Skip to content

Ascension v2.0

12346»

Comments

• _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    Even after 20 years people are still editing, customizing and improving this game. Amazing.
  • amberCoffeeCatamberCoffeeCat Member Posts: 90
    It's because this game is simply worth it :-)
  • apredeusapredeus Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

It's been terribly long since I played BG2 - probably over 10 years. I'd like to give it a shot using BG2-EE. The setup I enjoyed most was pretty much all original Weidu mods (Tactics, Ascension, Item upgrade, Solaufein) over original BG2 + ToB.

Do they work with BG2:EE? I see lots of modding discussions, but can follow very little, unfortunately. I'd be grateful if you can comment on this.
  • JohnBobJohnBob Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2023
    Hello @apredeus ,

For original weimer Solaufein i don't know !

Following mod (in install order) are BG2EE compatible :

- Ascension (direct download)
    - Item upgrade (direct download)
    - Solaufeins_Rescue_NPC (direct download) This mod is a different version by Jastey, so not the one you seek but still Solaufein !
    - Tactics2_for_EE (direct download)
    - Tactics-Remix by Morpheus
    Post edited by JohnBob on
  • ive1985iveive1985ive Member Posts: 2
    DavidW wrote: »
    Possibly; will investigate.

could someone tell me where could i find this infinity engine. I love baldurs gate but am illiterate computer
    wise. Really was lookimg forward to play something new after 20 yrs but have no idea what to do. it says open in infinity engine
  • ive1985iveive1985ive Member Posts: 2
    could someone tell me where could i find this infinity engine. I love baldurs gate but am illiterate computer
    wise. Really was lookimg forward to play something new after 20 yrs but have no idea what to do. it says open in infinity engine
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    The "Infinity Engine" is the game engine that these games - Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale, and Planescape:Torment - are based on. The game itself should just be a program of its own. You run it.

If you're looking to install a mod, mods for this game use a specialized programming language called WeiDU, and thus need an executable for that programming language to install them. Most mods, including the one discussed in this thread, come with installers - that executable for the programming language, renamed for the mod. Follow the "installation" instructions in the mod's readme.

If you don't have the game for your current system, you're posting on the forum of a company that would be quite happy to sell it to you, in the form of the "Enhanced Edition". On PC, Mac, Android and iOS mobile devices, various game consoles ... whatever system you've got, you can probably run it.
  • Shin0b1G6Shin0b1G6 Member Posts: 23
    Heya, anyone know when to install Edwin Romance v3.1 alongside the latest version of Ascension on Gibberling3? I'm interested in the alternate Viconia epilogue component only and not the romance with Edwin itself. Any help would be great.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    Ascension 2.0.24

The new version of the Ascension mod was released. It brings English proofreading of whitespace, punctuation and such, major update to French translation, minor updates for all other translations, fixes for 3 missing translation lines, compatibility with Stratagems "Start TOB with Watcherkeep" component, and some other minor changes and fixes.

One important thing that I want to mention is that the ability to translate this mod using tra files is restored, while also keeping the translation system: Infinity Engine/Ascension @ BGforge Hive. Now you can choose which method you want to use. In other words, for those who want to use .tra files, everything returns to how it was for the past 20 years, and for those who prefer the translation system, nothing changes.

Full changelog:
    • The ability to translate this mod using tra files is restored
    • Added compatibility with Stratagems component "Start TOB with Watcherkeep"
    • Fixed creation of imoslay2.spl on classic BG2
    • Fixed not existing spell name SPIN822b.BAM to SPIN822.BAM
    • Fix for msg2po regex not supporting double quotes
    • English proofread of whitespace, punctuation and such by Jazira
    • Major update of French translation by Jazira, Selphira and Machiavelique
    • Minor update of Russian translation by abalabokhin
    • Minor update of Czech, Chinese, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish and Spanish translation

Translation changes:
    https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/32899-ascension-updates-to-v2021/page/2/#comment-323896
  • QuitchQuitch Member Posts: 17
    One thing I'd very much like to see is a difficulty reduction. The final battle feels like it's a difficulty level one up from what you've encountered before. This is in part due to play testers being way too hardcore, and due to some misguided association between difficulty and epicness. While I'm cool with the idea of it being challenging, I think the pendulum swung too far towards being hard for something that sits on the critical path.
    @Quitch Once, I had a similar idea, aka Ascension Lite: remove everything related to difficulty spikes and 'tougher' components, leaving only new items, interactions, dialogs and epilogues etc. Even if such idea is valid, I think that it's better to implement it directly into the main mod.
  • Christian79Christian79 Member Posts: 48
    Quitch wrote: »
    One thing I'd very much like to see is a difficulty reduction. The final battle feels like it's a difficulty level one up from what you've encountered before. This is in part due to play testers being way too hardcore, and due to some misguided association between difficulty and epicness. While I'm cool with the idea of it being challenging, I think the pendulum swung too far towards being hard for something that sits on the critical path.

Can´t you lower the game difficulty to make that work?
  • QuitchQuitch Member Posts: 17
    A player should be able to play through the game on the same difficulty the whole way, lowering difficulty should be a last resort and not the standard. The most common complaint I see about the mod is its difficulty when compared to the rest of the game.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    ALIEN wrote: »
    I had a similar idea, aka Ascension Lite: remove everything related to difficulty spikes and 'tougher' components, leaving only new items, interactions, dialogs and epilogues etc. Even if such idea is valid, I think that it's better to implement it directly into the main mod.
    I'd appreciate such a tweak very much. It would be usually realized by adding an optional component to the mod that nerfs the fights accordingly.
    I will not install a mod that makes opponents tougher in what seems to me a random way just because the mod author thought it's cool. Which in this case is a pity because I wouldn't mind experiencing the new content.
  • UlkeshUlkesh Member Posts: 209
    I am part of the team disliking the huge bump in difficulty. I find the whole endgame fight you play in ascension "cheesy".

I would love such a tweak. It would be even cooler if it was done in such a way to still allow compatibility with mods that rely on Ascension to be installed, such as The Longer Road by Dorotea.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Agree. One of the reasons I hesitate to use Ascensions is that, I'd love to play only new content, without increasing combat difficulty (which is already bumped by SCS). I'd very much enjoy separating the combat difficulty increase stuff from new story content, so I could install only the latter.
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    When I played Ascension with everything installed, I found out that Chapter 10 fights with Melissan are very hard too. But I liked the improvements on individual fights with stronger Five. My solution to this was to install all individual ‘Tougher’ components but not install Rewritten Final Chapter component which changes the whole fight with Melissan. So every component except that one increases the difficulty of my game in a balanced but mildly more challenging way, which works out for me. Just sharing my experience, maybe it can help some others too
    Ascension 2.0.25
    • Added Portuguese translation by Ecthelion
    • Updated German translation

Ascension 2.0.26
    • Fixed installation of Portuguese language
  • AzyraAzyra Member Posts: 22
    ALIEN wrote: »
    Ascension 2.0.25
    • Added Portuguese translation by Ecthelion
    • Updated German translation

Ascension 2.0.26
    • Fixed installation of Portuguese language

Man, vc tem o link do mod para a versão Mobile?
  • shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 178
    I seem to have had issues with this mod lately. I am also wary of anyone
    modifying Abazigal after that additional dragon-drop from one mod. IMO
    it is better to try to adhere as closely to the original as possible, rather
    than become super-creative and break balance. Lava's mods are in general
    very good examples of mods that focus on a few things only; as a result
    I almost never have any issues with his mods, whereas mods that try
    too many things, always seem to also create more problems (or, run
    into issues by other mods that try to change things that these other
    mods changed).
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited January 4
    I seem to have had issues with this mod lately. I am also wary of anyone
    modifying Abazigal after that additional dragon-drop from one mod. IMO
    it is better to try to adhere as closely to the original as possible, rather
    than become super-creative and break balance. Lava's mods are in general
    very good examples of mods that focus on a few things only; as a result
    I almost never have any issues with his mods, whereas mods that try
    too many things, always seem to also create more problems (or, run
    into issues by other mods that try to change things that these other
    mods changed).

Read the Readme file. Hopefully it'll give you some insight on what the intent of the original mod is/was, starting with Gaider's intent back in 2002 or so and DavidW's fixes. These encounters are clearly meant to be much, much more difficult than the vanilla versions... i.e. Yes it will 'break balance' if you want to have a balance that's closer to unmodded gameplay. All it takes is comparing the opening fight with the first Bhaalspawn in vanilla vs Ascension version; the difference is clearly night and day and intended.

The readme iirc pretty clearly spells out what you're in for. If someone doesn't like this particular component (or the scope of the mod in general), then do not install it; it's an entirely optional component and not everyone's cup of tea. Pretty simple.
    Ascension 2.0.27
    • Updated Spanish translation by ElGamerViejuno
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Agree @Ludwig_II as tougher challenge with the five and other components like oasis provides a good balance but the Mellisan fight is so different almost considering not installing as took alot of attempts to beat but guess each their own
    Ascension 2.0.28
    • Update Infinity Auto Packager
    • Update Simplified Chinese translation
    • Fixed swapped encodings for Chinese and Traditional Chinese
    Note to translators: This is the last version that require ANSI tra files, next version will switch to UTF8 tra files.