Skip to content

The Thread for Metaaaaal! \m/

1234568»

Comments

• m7600m7600 Member Posts: 318
    Africa has some awesome metal bands, like Wrust, Overthrust, and Arka'n, among others.

ThacoBellStummvonBordwehrOrlonKronsteen
    OrlonKronsteen
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    Here's some stuff I got into listening a lot over 2020. I found my tastes leaned more heavilly towards melodic death and doom metal.

More metal from Africa

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Majestica - Ghost Of Christmas Past

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited January 2021
    Iced Earth / Demons and Wizards Guitarist Jon Schaffer, a self described “constitutional conservative”, apparently was part of the pro-Trump insurrectionists that stormed the Capital today.

https://metalinjection.net/politics/is-this-a-photo-of-iced-earths-jon-schaffer-raiding-the-capitol-building

Oathkeepers hat in the top left photo also same arm tat
    unknown.png

Post edited by smeagolheart on
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    edited January 2021
    Here's a dark little outfit called Akhlys I recently discovered. I honestly don't know how the drummers keep this up - I need a nap after listening to it.

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited January 2021
    Origins of metal. Jeff Beck rocks the guitar!

Post edited by Balrog99 on
    How 'bout some Ulrich Roth for our German metal fans? Best Scorpions song of all time!

Vintage Priest. Enjoy!

More traditional 80's metal. Near perfect atmospheric!

Obviously I'm bored with no politics thread... ?
    edited January 2021
    Not metal but psychedelic origins. Best lyrical harmony I've ever heard. Reminds me of the Layne Staley, Jerry Cantrell harmony of Alice in Chains almost 25 years later...

m7600
    On the issue of the psychedelic roots of metal, this album by Coven was released before Black Sabbath's first album:

Balrog99hybridial
  • haidukhaiduk Member Posts: 19
    Track from the new Haiduk album Diabolica

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    m7600 wrote: »
    On the issue of the psychedelic roots of metal, this album by Coven was released before Black Sabbath's first album:

I'm late to this, but I heard 3 tracks from this on a SiriusXM station I listen to, and then got interested in what the hell this was exactly, and, despite whatever claims they make to the contrary, Black Sabbath CLEARLY ripped off alot of what was going on here as a full package wholesale, up to and including Ozzy's name. It's sort of like how the seminal black metal band Bathory insisted they didn't name themselves after the Venom track Countess Bathory. It just strains all credulity.
    m7600
    edited September 2021
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

I'm late to this, but I heard 3 tracks from this on a SiriusXM station I listen to, and then got interested in what the hell this was exactly, and, despite whatever claims they make to the contrary, Black Sabbath CLEARLY ripped off alot of what was going on here as a full package wholesale, up to and including Ozzy's name. It's sort of like how the seminal black metal band Bathory insisted they didn't name themselves after the Venom track Countess Bathory. It just strains all credulity.

Coven is the best kept secret of the world of heavy metal. Most metalheads don't know that this band even existed. But there's a reason for that. It's kind of a stretch to say that Coven is a metal band. It's more of a Psychedelic rock band with a dark/occultist twist. In that sense, Black Sabbath definitely ripped them off. But as far as the strictly "metal" part goes, I'm not sure.
    edited September 2021
    m7600 wrote: »
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

Coven is the best kept secret of the world of heavy metal. Most metalheads don't know that this band even existed. But there's a reason for that. It's kind of a stretch to say that Coven is a metal band. It's more of a Psychedelic rock band with a dark/occultist twist. In that sense, Black Sabbath definitely ripped them off. But as far as the strictly "metal" part goes, I'm not sure.

Nothing they ripped off was musical, but this is clearly the EXACT place they got the occult angle. I always got a kick out of members of Sabbath saying "well, if you actually listen to our music, it's AGAINST all that stuff". Yes, this is definitely true. But they are lying by omission when they feign ignorance about the fact that the faux-devil worship aesthetic of the album covers, song titles, and overall imagery was a deliberate choice and marketing tactic that has been followed by pretty much every metal band since. Metal is, in a sense, to music what horror movies are to cinema. The whole "we're just a bunk of working blokes from Birmingham singing about life" stance they would often take was a bunch of poppycock. They sang about the devil and dark subject matter because it was cool.
    m7600
    I see what you're saying, and I agree. I'd also say that the early Sabbath albums have a hefty dose of Psychedelic rock, it wasn't just metal. Their sound is closer to the hippie-rock bands of that era than, say, the Metallica-style bands of the 80's. If Sabbath was "anti-hippie" just because they replaced flower-power with occultism, well, then the same is true of Coven. And if that's what makes Sabbath a metal band, well, then Coven would also be a metal band by that logic. I don't know, it's an interesting discussion nonetheless.
    There's a similar discussion in the world of Punk Rock. Which was the first Punk band? Some will say that it was a little-known band from Peru: Los Saicos, they were the first, before The Sex Pistols and before the Ramones. But naysayers will tell you that Los Saicos wasn't really punk rock, in any case they were a sort of edgy/trashy surf rock band. So, they're comparable to Coven in that sense.

https://www.culturesonar.com/los-saicos-was-the-first-punk-band-from-peru/
    The Sonics (garage band from Seattle in the '60s) have best claim in my estimation, but even if you don't include them, certainly the Stooges, MC5, or New York Dolls get to take the title before the Ramones or Pistols.

Haiduk - Sea of Fire