Skip to content

*IMPORTANT* Regarding Intel Hardware! Driver issues, slow game performance

Comments

• FloaterukFloateruk Member Posts: 4
    Found this tactic a couple of pages back. Running better than ever now. Now graphic glitches in any way. Great skills community:

Program Files (x86)\BeamDog\Games\00766\Baldur.exe set to:
    Properties > Compatibility
    - Run in compatibility mode for: Windows 95
    - Disable visual themes
    - Disable desktop composition
    - Disable display scaling on high DPI settings
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Can I highlight this program... Razor Game Booster. Very good a diagnosing problems and speeding up play by closing background programs.

Not fixed the game movies but really smoothed out normal play... The search continues...

http://www.razerzone.com
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    On the Intel G35 integrated graphics test system I have, the 'Graphics', 'OpenGL Version', '1', made the game completely playable, with zero lag. It plays no different than my primary system now.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    Still no luck. I've followed the suggestions and even though I can walk around relatively ok at times in game, the game slows down to a crawl if there is any magic present or there are water effects (and the movies are of course still unplayable). The game also occasionally freezes up for a minute or two when clicking on a menu option or traveling to another map.

What I want to know is do Overhaul have an idea of when there might be a fix to this? I mean right now we don't know anything other than "we're looking into it". I'd at least appreciate hearing when we can expect to hear something more on this issue.
  • zeraelzerael Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys,

I'm running the game on:
    - Intel Atom CPU N455 @ 1.66GHz
    - Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 (driver: 8.14.10.2117)
    - 1GB RAM
    - Windows 7 Starter (SP1)

What's made the game playable to some extent is as follows:
    - amending the .ini file as mentioned on page 1 (this helped solving the game crash at the very beginning)
    - setting graphic settings to 16bits (this reduced the lag significantly but not completely)

Now the game is far from fluent but playable (running about 2x slower than usual).
    Lag spikes occur during spell animations and from what I noticed the fountains animations in Candlekeep (didn't bother to play beyond 1st chapter ).
    Sometimes the lag increases without any particular reason what can be remedied by resetting the game.

I tried every single fix proposed in this thread (apart from installing custom drivers) but nothing else seemed to influence the gameplay in a significant way.

Hope you will find this useful while fixing the issue, keep it up:)
  • legopaidilegopaidi Member Posts: 6
    COMPLETELY RANDOM!
    (Intel G33 chipset w/ updated drivers and all the stuff being mentioned here in these forums)
    I modified the .ini file and the game didn't crash on start up (windowed mode). There was the lagging effect but it actually worked (though still unplayable).After I rebooted the game crashes over and over again on start up!
    I really hope this gets a fix soon or we all should be refunded!
  • cas206cas206 Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2012
    Toshiba Satellite A505
    Integrated Intel HD Core I3
    Current Intel driver (from Intel not Toshiba)
    Win 7 Home - 64 bit
    System Optimized with TuneUp Utilities 2012

All working. Performance is fine.
    (fingers crossed)

I was asked in a PM for more details for comparison to their gear, so I ran OpenGL Extensions Viewer 4.0.8 as suggested at . It shows:
    Processor: Intel Core i3 CPU M330 @ 2.13 GHz
    OpenGL Version 2.1
    Intel Driver Version: 8.15.10.2827 of 31-Jul-12
    Post edited by cas206 on
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    zerael said:

Hey guys,

I'm running the game on:
    - Intel Atom CPU N455 @ 1.66GHz
    - Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150 (driver: 8.14.10.2117)
    - 1GB RAM
    - Windows 7 Starter (SP1)

What's made the game playable to some extent is as follows:
    - amending the .ini file as mentioned on page 1 (this helped solving the game crash at the very beginning)
    - setting graphic settings to 16bits (this reduced the lag significantly but not completely)

Now the game is far from fluent but playable (running about 2x slower than usual).
    Lag spikes occur during spell animations and from what I noticed the fountains animations in Candlekeep (didn't bother to play beyond 1st chapter ).
    Sometimes the lag increases without any particular reason what can be remedied by resetting the game.

I tried every single fix proposed in this thread (apart from installing custom drivers) but nothing else seemed to influence the gameplay in a significant way.

Hope you will find this useful while fixing the issue, keep it up:)

I have almost the same specs that you have, the only difference is that I have Windows 7 Professional SP1 and I have the exactly same results as you have.
  • Tari_dTari_d Member Posts: 3
    I've made some of the recommended changes (compatibility mode, to ini file etc ) to try and address crippling lag but now instead the game screen is completely black. Dialogue still appeared and all the options for different screens on the left but I can't see my actual characters /the game world. Can anyone advise?
  • NoUseNoUse Member Posts: 6
    Necdilzor said:

zerael said:

Setting to 16 bits helped me too doubling performance speed. Still not enough anyway to play.

Running on:
    Intel core duo T5800 @ 2GHz
    4 GB RAM
    Vista SP2 32bit
    Intel GMA 4500MHD (7.15.10.1527 driver version)

By the way, setting to Windows 95 compatibility makes the game crashes at start up here.

Hope that helps.
  • sirchetsirchet Member Posts: 14
    I find it hard to believe that this is acceptable. This is not a free mod that you would be expected to work with to get it to run as you like, this is an advertised, well promoted and paid for product.

BG1 and BG2 run nicely on my Win7 64 bit machine, why can't this run? I can't even get it to start.

I don't personally buy the whole "there are many different configurations and we can't test them all" line, you do know of the major manufacturers of PC's, chip sets and mother boards.

Folks with very common configurations can't get the game to run.

I almost died when I read a developer post that it works fine on his MAC running a PC simulator.

This is a PC thread where folks that have paid you money are looking for answers, not to be told your MAC can run it.

Please fix these common issues or give us our money back.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    sirchet said:

I find it hard to believe that this is acceptable. This is not a free mod that you would be expected to work with to get it to run as you like, this is an advertised, well promoted and paid for product.

BG1 and BG2 run nicely on my Win7 64 bit machine, why can't this run? I can't even get it to start.

I don't personally buy the whole "there are many different configurations and we can't test them all" line, you do know of the major manufacturers of PC's, chip sets and mother boards.

Folks with very common configurations can't get the game to run.

I almost died when I read a developer post that it works fine on his MAC running a PC simulator.

This is a PC thread where folks that have paid you money are looking for answers, not to be told your MAC can run it.

Please fix these common issues or give us our money back.

The reason the old BG games run fine on your system is likely because they use DirectX, where BG:EE uses OpenGL.
    That is a necessity for this release, as it's designed to run on multiple systems and operating systems like Android, OSX and iOS as well as windows.

Don't know the configuration of you pc, but some intel chipset with integrated graphics don't have proper drivers for OpenGL, which is an oversight and/or neglect on intel's part, as OpenGL have been an accepted standard for many years now.

Beamdog is actively trying to find a solution for this, as intel hasn't shown any interest in improving their drivers. Many games won't work on these chipset.

Don't know if your pc is affected by this particular issue, but that may be why.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    edited December 2012
    I know this is for intel processors, but since there is no amd thread I will post here.

I have been playing since release with 0 lag, but now updated to 1.0.2009 there is serious lag, just from moving npcs around the screen, no heavy activity.

My specs:
    AMD C-50 processor, 1000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    2 GB ram
    Windows 7 64bit
    AMD Radeon HD 6250 GRaphics

Program Files (x86)\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\Baldur.exe set to:
    Properties > Compatibility
    - Run in compatibility mode for: Windows 95
    - Disable visual themes
    - Disable desktop composition
    - Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

Edit: OK, the lag issue disappears when I select the mouse hardware thingy option in the menu...doing this pre-patch gave me lag, but now it takes away lag...hmm. MY pre-patch save lags still, just not as bad. Starting a brand new game shows me 0 lag.
    Post edited by LordsDarkKnight185 on
    edited December 2012
    I'm not sure if this is related to the compression issue, but on my test system with the G35 integrated video, I noticed that baldur.exe was taking up almost 1800MB of ram (1.8GB). On my normal system it only takes up around 160MB.

* Edit * I explained more below
    Post edited by bigdogchris on
  • cyrus213cyrus213 Member Posts: 16
    Then how about i get my money back if you cant "promise" me any bug fixes. You guys make yourselves look no better than a pickpocket
  • ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64
    on the beamdog client, when you get the update ,it says on info intel chipsets not supported
    i did not realised this before, i saw it today when i donwloaded the new build
    i wonder if they are dropping the idea of fixing the lag on the game for such chipsets,
    since they posted that they got a buch of hardware with intel chipsets to work on them
    um.............
  • cyrus213cyrus213 Member Posts: 16
    The developers are simply covering their backs because the game was promoted to work on Windows systems. Now this OpenGL business is a ploy or excuse to talk ppl out of their money, beamdog needs to stop worrying about the releases on tablets and macs and start worrying about the Intel users since these users will be the bulk of the consumers. Like Diablo 3 this release will get major attention for FAILING to provide accurate bug fixes or support for paying customers. Blizzard had huge attention for their installer not working (which beamdog has issues with crashing, not installing ect.) which is a small bug in comparison to this massive glitch failure. So my advice is to these developers is to stop telling us we need to figure it out with Intel, and figure it out on their own and provide us with the fixes and support paying customers deserve or their entire company will flow down the tubes and be highly publisized as a poor company with low values or ethics. or of course, give us our hard earned money back..
  • PapastrumpfPapastrumpf Member Posts: 5
    Bytebrain said:

The reason the old BG games run fine on your system is likely because they use DirectX, where BG:EE uses OpenGL.
    That is a necessity for this release, as it's designed to run on multiple systems and operating systems like Android, OSX and iOS as well as windows.

Don't know the configuration of you pc, but some intel chipset with integrated graphics don't have proper drivers for OpenGL, which is an oversight and/or neglect on intel's part, as OpenGL have been an accepted standard for many years now.

Beamdog is actively trying to find a solution for this, as intel hasn't shown any interest in improving their drivers. Many games won't work on these chipset.

Don't know if your pc is affected by this particular issue, but that may be why.

Sort of. Original BG has a software renderer that works purely in 2D. This makes the game playable on variety of (Win) systems. Since there is no hardware acceleration, graphic card requirements are low and thus performance is good with modest processor/memory combo. On new machines it simply flies. But, you could also switch to 3D, hardware accelerated mode, for rendering certain effects (like spells, enviromental eye candy etc.). And here a good graphic card and especially good drivers play a greater part. Try to run BG in 3D mode with Intel graphic card and you will almost certainly get a lag and/or crash to desktop.

And this is the main issue with BGEE for Intel graphic chipset users. Beamdog decided to switch to 3D, completely hardware accelerated mode. As Bytebrain pointed out, they chose OpenGL 2.0 graphic library for multi-platform support. And most Intel graphic cards have bad OpenGL support, mostly due to abysmal drivers. For example, my GMA4500M with latest driver installed, on paper supports OpenGL 2.1, so in theory it should work, but it doesn't.

For the sake of politeness, I will simply say that Beamdog didn't have to actively "search" for solution as this issue should have been ironed out before public release or at least reported to players in more truthfull manner, instead of excuses that can be read these days, that are insult to intelligence.

Cheers
    cyrus213 said:

The developers are simply covering their backs because the game was promoted to work on Windows systems. Now this OpenGL business is a ploy or excuse to talk ppl out of their money, beamdog needs to stop worrying about the releases on tablets and macs and start worrying about the Intel users since these users will be the bulk of the consumers. Like Diablo 3 this release will get major attention for FAILING to provide accurate bug fixes or support for paying customers. Blizzard had huge attention for their installer not working (which beamdog has issues with crashing, not installing ect.) which is a small bug in comparison to this massive glitch failure. So my advice is to these developers is to stop telling us we need to figure it out with Intel, and figure it out on their own and provide us with the fixes and support paying customers deserve or their entire company will flow down the tubes and be highly publisized as a poor company with low values or ethics. or of course, give us our hard earned money back..

This whole project wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for the idea of playing the game on the iPad.
    That was the idea and dream that began in their imagination and subsequently grew to encompass both Android and Mac, as well of Windows.

The project was about bringing the game to multiple platforms, and that's what they're doing.

You seems to be under the misconception that BG:EE doesn't work with intel products.
    That's not true.
    There's a very limited range of integrated graphics chipsets from intel that doesn't play well with BG:EE, indeed doesn't work with many other games utilizing OpenGL.
    Unfortunately, that limited range was very popular for a couple of years, which is why there's a substantial user base having problems with the game.

Those people is NOT the majority of PC owners playing the game.
    Not even the majority of players with intel chips in their rig.
    There's many, many more that don't suffer from that particular issue, than people who are.

That doesn't comfort the people who owns the chipset of course, which is why Beamdog is working very hard to find a solution for the problem.
    That doesn't happen overnight, but seeing 2 patches already out one week after release, and many people who previously couldn't play the game, multiple bugs fixed, and feature wishes fulfilled, Beamdog certainly ought to have earned the trust in them from the majority here.
    A fix will be coming for the intel issue.

As for the Client and Launcher issues, some was fixed in the latest patch.
    Don't know if that fixes it for everybody yet, but there's been a fair number of people who have reported it did for them, at least.

Give Beamdog a break, if you calm down a bit, you ought to be able to see that they are doing everything humanly possible to make things right.

You have a right to be disappointed and even upset, but I don't think your issues will remain unsolved.

If you don't want to wait for a patch, I'm sure you'll get a re-fund, just write support@beamdog.com.
    ibitato said:

on the beamdog client, when you get the update ,it says on info intel chipsets not supported
    i did not realised this before, i saw it today when i donwloaded the new build
    i wonder if they are dropping the idea of fixing the lag on the game for such chipsets,
    since they posted that they got a buch of hardware with intel chipsets to work on them
    um.............

They'll continue working on the issue with those particular intel chips.

I would guess that writing that under unsupported hardware is the best way to prevent people with those chipsets buying the game until they've fixed the issue.
  • PapastrumpfPapastrumpf Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2012
    @Bytebrain

This whole project wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for the idea of playing the game on the iPad.
    That was the idea and dream that began in their imagination and subsequently grew to encompass both Android and Mac, as well of Windows.

The project was about bringing the game to multiple platforms, and that's what they're doing.
    True, main moving force behind this project was bringing BG to Unix and tablets (new markets). And this can be seen in multiple of ways.
    You seems to be under the misconception that BG:EE doesn't work with intel products.
    That's not true.
    There's a very limited range of integrated graphics chipsets from intel that doesn't play well with BG:EE, indeed doesn't work with many other games utilizing OpenGL.
    Unfortunately, that limited range was very popular for a couple of years, which is why there's a substantial user base having problems with the game.
    Not exactly true. The range is not that limited, as you say, and it certainly was not popular for a "couple of years" - if you check laptop specifications you will see that Intel reigns supreme in lower end graphic card market till this day.
    There's many, many more that don't suffer from that particular issue, than people who are.
    And I am not complaining about that.
    Minority didn't wish to postpone game, for a couple of months till this issue was resolved, at the expense of majority (especially since Christmas, the best time of the year to sell something, is coming) .
    But guess what? This is not a fan-made mod, or work in progress nor is it beta release. This is a piece of software that costs 20$ and it doesn't work! Imagine my suprise when I found out that BGEE doesn't work when BG+fan mods does. We are talking about a 14 years old game, not about Crysis.
    That doesn't comfort the people who owns the chipset of course, which is why Beamdog is working very hard to find a solution for the problem.
    Are you by any chance affiliated with Beamdog?
    That doesn't happen overnight, but seeing 2 patches already out one week after release, and many people who previously couldn't play the game, multiple bugs fixed, and feature wishes fulfilled, Beamdog certainly ought to have earned the trust in them from the majority here.
    Those 2 patches just show how this game was rushed to hit the "shelves" before Christmas. Beamdog doesn't have to search for solutions to Intel problem - all possible solutions are (and were) well known. Developers are simply calculating the cost-effectivness of resolving this issue. And this is my main complaint. Simply go out public and say "Well folks, we could not postpone the game for another couple of months because of 10% people who own Intel graphic chipsets. We [will/will not] solve this issue (in this-or that-amount of time)". And that is it - pure and simple. But no: Intel is guilty because it has bad drivers (as if you didn't know that), there are many different configurations and you couldn't test them all (oh, please..), or my personal favorite, you only had a laptop with Intel 3100 chipset to check this matter before hitting the wall (but that's ok, we can be guinea pigs and install modded drivers which cause BSOD).

Stop bothering people with "active search" and "working hard". We all do that for living.

Cheers
    Post edited by Papastrumpf on

@Bytebrain

True, main moving force behind this project was bringing BG to Unix and tablets (new markets). And this can be seen in multiple of ways.
    That's not true.
    Not exactly true. The range is not that limited, as you say, and it certainly was not popular for a "couple of years" - if you check laptop specifications you will see that Intel reigns supreme in lower end graphic card market till this day.
    And I am not complaining about that.
    Minority didn't wish to postpone game, for a couple of months till this issue was resolved, at the expense of majority (especially since Christmas, the best time of the year to sell something, is coming) .
    But guess what? This is not a fan-made mod, or work in progress nor is it beta release. This is a piece of software that costs 20$ and it doesn't work! Imagine my suprise when I found out that BGEE doesn't work when BG+fan mods does. We are talking about a 14 years old game, not about Crysis.
    Are you by any chance affiliated with Beamdog?
    Those 2 patches just show how this game was rushed to hit the shelves before Christmas. Beamdog doesn't have to search for solutions to Intel problem - all possible solutions are (and were) well known. Developers are simply calculating the cost-effectivness of resolving this issue. And this is my main complaint. Simply go out public and say "Well folks, we could not postpone the game for another couple of months because of 10% people who own Intel graphic chipsets. We [will/will not] solve this issue (in this-or that-amount of time)". And that is it - pure and simple. But no: Intel is guilty because it has bad drivers (as if you didn't know that), there are many different configurations and you couldn't test them all (oh, please..), or my personal favorite, you only had a laptop with Intel 3100 chipset to check this matter before hitting the wall (but that's ok, we can be guinea pigs and install modded drivers which cause BSOD).

Stop bothering people with "active search" and "working hard". We all do that for living.

Cheers

No, I'm not affiliated with Beamdog, but I do tend to read their posts here and on Twitter, and take their word for granted when they say they're doing what they can.
    The solution on the intel problem can't put the iPad release on the backburner, as i'm sure they have both contractual and economic obligations that they have to adhere to.

Also, although they're a small team, on a project like this, there's no use of 13 man working on the same parts, and they've already got someone working on the OpenGl driver issue for those chips, And people like you who are affected by this aren't the only concern they have moving forward.
    They're already delayed the iPad release, and as its all but ready for submission within a short while, there's absolutely no reason why they should delay further.

If this is the first time you've bought a game that have game breaking bugs or hardware incompability issues, you're either a new pc gamer, or a very lucky one.
    There's no use talking about blame back and forth, because that doesn't expedite the solution, in cases of these, the only option is to wait until they work it out, which they've promised they will, to the best of their ability.

That's the way I see it, and I promise I would even if I was one of those who couldn't play the game right now.
  • GomerZimpsonGomerZimpson Member Posts: 5
    Recil said:

'Program Options', 'Maximum Frame Rate', '60',

Off-topic:

In original (5CD) BG1, changing to this from '30', doubled the movement speed of ev'rybody / ev'rything. In this, it does nothing. I actually think that, ev'rybody is stuck on "walk" or "sneak", 'cause turning "find traps" or "hide in shadows" on, doesn't slow my thief at all. He walks and then he walks some more. And taking 'em off, doesn't make him any faster. It's like he never learnt, how to run (without boots of speed).

I kinda remember, doing putting those on, slowed down your character (= forced walk on) in BG1 and BG2.

AMD 64 3500+ = Don't think it's a driver or intel issue, sound more like bug...
    edited December 2012
    @Nathan Are you guys aware of this memory issue?

OK I did more testing on my extra G35 integrated Intel system system and found something....

V 2008: I start the game it uses around 110MB of memory. As soon as I minimize in from Windowed mode, the memory starts climbing up to 1,800MB and stops about there. The OS then hits the page file hard, which is expected. When I bring the window back up the game is blacked out.

V 2009: Same behavior.

I bet a lot of people are minimizing their game and getting this issue and not even realizing it's what is crippling their system.

Another thing I see is that BGEE.exe (the launcher) is not closing down either. I thought it was supposed to?

Photobucket

@Nathan Are you guys aware of this memory issue?

OK I did more testing on my extra G35 integrated Intel system system and found something....

V 2008: I start the game it uses around 110MB of memory. As soon as I minimize in from Windowed mode, the memory starts climbing up to 1,800MB and stops about there. The OS then hits the page file hard, which is expected. When I bring the window back up the game is blacked out.

V 2009: Same behavior.

I bet a lot of people are minimizing their game and getting this issue and not even realizing it's what is crippling their system.

Another thing I see is that BGEE.exe (the launcher) is not closing down either. I thought it was supposed to?

Photobucket

that's a memory leak right there , report this to them so they can check if it's their memory leak or drivers or somethign else
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    I have found a way to avoid game freeze (+system crash) every time I want to quit the game.
    1/ move from full screen to windowed-mode
    2/ using Task Manager, kill BG:EE.exe (the launcher) only and not Baldur.exe
    3/ on the bottom tool-bar, right-click "Close" on the game's icon

If I do this, no freeze, no PC crash and I can then re-launch the game and resume playing. This is what really made it playable for me.

Also Alt+tab does not freeze the game if I do it from the windowed-mode, but will freeze the game and cause a crash if I try it from the Full Screen mode.

What I still have not solved on my Intel chipset is
    A/ screen flickering. This happens when I pick some items only in my inventory (some type of armor, helmets, weapons - but not all, don't know why...). Everytime it happens, I kill the game and re-launch.
    B/ lagging. It is really bad when there are spell effects, otherwise playable.

That's great news for the people having these issues.
    Fantastic job. :)
    good news
    may the force be with us
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I love you TrentOster... I would put an @ in front of your name to make you read it, but the forum police said I should stop stalking you...

Great news people! A light at the end of the tunnel! Lets hope there isn't a cave in... Or, knowing baldur's gate very well story wise, a plug pulled before we get to the surface...

@bigdogchris I'm gonna check that out too on my system (intel gma 4500 hmd... Maybe this is another issue that needs addressing (maybe not)