Skip to content

Metal heads.

Comments

• Silver_MoonSilver_Moon Member Posts: 72
    i a big fan of rock and roll. Baroque and roll.
    Yigwie malmsteem unleash the fury!
    69 eyes - paris kills...

• Ruckus3Ruckus3 Member Posts: 73
    Anyone heard of Inside Out? It's de la Rocha's band before Rage.
  • Silver_MoonSilver_Moon Member Posts: 72
    Gieb nih di auf , its a single of RAGE, that i listened. It on german.
  • MadaeMadae Member Posts: 24
    My favorite metal is Dream Theater, Arch Enemy, Otep, and Apocalyptica. I like some older stuff like Metallica and Pantera, too. My favorite band is probably Tool, though, with Deftones coming in close behind.
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    I like girly metal ^_^ E.g. Rammstein, Leaves' Eyes, (early) Theatre of Tragedy, Iron Maiden and Apocalyptica. So folkish, prog, industrial and suchlike. (Your definition of "girly" may vary.)
    Those genres really don't sound too girly, but hell yeah.
    Moira
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    @Moira: I have to agree with @Ruckus3. I do not see anything especially feminine about those bands, ESPECIALLY with Rammstein.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Imperator said:

As I said in the Top 3 thread, my favorite band of all time is Korn. Been listening since '97, and I don't think I'll ever "grow out" of it, and why should I ? I'm not going to change my taste in music just because someone thinks that this-and-this band is meant for these-and-these people.

@Imperator You sir are awesome. :D
    Anduine said:

Disturbed, Soilwork, Disarmonia Mundi, Ravenface, Engel, and Slipknot before Corey Taylor went gay.

Whoopsie, I forgot about Disturbed didn't include them in my post. They're pretty legit.

And your "Slipknot before Corey Taylor went gay" comment cracked me up.
    Anduine
    @Imperator: I'm glad that I made you laugh, but I think I am more glad that you understood what I meant.
    Quartz
    Anduine said:

@Imperator: I'm glad that I made you laugh, but I think I am more glad that you understood what I meant.

Yeah, I get you. Slipknot changed pretty suddenly (mostly due to Corey Taylor), so of course that bothered people. While I do like their old stuff, personally I'm a pretty big fan of Vol. 3, which is probably crazy talk to you.
    @Quartz: Volume 3 is what I personally refer to as "the transition". I like a few songs of the track, but it's AFTER that to which I start to greatly dislike Slipknot. If you liked those as a whole, well...here's my response:

@Anduine

Self-Titled - Awesome. Pretty experimental, and when songs *weren't* experimental, they had the catchiness to make up for it.
    Iowa - Way too heavy for me. It's a pretty awesome album really, I've listened to it all the way through a few times, but yeah songs like People = Shit and especially Disasterpiece are too far for me.
    Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses - This one feels like the masterpiece to me. It takes you on a trip. Only song I dislike is Vermillion, it's kinda dumb + the guitar solo is downright painful on the ears.
    All Hope Is Gone - Gematria (The Killing Name) is incredible. Sulfur is pretty sweet. Psychosocial is pretty sweet. Dead Memories is alright, the music video was their best by far. After that, it goes downhill very, very fast.
  • IluvatarIluvatar Member Posts: 30
    It's funny how people in metal threads on non-metal specific fora are always talking about crappy mallcore acts like Slipknot, Disturbed, Otep, etc. These bands do not actually play metal, just modern rock.
    geselleRuckus3
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    @Iluvatar it's always been this way, and it won't change in near future.
    Iluvatar said:

It's funny how people in metal threads on non-metal specific fora are always talking about crappy mallcore acts like Slipknot, Disturbed, Otep, etc. These bands do not actually play metal, just modern rock.

"Heavy metal, nu metal, alternative metal" taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipknot_(band)

A: You might want to go and correct wikipedia if what you believe is true.

B: It's a shame that you do not like Disturbed or Slipknot, but I've learned long ago that perfection is impossible.
    Quartz
    Nu metal and alternative metal, are widely considered as NOT being metal.
    Sily
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    @Ruckus3 @Anduine
    I may have been joking a bit on the expense of those who think that the only relevant way to measure the greatness of metal is how heavy it is :) Not that heavy is bad. It just isn't enough (for me).

@geselle
    There's a lot of overlap in the subgenres. Some nu/alternative metal music has more "metal features" than other nu/alternative metal music. The question is, why is it important to decide what bands are metal enough?

I've run into this genre problem when classifying my music collection. In the end I started using a category called "heavy" where I have Rammstein, Korn, Faith No More, Velcra, Nightwish, Apocalyptica, Sonata Arctica, Theater of Tragedy etc. together in perfect harmony.
    Ruckus3Quartz
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    Well... for me my favorite band is Iron Maiden, I never get tired oftheir songs. And lately I recently found out a new band (for me xD) called Dissection. I was impressed by The Somberlain.
    Guys, who gives a shit if they like slipknot? Who cares if they don't consider your music "metal"? Don't turn this into a damn flame war over which genre is the most metal. Seriously, if you wanna argue over that make a debate thread or some shit, just keep it off here.
    On topic, I'm with ya Moira, if you think it's metal and sounds good, let us know. :)
    QuartzMoiraAristillius
  • sandorcleganesandorclegane Member Posts: 7
    meshuggah. devin townsend said we all copy meshuggah... and he was right,
    Ruckus3
    @Moira: I agree on the heavy part, to a point. I like heavy music, but I don't like the really heavy roaring/screaming, which is why bands like Soilwork and Disarmonia Mundi appeal to me. Parts of their music (generally the chorus) have melodic parts that I think work wonders with the death metal/techno-ish music. Example:

@Ruckus3: Who's flaming?
    Moira
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    LOL. "Metal heads" is my BG slang for "front line fighter wearing metal armor and a helmet."

Other than that, the only metal band I know is "Blind Guardian" from Europe. The only reason I know them, is because I enjoyed their music for Sacred 2.

"I'm bleeding, I'm fading, here in my final hour, when long lost memories...return. And a voice keeps calling, "All...dead and gone."

AnduineMoira
  • CzarnyCzarny Member Posts: 42
    Where do I start :D
    I'm a sucker for stoner and doom metal. Some of my favourites are Electric Wizard, Bongzilla, Old One, and my big #1, Acid Bath. Early Alabama Thunderpussy and Atomic Btichwax are also a treat.
    As far as sludge metal goes, you simply can't beat Crowbar :D So, so heavy. Eyehategod is also way up there.
    Always thought Fu Manchu and Orange Goblin were great, but some argue they are more rockish than metallish.
    And for a real treat, stick Kvelertak into YouTube - the boys from Norway are doing an amazing job.

Major props to the guy that said High on Fire, Matt Pike is great. As for Pantera, I like it, but I liked both Down and Superjoint Ritual more as far as Phil Anselmo's work goes.
    Anduine said:

Iluvatar said:

"Heavy metal, nu metal, alternative metal" taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipknot_(band)

A: You might want to go and correct wikipedia if what you believe is true.

B: It's a shame that you do not like Disturbed or Slipknot, but I've learned long ago that perfection is impossible.
    Nu metal is not a form of metal, the name is deceiving, I know, I didn't invent it. But there's really no musical similarity between actual metal (be it heavy, death, black, doom, whatever) and mallcore coined nu-metal.
    edited December 2012
    @geselle and @Iluvatar officially killed this thread. Good job making a good thread into a genre argument. I could've predicted that, just was wondering who the first douchebag would be.
    AnduineLordsDarkKnight185Aristillius
    @Quartz: Yeah, it's a shame. I do find it kind of odd that people would go out of their way to ruin a thread for others, but oh well. Atleast iluvatar isn't directly bashing the music that we like anymore.
    QuartzLordsDarkKnight185
    @moira ofcourse there are overlaps among different sub genres of metal and nu metal/alternative, but that doesn't change the fact, that nu metal, alternative and core are widely considered as not being metal, because either they are not rooted in metal or they don't fit into the music genre and scene in general.
    And yes it's getting increasingly difficult to differ various subgenres because they tend to borrow elements from one another, but the devil shall have my hide before I accept nu metal etc. as metal

Hell just ask some musicians that play in various metal bands, especially those that aren't that famous, most of them will agree that nu metal is not metal.

@imperator This is not genre fascism, genre fascism would mean one genre would claim superiority over other genres and refuse to borrow elements from other metal genres. But nu metal is commercialized, streamlined and comes from punk/crust and hip hop/rap, it embodies many things metal heads can't stand.
    And metal/hip hop relations are more than strained.

http://www.metal-archives.com There you can get an idea, what is considered metal and what not.

Btw. I don't mean to beat downy our personal taste or something, and usually i stay away from this topic.
    edited December 2012
    geselle said:

This is not genre fascism, genre fascism would mean one genre would claim superiority over other genres and refuse to borrow elements from other metal genres.

...That's exactly what you're doing.
    geselle said:

Btw. I don't mean to beat downy our personal taste or something, and usually i stay away from this topic.

HAH! Sure, okay.
    Anduine
    Quartz said:

geselle said:

This is not genre fascism, genre fascism would mean one genre would claim superiority over other genres and refuse to borrow elements from other metal genres.

...That's exactly what you're doing.
    Apparently you fail at comprehensive reading.