Skip to content

Ask Beamdog

Comments

• AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    And it is very, very appreciated!
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    I've just read on LinkedIn that Beamdog's now been acquired by Aspyr Media.

Does this in any way change the plan to keep supporting the EEs?

From the article it would seem it doesn't, but figured this would be a good place to share the news and ask.
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited April 2022
    I've just read on LinkedIn that Beamdog's now been acquired by Aspyr Media.

Does this in any way change the plan to keep supporting the EEs?

From the article it would seem it doesn't, but figured this would be a good place to share the news and ask.

After reading the article, I'm also curious about this acquisition. Will it add more personnel and resources, so that you may better support the EE's? Or, will this reduce the number of people employed by Beamdog? From what I have read in the past, it's rarely ever good for both parties involved when a company buys another.

Thank you for reading. Happy, healthy (both mentally and physically) gaming to all.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    This doesn't change our plans. What I said one week ago is still relevant.
    Thanks for confirming, Julius.
  • ThainThain Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2022
    Are you planning native Apple M1 support for the Infinity Engine games?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Eventually. Not for 2.6. Just as we made sure the games run on Catalina, we'll handle M1 when the need arises (when it's clear that the games can't run on the previous system anymore).
  • ThainThain Member Posts: 2
    Thank you.
    edited April 2022
    Just wanted to drop a line here and wish everyone a Happy Easter Sunday. Be blessed. Be safe. Stay healthy.
    Thank you @Prince_Raymond !
  • gladosglados Member Posts: 30
    any plans to release icewind dale 2 ee?
    No, there are no such plans.

https://kotaku.com/nobody-can-find-the-source-code-for-icewind-dale-ii-1796724450

However, check out the fan project - the post is pinned in Off-Topic.
  • gladosglados Member Posts: 30
    thanks you!
  • FelipefplFelipefpl Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 119
    edited May 2022
    There are 2 projects with improvements to icewind dale 2, one of them is here, there is a link to another one at sorcerers's place.

Edit - i wonder why beamdog doesnt use the same tools those guys use to improve things. They added a lot of fixes, improvements, restorations and a few new things too.
    @Felipefpl I believe WotC grants the D&D license to one developer at a time. @JuliusBorisov can confirm or deny. At the moment, Larian have the license which means no other developer can put out D&D games. That automatically rules out an IWD2 release from Beamdog.

That’s beside the point, of course, that Beamdog’s work force is now focused on MythForce.

That said, working on an Enhanced Edition without the source code is extremely time- and resource-intensive. It would cost a lot more than any other EE. Beamdog already have experience of this as the source code for Heart Of Winter was also lost and they had to re-write it for IWD:EE. I’m sure that gave them an idea of how expensive it would have been to do the same thing for the whole of IWD2. I don’t think it would have make financial sense for them.
    I agree with @AndreaColombo. That answer seems spot-on.
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    Will there be more patches for Baldur's Gate or is 2.6 the last one?
    Etamin wrote: »
    Will there be more patches for Baldur's Gate or is 2.6 the last one?

A tentative yes. Please check out the comment from April.
  • aethel90aethel90 Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 1
    Hy! Can we know what happened to the translate.baldursgate.com? I've been waiting fo a long time for BG2EE to be translated to Hungary, and now unfortunately the site is no longer available :(
    aethel90 wrote: »
    Hy! Can we know what happened to the translate.baldursgate.com? I've been waiting fo a long time for BG2EE to be translated to Hungary, and now unfortunately the site is no longer available :(

Try https://translate.beamdog.com/ instead.

baldursgate.com now belongs to the WotC.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    The forum seems to be run over by people who offer help for various things…. I dont remember this sort of thing being that much of an issue before.

I know the mods are doing their best to rid these out, but is there an eta om shutting them down more permanently?
    Yes, spamming on the forum in bulk has spiked recently @StummvonBordwehr agree. Let's hope something can be done. I do note the spam is cleared relatively quickly.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    The spamming is really annoying. Please have mercy with your moderators and us users and upgrade the resgister security checks.
    We're working on that. I absolutely agree with you there! <3
    Could something like a time restriction be applied to new members? I'm surprised to see the spambot posting what seem to be endless amounts of threads each only a minute apart.
    In the meantime, we've made the following change: users are allowed to post only 3 discussions within 240 seconds, or they'll be spam blocked for 5 mins. That's the maximum the settings allow.
    Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to have helped much.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    We're doing what we can to keep up with banning/deleting, really. But RL and time zones make it difficult, and the bots have us outnumbered by far. Have patience with us, please.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    Arvia wrote: »
    We're doing what we can to keep up with banning/deleting, really. But RL and time zones make it difficult, and the bots have us outnumbered by far. Have patience with us, please.
    Not to worry @Arvia
    We know, that you are doing your best, and a solution will come up. These bots sure a annoying, but in a couple of months it will be over and we can all laugh about it. Actually I have a couple of jokes lined up already…. :#
    Arvia wrote: »

My posts are absolutely not addressed at the moderation. This is a principle issue, and BeamDog / Overhaul Games as a company could take this a bit more serious, please. Browsing the forums is a PITA currently.