Skip to content

[MOD] Shades of the Sword Coast

Comments

• LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,714
    I sent @jastey the results of my investigation, let's see how it can be handled. I don't think this should be disabled completely. Partially, for the time when PC works for Bentley (he would still react to Eldoth once the quest is completed). What I see as a must is adding at least See("ELDOTH") check because Bentley would comment on PC being with Eldoth even if Eldoth was standing on the other side of the room or was invisible.
    There is one more option, but let's give @jastey some time to think. We just found about it and we should remain careful.
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 510
    megamike15 wrote: »
    Trouveur wrote: »
    Hello,

I ran into a minor incompatibility between Shades of the Sword Coast and BG1 NPC Project.

If you have Eldoth in your party,
    Bentley from the Friendly Arm Inn
    doesn't have the new dialogue options from SotSC, meaning :
    - Zee's Quest can't be completed
    - The new quest from Bentley is not offered
    The workaround is to temporary remove Eldoth from the party, but it can only be done if the player knows
    Bentley
    is supposed to have new dialogue options.

I used spoiler balise, I let you decide if there should be a warning to other players. :)

thats intention. he hates eldoth so his text changes. it was a nice touch.
    I agree it's a nice touch, but it was added before new quests involved speaking to that NPC. He could still show his hate but allowing access to quests.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    so from the 3 or so quests ii have done so far been enjoying the mod. quest fit seamlessly into the game like they were always there and flesh out some areas lacking in side quests.

i'm to assume once this is out of beta the quests will be in the actual quest log not in the journal? thats my only real issue so far.
    Yep, once it's no longer beta and the mod is traified, the journal entries should be fine. That's gonna work better when I'm done with everything else and I am sure the mod looks exactly as I wanted it to be.

I'm glad you're having fun with the new quests.
  • konvakonva Member Posts: 64
    Hey @LavaDelVortel could you please specify me something about 2 quests please?
    Im trying to find all four shards, found only three.
    I found green, violet and blue one
    Also some unusal shards.. found only two, could you please give me clues where are located? Thank you so much
    @konva - sure, but read those spoilers if you really need to know those locations now. It may be fun looking finding those locations on your own...
    The colored spheres, as I guess that's what you mean by the first set of shards are:
    1. near the druids of Lars woods
    2. near Faldorn
    3. near Bassilus
    4. the centre of the lake, near Drizzt
    As for unusual shards:
    1. Archeological Site
    2. Ankheg Pit
    3. Wyvern Pit
    4. One of the tombs in the area where you exist the Nashkel Mines

• ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 883
    I've been enjoying these new scenarios quite a bit! They really make BG1 feel 'fresh' once again. Thanks! :smile:
  • evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93
    Where are the shards supposed to go after I collected them? I seem to have missed something.
    You mean the unusual shards? They should join together, become one item which you may activate through quick slot.
    You mean the unusual shards? They should join together, become one item which you may activate through quick slot.
    Weird. I have four, but they didn't combine.
    Use C:GetGlobal("L#ShardQuest","GLOBAL") and let me know what number shows in your dialogue window.
    If you are sure you have four of them and global is 0, then it should work. Here's the script:
    IF
    NumItemsParty("L#SHAGE",4)
    Global("L#ShardQuest","GLOBAL",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    TakePartyItemNum("L#SHAGE",4) 
    DestroyItem("L#SHAGE") 
    DestroyItem("L#SHAGE") 
    DestroyItem("L#SHAGE") 
    DestroyItem("L#SHAGE") 
    GiveItemCreate("L#SHAGS",Player1,1,0,0)
    AddJournalEntry(~Unusual Shards
    I gathered four unusual shards. Once I had all of them, they clung together. Perhaps I should somehow... activate them?~,QUEST)
    SetGlobal("L#ShardQuest","GLOBAL",1)
    END

No journal entries showed up for anything either. Maybe something got fudged up during the installation... "Global does not exist". For what it's worth, I'm using Beta2.
    As you can see, there are only 2 checks here: the number of the items (check it, maybe you lost one of them? And make sure we're talking about the very same item: the Unusual Shard) and the variable, which should be 0 at this point, so yeah, The Global does not exist sound good.

I have no idea how it works if such item is in some container, so maybe make sure it's actually in the inventory, not in some bag.
    Yeah, I took them out of the bags before trying. Oh well. Starting SoD, so it's not worth looking into further. I'll try again in a year during my 2022 playthrough. Thanks for trying, and above all, for keeping these games expanding after all these years.
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    I'm currently playing the mod for the first time and must say I am well pleased! The feel of the quests is very similar to those found in the unmodded game, and like some people said, they integrate seamlessly into the campaign. The new magical items are exciting yet seemingly well balanced. The rewards seems to fit the difficulty quite well, for the most part.

So far I can only come up with two constructive 'complaints'

1. The Shadow stronghold quest is a bit too rich for a Ch1-2 quest. Also, the I found the aggregate exp reward from killing all those shadows to be quite excessive at 480exp a piece, considering that just a moment ago I was killing gnolls for 65exp. If I was the modder, I'd probably reduce the number of enemies or replace them with a lesser, Ch1-2-friendly version.
    2. The Ioun Stone of Darklings doesn't seem to confer its THAC0 and AC bonus at night - or at least they don't show up in the character sheet.

All in all, great work on the mod!
    Thank you!

As for your feedback:

1. On one hand yes, you get 480 XP per shadow, BUT remember you get 2 000 XP for sirines that aren't far from the Stronghold and you can farm them on the Lighthouse area. Or, if you prefer, it's an equivalent of 2 ankhegs you can kill way easier, by casting a Command spell on them. They are quite vulnerable. However, will reduce the number of shadows by 4, making this quest give you almost 2000 less xp. I am not going to make player get XP for those creatures, as this is the number of XP you get them in other Baldur's Gate games and I want that part to be consistent. But 4 fewer shadows means you get a bit less XP, so... Let's call it a compromise.

2. The Ioun Stone of Darklings, as other items that cast spells when certain conditions are met (like the time of day check) are not visible right away. You need to escape the inventory area and give it a second or two. Once the time of day is detected, this unique spell is cast, giving you the bonus. The check is made every 6 seconds and the spell last 6 seconds. That's how such effect is coded and that's the exact same way similar items by Beamdog are built.

Cheers!
    so i found the book and one of the notes but i can't seem to find the other note and i feel like i've explored the whole shadow stronghold.
    Check the dining hall - there are two entrances out there (excluding the stairs).
    found it. the door was blending into the background. might be worth trying to make it more obvious where the entrances are.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @megamike15
    Did you hold/push tab to highlight interactable objects?
    edited February 2021
    Endarire wrote: »
    @megamike15

my issue was i could not see the door in the dining hall. i was holding tab the whole time.
    Post edited by megamike15 on
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
    edited February 2021
    @LavaDelVortel I didn't even think of the comparison to Ankhegs. Yeah, it kinda makes sense now that you mention it. Maybe the problem is with the vanilla stronghold itself (it being way, way too easy, even on SCS) Anyway, thanks again for the great mod, dude!

ps: How do you start the hidden bastard swords quest in Firewine ruins? I found two swords close to the Firewine bridge, but got no idea what to do with them. Who's the NPC I'm supposed to speak to, and is he in the ruins or the bridge area?

EDIT: I scrolled through some earlier posts and found the answer I was looking for.
    Hell, I don't think I would've ever figured out you could enter the turrets on the bridge. Maybe it would be a good idea to add some kind of note, indication or visual effect that it is possible to do so?

megamike15 wrote: »
    Endarire wrote: »
    @megamike15

my issue was i could not see the door in the dining hall. i was holding tab the whole time.

Heh, this is exactly what happened to me as well. I made it all the way back to Nashkel, only to realize I had found only one of the two rolls of partchment. Back at the stronghold, I went through the containers twice before realizing there was an extra doorway I'd missed.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Lava implied he needs more RAM!
    as i'm using the pervious version this report is not for the new content.

the kobold quest seems to be bugged. i talked to the wife about getting zee to live there and the quest is not progressing. no journal pop up nothing. her dialogue choice about letting zee stay is just stuck there and won't progress.
    Which version are you using? I know there was a problem in vBETA2 and I think I fixed it in BETA3, IIRC.
    Which version are you using? I know there was a problem in vBETA2 and I think I fixed it in BETA3, IIRC.

looks like i have version 2. i could have sworn i downloaded 3 for this run. but as i'm in chapter 5 this won't resolve itself until my next run with version 4.