Skip to content

Some bugs (v 2.6.6.0)

1) Image created with 'Mislead' spell can do (full) damage to enemies.

2) Ogre form from 'Polymorph Self' spell still haven't magical weapon (flag 'Magical' is not set). See my old post.
JuliusBorisovtl1942

Comments

• kotopheykotophey Member Posts: 97
    3) 'Animal Summoning I' spell still can summon only one creature despite its description. See my old post for possible solution.
    tl1942
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Aside from using a speed weapon (i.e. Belm) to attack with the clone, how else is it dealing damage?

The creature's summoned by "Animal Summoning I" have changed since it's inception, which is why it no longer summons as many. The description may be what needs changing.
    Regular Wolf was replaced with Dire Wolf, and the weaker Wild Dog was removed from the list.
    kjeron wrote: »
    Aside from using a speed weapon (i.e. Belm) ...

Truth to be told, I don't know myself. I somehow succeeded to reproduce this bug a couple of times, but then I failed to repeat it. It quite possibly that my bard uses Belm before casting 'Mislead' spell? I do not know.
    The creature's summoned by "Animal Summoning I" have changed ...

Dire Wolf creature is level 4 creature and War Dog is level 2. This is how it was in original BG2.

It spell description quite clearly told about max creatures level and they quantity. Just don't know how it may be read/understand differently.

PS Sorry if my english is bad - google translate + some dusty school memories.
    Aaemforever
    Aside from using a speed weapon (i.e. Belm) ...

Just double-checked it - yes it was Belm. But by my understanding it's a bug anyway.
    kotophey wrote: »
    Just double-checked it - yes it was Belm. But by my understanding it's a bug anyway.
    Yes, it's a bug. Just curious if it was those weapons or something else.
    edited July 2021
    4) Invisible stalker creature summoned by arcane spell 'Invisible Stalker' (6 lvl) have non-magical weapon - flag 'magical' isn't set.

PS Here some my fixes. Extract zip into 'override' folder with installed game.

PPS Also, the Invisible Stalker has an incorrect behavior script (old one) - i.e. it attacks the owner while being attacked (by a weapon, spell, or any friendly creature).
    Post edited by kotophey on
    AaemforeverAndreaColomboJuliusBorisovtl1942
  • AnonymousHeroAnonymousHero Member Posts: 98
    edited August 2021
    More bugs in 2.6.6.0 (completely fresh install, Linux, no mods whatsoever):

True Sight and Detect Illusion are considered hostile spells (as in: breaking invisibility of the character casting them).

I believe this is actually an endianness issue (32-bit vs 64-bit). When I look at the SPL file header flags, interpreting it from one end shows that the spell has 0 in the bit which signifies "hostile action", but interpreted from the other end it shows that the spell has a 1 in that position. Hence my suspicion that endianness issues might be at play.

I think this might also explain some of the other weird bugs you're seeing @jmerry .

@JuliusBorisov Apologies if you guys are already aware, but I think this might be worth investigating.

Oh well, back to 2.5 for me...
    AndreaColombo
    True Sight and Detect Illusion should break invisibility/sanctuary.

Due to game mechanics, they have always been implemented as offensive spells, dispelling enemy illusions, rather than true divinations.
    Detect Illusion is location-targeted, so it has always broken them anyway.
    AndreaColomboBalrog99
  • SourSour Member Posts: 82
    The Dithering option in the graphics settings is bugged out and causes streams and ponds to flicker. Turning the option off and back on fixed the problem temporarily. Path finding issues from version 2.5 still occur at the bottom of the Daveorn map. LOB mode is still unplayable in BGEE without extreme cheese thanks to the -11 AC problem.

It would be super cool if Beamdog would upload version 2.3 to steam since it's the last version of the game where LOB, pathfinding, and dithering worked correctly.
    edited August 2021
    True Sight and Detect Illusion should break invisibility/sanctuary.

Due to game mechanics, they have always been implemented as offensive spells, dispelling enemy illusions, rather than true divinations.
    Detect Illusion is location-targeted, so it has always broken them anyway.

True Sight has never broken invisibility before in any version AFAIK. Not the originals nor does it on 2.5. The spell description doesn't mention it either. (Whether it does in AD&D, I have no idea, but BG isn't really all that faithful to AD&D in many other respects, AFAIUI.)

The list of changes from 2.5 to 2.6.6.0 doesn't mention it either, leading me to think it's in an unintentional change. If you have evidence to the contrary feel free to post it.

Now, whether that bit flag has been set to 1 -- I haven't checked -- I probably should, but it should be easy so confirm (or show to be wrong) for the devs, so I didn't bother. It was just something that sprang to mind because of the 32-bit -> 64-bit conversion.

Re: Detect Illusion: Fair enough. However, Invisibility Purge (L3 divine spell) doesn't break invisibilty in 2.5, but I'm 99% sure it does in 2.6 -- and that's an untargeted spell. (I'm 99% sure I tested this, but don't want to do an entire reinstall just to check that.)

EDIT: I'll re-test with a completely vanilla 2.5 EE if I get a chance later just to fully confirm on both totally vanialla 2.5 and 2.6.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    It's a mechanical change to the game. All* of the divination attack spells have the "break sanctuary" flag set, which breaks invisibility in 2.6. It didn't in 2.5 and earlier.

* Well, OK, not really all of them. The secondary spells on True Seeing/True Sight don't have that, so you can cast TS and then go invisible for the remaining nine rounds.
    AndreaColombo
    edited August 2021
    Yes, it certainly appears to be an implementation change. I was able to test properly with a completely vanilla 2.5 and indeed it doesn't do this.

I can't find anything about it in the release notes, though.

I'm just wondering why this change is even there. I mean lots of other spells have always broken invisibility, so it can't be that the code only now started to respect the 'breaks invisiblity' flag... can it? Or are you saying that the flag was added to the divination spells in the 2.6.x patch?

Regardless, I'd like it clarified by the devs whether this is actually intentional or not.

(Thankfully there's not really much I need from 2.6.x, so I'll just stay on 2.5. When such time that 2.6.x becomes required by mods I suppose I can mod the Divination spells to remove the flag.)

EDIT: Just minor clarifications.
    The spells had that flag in 2.5. It's the behavior of the flag itself that has changed. In 2.5, self-targeted spells with that flag broke Sanctuary but not invisibility. In 2.6, spells with that flag break both states.

Spells that target other actors have always broken invisibility, even without an explicit flag.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    How has anyone even gotten the new patch to run? The application won't even start for me.
    jmerry wrote: »
    The spells had that flag in 2.5. It's the behavior of the flag itself that has changed. In 2.5, self-targeted spells with that flag broke Sanctuary but not invisibility. In 2.6, spells with that flag break both states.

Spells that target other actors have always broken invisibility, even without an explicit flag.

Interesting. I tested in 2.5 (vanilla) and you're right True Sight (divine) does indeed break Sanctuary. How odd to have had this inconsistency in the game for so long. I still don't quite get it programming wise, because it seems like an exemption for Divination spells must have been removed or similar. All other spells did break invisibility (as you would expect) before the change.

Anyway, I'm still puzzled as to *why* these spells 'should' break invisibility (as you put it in your original reply), but whatever.

I think this is veering into thread-hijacking, so I'll stop harping on about it now. I'd really just like an official statement from the devs on whether this is truly intentional or not. (And if so: how they reconcile that with the behavior of the games for the last 20+ years.)
    I didn't say anything about what "should" happen with these spells. I've only reported on what they actually do, and only in that one post.

Also, it's not just the divination attack spells. Plenty of other self-targeted spells have that same flag, from barbarian rage to Chain Contingency.

One thing I noticed digging through things ... True Seeing/True Sight is inconsistent about whether that invisibility-breaking flag applies to later rounds. The mage and Priest of Helm versions have that flag on the secondary spell, so it applies to all eleven ticks. The priest and Inquisitor versions have the flag only on the main spell, so it only applies to the first tick. Clearly, there's a mistake somewhere; these spells should all function the same way.
    AndreaColombo
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @Galactygon for the spell inconsistency
    I spoke too soon, though ... testing it with a priest of Helm and a sorcerer, ongoing True Sight/True Seeing doesn't break invisibility or sanctuary. Apparently, that flag is only relevant for spells cast directly, rather than spells cast as part of another spell's effect. So while there's an apparent difference between versions of the spell, it seems to have no actual gameplay effect.
  • pleymorpleymor Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2023
    -