Skip to content

[BG:EE] PLEASE READ - LIST OF THINGS THAT CAN'T BE DONE.

Comments

• SaithMasuSaithMasu Member Posts: 17
    If the mods are still working with this new release and there are some major improvments that cant be done by modding communitys than i am really happy and everything is fine.
    Its time to let the cat out of its bag,...just to clear things up, cause what we know now is way too little for the shortly upcoming release Summer 2012.
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    @Saithmasu Trent actually talked about this on Twitter: Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

Can I say soon for and update on #bgee? Or have we overused that too much ;-) We hate the quiet as much as you. #thisquietcrapendssoon
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Well, TrentOster twitted today that news will be coming soon, so I'd give them a week or so to start posting new stuff.

AndreaColombo is just waiting for that news update.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @Tanthalas Yeah, I'm assuming that they'll be rolling out news within a week or so, but there are just so many new members and members joining the forum daily, I hate that the first thing that they see is a list of things that can't be done, I feel like a list of the things that are being done would really keep people from being disappointed by this. Like I said, if there's any interest I'd be glad to make a comprehensive list of things that are being done based strictly on things that Trent has said here and on Twitter, it wouldn't need to be official or anything but if it could be pinned right after this thread, it might help out a bit. I could easily have it up sometime within the next day (possibly less)... and then AndreaColombo's can just replace mine after the news comes out and he compiles it.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    The waiting is terrible. :(
    edited July 2012
    Coriander said:

The waiting is terrible. :(

indeed it is.
    @Tanthalas fair enough.
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    It was said that altering the text of already existing characters couldn't be done and thus romances with them wasn't possible. However is that entirely the case?

"Beamdog / Overhaul also face contractual limitations regarding the addition of new content to the existing games. They can build new content as "expansions", but they cannot add to the core content in the main title. This limitation is due to the contracts for the original source content and limit the devs from adding new conversation for existing characters to the main game. Hence, adding banters, inerjections and romances to the original cast of characters is unfortunately not feasible. They will interact with new NPCs and react to new situations and areas, but that's about it."

Would it not be possible then to alter the way you do the romance entirely? Instead of making it something that completely follows the characters around wherever they go, couldn't you make it more of a quest thing? Upon arriving in so and so area, couldn't you have a quest where you have to help miscellaneous character and in this quest they start to fall in love with you? Perhaps have it that the romances only occur in the newer regions of the map or something, like in a new specific town of significance to this npc? Like the place where they had their first kiss? Or maybe even a sacred pixie grove and magic love, be creative! Just throwing that out there. That and you could have banters for the new regions too, could you not?

And if there is going to be a new NPC, couldn't you have it perhaps be a character that you could romance? It would still be a vast improvement to have a second option for the females other than just Anomen. Don't get me wrong, he's not that bad a guy, it's just a shame to be so limited in options. Call me a hopeless romantic, but the romances have always been a big deal for me with these games, as they are usually quite an appeal for me.
  • SalkSalk Member Posts: 62
    edited July 2012
    What @AndreaColombo did was right and the timing was quite right too. Indeed, that list arrived too late, rather than too soon. In fact, people have been requesting and discussing features earlier which we now know can not be implemented.

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @Salk - I agree with you. Ever since BG:EE was announced, I have been following its every development via Twitter, the Beamdog official forum, and Reddit. Whenever a limitation was announced, I automatically took for granted that every other user interested in BG:EE would know it and adjust their wish list accordingly. Then this forum was created, and I found myself posting "This cannot be done because blah blah blah" for several times. That's when I realized most people probably didn't know about the limitations, and something needed to be done about it.
    edited July 2012
    "1. Altering the dialog of the old joinable characters

-We can't do this

I know its sounds bad if i keep repeating myself, but i go through the list 1 by 1 now and maybe someone has an answer for it.
    The BG1 NPC Project shows clearly that expanding new dialog IS possible. It is. Its a fact.

Proof: http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg1npc/index.php

2. Altering the dialog of encounterable npc's in the campaign, including minor ones

-small scale text only changes are possible.

Same goes for this one. You can alter them in any way you want even if the text and options are 1000 pages long, it doesent matter.

3. Adding new encounters to the old maps

-possible

Why possible? It is a fact that it can be done. There are hundreds of modifications that proof that fact.

4. Relocating encounters on the old maps

-possible, but at risk of introducing bugs

Adding new encounters and relocating them is for a programer almost the same.
    The BG1 NPC Project has the option, that you encounter commerades on old or on new places, its your choice. The new ones make more sense, thats why.
    To run into bugs has nothing to do if you can do it or not. Its a job of a programmer to locate them and get a fix for it, simple as that.

5. Retuning difficulty of old encounters, at the level of content rather than engine

-possible, again content tweaking risks adding bugs.

As i already mentioned, to retune the difficulty is a more difficult matter for any Mod.
    The only chance to make it more difficult is to make more monsters, more spells available ( for monsters) or get them more lifepoints...whatsoever.
    Beamdog has now the chance to reset the AI to make life more difficult for our heros, that would be a change that would make sense.

Proof:
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/bgqe/
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/scsii/

6. Adding/removing/moving gear in old encounters/npcs/containers.

-Again, possible, but adding risks adding bugs.

Still, bugs are normal, its about to fix them if the pop up, not to avoid the possiblity cause you fear bugs...

-> i know we still have to wait till the game comes out and then judge, but this things that are already denied are not understandable... everything in that list can be done, cause it has been done already.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2012
    SaithMasu said:

"1. Altering the dialog of the old joinable characters

-We can't do this

I know its sounds bad if i keep repeating myself, but i go through the list 1 by 1 now and maybe someone has an answer for it.
    The BG1 NPC Project shows clearly that expanding new dialog IS possible. It is. Its a fact.

Proof: http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg1npc/index.php

2. Altering the dialog of encounterable npc's in the campaign, including minor ones

-small scale text only changes are possible.

Same goes for this one. You can alter them in any way you want even if the text and options are 1000 pages long, it doesent matter.

3. Adding new encounters to the old maps

-possible

Why possible? It is a fact that it can be done. There are hundreds of modifications that proof that fact.

@SaithMasu if I understand you right, I think by saying "not possible" they mean not possible due to a contract limitation and not on the practical side. the list that you presented is under the title "2. Contractual limitations.
    " :)

Post edited by mch202 on
    @mch202 ok thx that clears things up.
  • BlightonBlighton Member Posts: 1
    Im wondering / worried about the part regarding the Origional Art being lost. Does that mean it wont look like the origional ? Can we have a screen ? As id like to see how close you are getting it to the origional
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Blighton

It'll look like the original. The problem with the original art assets being lost is that they aren't available to be re-rendered for BGEE. So its not so easy to improve the quality of the original art.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I'm really conflicted..... What exactly is going to enhanced, besides fixing the interface for touchscreens? We really need a screenshot or two ... ;)
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Some news, pretty interesting i might add.

From Trent's Twitter :

Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

@Solivagant Erephine has agreed to include the 1PP work into #bgee We're just trying to make it play nice with our setup.
    @Nathan
    Ok thank you for clearly answering my question.
    I Have to say that i understand the fact, that there is a thin line between adding too much Stuff at once to the Original Game and adding to less.
    Mods are great, they can alter the Game Experience in so many ways, nethertheless other people would prefer a different set of Modifications and so your right with everybodys individual choice of Mods.
    So your goal is to keep the Lore true, like we all experienced the Game our first time and add some Improvements that make sense without the feeling to overload it.
    Ok i can life with that.

@Mornmagor
    Thank you for that information, the 1PP Mod is a really good one, good to have Erephine on board.
    1pp included? Praise the gods!
    Yeah apparently, too bad it doesn't have a fix for human males in plate too :x, but oh well it's better than nothing :p
    As. Long as the thieves don't have those awful fanny packs I'm happy. The female mages of the original are also excellent.
    For those of us less experienced with the 1PP Mod... could somebody explain just a tiny summary of what it actually does in maybe a sentence or less?
    It basically replaced the bg2 paper dolls with the bg1 versions, also including race specific tweaks. So if you like the artwork from the original game more, this is very good news.
    Ahhh, excellent ^_^
    edited July 2012
    It also fixed some things with the actual in game avatars, like adding more armor for some females, fixing some missing pixels on certain animations etc.

By more armor i mean for example, chaimail for females was a miniskirt, well it adds leg armor too.

The interesting part was that Trent was actually answering to a guy that asked, what will fighters look like in BG:EE, like BG2 or BG1? I guess Trent's answer was about female ones since the males i think have some minor fixes, and not to plate armor. At least i can't remember something else, unless they fix something themselves, which i don't know about.
    Pfft, so basically the females actually look practical, rather than really fanservicey? xD