Skip to content

[v2.5.0] OlvynSpells: 150 New Spells for BG:EE, BG2:EE, IWD:EE and EET

Comments

• BlackstoneBlackstone Member Posts: 14
    @Endarire No, as I said it was a clean install with just the latest version of this mod.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Thankee for the clarity!
    edited October 2022
    @Blackstone
    I tried reproducing your problem on 2.6 (no EEex) and couldn't. Did you try reinstalling or/and starting a new character? Is your security system (Windows Defender, etc.) in the way?

@OlvynChuru
    You probably didn't intend this, but dimension door can let people enter and leave Candlekeep's interior.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    @Endarire
    Endarire wrote: »
    You probably didn't intend this, but dimension door can let people enter and leave Candlekeep's interior.

That's weird. I thought I specifically included a script that prevented you from teleporting in Candlekeep and in the Wyrm's Crossing area. Apparently it wasn't working. I just released an update which fixes that.
    edited October 2022
    @Blackstone
    I tried reproducing your problem on 2.6 (no EEex) and couldn't. Did you try reinstalling or/and starting a new character? Is your security system (Windows Defender, etc.) in the way?

I've tried again using my 2.6 clean backup and with a newly downloaded copy from GOG and I'm still having the same issue. On each install I made a new character and get the same result. I only run the built-in Windows security and there is no reason why it should have any effect and it didn't make a difference when I tried with it disabled.
    @OlvynChuru
    Request 1: Update your thread title to show the newest version - not 2.2.0.

Request 2: Talk with Bubb about what about EEex should be updated to 2.6 to allow OlvynSpells to work. Morpheus562 and Bubb have chatted often on the Gibberlings3 Discord Server and Bubb has seemingly added EEex functionality specifically to allow Morpheus562's mods to work.

Thankee!
    @Endarire
    Request 2: Talk with Bubb about what about EEex should be updated to 2.6 to allow OlvynSpells to work.

I've already sent @Bubb messages multiple times requesting features to be re-implemented. He has re-implemented some of them, but not all of them (notably the Projectile Mutator functionality still hasn't been re-implemented). My guess is that @Bubb is really busy and hasn't gotten around to it yet. It's understandable.
    Thankee for letting me know.
  • UOLegacyUOLegacy Member Posts: 153
    edited November 2022
    I have a question regarding "Improve Chain Lightning". What does this do?
    @UOLegacy
    UOLegacy wrote: »
    I have a question regarding "Improve Chain Lightning". What does this do?

From the description of the component in the opening post of this thread:
    *Improve Chain Lightning

Chain Lightning deals too little damage normally. This component changes Chain Lightning to be more like its Icewind Dale version (it bounces between creatures, dealing 1d6 less damage with each bounce), except it deals up to 20d6 damage and doesn't harm allies.
  • UOLegacyUOLegacy Member Posts: 153
    Thank you!
    @OlvynChuru
    Today in Discord, Bubb mentioned that the projectile mutator is implemented in EEex 2.6 "sans maybe one edit, though that'll be non-breaking to what's there." Enjoy!
    @OlvynChuru
    What's your ETA on updating OlvynSpells for 2.6 EEex compatibility?

Thankee!
    @Endarire
    @OlvynChuru
    What's your ETA on updating OlvynSpells for 2.6 EEex compatibility?

Thankee!

I have no idea. It's going to take a while to get my old code to work on the new EEex. @Bubb has renamed all the EEex functions and all the Lua files; some of the functions seem to have been moved to different locations as well. I'm not used to it at all. The code overall seems much less transparent than it used to be.
    Thankee for the update.
    @OlvynChuru
    The newest EEex release reimplements the Projectile Mutator (op408). Enjoy!
  • WulcyWulcy Member Posts: 32
    It's too bad the author doesn't update this mod for the latest Infinity engines.
    @Wulcy
    Wulcy wrote: »
    It's too bad the author doesn't update this mod for the latest Infinity engines.

The parts of the mod that don't require EEex should work on the latest version of the EEs. It's just the parts that require EEex that don't work. The problem is that EEex's code is totally different now than it was when I built parts of the mod to use it. All the inputs and outputs in EEex's functions have been changed (typically involving objects rather than numbers), so all the functions I made that used EEex's features in the past no longer work. I'll have to spend a while figuring out how to get those things to work, and currently I'm working on Icewind Dale 2: Enhanced Edition.
  • WulcyWulcy Member Posts: 32
    Thank you for working on IWD2. I didn't know that was even happening. I didn't mean to get on you for it. I understand you're very busy. Thanks for everything.
    Thankee, Olvyn! Our family eagerly awaits the 2.6 update of OlvynSpells!
    icc73o1lma3j.png

OlvynSpells is now compatible with the new version of EEex, and almost all of the EEex-only spells now work on v2.6 of the EEs.

Only a small number of spells and components are still incompatible with the current EEex. These spells and components have been removed for the time being, but will come back once EEex regains the features needed for them to work.
    The omitted spells are: Taunt, Far Cast, Spellshaping: Fireball, Mass Cast, and Enoll Eva's Duplication.

The omitted components are:

Allow familiars to deliver the wizard's touch spells

Make it so the spell Oracle lets you foresee what spells enemies are going to cast (like Spellcraft in 3rd-edition games)

Add 3E-like Metamagic abilities to the game

Technical Details: All three of these components, and the spells Taunt and Far Cast, require the EEex_HookAction function to work, and that hook is currently no longer available in EEex. Spellshaping: Fireball, Mass Cast, and Enoll Eva's Duplication require a hook that allows the wild surge opcode to always trigger a specific surge (Wild Surge: Fireball, Wild Surge: Area effect, and Wild Surge: Spell cast twice, respectively).

Download
    edited February 2023
    @OlvynChuru
    I looked at the thread on the main page, saw you replied to it, and thought, "Is today the day?"

The answer is a resounding, "Mostly!"

Regardless, on behalf of my family, we thank you for the update you posted so far! We're looking forward to a full 2.6 update once everything is ready! Alleluia!

PS: Did you change displacement to be touch range as we discussed?

PPS: Did you update the spells you could with your latest version of your spell tool?
    Blackstone wrote: »
    The latest version doesn't seem to work properly in Throne of Bhaal. I started a new game in ToB to test out some of the spells and it gets stuck on a black screen. If I save and quit, I load into the game but the stone heads dialogue never starts. This was on a clean install with just the latest version of your mod. The spells themselves seem to work fine though and I'd really like to use them in a new run. Any idea what's going on?

I tried the newest version of your mod on a clean install with just EEX and I'm still getting this issue. I have also found that I don't get a game over when the player character dies. This issue with no game over on PC death occurs in both SoA and ToB so it isn't just something unique to ToB.
    @Blackstone Okay, I fixed the problem. Download the mod again here.
    PPS: Did you update the spells you could with your latest version of your spell tool?

Yes.
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    @Blackstone Okay, I fixed the problem. Download the mod again here.

Thanks for looking at this! ToB is starting correctly now, but I'm still not getting a game over on PC death.

@Blackstone
    Okay, I fixed the problem. Download the mod again here.

Thanks for looking at this! ToB is starting correctly now, but I'm still not getting a game over on PC death.

I think preventing a game over on PC death was something I did deliberately. The reason was because otherwise, if you cast Contingent Resurrection on your PC and they die, Contingent Resurrection won't bring them back before the game ends. But I could probably make it so you get a game over on PC death as long as they don't have Contingent Resurrection active.
    @Blackstone
    Okay, I fixed the problem. Download the mod again here.

I think preventing a game over on PC death was something I did deliberately. The reason was because otherwise, if you cast Contingent Resurrection on your PC and they die, Contingent Resurrection won't bring them back before the game ends. But I could probably make it so you get a game over on PC death as long as they don't have Contingent Resurrection active.

It's fine if it is intentional, I hadn't seen that change mentioned anywhere so wasn't sure if it was a bug. Thanks again. I'm looking forward to starting a new run with this mod soon.
    Familiars weren't working properly on EET. This is simply a matter of how EET handled familiars, since, normally, familiars have different stats in each campaign (BG1, SoA, ToB). This is a problem for all mods that modify familiars on EET and not just OlvynSpells.

This code is a handy solution from k4thos, author of EET. When I was part of a team that adapted More Style for Mages AKA MSFM to EET, we used this code as a base to have familiars work in our new mod version. (MSFM allows PC familiars to have custom appearances and names.)

Thus, consider this a note for when you adapt Touch Spells for Familiars.

Also note that multiple familiar mods generally don't work together: Only the most recent one applies. I'd like this ability to work well with the better familiars from other mods like klatu, MSFM, Tome & Blood, and Tweaks & Tricks, but I'm unsure how these would cooperate code-wise.

Thankee!
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    edited February 2023
    INFO: LPRINT: [string "M__MEFUN.lua"]:584: attempt to compare nil with number
    stack traceback:
            M__MEFUN.lua:584: in function 'EEex_GetActorIDShare'
            M__MEFUN.lua:13755: in function <[string "M__MEFUN.lua"]:13752>
            (...tail calls...)
            @d:\Baldur's Gate - ProjectInfinity\Baldur's Gate II EET\override\EEex_Projectile.lua:701: in function 'callProjectileMutatorFunc'
            @d:\Baldur's Gate - ProjectInfinity\Baldur's Gate II EET\override\EEex_Projectile.lua:628: in function 'EEex_Projectile_Private_ProcessMutatorFunctions'
            @d:\Baldur's Gate - ProjectInfinity\Baldur's Gate II EET\override\EEex_Projectile.lua:718: in function <...finity\Baldur's Gate II EET\override\EEex_Projectile.lua:695>
    INFO: LPRINT: [string "M__MEFUN.lua"]:584: attempt to compare nil with number
    stack traceback:
            M__MEFUN.lua:584: in function 'EEex_GetActorIDShare'
            M__MEFUN.lua:13755: in function <[string "M__MEFUN.lua"]:13752>
            (...tail calls...)
            @d:\Baldur's Gate - ProjectInfinity\Baldur's Gate II EET\override\EEex_Projectile.lua:701: in function 'callProjectileMutatorFunc'
            @d:\Baldur's Gate - ProjectInfinity\Baldur's Gate II EET\override\EEex_Projectile.lua:628: in function 'EEex_Projectile_Private_ProcessMutatorFunctions'
            @d:\Baldur's Gate - ProjectInfinity\Baldur's Gate II EET\override\EEex_Projectile.lua:718: in function <...finity\Baldur's Gate II EET\override\EEex_Projectile.lua:695>

OlvynSpells 2.3.0 on EEEx 0.9.18.
    Post edited by GraionDilach on