Skip to content

[v2.5.0] OlvynSpells: 150 New Spells for BG:EE, BG2:EE, IWD:EE and EET

Comments

• WulcyWulcy Member Posts: 32
    Can you install MEspells without Eeex if you do not install the additional 146 spells? All I want to use MEspells for is to alter the already existing spells.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    @Wulcy
    Wulcy wrote: »
    Can you install MEspells without Eeex if you do not install the additional 146 spells? All I want to use MEspells for is to alter the already existing spells.

Yes.
  • heatcliffheatcliff Member Posts: 26
    edited March 2023
    is that still viable all spell without eeex . I wanna use on my android installation
    @heatcliff
    heatcliff wrote: »
    is that still viable all spell without eeex . I wanna use on my android installation

Huh? What are you asking? There are some spells in this mod that will be added even if you don't have EEex, just not all of them.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    edited March 2023
    OlvynSpells 2.3 has this error when trying to install the new spells, with or without the powerful ones. EEex is present earlier in the install.

ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 314 of 314-byte file IWWI090.SPL
    ERROR: [IWWI090.SPL] -> [override/IWWI090.SPL] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("IWWI090.SPL: read out of bounds"))
    Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [New spells -> Add all the new spells to the game, including the really powerful spells], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 6184 files for [MESPELLS/MESPELLS.TP2] component 1000.
    Uninstalled 6184 files for [MESPELLS/MESPELLS.TP2] component 1000.
    ERROR: Failure("IWWI090.SPL: read out of bounds")
    @Endarire
    Endarire wrote: »
    OlvynSpells 2.3 has this error when trying to install the new spells & powerful ones. EEex is present earlier in the install.

ERROR: illegal 2-byte read from offset 314 of 314-byte file IWWI090.SPL
    ERROR: [IWWI090.SPL] -> [override/IWWI090.SPL] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("IWWI090.SPL: read out of bounds"))

ERROR Installing [New spells -> Add all the new spells to the game, including the really powerful spells], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 6184 files for [MESPELLS/MESPELLS.TP2] component 1000.
    Uninstalled 6184 files for [MESPELLS/MESPELLS.TP2] component 1000.
    ERROR: Failure("IWWI090.SPL: read out of bounds")

Could you post the file called SETUP-MESPELLS.DEBUG here (put it in a zip and post the zip)? It should be in your game folder. I need to know where in the installation that error is happening. Also, show me your WeiDU.log. I need to know what mods you have installed; IWWI090.spl is not a spell that exists in any of the games.
    Here. (Ignore the 5E Casting log. That's for another mod I was testing.)

Also, Detect Magic had no icon for my Sor when choosing spells on Dragonspear UI.
  • Maick90Maick90 Member Posts: 52
    Some spells have broken names and descriptions
    @Maick90

The spells that don't have descriptions in those screenshots were not added by this mod. I'm pretty sure that is not this mod's fault.
    How fares full 2.6 update progress?

Thankee!
    @Endarire
    How fares full 2.6 update progress?

Thankee!

I'm still waiting for EEex to reimplement the hook to opcode 280 (trigger wild surge on spell cast) which allows you to set it to always trigger a specific wild surge while suppressing the wild surge graphics and message.
    Thankee!
    For those who want to use the full OlvynSpells 2.2.x for 2.5, may we get that as a separate GitHub release?

Thankee!
    @Endarire
    For those who want to use the full OlvynSpells 2.2.x for 2.5, may we get that as a separate GitHub release?

Thankee!

The latest version compatible with the old EEex can be downloaded here.

Though that version only has a small number of features that the current version does not have.
    edited March 2023
    I can confirm jump wasn't working for me on OlvynSpells 2.3. EEex 0.9.1.19 was installed first, as was EET. I tested this spell on the outside of High Hedge and got similar results to the video above. Testing other mobility spells from this mod like linked portals, levitate, fly, ghostwalk, and teleport step seemingly worked as intended.

Displacement says its range is the visual range of the caster, but its target says it only targets the caster. D&D 3.5 treats displacement as a touch spell, and in our previous talks, you agreed with that notion. (At present, this mod's displacement is self-only.)

Here's a picture of mass sequencer's columns not aligning properly in the default spell selection UI. (No Spell Revisions.) Other spells that use columns like this likely also have this problem but I didn't check.

I cast levitate on my main character then fly on this same character. She tried casting a spell while flying and the spellcasting graphic was misaligned. Details. (Amusingly, it's possible to cast levitate on a dimensional chest, but it seemingly does nothing.)

A flying creature's dimension door graphic was misaligned. Details.

A flying creature's model that's more north (or up) than the top border of a map disappears, but the character's selection circle is in its normal place, but this character will sometimes flicker in and out of view when casting. (It did so for me when casting Mestil's acid breath but not create pit soon thereafter, without moving the character.) Intentional? Details.

A flying creature above a create pit spell effect loses visibility as if falling into the pit without falling into the pit. This seems wrong. Details.

If a flying creature is subjected to a graphical effect that emerges from the ground (stoneskin) or otherwise assumes the character model is immediately above the selection circle (shield, etc.) then the flying creature is still affected by these effects but the graphic looks like it's affecting nothing. All these graphical bugs are minor, but seem to have a root cause of not playing where the flying character's model is.

A flying creature who rests sometimes takes fall damage. Intentional? Seemingly not.

A flying creature has trouble interacting with a teleport circle. (Teleport Circle G - the purple one - wasn't working for me.) The character would land and dance around the center of the circle trying to find the trigger point with no success. (Teleporting from another circle to Circle G worked properly.)

It seems like teleport circle G (purple) was the only bugged one in that it would not bring up its dialog menu when talked to. The other 6 circles worked properly.

My test teleport circles disappeared after about 1 in-game day even though their description says their duration is permanent. I could warp to them by casting another teleport circle, but their graphic disappeared! (I had them all around the north edge of High Hedge's outside for testing.) Reloading the game seemingly restored the circles' graphics and previous functionality, but this was definitely wonky!

Teleport circle seemingly required refreshing the area to properly display its destination. For example, I placed Circle C on the Rocky Coast, but clicking on another circle showed its previous location (High Hedge) until I made another circle in Baldur's Gate.

Should recall party and teleport circle also work on summoned and gated and friendly mind controlled creatures? Doing so would make them more useful in general, especially with big groups!

When my Sor used pre-cast energy blades on an animate dead-produced skeleton with freeze inanimates active, the Sor threw some blades (4) then was unable to move I saved then reloaded the game. I was not able to reproduce this behavior after loading my game.

Freeze inanimates: Why can't I initiate dialog while this is active? I have no dialog icon (it's disabled), but my summons have one.

Ultimately, thank you again for making and releasing the mods you did! Our family also eagerly awaits the full 2.6 compatible OlvynSpells release! Alleluia!
    @Endarire
    I can confirm jump wasn't working for me on OlvynSpells 2.3. EEex 0.9.1.19 was installed first, as was EET. I tested this spell on the outside of High Hedge and got similar results to the video above. Testing other mobility spells from this mod like linked portals, levitate, fly, ghostwalk, and teleport step seemingly worked as intended.

Jump will work correctly in the next update.
    Displacement says its range is the visual range of the caster, but its target says it only targets the caster. D&D 3.5 treats displacement as a touch spell, and in our previous talks, you agreed with that notion. (At present, this mod's displacement is self-only.)

I will fix the description, but I do not remember agreeing that it should be able to target allies (if I did, I have reconsidered).
    Here's a picture of mass sequencer's columns not aligning properly in the default spell selection UI. (No Spell Revisions.) Other spells that use columns like this likely also have this problem but I didn't check.

I will try to align the columns better in the next update, but keep in mind that it will be impossible to align them perfectly for every font size.
    I cast levitate on my main character then fly on this same character. She tried casting a spell while flying and the spellcasting graphic was misaligned. Details. (Amusingly, it's possible to cast levitate on a dimensional chest, but it seemingly does nothing.)

A flying creature's dimension door graphic was misaligned. Details.

If a flying creature is subjected to a graphical effect that emerges from the ground (stoneskin) or otherwise assumes the character model is immediately above the selection circle (shield, etc.) then the flying creature is still affected by these effects but the graphic looks like it's affecting nothing. All these graphical bugs are minor, but seem to have a root cause of not playing where the flying character's model is.

These bugs would be very difficult to fix and it's probably not worth it. I would have to have code running constantly that looks through recently created visual effects, finds their source, checks if their source is flying, and adjusts their position to compensate. It's probably better just to get used to them being in the wrong place.
    A flying creature's model that's more north (or up) than the top border of a map disappears, but the character's selection circle is in its normal place, but this character will sometimes flicker in and out of view when casting. (It did so for me when casting Mestil's acid breath but not create pit soon thereafter, without moving the character.) Intentional?

Don't worry about it; how often are you going to be casting spells while at the very top of the map while flying? You wouldn't even be visible anyway if you didn't have the option enabled to add a pointless black area on each side of the map.
    A flying creature who rests sometimes takes fall damage. Intentional? Seemingly not.

I'll see if I can fix that.
    A flying creature has trouble interacting with a teleport circle. The character would land and dance around the center of the circle trying to find the trigger point with no success.

This will be fixed in the next update.
    It seems like teleport circle G (purple) was the only bugged one in that it would not bring up its dialog menu when talked to. The other 6 circles worked properly.

I just tested teleport circle G and it worked correctly.
    My test teleport circles disappeared after about 1 in-game day even though their description says their duration is permanent. I could warp to them by casting another teleport circle, but their graphic disappeared! (I had them all around the north edge of High Hedge's outside for testing.) Reloading the game seemingly restored the circles' graphics and previous functionality, but this was definitely wonky!

Teleport circle seemingly required refreshing the area to properly display its destination. For example, I placed Circle C on the Rocky Coast, but clicking on another circle showed its previous location (High Hedge) until I made another circle in Baldur's Gate.

I tested both of these and was unable reproduce either bug.
    Should recall party and teleport circle also work on summoned and gated and friendly mind controlled creatures? Doing so would make them more useful in general, especially with big groups!

No. It's not normal for summoned creatures to be able to transition between areas.
    When my Sor used pre-cast energy blades on an animate dead-produced skeleton with freeze inanimates active, the Sor threw some blades (4) then was unable to move I saved then reloaded the game. I was not able to reproduce this behavior after loading my game.

I cannot reproduce this.
    Freeze inanimates: Why can't I initiate dialog while this is active? I have no dialog icon (it's disabled), but my summons have one.

I do remember there are some bugs involving dialogue during time stop. I remember at one point playing through BG2 with a high-level sorcerer, and if I talked to Lassal on the lower floor of the vampire lair while time was stopped, Lassal would not appear in the room of blood and blades like he was supposed to, which would break the game. I'm not sure if that bug is applicable with Freeze Inanimates, but I'd prefer not to take chances here.

Summons can't talk anyway, so that doesn't matter.
    Perhaps I mistook your "yeah probably" regarding enlarge person for changing displacement to be accurate to 3.5. Apologies.

I know with redirect spell and Mass Spell, various personal only spells can be used on others.

Regardless, thankee! Alleluia!
    @Endarire
    I know with redirect spell and Mass Spell, various personal only spells can be used on others.

Those require you to use up higher-level spell slots. Redirecting Displacement requires a 3rd-level spell plus a 4th-level spell. Mass Displacement would require an 8th-level spell.

That being said, adding metamagic to the game actually powers up the party quite a bit. I made the metamagic component because some people wanted to try out metamagic, but even normal 3E metamagic provides a pretty big power boost to the party. For example, normally a level 10 mage would only do 10d6 damage with a 5th-level spell like Sunfire, but with metamagic, they could instead cast an empowered Fireball for 15d6 damage. Players who don't want to make their party too powerful should probably not install the metamagic component.

Side note: In general, people tend to overestimate the extent to which mods that add more powerful items increase the power of the party (unless those items are ridiculously overpowered like in Dark Horizons), and underestimate the extent to which adding more spells and abilities increases the power of the party. Even just adding the Icewind Dale spells to Baldur's Gate has a big effect on the party, because it adds the spells Emotion: Hope, and Emotion: Courage. Casting those two spells gives the party +3 to hit, +5 damage, and +2 saving throws for 5 minutes of real time, easily enough to clear multiple battles, after which you can rest and cast them again. To put that in perspective, imagine if you took a high-level BG1 party where all party members had +2 weapons, and you gave them all +5 weapons that did an extra +2 damage and gave them +2 saving throws, but with a minor drawback of requiring one party member to reserve two 4th-level spell slots. That is basically what adding Emotion: Hope and Emotion: Courage to the game does to the party.
    edited March 2023
    Thanks for that perspective!

I agree that higher level spell slots or/and extra spells prepared/known is potentially a significant investment to give a party mate stoneskin or mirror image. When I played IWD many years ago, I felt like the new spells shoulda been added to the BG series so they weren't "trapped" in IWD.

I noticed that the fly spell I mentioned so often in a recent post is powerful on its own as an anti-melee spell as well as an a sort of arcane freedom of movement if cast preemptively.

Maybe it's because I've played casters so long - and BG was the game to make me realize that arcane casters > others - to realize that a spell or few may be a convenience or a massive power difference! Still, sometimes the extremes are fun. Just having the options of OlvynSpells and other mods makes the game feel more complete, like I'm able to finally use those things I read about in books for many years!
    edited March 2023
    Did OlvynSpells prevent me from learning haste as a level 3 Sor spell? I didn't see it on the list of spells to learn.

(Maybe Dragonspear UI is interfering. Hmm.)

DAWAP's kits were the problem. My apologies.

I expected teleport circle to allow a different set of teleport beacons per character. May we still get this? (I'm unsure what the tech specs on it would be.)

Thankee!
    Post edited by Endarire on
    edited March 2023
    Check OlvynSpells for whether it affects the school string of horror.
    z4mhbdtpqk4r.png
    I tested it and phantasmal killer can be cast by Sors. Intentional?
    @Endarire
    I tested it and phantasmal killer can be cast by Sors. Intentional?

Um, yes, that's intentional.

Phantasmal Killer's description says that "it can also be cast by Necromancers." It does not say that it can only be cast by Necromancers. The reason for that text is that normally Necromancers cannot learn illusion spells, but this particular illusion spell is an instant death spell that synergizes with necromancy spells that cause fear (namely the spell Terror in this mod, though I could potentially remove that spell from the mod and revert Horror to being a necromancy spell). I thought it was a fitting spell for Necromancers to learn. So I decided to make an exception where Necromancers could learn this particular illusion spell.
    Thankee. I misread that.

As for horror vs. terror, I trust your judgment.
  • HappyFunRunHappyFunRun Member Posts: 26
    Been playing around with this mod for a while now. :) But somehow - no matter how much I reinstall, the mod seems to interfere with some of my dialogue strings. Keep getting "Invalid-something-number" and cuts out some of my character's voice commands.

uqr4lgvxh9de.png
    Did you install DLCMerger as your absolutely first mod?
  • HappyFunRunHappyFunRun Member Posts: 26
    Yep. Used DLCMerger , then SCS, then additional mods that weren't a problem until I installed this mod.

Worth to mention is that it didn't cause any problem before the last update of EEex. I think it has something to do with some of the additional spells that didn't load with the last update and are now interfering with my dialouge.tlk. This was never an issue before.

Might go back to the previous one, but I'm missing out on cool spells! :(
    Install order matters a lot!

I recommend this for EET:
    DLCMerger
    <Pre EET Mods>
    EET Start
    UI Mods
    EEex
    Bubb's Spell Menu
    <Certain other mods>
    OlvynSpells
    SCS
    EET End
    <Certain other mods>
  • Viking8008Viking8008 Member Posts: 16
    edited April 2023
    Hi! So I played and here what I found:
    1) Enchanted weapon + 5 most of the time doesnt work. I had it on Archer and Werewolf and it says "weapon not effective" on foes like +4.
    2) Shout spell most of the time doesnt knock off foes as well as (sometimes) priest's Repulse.
    3) Power Word Silence - well, mb it is your HoF mod but some foes just ignore it or sometimes they somehow cast Vocolize. Both looks strange.
    4) Power Word Stun with HoW looks unusable cuz 90 hp is so small number for all that 100500 hp foes. Simply can't use it.
    5) Mordenkainen's Sword is the joke. Really. And almost 99% weapon that you can summon is the same. I think the solution is to make +10 and\or Acid\Electro\etc dmg type so you can use it sometimes against some foes.
    6) I like playing on HoF cuz it makes you think more but 99% magic the checks Saves are garbage, I am really suggesting making Curse stacks. Like Greate Malison.
    7) Tenser spell is weak too.

Also sorry for writing this here, but with your HoW I dont see a way to win the game with 6 fighters. Like it is impossible. (dont ask why anyone would :) )

Last, I want to thank you for this mod, it is a pleasure and a must have.

Edit: I forgot to add that Copy spell doenst work and add error in game chat.
    edited April 2023
    @Viking8008
    Viking8008 wrote: »
    Hi! So I played and here what I found:
    1) Enchanted weapon + 5 most of the time doesnt work. I had it on Archer and Werewolf and it says "weapon not effective" on foes like +4.
    2) Shout spell most of the time doesnt knock off foes as well as (sometimes) priest's Repulse.
    3) Power Word Silence - well, mb it is your HoF mod but some foes just ignore it or sometimes they somehow cast Vocolize. Both looks strange.
    4) Power Word Stun with HoW looks unusable cuz 90 hp is so small number for all that 100500 hp foes. Simply can't use it.
    5) Mordenkainen's Sword is the joke. Really. And almost 99% weapon that you can summon is the same. I think the solution is to make +10 and\or Acid\Electro\etc dmg type so you can use it sometimes against some foes.
    6) I like playing on HoF cuz it makes you think more but 99% magic the checks Saves are garbage, I am really suggesting making Curse stacks. Like Greate Malison.
    7) Tenser spell is weak too.

Also sorry for writing this here, but with your HoW I dont see a way to win the game with 6 fighters. Like it is impossible. (dont ask why anyone would :) )

Last, I want to thank you for this mod, it is a pleasure and a must have.

Edit: I forgot to add that Copy spell doenst work and add error in game chat.

Huh? OlvynSpells does not modify any of the spells you list there, and it does not add the IWD spells to the game.