Skip to content

BG2-Do you side with Bodhi or the Shadow Thieves?

Comments

• CribbianCribbian Member Posts: 19
    The lesser of two evils it is.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    I would never side with an organizations led by a woman...
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    ankheg said:

What a funny comment. How about an organization lead by a halfling?

ankheg said:

What a funny comment. How about an organization lead by a halfling?

Same I guess. But at least they are not evil bloodsucking parasites. :)
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    I prefer to side with Bodhi. For starters, it makes the game more interesting and unique. Also, it gives you a chance to destroy BOTH of the big evils plaguing Athkatla, since you're going to end up fighting Bodhi anyway. After all that the poor townsfolk have talked about being victimized by the Shadow Thieves, I feel compelled to free them from their grip.
    Arcalian
    Quartz said:

Shadow Thieves - "These guys aren't telling me everything, but they seem to be quite honest with delivering me to my eventual goal. I could use their help, unfortunately."
    Vampires - "Wow, these guys are completely treacherous, snake-like, and douchebags."

Gee, I wonder what any sane character is going to pick. Mind you, if your character is insane, then by all means side with the Vampires. I'm just explaining why I voted the way I did.

Your character also gets explicit warnings not to join the Shadow Thieves either, though - especially from the former Shadow Thief who lives upstairs in the Copper Coronet.
    SullaArcalian
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168
    Yep, lesser of two evils (Shadow Thieves), as I almost always play good-aligned characters.
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    I went with the thieves on my only complete run through, a half elf Blade. Seemed to fit the character.
    I'll have to try a darker character to side with Bodhi, or - one that sides with her as a double agent, to get closer up the food chain.
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    For the sake of roleplay, I've played this path the most, I tend to be a good aligned char, with low wisdom and intelligence. Alas those vamps keep fooling me ;) - oh and how charming they all are!!!
  • VedwintheTyrantVedwintheTyrant Member Posts: 50
    Can't argue with the awesome equipment you get from helping out the vamps.
    Mortianna
    To those who say they side with the Shadow Thieves purely because their PC is good aligned:

Wouldn't you agree that the tasks you perform for the thieves are actually MORE "evil" than the ones you do for Bodhi?
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    ankheg said:

Misogyny or gynophobia?

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    I'd say trolling.
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • NecroscopeNecroscope Member Posts: 38
    I like siding with the thieves, but if you side with the vamps. Knowing you're going to go back later and kill them, well you could say that that is the right way to go, you take out a vampire coven and a national crime cartel. That said you open up a major power vacuum for a lot of the other bad guys in Amn.

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Jalily said:

I'd say trolling.

Or just a douchebag.

SCARY_WIZARDSpiderQueen
    edited November 2012
    Misogyny or to be precise antifeminism.
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    It is said that spitting acid is the last resort of an ankheg :)
    ankhegSCARY_WIZARDSpiderQueenBlackraven
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    It's only effective if you're low level anyway :P
    [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Mornmagor
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2012
    As far as i know :

If you are a true class Thief, Bodhi doesn't accept you anyway.

Also, if you side with Bodhi while you have the stronghold with a multiclass thief, you lose it.

I think thieves can't do both unfortunetely, but you can do it with mods.
    Post edited by Mornmagor on
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    I don't know why, I like more to kill non sparkling vampires (they're the real tough guys), I guess I play way too much Castlevania.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Even if I was playing evil, there wasn't much incentive to side with Bodhi. Plus you know it would come back to bite you in the ass regardless of your alignment.
    Quartz
  • OperativeNLOperativeNL Member Posts: 146
    Maybe this makes me an incredible stupid or short-sighted person, but when I first had to make this choice I genuinly felt the vampires were the better choice. They appeared to be much more 'lawful' than the thieves, whom I didn't trusted. Bodhi was straight-to-the-point with me, and appeared honest. Perhaps because I am not that familiar with how vampires are percieved by the living, but somehow I wouldn't really CARE that they are evil, or that they are vampires. I don't discriminate. I kinda hate people anyway, so it doesn't matter that the thieves are human. To me this doesn't make them an automatic better choice than Bodhi.

I mean, I just saved a Drow from the stake not minutes before, not realizing how much of a bad thing this was supposed to be. The "yeah, so she's a drow, so what?"-innocence kinda carried over towards my attitude towards the Vampires.

I didn't see it coming that Bodhi would screw me over later, so I guess I'm just that dumb...
    Sulla
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I don't think I've ever played an "evil" BG2 game... In fact I only played evil once in a solo run through BG1. But anyway, no, I never felt inclined to side with Bodhi.
  • RavenXRavenX Member Posts: 86
    I can't really vote because it depends on what type of character I'm playing. I always play through multiple times. One "Evil" and one "Good", and then later one that's neutral.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Mornmagor said:

As far as i know :

If you are a true class Thief, Bodhi doesn't accept you anyway.

Also, if you side with Bodhi while you have the stronghold with a multiclass thief, you lose it.

I think thieves can't do both unfortunetely, but you can do it with mods.

Man I want to side with Bodhi for my current evil playthrough, but losing out on a stronghold kind of sucks (I'm a halfling thief). Yea I can mod the game, but its too bad she doesn't let you have your own stronghold. Even if, you know, the thief stronghold isn't great.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Well, my NE character sided with the vampires for pragmatic reasons - the team wasn't ready to face level-draining enemies yet - but as it turned out, doing that allowed me to destroy both the Shadow Thieves and Bodhi in the long run, so that all worked out for the best. :)
    Blackraven
  • GreedySadistGreedySadist Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2012
    I side with shadow thieves 'cause i prefer backstabbing scums instead of biting undead and 'cause my party member always tell how Bodhi creeps 'em out if i go to meet Bodhi
    And also 'cause Shadow Thieves don't kill koalas!
    Wolk
  • SullaSulla Member Posts: 72

Maybe this makes me an incredible stupid or short-sighted person, but when I first had to make this choice I genuinly felt the vampires were the better choice. They appeared to be much more 'lawful' than the thieves, whom I didn't trusted. Bodhi was straight-to-the-point with me, and appeared honest. Perhaps because I am not that familiar with how vampires are percieved by the living, but somehow I wouldn't really CARE that they are evil, or that they are vampires. I don't discriminate. I kinda hate people anyway, so it doesn't matter that the thieves are human. To me this doesn't make them an automatic better choice than Bodhi.

I mean, I just saved a Drow from the stake not minutes before, not realizing how much of a bad thing this was supposed to be. The "yeah, so she's a drow, so what?"-innocence kinda carried over towards my attitude towards the Vampires.

I didn't see it coming that Bodhi would screw me over later, so I guess I'm just that dumb...

I agree completely. The most insidious evil is tyranny wrapped in the clothing of goodness. The first time I played BG2 and saw Viconia being burned at the stake I immediately began massacring the crowd surrounding her (I usually webbed them, before they could run away) and gladly took the reputation hit. Siding with Bodhi was fun, subversive (I had no loyalty to Amn), and pragmatic. I wish I could join the vampires permanently and that there were more intelligent "evil" roleplaying opportunities, as opposed to the caricatures often presented in games and literature. Dragonlance did a series of books from the "evil" perspective years ago that was really well done.
    Blackraven