Skip to content

[MOD] Shades of the Sword Coast

Comments

• Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    I'm already in progress on my playthrough with the previous version, so I'll need to wait for the next run to try your changes. But I've been through most of the content of your mod, and just as I expected, it's wonderful. It's very smooth and perfectly blended in, with a good amount of unique content and art. Love your work Lava.

Especially liked the new items, which add a quite good new flavour to existing stuff in BG as some of them are really unique. Some quests made me spend a bit of time to figure out (and some still in progress), but not in a tiresome way.

Haven't faced any bugs, except that I couldn't find a way to start "Into the Womanhood" quest. So, maybe that had a bug, and I see that you've already released a fix for that quest. So will see it in my next run. Oh, one more thing maybe:
    In Circle of Stones quest, I understand that I'm not supposed to be able to use any abilities or spells when I'm inside the portal. However, I can still use wands. Is this expected? As I am playing a solo cleric/mage, it would be really hard for me without wands and spells to be honest, so I'm not complaining
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,700
    @Ludwig_II - Thank you! :) I really hope people will enjoy the mod and that it will make BG1 part a tiny bit more interesting!
    Haven't faced any bugs, except that I couldn't find a way to start "Into the Womanhood" quest.
    It's more like an encounter, not a quest. It happens in Nashkel and only if your PC is female. If you play a male PC, then it's going to become "Into the Manhood".

And about Circles of Interest quest:
    that wand thing is an engine thing. To make antimagic area you just "tick" one box and everything else is handled by the engine itself so I do not control it :)

A quick note everyone: I made a tiny mistake thus I just released BETA2.1. The mistake may prevent you from enjoying SoD quest I added. If you haven't started a new game yet, though, grab the fixed version :)
    Yeah my PC is female. But I couldnt find the encounter.
    Also, could I please ask for help on this one:
    In Firewine, for the 3 swords quests, I could only find 1 old bastard sword in one gate. I can’t find the other 2, checked everywhere in Firewine
    edited January 2021
    @Ludwig_II - Here's where those manhood/womanhood encounters happen:
    vmcnb1ch3pcb.jpg

But BETA1 had female version bugged, so no worries. I think it's a local bug in your game and you'll probably enjoy this encounter next time. And it's just one talk that allows player share his/her thoughts and move on, it's not like you're missing a quest with 5 new areas :)

The Firewine Bridge quest:
    Here - one is under the bridge, in that rubble, the other wine is near the eastern part of the ruin, close to the eastern edge of the map :)
    cl7y1tevzw2x.jpg

Once you finish the mod, let me know what was your favorite quest :)
    Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
    Wow, well hidden :) Thanks for the spoilers
  • evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93
    I know it's still beta, so that alone might answer this question, but any EET support coming in the future? When I try to install on EET in mentions"Resource [AR4501.are] not found in KEY file".
  • skushaskusha Member Posts: 136
    @evildevil97, you should probably install this mod before EET (on BG1EE), as well as add a line with the name of this mod to compatibility.tbl file (EET\tbl). Try to follow this order of installation.
    edited January 2021
    Eh, like in most threads: I do not play EET, I do not use it, so I have no idea. But EET compatibility usually comes in time, when there are people who want to help to implement everything that's needed.

Check this thread:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1158545#Comment_1158545

That said, if this mod is to be checked right now, it should be installed on BG1EE BEFORE EET. Will it work? Maybe. I can't guarantee that, but if it's to work, then that would be the order.

Cheers
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    I know it's still beta, so that alone might answer this question, but any EET support coming in the future? When I try to install on EET in mentions"Resource [AR4501.are] not found in KEY file".

alot of modders consider eet an after thought as not many use it. it does get added eventually but that tends to be after 3 or 4 updates focused on more relevent things like bug fixeing.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @Austin87 has done a lot of EET conversion and we request your help in converting this to EET when you're available. Thankee!
    edited January 2021
    @Endarire - I know Austin can help, but could you not decide if that mod is EET ready? This - unlike most mods I release - has version flag called BETA, because it needs testing and traification and those are priorities (in that order), not EET conversion. This mod is quite big, it introduces over 30 new areas. Don't you think it would be nice to know if it works fine before big EET installation get broken because of some minor bug?

There were huge changes between BETA1 and BETA2 and while I do not suspect something that big will happen again, this is NOT a final product. When it's no longer a beta version, then I will talk to Austin or someone else, depending on that someone's time. And BTW - Austin is helping me with something else at the moment and I don't want to put even more on his plate right now. Believe me, if I need someone's help, I will talk to that person myself, but under the right conditions, when I know that person isn't already busy with other stuff / because of me and my other requests.
    Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Do not make decisions for other modders regarding their mods.
  • evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93
    @LavaDelVortel That's what I figured. It's on the table post-beta, got it. Just wanted to ask / confirm.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @LavaDelVortel
    Thankee for that clarification.
  • DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    Thank you for breathing life into these games! Wonderful to see so many new quests added into BG1. While the exploring aspect was fun in the past, I have always found BG1 to be lacking compared to BG2 because of the many meaningless areas; hopefully this alleviates that :)
    You're welcome! :) Let me know once you try this mod out!
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Thank you for breathing life into these games! Wonderful to see so many new quests added into BG1. While the exploring aspect was fun in the past, I have always found BG1 to be lacking compared to BG2 because of the many meaningless areas; hopefully this alleviates that :)

i also feel alot of bg 1's vanilla quests are very forgettable. the ones i do remember tend to be from the many mods for it.
  • ConnellyConnelly Member Posts: 70
    Found a couple of inconsistencies when asking Taerom to work on some armor. When I gave him the shade wyvern skull, he said he'd need about 4k gold, yet he took 19999. Now when I gave him the spider exoskeleton, he asks for 4k, but takes 18k (which was also all I had on me and left me on 0).

uun7os20ouwm.png

That aside, what I've seen of new content has been quite nice. I've only seen the Friendly Arm Inn basement, the shade Gnoll stronghold and the Ulcaster spider nest, and they've been pretty good mini dungeons.
    @Connelly - Thanks! Hope you'll be having quite some fun with the mod.

About gold - are you sure you don't have some other mod that does some weird stuff like that. I just checked the code and I see this:
    CHAIN taerom L#ULCSP.01
    ~Give me... ten days. That should be enough.~
    DO ~SetGlobalTimer("L#ULCSPTime","GLOBAL",TEN_DAYS) SetGlobal("L#ULCSPCRAFT","GLOBAL",1) TakePartyItem("L#ULCSP") DestroyItem("L#ULCSP") TakePartyGold(5000) DestroyGold(5000)~ EXIT
    So the number is ok. He takes 5k gold and then destroys it so you can't steal it back. It's the same with other items.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    @LavaDelVortel just because I had a lot of troubles with these "TakeParty" transactions:
    best they are always specified with ActionOverride. I had bug reports again and again with Garrick not taking his ring in bg1re and the items from teh children from bgqe babysitting quest landing on the ground etcpp until I finally realized that if an NPC interjects, they are performing the actions, not the original character the group is talking to.
    Just a heads up which has nothing to do with the reported odd behavior but something I was fighting with currently.
    (Using ActionOverride also means the characters in question need to have a Death Variable which not all have etcpp just in case community list for DV patching is here.)
    @LavaDelVortel
    ==L#HIGBO ~You are a true friend, stranger. I don't know your name, but it truly deserves to be on all the lips in... what's the city right next to us? Burughast? Well, you know what I mean.~
    At least it didn't say
    pissant town - that's what Thalantyr says for one of his spoken lines. :D You have no intention to change that, do you?
    @jastey - well, that means someone used INTERJECT_COPY_TRANS instead of INTERJECT_COPY_TRANS2 as that's the remedy for the problem you're describing. As you can read in WeiDU readme:
    This works just like INTERJECT_COPY_TRANS, except that any actions taken in the transitions of the state specified by entryFilename and entryLabel are preserved and kept with the speaker associated with entryFilename (rather than being mistakenly performed by your new speaker). See the INTERJECT_COPY_TRANS2 tutorial.

Because it's insane to use every ActionOverride for every such instance of TakePartyItem, TakePartyGold... and every LeaveParty, EscapeArea, Attack, JoinParty (and many other actions) because those would also be performed by a wrong actor in the situation described by you. We just need to be careful when we are using I_C_T, because perhaps those situations need I_C_T2. And there are also I_C_T3 and I_C_T4, but I don't think I ever needed to use those. They're quite rare.

And about Thalantyr:
    Well, perhaps that's the best part - that L#HIGBO is actually nicer than it's owner. Used filename to avoid spoiling who L#HIGBO is :P
    @LavaDelVortel I don't use I_C_T2 any more because it is not good for compatibility as it fails if there are more than one transactions with different actions. Since any mod could add a new transaction - like every NPC interjecting is one and sets a unique variable only in this transaction - I_C_T2 is very unreliable (using it for the next installed NPC mod would already fail in this example).

Yes, it is more work but not that much in total depending on the mod. If all questmods would use ActionOverride consequently we could get rid of all those stupid passback lines so the transactions like Enemy() and EscapeArea() stay with their original speaker...
    Anyway, if you get bug reports about items not being taken out of the group's inventory or laying on the ground after the dialogue you know what to do. ;)

And about L#HIGBO - for me it's not about being nice or not. It could just be they never heard the real town's name if they only converse with you know who...
  • ConnellyConnelly Member Posts: 70
    I cannot think of anything I've installed before Shades that would change Taerom's lines. After, High Power seems to modify Taerom and his dialogue, but I haven't noticed anything in the file that would explain the change in gold taken.
  • bearcattonybearcattony Member Posts: 32
    It is NOT compatible with EET yet. Tried to install it, errored immediately
    It is NOT compatible with EET yet. Tried to install it, errored immediately

@bearcattony Noone said otherwise?
    this mod (...) should be installed on BG1EE BEFORE EET. Will it work? Maybe. I can't guarantee that, but if it's to work, then that would be the order.
    @Connelly - if there was something to change in SotSC, it would need to appear AFTER installing my mod. I tested that part and did not get that bug. You can also use spoiler tag to paste your WeiDU log so I and other people who may have some ideas knew what's there, in your game.

@bearcattony - as I said before, EET compatibility was not checked just yet, however it looks like you tried to install the mod after EET and as skusha said:
    you should probably install this mod before EET (on BG1EE), as well as add a line with the name of this mod to compatibility.tbl file (EET\tbl). Try to follow this order of installation.
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 489
    Thank you for this awesome mod ! I really like BG1, and indeed it lacks some quests to fill the maps to explore.

Now, between BG1QEE, Ascalon's Quests Pack, Balduran Sea Tower and your mod, BG1 feels so much more alive !

I'm torn between trying all theses new quests gor BG1 and moving to BG2 in order to try your NPC... Shade and Hephernaan seems so intriguing.

I'm currently in a playthrough with your first beta (I did a complete reinstall just before Beta 2 was released).

I have a question about a quest :
    "Fungal Friendship: a small quest-encounter in Cloakwood (spider-infested part of the forest) during which you meet a soldier and his... very unusual friend. Will you help them survive the unfortunate circumstances?"
    I just explored this part of Cloackwood and didn't encounter any new NPC. Is there a special condition to trigger this quest ?

Thanks! Hope you'll have even more fun once you try out BETA2 or 3, if it comes out before your next run!

As for that question of yours:
    Once you enter the spider-infested Cloakwood area from the east, go down and down and down, to the... not sure how to call it... cliffs? Anyway, there will be a rock out there where you can find the passage a small new area. Not far from the original pile of items you may find on that area.

The encounter is pretty small and it's just to add a little something for that area I myself... well... hate. In a way.
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 489
    edited January 2021
    Thank you ! It was a nice encounter indeed.

I really liked the Shadow Gnolls Fortress, and the hunt of the four spheres. By the way,
    the final weapon is like a throwing dagger, usable by anyone, how does the proficiency works ? Quayle seems to use it with no penalty. My gnome cleric/illusionist from my previous run would have loved having this weapon for SoD !
    Post edited by Trouveur on