Skip to content

How to use custom portraits (BG1, BG:EE, BG2, BG2:EE, IWD, IWD:EE, IWD2)

Comments

• LordLeviathanLordLeviathan Member Posts: 97
    I still need help for my custom portrait.

I am running on window vista so I don't know how to adjust it correctly with this version of paint.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447

Nevermind, got it to work.

So, for custom sound sets, do we need to create a folder called "Sounds" in the same place we put our custom portraits and put the .wav files in there?

There's an existing folder in the install directory ("Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\") under "lang\en_us\sounds". Put the new sounds in there (there's also a handy txt file in that same folder if you get lost).
  • topymacijietopymacijie Member Posts: 30

Anyone know where the NPC portraits are located now? I'd like to replace a few of them.

I agree. Anybody know how to replace NPC portraits with updated versions?

Just place the new portrait with the same name as the NPC's original portrait into the Override folder (i.e. AJANTISL.bmp to replace Ajantis's large portrait).
    SableRhapsody
    Do i need to create the Override folder?
    Curmudgeon
    I just need help with my custom portrait.

can someone please help me with this?
    Hm. Yes, you probably do. (I've been using NearInfinity, which creates the folder for me.)
    Mmk. Where exactly must I create this folder?
    Put it in "Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\". That's where NearInfinity and any mods that require the override folder will put it. It's also where all of the game's actual data is stored, so any time you're making a change to how the game works, you'll be making it there.

The Documents folder is where your "local" content is stored: saved games, custom portraits, the baldur.ini file (which allows you to configure some special options), etc.

Note that the Black Pits has its own save folder (bpsave), too, to help keep things separate.
    Alesthes
    Can someone please help me, it's almost midnight and I still didn't play the game.

I just need help to know how to adjust the custom portrait to the right size but I don't know how with vista paint.

I just need help for this.
  • SableRhapsodySableRhapsody Member Posts: 38
    edited November 2012

I just need help to know how to adjust the custom portrait to the right size but I don't know how with vista paint.

I just need help for this.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Resize-a-picture-using-Paint

That's for Windows 7 I think, but it should work for Vista as well. You might not want to select maintain aspect ratio, though.
    Aosaw said:

Just place the new portrait with the same name as the NPC's original portrait into the Override folder (i.e. AJANTISL.bmp to replace Ajantis's large portrait).

Thanks for the tip. I'd like Dorn to look somewhat less...tusky ><
    edited November 2012
    @LordLeviathan
    Hm. Paint's difficult, because it doesn't use layers. I use Paint.net, which is free and easy to use (and has layers, which makes this a lot simpler in general).

Alright, let's see if I can get it to work. There's a couple ways to do it.

1) Open the desired image in Paint.

2) Figure out the vertical crop you want to use by utilizing the Select tool. IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE THAT THE LEFT AND TOP SIDES OF THE CROP ARE WHERE YOU WANT THE LEFT AND TOP EDGES OF THE IMAGE TO BE.

3) Click "Crop".

4) Click "Resize", select Pixels, and specify the vertical dimension, keeping the aspect ratio.

5) This next part's tricky. I recommend zooming in a bit to make sure you keep it accurate. Using the resizing square in the right-middle edge of the image itself, drag the right edge of the image to the left. You will notice, at the bottom of the window, the dimensions of the image in pixels; keep dragging the edge to the left until the first number (the horizontal dimension) is exactly 210 pixels, and then let it go. (This is why it's important to match the left and top edges at the beginning; Paint doesn't include these sizing tools on the left or top sides of the image, which is dumb but there it is.)

6) Save the image as a 24-bit Bit Map (bmp), and name it appropriately with the xxxxxxxL.bmp format described above.

Repeat these steps for each of the other two images, using the appropriate dimensions for each.

It's kind of a nightmare, and I still recommend using Paint.net instead, but it can be done.

As a special bonus, I've attached the resulting .bmp's for you to use in your own game (if you want), based on my avatar.

(download the attachments for usable versions) Enjoy!
    JalilyVindartenSilverstar
    well, it seem I have to go to bed and I didn't even play the game yet.

I don't know why they change the size of the portraits, all this complication to waste a day and pre-loading the game seem in the end to have being useless to me.

Well if they are still people caring tomorrow, I wish someone would tell how to do it.

If not one can help me, can someone at least work to adjust the ultimate portrait pack or only the section misc in it where I more likely find a portrait I like.

And Good night for this day wasted.
    Something else I just noticed:

If you place the portraits in the override folder to replace an NPC's existing portrait, it will actually replace that same portrait in the character creation portrait line-up!

So if you don't like a portrait at all and want to be able to choose your portrait without going into the custom portraits menu, just name the portrait something like "Woman2L.bmp" (etc.) and put it in the override folder, and suddenly you'll see your custom portrait in the line-up.
    Jalilykilroy_was_here
  • TiaxRulesAllTiaxRulesAll Member Posts: 198
    edited November 2012
    Nic_Mercy said:

I still don't see the custom button under the default portraits and I don't know why. I created a portraits folder in the correct location and added portraits of the correct format and dimensions

C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\portraits

files:

NICMERCY_L.bmp
    NICMERCY_M.bmp
    NICMERCY_S.bmp

I tried with and without the underscores in the file name. I don't know what else to try.

file name length is 1 to many letters long, no underscore.. needs to be 8 or less including L,M,S at end

EDIT: WAAY beat on that help response
    Dee
  • JariahxSynnJariahxSynn Member Posts: 67
    Power Ranger portrait here I come!!!
    Awesome. Thanks.
  • AvengingExileAvengingExile Member Posts: 33
    ...Yeah I'm having trouble here as well. I have created my portraits folder and add three pics (newelfL, newelfM, newelfS) and they are the correct sizes and saved as 24 bit .bmp. The names of the files show up in the custom portrait selector in the game, but the pictures do not. *pulls hair out* Okay... it's the first day, it's not a big deal... I'll just steal Jaheira's pic and let her use the crappy default... No! Jaheira! Don't hit me with the stick! I'm sorry! *whack!*
    ...it's very late...
  • R0GUER0GUE Member Posts: 27
    I'm having trouble with NPC portraits showing up. I made an override folder inside of the C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766 folder and put my 3 NIMOEN .bmp files in it, but she keeps showing up with the old portrait in game. Any thoughts?
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    edited November 2012
    @R0GUE
    Imoen's BG1EE portrait should be IMOENS.BMP IMOENM.BMP IMOENL.BMP
    Post edited by junk11 on
    R0GUE
    edited November 2012
    Aosaw said:

Thanks for the tip. I'd like Dorn to look somewhat less...tusky :)
  • AlesthesAlesthes Member Posts: 46
    junk11 said:

@R0GUE
    Imoen's BG1EE portrait should be IMOENS.BMP IMOENM.BMP IMOENL.BMP

I can also confirm as tested the (maybe obvious...) JaheiraS.BMP and ViconiaS.BMP
  • YosharianYosharian Member Posts: 67
    Kilivitz said:

Seems a few people were already asking about it, so here's how to make custom portraits show up in BG:EE

1) Go to your User(s) folder. You know, the one that has My Pictures, My Music and so on. Look for My Documents, then Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.

2) There you create a folder called Portraits (with a capital P), and that's where you placed your custom portraits. Mind that the dimensions are different now:

Large: 210x330 (not really necessary, so don't worry if you don't have it)
    Medium: 169x266
    Small: 54x84

Now you will notice that when choosing your portrait, a CUSTOM button appears right beneath the portrait you're currently seeing.

Also remember that file names cannot have spaces, need to be 8-chars long at maximum, and also require the letter S, M or L, according to their size. Ex;: xxxL.bmp, xxxM.bmp, xxxS.bmp

And yeah, they have to be bitmaps.

EDIT: I was ninja'ed by several people on other topic, so don't thank me! This is just for future reference.

Ahhh thanks for this info man, I was looking for this last night =p
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    edited November 2012
    Nope. Doesn't work.

I edited the files with GIMP, made them the size indicated in this thread, saved them as "Windows bitmap" BMP (which I guess is the 24-bit version).

The game DOES show a new "CUSTOM" button, and it DOES list my custom files, but when I select them it shows a blank screen (medium) and a question mark icon (small).

File names are KrayaL, KrayaM, KrayaS, ClericL, ClericM, ClericS, etc...

HELP?
    catfish
  • SoulafeinSoulafein Member Posts: 15
    edited November 2012
    Kilivitz said:

Seems a few people were already asking about it, so here's how to make custom portraits show up in BG:EE

1) Go to your User(s) folder. You know, the one that has My Pictures, My Music and so on. Look for My Documents, then Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.

2) There you create a folder called Portraits (with a capital P), and that's where you placed your custom portraits. Mind that the dimensions are different now:

Large: 210x330 (not really necessary, so don't worry if you don't have it)
    Medium: 169x266
    Small: 54x84

Now you will notice that when choosing your portrait, a CUSTOM button appears right beneath the portrait you're currently seeing.

Also remember that file names cannot have spaces, need to be 8-chars long at maximum, and also require the letter S, M or L, according to their size. Ex;: xxxL.bmp, xxxM.bmp, xxxS.bmp

And yeah, they have to be bitmaps.

EDIT: I was ninja'ed by several people on other topic, so don't thank me! This is just for future reference.

Need this info too, i don't care the other topic xDDD thx a lot!
  • Sese79Sese79 Member Posts: 478

well, it seem I have to go to bed and I didn't even play the game yet.
    ...all this complication to waste a day and pre-loading the game seem in the end to have being useless to me...
    And Good night for this day wasted.

Same for me, had to wait until 00:41 (CET) for download, then another 1 hour to find out why the Portraits are not working (Manual is a crap for this section). My wife couldn't wait for it. I was sad, shame on You! The Intro movie was a crap, there is the most important phrase missing (there are more bhaalspawns out there). :(
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Where does the large portrait come into play? I recall only being able to select a medium and small portrait.
    @Philhelm: The large portrait comes into play in the character creation screen on the right at the very beginning of the game. If you do not have one, the game just slots the medium portrait in there. To the best of my knowledge, the large portrait is never used again, so it's not a big deal.

• Aris4lifeAris4life Member Posts: 103
    edited November 2012
    can i use the custom portraits in multiplayer games too? so that my mates can see them?

@sese79 considering the story it might have spoilered the content a bit...so thats why they left it out i think.
  • TalarashaTalarasha Member Posts: 62

I edited the files with GIMP, made them the size indicated in this thread, saved them as "Windows bitmap" BMP (which I guess is the 24-bit version).
    HELP?

You guess wrong. GIMP default save is 32-bit, you must manually check the 24-bit radio button (there will be a window after you click "save").
    Raistlin82