Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited January 2021
    Yeah, thats maybe a better solution @Grond0!

Talos: Charname has to play with weather effects "on" and cannot use any elemental protection spells

I will add Leira soon to our list while waiting for more feedback on Talos!

Loreth in the meanwhile managed to grab Durlags Goblet and Kiels Helmet. As usual she played hit & stealth until it failed forcing her to use Greenstone Amulet and running away as Avarice smelled some blood. After managing to restealth a quick hit & stealth let Love wander around... until he decided to walk the trap path which Loreth used to burn the poor ghost to ashes. With Goblet in the Pocket it might be time to take on Karoug... maybe...
  • alice_ashpoolalice_ashpool Member Posts: 261
    edited January 2021
    Wow, I have only played SoD a couple of times (once RP with party, once solo M/C insane where I gave up at B ), and yeah, wow, I forgot how many enemies. Lucky to have polymorph other + greater malison to deal with Korlasz asap

Plus theres wierd things going: If I let my familiar out of the bag it disappears; and I just killed the assassins and one of them dropped a stack of 80 oils of speed....

edit: wait, is that imoen's corpse with the oils of speed. wow.

edit 2, because I do not want to spam the thread too much:

Even mighty neothelids cannot resist a dragon disciples will for everything to become squirrel barbecue.
    pag3xB1.png

2wZs4Jk.png
    Post edited by alice_ashpool on
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Talos: Charname has to play with weather effects "on" and cannot use any elemental protection spells

Envious Transmuters will welcome this proposal, but other casters not so much haha. I can vote in favor of the weather on. I'm not super enthusiastic about banning elemental protection spells. First of all, inventory management is complicated already, and having to make space for potions/scrolls is a bit burdensome. Secondly casters have access to fewer items that grant elemental protections, think Icingdeath and Gift of Peace in BG1, Daeros's full plate in SoD, the Dragon Helm, Peridan, and several armors in BG2. Thirdly it disallows legitimate element-based strategies for certain casters. @alice_ashpool's Dragon Disciple for example used her own fire resistance to defeat powerful foes in Durlag's Tower. Anyway, I don't want to spoil the fun, these are just my 2 cents. :smile:
    Loreth in the meanwhile managed to grab Durlags Goblet and Kiels Helmet. As usual she played hit & stealth until it failed forcing her to use Greenstone Amulet and running away as Avarice smelled some blood. After managing to restealth a quick hit & stealth let Love wander around... until he decided to walk the trap path which Loreth used to burn the poor ghost to ashes. With Goblet in the Pocket it might be time to take on Karoug... maybe...

Great stuff this! Still no-reload right? SoD looms in the distance for Loreth!
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,437
    edited January 2021
    Ganja is on a lucky streak. I completely forgot that Basilisk waylay was a thing and going to Durlag's Tower escaped it without PfP. And then got Confused in the tower basement, but Ghasts didn't find me.
    vff68q60x053.jpg

Btw I have to ask before I continue looting. Does less than 2h buffing restrict also trap prevention? So I can't open Charm trap with Greenstone or Clarity? Although I could commence battle with enemy, buff and then run to the chest...
    Yeah, i ran into the same problem in Durlags Tower facing the charm trap @histamiini. I would call Greenstone Amulet also a spell buff so i triggered the Skels in the room nearby, stealthed away and had more than enough time to trigger the trap.

Loreth has collected all Tomes and i also tested the Demon Knight with my old test dummy. Even though the Demon can see through invsibility hit and run works perfectly fine after the Mirror Fiend took him down to badly wounded. Lets hope she can make her way to the other levels.

The coronation will for sure be the toughest battle but with full buffs and constant stabbing there should be some hope. Maybe i should plan this battle first...

Making Talos a weather only curse feels rather weak @Blackraven, so if you have other ideas feel free to post them!
    edited January 2021
    Did 10 quick test fights with my old Shadowdancer6/Fighter dummy against the Palace Ambush...

1. If i get caught by Liias Dispel Magic - not good
    2. If i cannot Shadow Step Remove Magic before the spell is going off - also bad
    3. If the Dopplegangers focus heavily on the Dukes and Fireballs hit hard its GG
    4. If Teleport Field comes out it sometimes confuses the Dopplegangers - no GG

After all 5 wins and 5 losses... it was a coin flip. Maybe with better prebuffing chances go up but the guards die so pretty damn fast its not funny and with no summons as decoys the Dukes can get under heavy fire early on. So for the moment i am toying around with the idea to choose Sune for the first part so Loreth can charm the Nobles using Algernons Cloak - which had succesfully been stolen before - and then switching to Waukeen for SoD. Will have to sleep about this one...
    edited January 2021
    Yeah @Blackraven i think that for runs in progress each player can choose if he wants to adapt to the new curses or play on with the old settings. We all know about @histamiini ´s long-term-planning! ;o)

Your idea about Talos sounds very interesting... potion destruction whenever Lightning strikes you... sounds pretty cool and makes one think twice standig near to a wall when some lightning bolt is coming at you!

More feedback is welcome!
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    Shagrat, LoB half-orc shaman (2nd and final update)
    Previous updates
    The remaining battle horrors at Durlag's should have been dealt with routinely, but with weather on there's no such thing as a routine fight! I've not played with it active for a while, but in the past it was very unusual for lightning to cause damage twice to the same target - it would regularly hit more than once, but only occasionally cause damage on the second or succeeding occasion. However, I'd already noted a worg at the Lighthouse that had been killed by a second strike, so I was aware that might have changed in this installation - so had in mind the potential need to break contact and run away if struck by lightning. In the event though there was absolutely nothing I could do when fighting the battle horror on the wall. It was badly injured and surrounded by spirits, so I wasn't concentrating closely - but still immediately noticed when half of Shagrat's health suddenly disappeared. The good thing was he had 49 HPs - and natural lightning rounds down the 50% damage of full health caused, so I knew a second strike wouldn't kill him. I had very little time to take comfort from that though. I was still reaching for the pause button when, less than 2 seconds after the first strike a second one hit - and then a third only a fraction of a second later :s.
    edited January 2021
    @alice_ashpool If you want just to test Belhifet fight, you can teleport to that level with console command, C:MoveToArea("BD4700")

I've tested Karoug fight little, and it's almost a crapshoot with his 30hppr regen, for fully kitted Beast Master with Silver Staff. Beast Master can do 48avg damage per round, but it still depends on luck, because you need to apply that average (or better) 278hp in a row. Say if you get him like 10hp, have fun when you don't hit him the next 10 times a row and then hit less than average a while. :D I still like my chances against him more than the endles traps and whatnots for Demon Knight.
    edited January 2021
    Good to see some runs still going and... well... sorry for your loss @Grond0. These Lighting strikes can be a tricky thing.

Ah, finally your Beserker starts rolling @Blackraven... cool... dualing to Mage looks like a decent option!

Oh, yeah i know these moments too @alice_ashpool... when you are burned out... taking a pause is always a good idea then.

Interesting that a Beastmaster has such a rough time against Karoug @histamiini when looking at the numbers. For a Shadowdancer/Fighter he goes down in a minute thanks to constant stabbing.

What about @Blackraven ´s idea of putting in Talos?

Talos: Charname has to play with weather effects "on" and whenever they're affected by natural or magical lightning, three potions that aren't healing potions are destroyed.

Any opinions on that one?
    Talos: Charname has to play with weather effects "on" and whenever they're affected by natural or magical lightning, three potions that aren't healing potions are destroyed.

Any opinions on that one?
    I like it, protection against shock still protects right?

I think @Blackraven ´s idea was that the three potions of your choice are always destroyed when you got hit, regardless if your character takes damage or not. Otherwise it would be far too easy avoiding it, no? ;o)
    edited January 2021
    Hmm that might be quite hard, a trap could cost like 9 potions without possibility to escape. Maybe 3 of any items (not equipped) would be more immersive and slightly less punishing, you are carrying almost always some junk around?
    edited January 2021
    We have several options here @histamiini. One idea would be that each time Charname gets hit by lightning he can chose to lose either...

1. Three Potions
    OR
    2. One magical item

Or we could lower the number of potions getting destroyed. Always having some junk stuff around would also mean more problems with Ilmater... ah, l like this suffering! B)
    Post edited by Harpagornis on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    You could limit the loss to 3 potions for each time a trap is triggered or a spell cast (or against a particular lightning storm) - so if you get hit multiple times by rebounds it doesn't cost more.
    I like @Grond0 idea the most, once for every trigger. Also normal electrical damage doesn't apply right, it needs to be lightning? So that enemies like Abazigal don't destroy every item in your inventory, and it would also be very hard to track something like this in major battles.
    edited January 2021
    Losing stuff only once looks rather lame so what about this:

Talos: Charname has to play with weather effects "on" and whenever they're affected by natural or magical lightning ( Lightning Bolt, Call Lightning, Chain Lightning or Weather Lightning) he/she has to chose which of the following items will be destroyed:
    1. Three Potions that are no Healing Potions
    OR
    2. One magical item in the inventory
    If Charname has neither of them nothing will happen

If someone now gets really smart dropping stuff to the ground before a Lightning Bolt hits - here is some upgrade for Ilmater

Ilmater: No containers of any kind. Items that are dropped on the ground are lost.

I would like to hear what @Blackraven has to say about this... each hit or just the first hit?
    edited January 2021
    Blackraven wrote: »
    but would the Ducal Palace and Sarevok be doable as a level 5 Mage, relying pretty much entirely on scrolls and wands as opposed to physical damage output? Please share your thoughts with this inexperienced dual-classer and inexperienced LoB challenger... :smile:

The only thing all that different from my DD would be you would lack all the casts of invisibility to get yourself out of fixes with Sarevok and Dukes, apart from that Sophia did it all almost entirely with wands and scrolls.
    edited January 2021
    Okay, here is the updated list of curses. New lines are in bold so everyone can catch up with the latest changes. I removed Torm´s curse of Familiars not being able to attack - i hope this is okay! I also did not add Lliiras curse regarding maximum gold as we already have curses pointing at the inventory. Thanks a lot for all your feedback and ideas pushing this whole challenge into a new dimension! : o)

Charname is afflicted with 15 divine curses out of the following 16. After each part he or she can change the curse once:

Chauntea: No XP farming unless Charname has gained 3.000.000 XP´s

Cyric: Potion- and spellbuffs with a duration of less than 2 hours may only be applied during combat

Gond: Jegg, Cromwell, and Cespenar can each upgrade just one item

Ilmater: No containers of any kind. Items dropped on the ground are lost

Leira: Charname cannot use or equip unidentified items

Lolth: No antidots or elixirs of health

Malar: Except for Beast Masters only one summon spell can be active in combat

Mask: The inventory may be accessed during combat to use consumables but not to switch items

Mystra: Each creature gains the saving throw fix

Selune: Resting is only allowed in inns and cleared dungeon floors. In the wilderness it only works near houses

Sune: Creatures cannot be charmed or dominated unless using an innate ability

Talos: Charname has to play with weather effects "on" and whenever they're affected by natural or magical lightning (Lightning Bolt, Call Lightning, Chain Lightning, Static Charge or Weather) he/she has to chose which of the following items are destroyed:
    1. Three Potions that are no Healing Potions
    OR
    2. One magical item in the inventory
    If Charname has neither of them nothing will happen. Multiple hits by rebounds will not cost more

Tempus: Except for Wizard Slayers retreats from ambushes are only possible if
    1. At least one enemy takes damage
    2. Charname takes damage from a physical attack or gets hit by a spell/gaze
    OR
    3. Charname has to kill one enemy

Tymora: Random number of Hit Points on level up and no INT-buffing for scroll scribing

Tyr: No attacking or killing of innocents unless they can be provoked through dialogue

Waukeen: Items can be recharged only once in shops

New ideas are always welcome! ;o)
    edited January 2021
    @XDarkStrikerX Welcome. Very nice first post. SCS does make BG different, but it doesn't change SoD I don't think, because SoD was already designed with that in mind. So you'll see what is in store for BG with SCS. Although SoD enemy hordes are a lot bigger than BG with SCS, minus few call for help encounters.

@Blackraven I think lv5 mage should easily dispatch Sarevok out of sight with enough WoF, and or Ring of Energy kite. Palace Ambush is another story. I feel it's the bottleneck in this challenge without charm, and lv5 mage will have hard time.

@Harpagornis The challenge now looks very well thought out, I like the curse change mechanic too, and I'm already thinking ditching Waukeen for Ilmater for SoD. Because Ilmater is just brutal. :s
    edited January 2021
    Took a break from BG and played some solo IWD HoF. I don't remember ever playing further than kuldahar but even blind the game is a completely different experience, nothing quite like being able to project image + 6 x efreeti, + 5 x sphere of chaos, rather than kiting around with throwing knives for 45 minutes. Turns out its a mode that really lets high level sorceress shine to her full potential. Nice change of pace.