Skip to content

Let's Play Policy?

Hi, I would love to do a Let's Play series of BG:EE but I can't find any policy from Beamdog if they are fine with it (with monetization or without it). I know that there are already some LPs of BG:EE but I'd like to know if creators are fine with it before recording and posting. An official statement on games page or studios page would also really help me and other YouTubers with dealing with YouTube.
Klorox

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'll tag @Zeckul since I think he had some issues with his let's play.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Dee may clarify the situation as well...
  • PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
    Most developers would at least appreciate a link to the game's official website/store though.
    KloroxJuliusBorisov
  • MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236
    I have a question regarding LP policies too, actually. I've been running one over on my Tumblr account and I'd like to link it here as well, but I was wondering what section of the forum would be the place to put it? Fan works, maybe, or is there somewhere better suited to it?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited May 2015
    @Moczo Fan Creations if they are all yours, General Discussions or Off topic if you plan to include other people's work as well... Of course any work that is not yours must be fully credited and if it is requested by the author or not credited it may be removed.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    JuliusBorisovMoczo
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    These are great, and it really (if done well) might help publicity/awareness of BG:EE. I see it as win/win.
  • MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236
    Thanks! It is all me, barring allowing readers to vote on decisions, so I guess Fan Creations would be the spot.
  • GodOfMythGodOfMyth Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone, I am also planning on doing Let's Plays and Reviews for all the BGEE and IWD Games, English, and full on voicing all the non-voiced roles so no one will need to squint to read, etc. my question for youtube let's plays and reviews involve monotization, can these kinds of things be monotized for youtube channels. I know there are youtubers who have monotized lets plays but I am unfamiliar if it is game per game basis and if these are ones that can or cant be.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @GodOfMyth I've asked around. The Beamdog police re/streamer monitization is a definite NO.
    CrevsDaak
  • GodOfMythGodOfMyth Member Posts: 3
    @JuliusBorisov Thank you for the clarification, with all these let's plays I see on Youtubers pages it's hard to tell especially with no actual page on the Beamdog page discussing streaming, whereas a dev like Devolver has a whole section for it on their site. Thank you for the Clarification.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovvoidofopinion
  • LoveblanketLoveblanket Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2018
    ROFL! So they don't mind the free publicity, but it bothers them that streamers might make a few bucks off of ad revenue? That's beyond stupid. It paints Beamdog in a negative light, it means that few people will actually take the time to do a long LP like these games, and that means fewer eyes on the product and fewer dollars in their wallet. I was going to do a full Baldur's Gate series run, but I'm not doing 300 hours of free advertising for Beamdog. If I can't monetize, I won't support you or your products.
  • voidofopinionvoidofopinion Member, Moderator Posts: 1,248
    GodOfMyth said:

@JuliusBorisov Thank you for the clarification, with all these let's plays I see on Youtubers pages it's hard to tell especially with no actual page on the Beamdog page discussing streaming, whereas a dev like Devolver has a whole section for it on their site. Thank you for the Clarification.

I love Devolver Digital.

http://canipostandmonetizevideosofdevolvergames.com/

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited December 2018
    So in other words: Beamdog has no say in the matter. Take up your complaint with WotC.

I would also like to note that the document linked above states:

"You can, however, subsidize your Fan Content by taking advantage of sponsorships, ad revenue, and donations—so long as it doesn’t interfere with the Community’s access to your Fan Content."
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666

ROFL! So they don't mind the free publicity, but it bothers them that streamers might make a few bucks off of ad revenue? That's beyond stupid. It paints Beamdog in a negative light, it means that few people will actually take the time to do a long LP like these games, and that means fewer eyes on the product and fewer dollars in their wallet. I was going to do a full Baldur's Gate series run, but I'm not doing 300 hours of free advertising for Beamdog. If I can't monetize, I won't support you or your products.

that seems really petty. so because you can't make money off an lp your not gonna support the company.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295

that seems really petty. so because you can't make money off an lp your not gonna support the company.
    Why would you "support" a company? I think if you are happy with the product they offer, you will buy it. If you think they need money in order to create good products in the future, you might even give them some money in advance. But beyond that, why would it be petty to do not do anything else for free?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    supporting in this context means buying the game. so because he can't make money off a lets play he won't buy beamdog's games. thats why i said he was being petty.
  • VorZolVorZol Member Posts: 3
    Guys, I'm a little bit confused... I would like to create a (hungarian) BG lp series on Youtube, it is allowed or not? Based on Dee it is allowed but based on JuliusBorisov it is forbidden... What is the truth? :) Can I get an updated statement?
    No, it's allowed - you can share your playthroughs etc.

Monetization is part that is not allowed, though. https://company.wizards.com/fancontentpolicy

Monetization is part that is not allowed, though. https://company.wizards.com/fancontentpolicy

Ok, now it's clear, thank you!
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    VorZol wrote: »

@VorZol will you send me a link if you start your lp series ? Thanks!
    Danacm wrote: »
    VorZol wrote: »

@VorZol will you send me a link if you start your lp series ? Thanks!

Ok, I will send the link. But please note, it will be in hungarian. :)