 2 or 3 days after the second dose as apparently pretty miserable. They seem to be advising people to take off work in the immediate aftermath of the second shot.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Interesting. I never thought a vaccine would be particularly rough on the body.

Not all vaccines are the same. The anthrax vaccine hurts like hell.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Huh. Would that vaccine have any potential as a preventative treatment against HIV though?
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    edited December 2020

It usually isn't severe, but since it's meant to stimulate your immune response, it causes a slight inflammatory reaction, which is stronger in some people. Young children especially will sometimes run a mild fever after vaccinations, some stuff only creates a mild bump at the injection site, and some people feel slightly ill after a flu shot, for example.

@Zaxares , if you're ready for a longer text, this article explains how the false positive HIV test results were caused:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-11/how-the-uq-covid-19-vaccine-induces-false-positive-hiv-results/12975048
    Post edited by Arvia on
    Arvia wrote: »

It usually isn't severe, but since it's meant to stimulate your immune response, it causes a slight inflammatory reaction, which is stronger in some people. Young children especially will sometimes run a mild fever after vaccinations, some stuff only creates a mild bump at the injection site, and some people feel slightly ill after a flu shit, for example.

@Zaxares , if you're ready for a longer text, this article explains how the false positive HIV test results were caused:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-11/how-the-uq-covid-19-vaccine-induces-false-positive-hiv-results/12975048

I usually feel better after a 'flu shit' myself... ?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    some people feel slightly ill after a flu shit

I'm feeling a bit ill just thinking about it :p.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Balrog99 wrote: »

It usually isn't severe, but since it's meant to stimulate your immune response, it causes a slight inflammatory reaction, which is stronger in some people. Young children especially will sometimes run a mild fever after vaccinations, some stuff only creates a mild bump at the injection site, and some people feel slightly ill after a flu shit, for example.

:D

A true gentleman would have discreetly pointed out my typo and let me edit it without quoting me first to save it for all eternity. But what do I expect from a Balrog of Morgoth... ;)
    Balrog99 wrote: »

:D

A true gentleman would have discreetly pointed out my typo and let me edit it without quoting me first to save it for all eternity. But what do I expect from a Balrog of Morgoth... ;)

Sorry, there was no way in Morgoth that I could resist that one! ?
    edited December 2020
    allegations swirling today that the Trump administration is demanding the FDA commissioner approve the Pfizer vaccine today or resign (be fired).

So political interference in health is still ongoing in the US.

Obviously, the terrible response to coronavirus in the US has been directly due to politicizing the virus by the administration through such things as railing against mask mandates, lockdowns, or direct payments to citizens to allow people to remain safe and demanding that things be open without appropriate safety measures.

Additionally, the CDC was directed to delete evidence of Trump political appointees demanding the numbers be fudged.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    And back to the science - An interesting study into the genetic reasons some people have a severe reaction to the virus. The study is still ongoing and more research is needed. Nevertheless looks promising.

TR
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    So Alberta made this campaign:
    https://youtu.be/-CLdgcsOQuo
    https://youtu.be/PiG0I7VE7d4
    www.covidloves.ca

... I don't know how effective it's going to be. It's humorful and all and got me sharing it which is its point, yet it is something we as a society should take seriously, however being too serious can cause a bit of a backlash. I don't know how effective it'll be.
    edited December 2020
    allegations swirling today that the Trump administration is demanding the FDA commissioner approve the Pfizer vaccine today or resign (be fired).

So political interference in health is still ongoing in the US.

Maybe the administration got tipped off that they were going to lose the election case at the supreme Court and were desperate to have another narrative in the news and that explains the threats.

At any rate, the FDA did just do what was demanded and they approved the Pfizer vaccine for emergency use.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    On a less scientific note, I think of a vaccine as something that gives you a mild case of whatever it is that it's aimed at protecting you from. Therefore I would expect to feel a bit 'shot' after any vaccine.
    When I went to work in Africa for six months (which turned into 20 years) I had to have a fistful of vaccines that made my arm swell up like a balloon and laid me up in bed for a day.