Skip to content

BG1 Unfinished Business v16.0

15678911»

Comments

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    @Cahir if bg1ub is installed to BG:SoD before the EET conversion it should work, yes. That's the usual way and it's supported by EET as listed in the EET Linklist.
    @Maurvir chapter numbers are only different for BGII part, for BG and SoD they are the same in EET, too. In case that wasn't what you meant.
  • MordekaieMordekaie Member Posts: 269
    What are the left restorations/fixes brought by the component "Store, Tavern and Inn Fixes and Restorations" and not included in BGEE 2.6.6 ?
  • Gazzelle1Gazzelle1 Member Posts: 1
    Is there any hope to see bg1unfinishedbusiness in BG:EE ver 2.6?
    What's the problem with bg1ub and patch 2.6?
    edited March 2022
    The "nobleman" in Candlekeep tavern gets his specifice name : Thurston

It probably comes from component "18. Creature Name Restorations": By digging through various game files, many NPCs can now be given specific names, rather than, for example, "Noblewoman".

But he loses his PPE portrait when considered as a "nobleman". while his wife keeps her PPE portrait as she is still considered "noblewoman"

PPE = Portrait Portrait Anywhere

I know it is nothing but it is bothering me, like a very tiny bug. Does anyone could explain me what should i do to give him a portrait (whether from PPE or by other ways). It would ber my first step into modding not just installing mods.

What modification should also be done to give a name to his wife ?

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    It seems that the Minor Dialogue Restorations adds a Flamedance Ring to the Nobleman on the middle floor of the Friendly Arm Inn. In EE however, he already has such a ring, meaning he ends up with two of them. Nothing really important, though.
    @Thels thanks for the info! I guess these is one of the cases where bgee already restored something so bg1ub should be adapted.
    @Mordekaie sorry for late reply. If PPE doesn't recognize the nobleman any more I'm afraid it'son PPE's side to acknowledge for bg1ub's presence and the changes it did.
    As for how to alter portrait and names of a cre, this is the principle syntax to use in a tp2 file. It would need to be adapted with the according creature file names which I don't know offhand:
    COPY_EXISTING ~crename.cre~ ~override~ 
    SAY NAME1 ~Name~
    SAY NAME2 ~Name~
      WRITE_ASCII 0X34 ~Portrait~ #8 //small portrait

You can probably also make the changes in Near Infinity for your current game only, but it would need to be before you enter the area with these characters for the first time (or the changes will not show because the older version is already stored in teh savegame).
    edited July 2022
    jastey wrote: »
    @Mordekaie sorry for late reply. If PPE doesn't recognize the nobleman any more I'm afraid it'son PPE's side to acknowledge for bg1ub's presence and the changes it did.
    As for how to alter portrait and names of a cre, this is the principle syntax to use in a tp2 file. It would need to be adapted with the according creature file names which I don't know offhand:
    COPY_EXISTING ~crename.cre~ ~override~ 
    SAY NAME1 ~Name~
    SAY NAME2 ~Name~
      WRITE_ASCII 0X34 ~Portrait~ #8 //small portrait

You can probably also make the changes in Near Infinity for your current game only, but it would need to be before you enter the area with these characters for the first time (or the changes will not show because the older version is already stored in teh savegame).

@jastey I havn't see your answer until now. I have to clarify one point (b/c it has nothing to do with PPE) :
    - Here Thurston : https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Thurston
    - On vanilla game, the nobleman in the Candlekeep tavern is just referenced as "nobleman" (like his wife : the noblewoman).
    - If you install PPE, they both get a sequencial/random portrait (for example the nobleman will get a portrait from the PPE's nobleman portrait group). At this point every thiink works as intended.

In case you install BG1 UB (before PPE), i think one component of BG1 UB will do at least one change :
    - BG1 UB will give a name (Thurston) to the nobleman; so the nobleman is not anymore considered as a nobleman by the game. It is Thurston. On the opposite, BG1 UB doesn't anythink about the noblewan (she stays the "noblewoman").
    - The fact is that now PPE has portraits for a "noblewoman" as intented by PPE (PPE gives portraits to npcs without a proper name i think). So Thurston loses his portrait from PPE...

Anyway i will try to apply your .tp2 modification. Thanks a lot. :smiley:

I found out that Thurston (originally just a nobleman) is NOBL4.CRE
    In BG1 UB modfolder, there a mod called "creature" containing the file "bg1ub_crename.tpa. Within this files i found those lines (that should correspond to our Nobleman tat BG1 UB ends up naming Thurston i believe) :

COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%NOBL4.CRE~ ~override~ // AR2616
    SAY NAME1 @45
    SAY NAME2 @45
    SAY 0x198 #13540
    BUT_ONLY

If i am in the right place, should i add above BUT ONLY the line : WRITE_ASCII 0X34 ~Portrait~ #8 //small portrait

I guess i will also need to look for a small portrait, rename it @45 (?). Where should i place it in the modfolder ?
    Post edited by Mordekaie on
    @Mordekaie
    I have to clarify one point (b/c it has nothing to do with PPE) :
    What you described is what I meant: ideally , PPE would consider the changed cre and assign the portrait after BG1UB changed the name. On the other hand it might be wanted behavior, because with a name he is no longer a generic nobleman.
    If i am in the right place, should i add above BUT ONLY the line : WRITE_ASCII 0X34 ~Portrait~ #8 //small portrait
    That would work, yes.
    Please note: "Portrait" here is the name of the portrait file (without the file ending), its name should have max 8 letters.
    I guess i will also need to look for a small portrait, rename it @45 (?). Where should i place it in the modfolder ?
    The "@45" is the name Thurston bg1ub applies. The portrait file name would be something else. Were you planning on adding an own pic, or using the one from PPE? There is some portrait size and format you need to consider, but then you can just place it into the override manually. If the portrait name is patched to the cre file, it will show if it's present in the override folder.
    Or you can just patch the name of the "nobleman" portraits from PPE.

edited July 2022
    @jastey
    ...it might be wanted behavior, because with a name he is no longer a generic nobleman.
    That would work, yes.
    Right. I think PPE definitely adresses generic npcs (the ones that don't have specific name). There is also that "old" mod (that noone seems to use anymore : The Picture Standard) which complete PPE in my souvenir). I will go back to those two mods to confirm what i am saying.

About the portrait, PPE doesn't propose any specific portrait for Thurston, only generic ones for NPCs referenced "nobleman" for example.

Let's confirm the procedure with BG1 UB:

COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%NOBL4.CRE~ ~override~ // AR2616
    SAY NAME1 @45
    SAY NAME2 @45
    SAY 0x198 #13540
    WRITE_ASCII 0X34 ~Thurston~ #8 //small portrait
    BUT_ONLY

- I am going for Thurston, because it's just 8 letters and i got inspired !
    - Now i need to find a photo (just one, i guess a small one ?) that could fit Thurston, at the right size and format. I am going to pick a picture either from PPE or The Picture Standard b/c they should be at the right format
    - Then i put the portrait in the Oveeride folder.

Let's go for a new experience ! Next it is going to make my own patch for this "no problem" issue.
    @Mordekaie aaaand another player lured into the deep den of modding successfully, harharhar! :p
    Have fun!
  • oldscalyoldscaly Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2023
    It looks like the Missing Citizens quest was skipped for the most recent version since it "wasn't needed" for EE, but Scar still ask for Sashenstar's daughter's body even though it no longer appears in the game because the mod skips this update. Makes it impossible to properly finish this quest.

Edit: The note for the most recent version reads "* BGEE: Scar and the Sashenstar's Daughter - Skip ubscar_fixes.d - not needed for BGEE." The fix definitely should not be removed with the latest version of BGEE.
    edited October 2023
    @oldscaly
    The ubscar_fixes.d is really not needed in EE, and not the culprit for your problem. This is what it does:
    -Reward in state 11 should be 2000 gold, instead of 4000. (BGT)
    -Reward in state 13 should be 4000 gold, instead of 2000. (BGT)
    -State 17 is missing the extra 2000 (for the promised doubled reward). (Dudleyfix)
    -In state 35 the reward should be 1000 gold and the XP max. 2000 XP instead of 2500 (2000 XP is what you get if you told what the Ogre mage was doing there).

BGT: fixes
    -Reward in state 11 should be 2000 gold, instead of 4000.
    -Reward in state 13 should be 4000 gold, instead of 2000.

Adds reply option to state 31:
    - IF ~~ THEN REPLY @1067 EXIT
    - - All of which are no longer needed in EE.

The body of Sashenstar's body is placed into the Eastern Sewers (AR0226.are) for all games (including BG:EE), as well as her ring. If the component installed successfully, it should have patched the area file accordingly. What did the .DEBUG say?

If you were unable to locate the body, there is the possibility of a mod conflict. Please post your weidu.log.
    Maybe you also want to search in AR0226.are again or have a look at the area file in Near Infinity (the items are directly patched into the are file so they will be listed in the AR0226.are in the override folder). Maybe the patch process failed.
    EDIT: another possibility is if you installed the mod after already visiting the sewers area, the new items will not show.
  • ktchongktchong Member Posts: 88
    edited February 21
    BGEE v2.6.6.0 + BG1 Unfinished Business v16.4:

My party cleared the underground levels 1 and 2 of Nashkel Mines. They found two Vials of Mysterious Liquid on level 2, but did NOT venture beyond level 2. Then, my party then left Nashkel Mines, turned back to Nashkel (the town), and then went to Beregost; (i.e., needed to sell the loots from Nashkel Mines; also needed to pick up Safana after Imoen had reached level 7 as a thief and dueled-class to mage.)

So my party has not yet completely cleared all underground levels of Nashkel Mines. They have not yet received "The Tainted Ore" quest from Berrun Ghastkill.

When my party was in Beregost and spoke to Taerom Fuiruim, they had the two Vials of Mysterious Liquid in their inventory. The vials triggered the dialogue for Taerom to examine the vials, and he said to come back in two days; which also added a new quest entry in to my journal, titled "Vial of Mysterious Liquid":

s7usan1w8kue.jpg

As you can see from the screenshot of the journal, the "Investigating the Nashkel Mines" quest was not yet completed in Chapter 2. My party gave the Vial of Mysterious Liquid to Taerom. That was still in Chapter 2, (i.e., before completely clearing the Nashkel Mines.)

After a couple days, my party returned to Taerom. So the "Vial of Mysterious Liquid" quest was finished and logged as such. However, it messed up Neera's quest entry:

lbca85ukm2r0.jpg

Notes: The problem in the screenshot above had already occurred in Chapter 2. However, I did not discovered it until Chapter 3. I loaded old save games from Chapter 2, and then found out that the "Neera" journal entry were already messed up after finishing the "Vial of Mysterious Liquod" question.

Later in Chapter 3, (after clearing Nashkel Mines,) it would messed up more journal entries:

9k95vcixd25r.jpg

@ktchong The bg1ub "Mysterious Vial" quest does not install on BG:EE, because BG:EE comes with an own implementation. So this is not bg1ub's content.
    Second, you seem to have an UI mod installed. This is probably the reason for the scrambled journal entries, would at least be my assumption.
  • ktchongktchong Member Posts: 88
    edited February 21
    @ktchong The bg1ub "Mysterious Vial" quest does not install on BG:EE, because BG:EE comes with an own implementation. So this is not bg1ub's content.
    Second, you seem to have an UI mod installed. This is probably the reason for the scrambled journal entries, would at least be my assumption.
    A few years back, I had played BGEE with the BG1 Unfinished Business mod but without any UI mod, (but never finished the game.) I remember also having gotten the same problem.

So the problem is with BGEE. This should be a simple fix: BGEE just has to add a check for Taerom to make sure Nashkel Mines have been cleared before adding/initiating the "Vial of Mysterious Liquid" journal entry and quest.

I do not believe the problem is with Dragonspear UI++, even though the UI has a lot of problems. The UI only interprets journal entries. The problem is with the journal entries and quests that were added out-of-order.