Skip to content

Road to 2.6 | Is the Baldur's Gate II 2.6.2.0 Patch Ready to Release?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
edited February 2021 in The Road to 2.6
Patch 2.6 is almost ready!

A new Steam Beta for Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition is available now, and we need your feedback. Are we ready for the big release? Go on an adventure and share your thoughts!

TEST OBJECTIVE: Start questing! Is the patch good enough to release?
See Details on the 2.6.2.0 Beta Test:
Important:
- This is NOT the last update for BGII:EE
- 2.6 will not fix every issue— but we hope to improve the game in future updates
- Here's what we've focused on for this patch: 2.6 Patch Items
- System Requirements have changed:
Minimum: Windows 7, 8.1, 10 64-bit, OS X 10.9, Ubuntu 18.04 or equivalent
- Please check your device meets the updated System Requirements before testing
- Make sure your device supports 64-bit games

How to Participate
- Playthrough some quests & VOTE on the release
- Tell us about *new bugs (the beta shouldn't add any issues) - comment below!
- Tell us about major issues affecting saves, visuals, sound & quality - comment below!

How to opt-in & verify you're using the correct version
  • Please make sure you're using a clean (unmodded) install. Clear your override folder before testing the beta build
  • In your Steam Library, Right-Click Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition and choose “Properties”
  • Click on the Beta Tab
  • Choose the road_to_2.6 in the drop down menu
  • If you don't see the road_to_2.6 in the drop down menu, please restart Steam
  • In-game, on the main menu, you will see that the build is 2.6.2.0

French Text Localization
The 2.6 Patch will add new French Text Localization to Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition

We won't move forward with a 2.6 Patch release until we hear feedback from enough Windows, Linux & macOS players for each Infinity Engine Title:

- Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (New Beta Available!)
- Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear (New Beta Available!)
- Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition
- Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition (New Beta Available!)

*Note: We're focusing on Windows macOS & Linux now, but stay tuned for details on the 2.6 Patch for Android & iOS!

Join the Beta & Vote Below!

Testing Status:
13/25 Windows Players
5/5 Linux Players (Done!)
5/5 macOS (Done!)
  1. Road to 2.6 | Is the Baldur's Gate II 2.6.2.0 Patch Ready to Release?32 votes
    1. Windows | Yes, release the patch!
      50.00%
    2. macOS | Yes, release the patch!
      15.63%
    3. Linux | Yes, release the patch!
      18.75%
    4. No, it's not ready! (Please explain)
      15.63%
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
anastiel

Comments

• ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    I found a bug on a simulacrum spell. The duplicate (sorcerer lv.16) is created with far more spells than he should have.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Parys wrote: »
    I found a bug on a simulacrum spell. The duplicate (sorcerer lv.16) is created with far more spells than he should have.

Can you please zip and attach your save?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Bubb Is this issue present only in BG2? Or BG1, SoD and IWD as well?
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    edited January 2021
    @JuliusBorisov: Sorry, had to update those games to check.

BG1+(disabling SoD dlc): Yes.
    v2.5.17.0:
    2f206xbgdcvf.png
    v2.6.2.0:
    w17cmj3s7dgn.png

BG1+SoD: Yes, (very subtle on this one, it's a single-pixel strip nearly a third down the page).
    v2.5.17.10:
    4onq8s41s6gn.png
    v2.6.2.0:
    nbpet6peyjkc.png

BG2: Yes.
    v2.5.16.6:
    e61snu96zy98.png
    v2.6.2.0:
    pmyz2tja5cwm.png

IWD: Yes.
    v2.5.17.0:
    33vxjwt60k6v.png
    v2.6.2.0:
    jg47wsc12k9x.png
    JuliusBorisovATigersClaw
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Parys wrote: »
    Spells known, or number of spells they can cast? A sorcerer's simulacrum clone should have the same known spells as the original sorcerer, but only the spell slots to actually cast with of the reduced-level version.

So, for a level 16 sorcerer casting from a fully rested state, you should have:
    - Clone is level 10. 6/6/6/5/3 spell slots of levels 1-5.
    - Clone has the spells known of a 16th level sorcerer. 5/5/4/4/4 spells known of levels 1-5, instead of a level 10 sorcerer's 5/4/3/2/1. The clone also knows some spells of levels 6-8, but doesn't have slots available to cast them so they don't show up in the spellcasting menu.
    - In the spellcasting menu, each spell shows up with the total number of slots of that level available, just like a non-clone sorcerer.

There's only a bug if you're seeing something else.
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    From a gameplay perspective, haven’t tested much, just ran around the city doing minor quests but it looked ok to me.
    As far as the french translation is concerned...
    @JuliusBorisov is there anything that can be done to fix it?
    The huge change of tone and switch to formal register between BG1EE and SoD / BG2EE is not a small detail! You transition game and it’s like suddenly you’re not talking to the same NPCs.
    Since it would require a rewrite, I have little hope but it’s worth asking!
    Can we at least get the most glaring typos fixed? There’s like 2 big ones, right in the middle of the character sheet...
    Mera wrote: »
    From a gameplay perspective, haven’t tested much, just ran around the city doing minor quests but it looked ok to me.
    As far as the french translation is concerned...
    @JuliusBorisov is there anything that can be done to fix it?
    The huge change of tone and switch to formal register between BG1EE and SoD / BG2EE is not a small detail! You transition game and it’s like suddenly you’re not talking to the same NPCs.
    Since it would require a rewrite, I have little hope but it’s worth asking!
    Can we at least get the most glaring typos fixed? There’s like 2 big ones, right in the middle of the character sheet...

This is a bit unclear as I don't speak French. Please elaborate on the problem more, possibly with screenshots.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    @JuliusBorisov @Mera has posted the issue here in more detail:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1156209/#Comment_1156209

English doesn't have formal and informal uses of "you" anymore, so perhaps it's a bit unclear what's going on for you...

Most languages have two versions of "you", a formal and an informal one. Where and when to use the formal one or the informal one depends on the language, region, age group and social environment, but it is generally used rather consistently.

For example, people could be using the informal version to address family members and close friends, while using the formal version to address strangers, such as asking a clerk for directions.

If those close friends would suddenly start using the formal version (which as far as I understand Mera happens when you move from BG1 to BG2), it makes them act like you're a complete stranger to them, which can feel very alienating.

It probably wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue if both games were standalone, unrelated to each other, but considering the games are linked, that can be very jarring to suddenly deal with it. It'll be like they're completely different characters.
    JuliusBorisovMera
    edited January 2021
    This I understand now, thanks. But I would still need a few examples in screenshots to illustrate the difference between the translations for 2 games, as well as the input from the native French-speaking player.
  • Sam_Sam_ Member Posts: 172
    I just had the two issues (where new saves are missing images and ScreenShots aren't saved) happen again, but this time on BG2EE and IWDEE (but NOT BGEE), all v2.6.2.0 and all launched through the Steam client. I have added this to the original support ticket.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    This I understand now, thanks. But I would still need a few examples in screenshots to illustrate the difference between the translations for 2 games, as well as the input from the native French-speaking player.

The only French I know is "Je ne parlez pas francois.", and I probably butchered that as well, so @Mera will have to provide you with those.

Sure I'll try my best. I no longer have the original game and it's getting harder finding footage on Youtube so this is a simple example and most likely not the most relevant.
    Anyway, see the last sentence in Imoen's dialog? First screenshot is original BG2 and pretty much reads like the english version (ie "are you going to get moving or do I leave without you")
    The second one though is a lot more formal. Something like:
    "Are you coming with me or shall I leave you here?"
    (Did my best, never really used formal english professionally or otherwise :D)

Sure, in essence, it's saying the same thing. But it's totally out of character and completely inconsistent with BG1EE, which has kept original BG1 tone.

0qpluj26p2z5.png
    ru8elf6ngvpb.png

I was talking about typos, here are two, right in the middle of your character's sheet:
    Two = deux in french, one is ok, the other missing the "d"
    The other pretty self-explanatory even if you don't speak a word :) (all caps)

6191yjp5d5f8.png
    51fvg3hvp5nk.png

As I said, I would be very surprised if the formality was fixed because it would affect half the cast of NPCs (some of them were formal, some of them were not, now, everyone is) but hey, it's sure not happening if we don't ask ;)

JuliusBorisovjazira
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    edited January 2021
    @JuliusBorisov
    If Nearest Neighbor Scaling is turn on, the game is switching between Nearest Neghbor method and Linear method when game is paused. You can notice that behaviour if you keep looking on the background when you pause the game. If you pause the game the background become blurry.
    6bpzqfcro5o1.gif

Also, In addition to fuzzy background you can notice a "moving" part of fireplace during pause and unpause action when Nearest Neighbor Scaling is active.
    fbrrusryrue3.gifzdq4k47jeius.png

Repro:
    1. Turn on Neigbor Scaling method.
    2. Pause the game
    3. the background become looks blurry as if neighbor scaling is turn off.
    Post edited by Parys on
    ATigersClawJuliusBorisovtl1942
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited January 2021
    So:
    • [existed in v2.5] Fireshield type spells have NOT been outsourced to external .eff files. This means that the caster cannot refresh these spells before premature expiration.
    • [existed in v2.5] SPWI418D.SPL – The 'Range' field (Extended Header at 0xE) should be set to a very high value (32767 ideally) and the 'Projectile' field (Extended Header at 0x26) to a new Projectile that should be coded as suggested here:
      • The same applies to all those spells such as Fireshield, to control the range of the feedback damage without generating the "One of your spells has failed" message.
    • [existed in v2.5] SPWI224.SPL – Glitterdust: certain effects bypass Magic Resistance, whereas other not. Magic Resistance checks must be consistent, so is the spell intended to bypass Magic Resistance or not?
    • [existed in v2.5] SPPR208.SPL – Hold Person: string ~Held~ is displayed twice (one comes from opcode #175, the other one from "CDHELD.EFF"...
      • This issue affects most/all "Hold Person/Monster/Animal" spells/abilities, such as "SPIN988.SPL", "SPWI306.SPL", "SPWI507.SPL", "SPPR305.SPL", "SPPR989.SPL" and the like...
    • [existed in v2.5] Ninjatōs (base item "SW1H48.ITM") are described as short blades. As a result, they should be coded as such: 'Category' (Header at 0x1C) should be '19|Small swords', 'Appearance' (Header at 0x22) should be "SS|Short swords". 'Weapon animations' (Extended header at 0x2C*3) and 'Damage type' (Extended header at 0x1C) should also be adjusted as well (to match normal Short Swords...)
    • [existed in v2.5] In the patch notes you talked about Inconsistent Unconsciousness Administration.
      Unfortunately, there are still issues regarding this whole topic. The main problem here is that there is only one "Sleep" opcode, namely op39, which is used for Sleep, Unconsciousness, Knockdown, Hopelessness, and Nausea(Poison).
      • This means that, for instance, cadaverous/skeletal undead, golems, etc. are immune to the knockdown effect caused by CLERIC_EARTHQUAKE – SPPR720.SPL and similar spells (due to their general immunity to op39). This of course doesn't make any sense and should be fixed. Two possible solutions:
        • Once again, op318 and external EFF files (more details here, section "Accurately granting immunity to just one form of an opcode")
        • Alternatively, you could edit Source Code and add at least another "Sleep" opcode (just like we have two "Charm creature" opcodes). This is probably the best solution...
    • [existed in v2.5] The Poison opcode (#25) automatically display the Poisoned portrait icon ('Special' field), there's no need for a separate op142 effect. This is not an issue, just a reminder/side note...
    • [existed in v2.5] The Improved Invisibility opcode (#20, param#2=1) automatically provides "Normal" invisibility, there's no reason to apply both "Normal" and "Improved" invisibility in the same spell/item, see "SPWI405.SPL" (unless you want them to have different probabilities/hd limits). This is not an issue, just a reminder/side note...
    • [existed in v2.5] Polymorph Self, Shapechange, Druid Polymorph abilities and the like: this spells/abilities are still bugged. In particular:
      • If you keep changing form, you will lose bonus/malues granted by equipped items (for example an amulet). That means you need to return to your original form before changing into another form.
      • This is particularly annoying if Nalia or Edwin cast this spells, because if you do not remember to return to your original form before changing into another form, you will be forced to Save & Reload your game (since their unique gear, i.e. "NPRING01.ITM" and "MISC89.ITM", cannot be removed & re-equipped...)
      • This issue might be caused by opcode #135 being bugged when used with 'parameter2=0'... As far as I know, there are 2 possible workarounds: either use op135 with 'parameter2=1' or op53 with 'parameter2=0'. In both cases you need to remember to "transfer" Strength, Dexterity, Resistances, Base AC, Specific AC (Crush/Slash/Pierce/Missile), and Base APR from CRE file to the polymorph item.
      • [Suggestion] You might want to attach the "Return to Natural Form" ability to "FIST.ITM" (and Monk Fists too).

In so doing, it is always available, and modders wishing to add other polymorph abilities can safely forget about adding it...

Moreover, you really might want to replace all those op112 removing polymorph "weapons" with a simple op111 ('timing = 1', 'resource = SW1H01', or any other existing weapon) followed by op112 ('timing = 1', 'resource = SW1H01', or any other existing weapon). In so doing, you don't need to "remember" to remove all polymorph "weapons" via op112...
      • [Suggestion/Feature request] Opcode #171 should work as intended when applied with 'Timing Mode 2'.

This is another thing that should make its way into the game as soon as possible. If that were possible, you could attach abilities like SALAMANDER_BREATHE_FIREBALL – SPIN160.SPL to the polymorph weapon. In so doing, they will be removed as soon as the polymorph weapon is no longer equipped (either because of death or because you changed form/returned to natural form) and modders wishing to add other polymorph abilities can safely forget about removing them via op172... Moreover, modders could also add their own abilities without worrying about patching existing polymorph abilities that would otherwise be able to use them...

As an alternative, the Magical Weapon Slot should allow Item Abilities (`header_type = 3`).
    • [existed in v2.5] BDSUM00.BCS: its attack blocks (line #264–#275 and #277–#284) should contain a "See(LastSeenBy(Myself))" check, otherwise summoned creatures will stutter whenever their target goes invisible.
    • [existed in v2.5] Probability1 and Probability2 fields.
      As you surely know, 0 IS a legitimate roll. There are a LOT of files that need to be patched to take into account of this fact. For instance, let us consider Club of Detonation – BLUN26.ITM:
      • fire damage should be 20% of hits, not 21% (so either 'prob2=0 and prob1=19' or 'prob2=1 and prob1=20')
      • fireball should be 7% of hits, not 8%, not overlap with fire damage (so either 'prob2=20 and prob1=26' or 'prob2=21 and prob1=27', depending on what you chose for the fire damage...)
    • Unlike BG:EE and IWD:EE, 1PP Projectiles (#277 – #319) are not registered (i.e., they're flagged as "Unnamed") in "MISSILE.IDS". This is not an issue, just something that should be consistent across all these games...
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
    ParysATigersClawMokonaJuliusBorisov
    Sam_ wrote: »
    I just had the two issues (where new saves are missing images and ScreenShots aren't saved) happen again, but this time on BG2EE and IWDEE (but NOT BGEE), all v2.6.2.0 and all launched through the Steam client. I have added this to the original support ticket.

Please check your Antivirus/Firewall. This happens because something is preventing the game from creating/updating files in Documents - Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition (Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition) folder.
  • jazirajazira Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2021
    I don't have any steam version game, so I can't really help here. (That's really annoying by the way, there should be some automated process to obtain a steam key alongside a beamdog key.)

Anyway I'm 100% agreed with @Mera, as a French I can tell you that the change of tone - the inconsistencies of NPC adressing others NPC with formal/informal "you" (tutoiement/vouvoiement) between BG1, SoD and BG2 are really disturbing. And Imoen is not the only concerned.
    This issue is also discussed here with @Trouveur, @Mera and @Isaya. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/80867/road-to-2-6-planned-patch-items-windows-macos-linux/p6

Here are some documents providing the information about how formally characters should address to each others provided by the d'oghmatiques  : 
    - BG1 : https://www.baldursgateworld.fr/lacouronne/attachments/la-chambre-des-scribes/12884d1324172277-d-oghms-bible-de-traduction-tutoiement-vouvoiement-bg1.zip
    - BG2 : https://www.baldursgateworld.fr/lacouronne/attachments/la-chambre-des-scribes/12886d1416656871-d-oghms-bible-de-traduction-tutoiement-vouvoiement-bg2ee.zip

I'm also concerned about an another thing related to the French translation, and it ties about the formal/informal problem, too. The changes made to dialogues between classic BG2 and BG2:EE in general. @Mera also pointed out an example in his/her screenshot of Imoen banter "Je l'entendais." -> "Je pouvais l'entendre."
    Those could be annoying for modders/translators, especially to maintain compatibility between various versions of the game.

The French community have provided a BG2 (complete SoA + ToB + a bit of BG2:EE new content) French translation mod for BG2:EE (made of classic BG2 french localization) : https://github.com/Isaya/bg2eetrans/releases
    The French community also have provided a proofreaded version of classic BG2 french localization https://www.baldursgateworld.fr/lacouronne/la-zone-de-telechargement/24082-mods-crees-patch-patch-correctif-des-textes-pour-baldur-s-gate-2-et-tob-en-vf.html
    MeraJuliusBorisov
    What makes no sense to me is why a small company like Beamdog, who's most likely not swimming in money, would burn cash ('cause that's what it is, an absolute waste of money) on retranslating something already "perfected" by the french community instead of just working on the new EE only texts.
    Timbo0o0o0
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    What makes no sense to me is why a small company like Beamdog, who's most likely not swimming in money, would burn cash ('cause that's what it is, an absolute waste of money) on retranslating something already "perfected" by the french community instead of just working on the new EE only texts.

It depends. If Beamdog has the statistic about the games customer base, and knows how much french user bought the game and its more than a profitable amount, than yes, translate it. If Beamdog do not know, or do not have the information, just waste of money.

Obviously ;) But that's not what I'm saying. They retranslated everything. Every single line of BG2 text that already existed in french. Everything that was already done in the original game from 20 years ago and proofread via mods.
    Instead of just the new texts added by EE.
    And they did it poorly.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Not the original text has a lots of linking and other issues ?
  • jazirajazira Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2021
    Danacm wrote: »
    Not the original text has a lots of linking and other issues ?

Of course the original translation wasn't perfect, but the new one is far from it either.

The French community has already fixed the old translation, proofread the new version will take years, again.

https://www.baldursgateworld.fr/lacouronne/la-zone-de-telechargement/24082-mods-crees-patch-patch-correctif-des-textes-pour-baldur-s-gate-2-et-tob-en-vf.html
    Obviously ;) But that's not what I'm saying. They retranslated everything. Every single line of BG2 text that already existed in french. Everything that was already done in the original game from 20 years ago and proofread via mods.
    Instead of just the new texts added by EE.
    And they did it poorly.

As far as I understand, the issue was legal, Beamdog cannot use the original translation. They had to rewrite everything. Laws...

What I don't get is why the company behind the new translation didn't use/inspire from the work/tone already done, by the original translation and the French community driven project.

I'm pretty sure Beamdog was in close contact with @Isaya, the head of the project. The translation mod is even called "Semi-official Partial Translation".
    Mera
    We'll be paying a lot of attention to the current community complaint about the tone of the existing translation. More details will be announced later.
    MerajaziraATigersClaw
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Update of Polish BG2EE translation:

We have finished proofreading of original (vanilla) BG2 content, fixing countless punctuation errors, grammar errors. We'd like to ask to export the current .dlg from Translation Tool for release build of patch 2.6, which includes all the changes we have made since the release of patch 2.5.
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    I 'm running 2.6.2 on an iMac (BigSur). I kicked Minsc out of my party at the copper coronet.

The screen is now messed up, see screenshot. The process does not respond to any key stroke. I had to quit the Baldursgate-macos process via context menu.

lcq0shrw3a4b.jpg
    JuliusBorisovATigersClaw
    @StefanO Can you please archive and attach your save and also provide a step-by-step repro?
  • ATigersClawATigersClaw Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 161
    There are three pretty similar spells (True Seeing - Priest, True Sight - Wizard & True Sight - Priest of Helm) of which the last one for the Priest of Helm has its strings misaligned by using the title string for "True Sight" from the wizard spell and the description string for "True Seeing" from the priest spell, thus resulting in the spell having two different names.

Please have a look at this internal thread for more details.
    JuliusBorisov
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    True Seeing has always been the name for the priest spell and True Sight has always been the name for the wizard spell. Apart from being accessible to wizards and priests at different levels, they are completely identical spells. Their power levels are set to 0 so they both bypass innate immunities (i.e. Liches immunity vs. L1-5 spells). Priests of Helm gain "True Sight" which is also stated in their Kit description.

On the other hand, SPCL232D.spl (the once-per-round spell) should be named "True Sight" rather than "True Seeing" since SPCL232.spl is named "True Sight". SPCL232.spl should have the correct description. It was likely given the priest description of "True Seeing" because the spell sphere is stated there and gives it a priestly flavor. Nonetheless, "True Sight" is more correct. Thanks for the catch.
    JuliusBorisovhook71ATigersClaw
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    SPCL232 is inquisitor True Sight, actually. Priests of Helm get SPCL732 (named True Sight), which casts SPPR505D (named True Seeing) as its secondary spell. So both kits need versions of this cosmetic fix.
This discussion has been closed.