Skip to content

Road to 2.6 | Is the Baldur's Gate 2.6.2.0 Patch Ready to Release?

srdbeamdogsrdbeamdog Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 15
edited February 2021 in The Road to 2.6
Patch 2.6 is almost ready!

A new Steam Beta for Baldur's Gate:Enhanced Edition is available now, and we need your feedback. Are we ready for the big release? Go on an adventure and share your thoughts!

TEST OBJECTIVE: Start questing! Is the patch good enough to release?
See Details on the 2.6.2.0 Beta Test:
Important:
- This is NOT the last update for BGEE
- 2.6 will not fix every issue— but we hope to improve the game in future updates
- Here's what we've focused on for this patch: 2.6 Patch Items
- System Requirements have changed:
Minimum: Windows 7, 8.1, 10 64-bit, OS X 10.9, Ubuntu 18.04 or equivalent
- Please check your device meets the updated System Requirements before testing
- Make sure your device supports 64-bit games

How to Participate
- Playthrough some quests & VOTE on the release
- Tell us about *new bugs (the beta shouldn't add any issues) - comment below!
- Tell us about major issues affecting saves, visuals, sound & quality - comment below!

How to opt-in & verify you're using the correct version
  • Please make sure you're using a clean (unmodded) install. Clear your override folder before testing the beta build
  • In your Steam Library, Right-Click Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and choose “Properties”
  • Click on the Beta Tab
  • Choose the road_to_2.6 in the drop down menu
  • If you don't see the road_to_2.6 in the drop down menu, please restart Steam
  • In-game, on the main menu, you will see that the build is 2.6.2.0

We won't move forward with a 2.6 Patch release until we hear feedback from enough Windows, Linux & macOS players for each Infinity Engine Title:

- Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
- Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear (New Beta Available!)
- Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition (New Beta Available!)
- Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition (New Beta Available!)

*Note: We're focusing on Windows macOS & Linux now, but stay tuned for details on the 2.6 Patch for Android & iOS!

Join the Beta & Vote Below!

Testing Status:
20/25 Windows Players
4/5 Linux Players
5/5 macOS (Done!)
  1. Road to 2.6 | Is the Baldur's Gate 2.6.2.0 Patch Ready to Release?38 votes
    1. Windows | Yes, release the patch!
      63.16%
    2. macOS | Yes, release the patch!
      13.16%
    3. Linux | Yes, release the patch!
      10.53%
    4. No, it's not ready! (Please explain)
      13.16%
Post edited by srdbeamdog on

Comments

• SourSour Member Posts: 82
    edited January 2021
    I'm starting a new play through tonight. I'm going to be playing with a party of 6 on LOB mode. I intend to do every quest in the game and provide feedback. No mods will be installed.

For the sake of being thorough I'm going to mention things that could use fixing in my eyes as well as any bugs I run across, weather or not Beamdog can fix them or is willing to fix them is none of my business but I figure I might as well mention anything I can see that is off with what is currently implemented in the game.

First up, the introduction to the game. The text roll is not aligned with the narrator. It would be great if you guys could get this matched up so the player can read along with the narrator in the opening sequence.

Another minor issue I have noticed is the spinning crystal in High hedge has a crease in the center of it. This problem has been around since version 2.2 I believe. I don't know if it can be fixed but it would be nice if possible.

Other than that no problems to mention yet. I will continue along and post anything I can find in terms of stability regarding the game, quests, abilities, magic spells and weapons.

Oh and thanks for putting this together. I'm aware this isn't a thread for making wishes so I'll keep my comments focused on bugs, crashes and things that are currently implemented in the game but could use some improving based on it's intended behavior vs what I'm seeing.
    JuliusBorisov
  • TaoOfValkyriesTaoOfValkyries Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    I tried the beta both on windows 10 and Linux Fedora.
    On both machines everything seems ok.
    The lady keeps to forget the book behind the cow
    JuliusBorisov
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    It looks like you can't use the up/down direction keys in the debug console anymore to select previously entered commands. The alternate option to select a command from a popup list requires too much effort to be usable, especially for modders and mod testers.
    JuliusBorisovTressetSam_
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited January 2021
    I noticed that the silence spell was fixed in that it now actually has the silence opcode, but for some reason, in the process of fixing it, it lost its "wear off" sound effect (the sound that is supposed to play when the spell expires is no longer played). This bug does not exist in BG2:EE or IWD:EE.

Repro case:
    1. Create a new character.
    2. Use the console to cast Silence 15' Radius with the following code (if you save against the spell, just enter the code until you fail the save): C:Eval("ActionOverride(Player1,ForceSpell(myself,\'Cleric_Silence_15_Foot\'))")
    3. Wait 2 rounds (about 12 seconds of real time) for the spell to wear off.

Observed: There is no sound effect that plays when the spell wears off.

Expected: A sound effect should play when the spell wears off; namely EFF_E06.WAV

Affected files:
    SPPR211.SPL
    SPIN692.SPL
    JuliusBorisovMokonaArvia
  • KlakierKlakier Member Posts: 39
    Polish language version still has a lot of files in override directory which leads to save file corruption.
    JuliusBorisov
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Klakier wrote: »
    Polish language version still has a lot of files in override directory which leads to save file corruption.

@Klakier can you write repro steps, so it could be easier for devs to find the root cause?
  • Airman1991Airman1991 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 50
    edited January 2021
    @JuliusBorisov @srdbeamdog Windows 10 64 Bit, latest Beta, sound does not work at all in BGEE.
    I may have figured out the problem. Redownloading and testing again.
    edited January 2021
    OK. Update. After attempting to redownload a completely clean install. Still no sound on BGEE. SOD is also installed. I'm also having the problem on BG2EE and IWDEE.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Cahir wrote: »

@Klakier can you write repro steps, so it could be easier for devs to find the root cause?
    I can only give repro for v2.5, but it doesn't sound like much has changed:
    1. Set language to Polish. Quit. Re-launch game.
    2. Start new game with Abdel Pregen.
    3. C:Eval('PlaySound("AJANT38")')
    4. (hear him scream in agony)
    5. Quit to Main Menu
    6. "Continue" // Should load the newgame autosave
    7. C:Eval('PlaySound("AJANT38")')
    8. (nothing...)
    9. Quit to Main Menu
    10. Start another new game with Abdel Pregen.
    11. (crash after selecting difficulty)
    While using Polish, any files in the "Lang/pl_PL/override" folder will be duplicated in the SAV file of a savegame, corrupting those files for that savegame, and eventually the SAV file itself.
    The same would happen for any other language, except other languages don't have any files in their override folder (German has 2). The other languages have their files properly located in their relevant folders:
    lang/
    • pl_PL/
      • data/
        • (files)
      • override/
        • (files) <- This is the problem, all of these should be in "sounds/" (they all happen to be *.WAV files)
      • sounds/
        • (files)
      • dialog.tlk
      • dialogf.tlk
    • uk_UA/
      • data/
        • (files)
      • fonts/
        • (files)
      • sounds/
        • (files)
      • dialog.tlk
      • dialogf.tlk
    JuliusBorisovKlakierhook71
    Ok, I figured out my problem. It was a weird computer error not game. So my vote changes to yes now.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Sam_Sam_ Member Posts: 172
    edited January 2021
    argent77 wrote: »
    It looks like you can't use the up/down direction keys in the debug console anymore to select previously entered commands. The alternate option to select a command from a popup list requires too much effort to be usable, especially for modders and mod testers.
    I wholeheartedly agree. This is super annoying.

While modding I ran across something minor, but figured I'd mention it. I don't know when it was introduced and it doesn't appear to have any affect in-game, but it might be considered sloppy coding. In BGEE/SoD v2.6.2.0, "Brendak" (BPBREN01.STO, BPBREN02.STO, and BPBREN03.STO) each have 1 duplicate instance of "Items purchased" item type Miscellaneous (0).
    Cahir wrote: »

Devs already had a task to fix this when the support board was available, about two and a half year ago i guess... They have reproduced it and most probably they have found a solution as the task was closed with status "merged in 2.6" if i remember correctly so i was really surprised when i saw that nothing has changed in 2.6 beta.

@kjeron has provided a nice solution, i worked more like with brute force:
    1. Sprint across few starting locations to gather party (Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Ajantis, Garrick should be enough - more characters means it is easier to find missing voices once bug pops in)
    2. Quicksave spam few dozen times
    3. After 20-50 quicksaves save files will to swell up to few megabytes
    4. On Switch at least it leads to corrupted save that can not be used anymore - game crashes upon loading, and removes save file.

On PC there is a possibility to move all the sound files from overrides to sounds, issue doesn't seem to occur, however you can see a lot of mess in the character voice selection window.
    Unfortunately on consoles situation is worse - i'd say it's better not to install Polish voice overs because issue can not be hotfixed, i've checked Xbox and Switch version and both had same problem and after some time my saves were unplayable.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Klakier

Our testing found that we cannot reproduce this issue reported by the user. Additionally, the size of the v2.6 SAV file is now substantially smaller than a v2.5 SAV file indicating override audio files are not duplicated in the SAV. Finally, while we are able to reproduce the crash/save corruption in v2.5, we can not produce this issue in v2.6.

If a v2.5 SAV is loaded in v2.6, the save file will still reference the override audio files, and the audio issue expressed in the repro steps above still occur.

If you still have concerns, it would be helpful if you can reproduce the issue in v2.6 and provide repro steps.
    MokonaKlakier
  • RedglyphRedglyph Member Posts: 14
    Have you changed something in the pathfinding, in this very last update 2.6.2.0? I seem to have more problems than before, in the Cloakwood mine. One or two party members would inevitably go the opposite way (I suppose because there is another character temporarily in the path)

I'd been playing a while in the mines with the previous version and didn't have so many problems keeping the party together.

So coming back on my vote, to me it's not ready (Windows).
    edited January 2021
    I found a bug with Rasaad's quest in the Cloudpeak Mountains. The problem is that in the first encounter upon entering the area, the one with the failed applicants and the dark moon monks, they start fighting each other immediately upon your arrival in the area. They should not start fighting until they dialog with the PC.

Repro steps:
    1. Load the attached saved game and travel to the Cloudpeak Mountains area.
    2. Once you arrive just wait.

Observed:
    The dark moon monks just south of the party immediately start attacking the failed dark moon applicants.

Expected:
    The fight should not start until the combatants dialog with the party.

The problem lies in the script of the dark moon monks, RSDMNKPW.bcs, in the following block which reads:

IF
    Global("START_COMBAT","LOCALS",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("START_COMBAT","LOCALS",1)
    Continue()
    END

It should actually read:

IF
    See(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))
    Global("START_COMBAT","LOCALS",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("START_COMBAT","LOCALS",1)
    Continue()
    END
    Post edited by Tresset on
    ATigersClawMokonaJuliusBorisovArvia
  • ParysParys Member Posts: 205
    If Nearest Neighbor Scaling is turn on, the game is switching between Nearest Neghbor method and Linear method when game is paused. You can notice that behaviour if you keep looking on the background when you pause the game. If you pause the game the background become blurry.

gvfmkpst5hkw.gif

Repro:
    1. Turn on Neigbor Scaling method.
    2. Pause the game
    3. The background become blurry as if neighbor scaling is turn off.

The Neighbour scaling method should stay active all the time.
    ATigersClawMokonaJuliusBorisovMiraStastny
  • SpaceHamsterSpaceHamster Member Posts: 14
    Black Pits BGEE 2.6.2.0 Steam

lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
    Release: 20.04
    Codename: focal

lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 8th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 07)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/E3-1500 v5/6th Gen Core Processor PCIe Controller (x16) (rev 07)
    00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th/8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
    00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH Thermal Subsystem
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH CSME HECI #1
    00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH SATA controller [AHCI mode]
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev f0)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #4 (rev f0)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Z370 Chipset LPC/eSPI Controller
    00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family Power Management Controller
    00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH HD Audio
    00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family SMBus Controller
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP104 [GeForce GTX 1080] (rev a1)
    01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP104 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)

General thoughts:

This was my first full playthrough of Black Pits, I stopped on <2.6 because of the old necromancer bug which is nicely fixed in 2.6 as far as I can tell. I definitely had a lot of fun, and the voice acting and dialogue was great. Overall awesome experience and very thankful for the additional classic style content. The default team being mixed good/evil was pretty nice as a roleplay of folks getting grabbed up at level 1 and forced to be a team. Felt a lot more natural than a premade team and without min-maxing. Thank you Beamdog!

Bugs:
    • 2.6.0.4 and 2.6.2.0: Alt-tabbing out, then in, changes from full screen to window mode.
      -In settings, full-screen is still checked. Unchecking, returning, then checking and returning restores full screen.
      -Subsequent alt-tabbing does not result in window mode.
      -Every time, this results in scrolling to be permanently slower.
      -Intermittently this causes scrolling to not work at all.
      -Saving, exiting, and restarting resolves all three issues.
    • 2.6.0.4 and 2.6.2.0: After round 3 and after tier 2 necromancer and after the shadow thieves, mouse wheel scroll stops adjusting zoom.
      -Restarting resolves the issue.
    • 2.6.0.4 and 2.6.2.0: Auto-pause when seeing an enemy setting doesn’t work in any battle.
    • 2.6.0.4 and 2.6.2.0: My party becomes hostile to the “corpses” of my 1hp fallen teammates and attack them.
    • 2.6.0.4 only (didn’t happen on 2.6.2.0 but may be reproducible if killed with superdeath critical damage) On the round with the ogre mage + 5 portals:
      -When my character Talana died, she dropped her inventory on the ground. When completing the mission Baeloth advises me to pick up my equip.
      -On returning to the shop area, it wont exit cutscene mode, there’s no UI and my folks just stand there.
      -On resuming from a saved game trying to resolve this bug to continue, in the arena with “dead” companions raises them from the dead and my alive party members treat them as hostile until I move. Talking to Baeloth to go back to the shopping area still stays in cutscene mode.
      -I also can’t exit the game, and have to kill the process to exit.
      Reloading a saved game from before the fight and winning without having the item drop issue seems to resolve it and I’m able to continue the game without the cutscene freeze.

Suggestions:
    • It would be great on higher difficulties if replaying lower tiers wasn’t possible. I know we can just choose not to do it, but the fact is that cheesing xp and gold is right there as an in-game option and it feels like it cheapens the gameplay. Plus if I just killed these people why are they still alive. Maybe Baeloth playing tricks but it seems like in-game they’re intended to be dead. On insane difficulty I was able to finish the game without min-maxing with the default crew. Replaying old missions seems unnecessary and too rp-breaking. Also calling them “tier 1, tier 2” seems very out of character. Maybe an alternative would be like “I’d like to train against summoned creatures.” and that way you can have a more managed reward system.
    • Physically attacking Baeloth has no consequences and he doesn’t turn hostile. Maybe he’s just entertained by the geas? Using magic missile turns hostile and we get killed instantly as expected. Based on his character maybe attacking him should have some sort of punishment.
    • It would be great if there were item drops from fights, and less gold rewards per round. Even something as simple as cutting the reward in half and picking up half from enemies would make sense. I think it would make sense that each round we’d have the same purse and loot as our enemies. Maybe no looting is allowed in the arena by Baeloth ;) but this definitely gives a different gameplay feel for the worse.
    JuliusBorisovATigersClaw
    Found a display issue with the Beverage menu in certain taverns. If a tavern offers 7 drinks, the last one can appear obscured by the buy button. Playing in full screen mode with a default sized display (whatever that may be) and my monitor apparently has a maximum display resolution of 1920x1080, which is what I set it to. The following image was taken in the Keexie Tavern in Baldur's Gate (Tav0154.sto).
    90hb3b0mtuiv.png
    JuliusBorisovATigersClawArvia
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @SpaceHamster Thanks for such extensive testing. Please provide archives of your saves from the Black Pits so that we could load them and repro the isssues.
    @Klakier

Our testing found that we cannot reproduce this issue reported by the user. Additionally, the size of the v2.6 SAV file is now substantially smaller than a v2.5 SAV file indicating override audio files are not duplicated in the SAV. Finally, while we are able to reproduce the crash/save corruption in v2.5, we can not produce this issue in v2.6.

If a v2.5 SAV is loaded in v2.6, the save file will still reference the override audio files, and the audio issue expressed in the repro steps above still occur.

If you still have concerns, it would be helpful if you can reproduce the issue in v2.6 and provide repro steps.

Thanks for insightful clarification. I was in hurry so i can't deny there is a possibility that i have tested the new version poorly. I'll try to double check later this week on Mac OS, Windows and Linux, and if this issue is solved then you can consider my vote as good to go, and if not i'll get back to you with the details and repro steps.
    I assumed before that issue is still persistent because files in 'overrides' directory still exists but it seems like instead moving removing overrides you have solved memory leak issue root cause, which could actually work - from what i remember with older versions we also had a lot of overrides in Polish version (early versions even required from us rewriting overrides to have Polish voice overs) and this issue wasn't occuring back then.

By the way is there a way to opt-out into a 2.6 beta on Xbox and Switch?
  • SourSour Member Posts: 82
    edited January 2021
    I've put about 30 hours in so far and I've had no broken dialogue, quests or crashes. I checked that Dorn and Neera can survive their encounters now on LOB mode. Enemy saving throes appear to be corrected. The artwork during the dream sequences now displays correctly and the casting animations and water effects no longer have lines showing up. Path finding is certainly improved since v2.5 and is playable on the hardest difficulty settings. Larlock's minor drain is also working again.

I did notice that in the bar where you meet Volo the backdrop appears to have a different color depth than all of the other backgrounds in the game. I can spot it because the black color surrounding the backdrop does not match the black borders that surround it. Beamdog might want to check that background and make sure it's color bit depth is saved correctly. I also noticed the horizontal lines on the main map but that's already been mentioned. 2.6 beta is looking pretty good so far.
    ATigersClawJuliusBorisov
    edited January 2021
    @Sour I can't repro your issue.zs7axigbr2j0.png
    4f6xuj6jurtp.png
    The sword Vampire's Revenge +1 no longer works as intended.

1. Load attached save file.
    2. Attack one of the injured party members with Ajantis's Vampire's Revenge sword.

Observed:
    The party member takes additional damage on a hit, but Ajantis himself takes no damage.

Expected:
    Ajantis should take damage and the injured party member should be healed when hit.
    JuliusBorisovMokonaATigersClawArvia
    edited January 2021
    The cutscene for entering the ruins of Kozah does not work very well anymore. The party tends to get stuck and not follow Charleston all the way to the last room.

1. Load the attached save file.
    2. Speak to Charleston Nib.

Observed:
    The party gets stuck in the first room while Charleston Nib goes all the way to the last room. The dialog between Charleston and the workers goes off in the shroud.

Expected:
    The party (or at least some of them) should be able to make it into the final room. The dialog should occur in full sight of the party.

Notes: Further research indicates that this only happens when the "Enhanced Path Search" option is enabled by editing the baldur.lua to add the following line:

SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Enhanced Path Search','1')
    Post edited by Tresset on
    ATigersClawJuliusBorisovArvia
  • TaylanTaylan Member Posts: 76
    edited January 2021
    I don't know if this is caused by a mod or if it's a bug in the beta but:

When getting badly wounded, my party members now seem to use the phrases they would use if they disapprove of the party's reputation.

E.g. Khalid says "Gorion would have none of this" and Dynaheir says "Thy manner is inexplicably evil, I take my leave!"

Edit: all sorts of vocal reactions seem to be scrambled. Upon my main character dying, Khalid just said "I love these long, lovely periods of relaxation." :D
    Post edited by Taylan on
    MiraStastnyTressetProontJuliusBorisov
  • TaylanTaylan Member Posts: 76
    Oh and another thing: I could swear that the sound effect upon right-clicking on an item used to be different. Currently it's this deep "rocky/earthy" sound no matter what item I right-click on. I think it used to depend on what item you right-click on?
  • Sam_Sam_ Member Posts: 172
    A significant number of items have item icon (BAMs) which use the wrong color for the item's shadow. The shadow colors vary wildly between items, but should always be pure black: RGB(0,0,0). Here is a single example:
    qsmufojkztd6.png
    On top is the original game resolution with a zoomed-in version below it to make the odd shadow color easier to see. If there is interest in fixing this, I can try to provide a full list of the offending BAMs. If BD would like to have this fixed but can't invest the time to do it, I might can find time to help out.
    Timbo0o0o0GalactygonATigersClawMERLANCE
    edited January 2021
    Taylan wrote: »
    I don't know if this is caused by a mod or if it's a bug in the beta but:

When getting badly wounded, my party members now seem to use the phrases they would use if they disapprove of the party's reputation.

E.g. Khalid says "Gorion would have none of this" and Dynaheir says "Thy manner is inexplicably evil, I take my leave!"

Edit: all sorts of vocal reactions seem to be scrambled. Upon my main character dying, Khalid just said "I love these long, lovely periods of relaxation." :D

Yeah, I can confirm this bug. It seems to only effect various soundsets, including (but I can't be sure if limited to):
    • NPC soundsets
    • Player soundsets added in version 2.0
    • AoN player soundsets

It also affects these soundsets in both BG1:EE and BG2:EE (and likely IWD:EE too, though I have not tested it there...)

Repro case:

1. Load the attached BG2: Throne of Bhaal save file.
    2. Wait until the previously cast Melf's Acid Arrow brings the main character to the badly injured level.

Observed:
    The character speaks a random sound from their soundset.

Expected:
    The character should always speak the correct sound, in this case it would be the "HURT" sound.

Note:
    The "HURT" sound is not the only one affected. I am not completely sure which ones are broken and which ones aren't, so make sure to test thoroughly. I can help with determining which sounds are broken and which ones aren't if you wish.
    JuliusBorisovATigersClawkaosArvia
  • RedglyphRedglyph Member Posts: 14
    Have you changed something in the pathfinding, in this very last update 2.6.2.0? I seem to have more problems than before, in the Cloakwood mine. One or two party members would inevitably go the opposite way (I suppose because there is another character temporarily in the path)

I'd been playing a while in the mines with the previous version and didn't have so many problems keeping the party together.
This discussion has been closed.