Skip to content

Noober's Game

1789101113»

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Arvia wrote: »
    2. Cast Sleep on the man.

As your spell envelops the man, his features soften and he slumps to the road in a limp heap. You search him quickly and find a letter in his breast pocket. One section is of particular interest. It reads: "...procure a talisman of Lathander to protect yourself from the undead creature..."

The bandit defeated, you stand on the lonely road. To the south lies the ancient ruin, and to the north lies the small town square.

Responses:
    1. Return to the town square.
    2. Proceed south toward the ruin.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Procede south toward the ruin.
    edited October 2021
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Procede south toward the ruin.

Eventually, you find yourself staring at crumbling stone walls and a decrepit tower, all that remain of a once-mighty fortress. As soon as you enter the ruined courtyard, a shriek erupts and a skeletal figure charges you!

Responses:
    1. Cast Magic Missile at the skeleton.
    2. Cast Sleep at the skeleton.
    3. Cast Charm Person at the skeleton.
    Post edited by jmerry on
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101

The magical projectiles streak unerringly toward their target and stop the charging skeleton in its tracks. Chunks of bone sail high into the air as it is obliterated.

The courtyard has a ruined shed to the north which seems to have been visited recently. There is a ruined building to the south which appears undisturbed. There is also a dark doorway to the east which appears to have seen recent activity. Beside the door, you notice a shred of fabric the same color as your mentor's cloak.

Responses:
    1. Enter the ruined shed to the north.
    2. Enter the undisturbed building to the south.
    3. Enter the dark doorway to the east.
  • Timbo0o0o0Timbo0o0o0 Member Posts: 60
    3. Enter the dark doorway to the east.
    edited October 2021
    [Nullified in the interest of doing something new this time; see below]
    Post edited by jmerry on
    (( :/ so much for trying the other paths that weren't taken in the last iteration. At precisely the one junction where two previously unexplored options wait... sigh))
    edited October 2021
    Sigh indeed. Want to retract that option and try for something else? I deliberately waited, but apparently not quite enough.
    Arvia
    I'm European, it was 3 AM for me when @Timbo0o0o0 posted.

If you're okay with it, I'd like to use Powerword: Reload and choose

Agreed. Power Word: Reload has been cast. With two votes (including mine), the revised choice is:

The rotten timber of the shed door gives way to your hand, and the decrepit wood falls to the ground before you, revealing a ghastly, dusty figure wrapped in strips of cloth, shambling forward from the darkness.

Responses:
    1. Cast Magic Missile at the mummy.
    2. Cast Burning Hands at the mummy.
    3. Cast Sleep at the mummy.
    4. Cast Charm Person at the mummy.
    Arvia
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Balrog99ArviaZaxares
    Grond0 wrote: »

My thought exactly. Old, desiccated cloth strips should ignite like dry kindling!
    Arvia

My thought exactly. Old, desiccated cloth strips should ignite like dry kindling!

Maybe we can even keep an arm as a torch.
    Balrog99

Flames arc forward from your outstretched hands, and the shambling figure is engulfed in an inferno of bright flames. It falls to the ground and thrashes as it is reduced to ashes. Glancing about the shed reveals nothing of value.

The courtyard has a ruined shed to the north which seems to have been visited recently. There is a ruined building to the south which appears undisturbed. There is also a dark doorway to the east which appears to have seen recent activity. Beside the door, you notice a shred of fabric the same color as your mentor's cloak.

Responses:
    1. Enter the undisturbed building to the south.
    2. Enter the dark doorway to the east.

Mummies in the Baldur's Gate series are all vulnerable to fire - they have negative resistance to it. This one, it seems, is no exception.
    No torch arms, though.
    ArviaBalrog99

(Pity we couldn't arm ourselves...) (and apologies for the bad pun, couldn't resist)
    Balrog99

The grass grows high and thick around the undisturbed building, and there are even some delicate flowers here that grow nowhere else in the bleak ruins. The door is untouched by decay and swings in easily at your touch.

On the ground before you lies a set of silver armor flanked by a heavy mace and an intricately engraved shield. You note the symbol of Lathander on the breastplate of the armor. On the belt of the armor is a flask of water which glows with a faint holy light. You take the holy water for future use.

Responses:
    1. Enter the dark doorway to the east.

No choices left. And while the armor would be nice for some adventurers, it's no use for a wizard.
    Enter the dark doorway to the east.
    Enter the dark doorway to the east.

You step through the dark threshold, and the air chills around you. A piercing shriek echoes in your head as torches on the walls of the ancient crypt flare with an unearthly blue fire. You fall to one knee as you look up and see a pale figure with large fangs. A vampire.

Responses:
    1. Cast Magic Missile at the vampire.
    2. Cast Burning Hands at the vampire.
    3. Cast Sleep at the vampire.
    4. Cast Charm Person at the vampire.
    5. Brandish the symbol of Lathander.
    6. Smash your clove of garlic and throw it at the vampire.
    7. Throw the flask of holy water at the vampire.

You've picked up the goodies, so you get all seven response options here.
    Balrog99

The flask shatters on the stone floor of the crypt, dousing the vampire in holy water. Its flesh begins to smoke and char, and it stumbles against the far wall of the crypt, cowering and shaking.

Responses:
    1. Cast Magic Missile at the vampire.
    2. Cast Burning Hands at the vampire.
    3. Brandish the symbol of Lathander.
    4. Smash your clove of garlic and throw it at the vampire.

The holy symbol flares with searing light. Beams of energy pierce the weakened vampire, and its flesh curls and chars as blue flames consume it. The vampire collapses on the floor and slowly dissipates into a cloud of gaseous mist which flees the room.

You rush across the crypt to the next door and find your mentor slumped on the floor. Fearing the worst, you check his neck, and he stirs weakly. You realize he is still alive. Beside him is a wooden coffin, and you notice a tendril of gaseous mist escaping into it.

Responses:
    1. Take your master and flee the crypt.
    2. Cast Burning Hands at the casket.

The wood of the coffin bursts into flame and a shrieking sound reverberates through the crypt as it disintegrates. The shrieking sound subsides, and the crypt is left quiet and lifeless. You shoulder the burden of your mentor and begin the long journey back to town.

You arrive in town late at night and find all the doors in town barred. You shout and pound on the doors of the temple of Lathander until a small window above is opened. The priest instantly recognizes you and lets you in.

"By the gods! How have you survived out of doors so late? And your friend! He is in need of aid. I shall take him to the infirmary as you tell me your tale."

Over the next few days, your mentor regains his health, and the townspeople no longer see the terror stalking at night. They give you what gifts their modest incomes allow and herald you as a hero. When your mentor recovers, you continue your journey together to Waterdeep to pursue your arcane studies there.

Wow! That was pretty good. You did it. I guess there isn't any challenge that you cannot overcome. That's a fun game.

So what did you think? Was it a fun game?

Responses:
    1. Yes, I enjoyed it very much.
    2. Well, it was a game.
    3. It wasn't very good, no.

I'm glad to hear it. Would you, by chance, like to play again or perhaps choose another class?

Responses:
    1. Okay, perhaps I will try another class.
    2. No, I would rather quit.
    edited October 2021
    *raises her sword in salute to thank jmerry for this thread and leaves quietly to watch from the shadows and let someone else decide how to further deal with Noober*
    ZaghoulBalrog99Grond0Permidion_Stark
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    edited October 2021
    jmerry wrote: »
    And while the armor would be nice for some adventurers, it's no use for a wizard.

The packrat in me is shrieking madly at the thought of leaving nice, possibly magical, loot behind. Couldn't we at least take it to sell back at town? ;)
    Grond0
    An update: I've just released version 1.0 of my tweak mod, which has a component implementing this game in the main BG2EE campaign. The fixes and rebalancing used here are in effect in that component.

See here for more details.