Skip to content

Blackguard Kit Details!

123457»

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Xanthul said:

The only additional disadvantage that would make sense to me is being unable to use ranged weapons, Though crossbows could fit lore wise.

Eww. While I agree that it would make sense, I really would have zero usage for Dorn. Kagain is already a badass frontliner I don't need another.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Since the Blackguard is apparently a(n evil) paladin kit, does that mean they get the paladin's saving throw bonus? (that's probably my favorite advantage of the paladin).
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    I would assume they do, but we don't have any new extra info so far :/
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Also
    Mornmagor said:

I would assume they do, but we don't have any new extra info so far :/

Thanks.

I was also going to ask, does a Blackguard need to keep his rep low the way a paladin needs to keep his rep high... but I suppose that is unknown as well?
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited October 2012
    Unknown, but since the guy is a dark paladin, i would assume he needs to keep his rep below 15 for balance reasons.

Unless, they take into account the fact that he might want to "appear" as a hero, and then unleash hell upon the unsuspecting, in which case, not having a reputation need would make sense.

I assume the devs are still working on him(?), since they won't reveal his full details yet.

What i want to find out is however about his spellcasting ability, spells like doom, horror, animate dead, summon insects, larloch's drain and vampiric touch would serve his theme well, i guess he would lose access to healing and buffing spells though, since, at least in my eyes, the Blackguard is more about weakening his opponent, and through it becoming the winner.

But whatever, i just want to find out exactly what the guy does. There would be no need for questions then :p
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Mornmagor said:

Unless, they take into account the fact that he might want to "appear" as a hero, and then unleash hell upon the unsuspecting, in which case, not having a reputation need would make sense.

That would fit perfectly with a LE alignment - good reputation, work evil behind closed doors and leave no witnesses.

What i want to find out is however about his spellcasting ability, spells like doom, horror, animate dead, summon insects, larloch's drain and vampiric touch would serve his theme well, i guess he would lose access to healing and buffing spells though, since, at least in my eyes, the Blackguard is more about weakening his opponent, and through it becoming the winner.

But whatever, i just want to find out exactly what the guy does. There would be no need for questions then :p
    Agreed on both accounts.

• XanthulXanthul Member Posts: 57
    Mornmagor said:

That much is true for any evil NPC, not just for blackguards. Why should Edwin leave if you get a good reputation? Now that we have an inherently evil kit (well, a fully fleshed out one with likely Reputation restrictions, since we already had Cleric of Talos) all the flaws of the reputation system are going to come out stronger than ever.

Even though I never really tried it, the idea behind the "Virtue" mod made the most sense to me. One thing is what you do for / against your personal ethos, and another is the appearance that you want to keep for the general public. Class restrictions should work against Virtue based on your good / evil actions while Reputation should just be a personal choice of whether you want to be considered a hero or a villain.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Mornmagor said:

He could also become unable to use blunt weapons, or even better, unable to use healing spells, healing himself only through his ability, and larloch's minor drain/vampiric touch, aka necromancy spells from his book.

Actually, unable to use cure spells sounds pretty cool to me, no healing spells, but some necromancy ones to his spellbook.

Genius!
  • FatalFatal Member Posts: 54
    So what would be good stats to start off with? Human preferably.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Human preferably? Humans are the only ones who can become blackguards excluding dorn.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Fatal said:

So what would be good stats to start off with? Human preferably.

For the most part, just treat the Blackguard as any other Fighter or Paladin. I rolled until I got an 18 Strength and decent Con, and I've been doing all right with a rather low Dex. If you get into a particularly tough fight, activating Poison Weapon will murder just about everything by just hitting each enemy once.