Skip to content

Saerileth vs Chloe

ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
edited December 2012 in Off-Topic
I just got to find this out. Which one do you think is the worst, silliest, most ridiculous, laughable, story-invading Sue made for the game?

If you don't know these two then you haven't spent enough time amongst Baldur's Gate modding communities.
  1. Saerileth vs Chloe116 votes
    1. Saerileth
      53.45%
    2. Chloe
      14.66%
    3. Someone else. You think there is someone even worse out there? You got to tell us all about it!
      31.90%

Comments

• LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Picking 'someone else' mostly because I can't choose. They are both pretty terrible.
    DazzuButtercheese
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    edited December 2012
    Solaufein. Never played Saerileth though, but if shes that bad... Im tempted.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I vote for Sarevok
    LadyEibhilinRhettEudaemonium
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Neither
    XavioriaSCARY_WIZARD
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    Is Solaufein really so bad? I've heard some very mixed things about him-some people assert that he's one of the only modded NPCs to come anywhere near Bioware's quality, while others scorn him utterly. I'd really like someone to clear up what's up with him, both good and bad. (I don't have BG2 installed atm, otherwise I'd do it myself)

On topic, I've only tried Chloe, and that was for a joke with a friend. He played Saerileth, but neither of us got past Spellhold (we were trying to finish ToB >_>)
  • CzarnyCzarny Member Posts: 42
    Chloe was initially fun, but her stupidly overpowered stats and constant butting into conversation made me get rid of her pretty quickly. With her in group, I felt that the name of the game should be changed to Chloe's Gate 2: Shadows of Chloe, that's how attention whoring she was.

As for Saerileth... she's 15, man. Didn't even feel right to download her.
    CrevsDaakterzaeriansemiticgoddessEpicPain
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    edited December 2012
    How the hell is this off topic?! It's BG, it's pretty damn general IMHO.

Anyways, these are the two worst mods out there, BAR NONE, but I actually hate Saerileth's CREATORS because as people I've heard they're practically scum, whiny and childish. Tsujatha is like a beta script for Twilight with Necromancer elves instead of Vampires and their 'testimonials' are fake as hell.

I think what bothers me most is that even if Saerileth were 18+, she'd STILL be the worst mod out there because the age thing doesn't bother me; EVERYTHING ELSE DOES!

Solaufein has the advantage of being one of 'the first' but it's mostly hype that follows the fact that Wesley Weimer created WeiDU and revolutionized modding. Doesn't make his version of Sola any less power-gamey.
    terzaerian
    Somewhat right, but Sola is a bit of an overly flowery poet, pretty jarring a change from his voiced lines of haughtiness is a bit strange.

I'd say the 'ideally' shaped mod is Kelsey, who is as close to legitimately fitting in, most especially during SoA (things get strange towards the end of ToB.) Kelsey is never a focus point of the game but doesn't fade into obscurity.

Is he a GOOD mod, eh, he's soso, but his style is most 'fit in' persay.
    XavioriaSanctiferterzaerianVbibbi
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited December 2012
    Tome said:

Done some digging into the Solaufein debacle, and I think that if it weren't for his ridiculous gear and the overly difficult fights, it would actually be a pretty great mod.

this.

At one point Solaufein is kidnapped or something by Valen and then you have to fight him. He's like immune to everything and an undead vampire/lich/god ridiculous thing with 50 layers of magical protection. That sounds like most run of the mill things you run into in the game amirite? ridiculous. He becomes probably the hardest enemy in the game lol.

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Eh, I didn't mind the forced aspects of the mod. I downloaded, it's not like it was forced upon me. I enjoyed the dragon encounter in the hills and the good-aligned way to get to Spellhold, didn't particularly enjoy the return to Sigil but it earned nostalgia points with me. Plus, I'm not 100% sure it was part of this particular mod, but there was a fun extra encounter in Watcher's Keep, too.

I never heard about the draconian practices on their forums, that shines the mod in a poor light with me, too. Then again, I played the Saerileth mod when I was about sixteen, so I didn't pick up on some of the weirdness that other people keep talking about.

Maybe it was a flawed mod, but I at least enjoyed its robustness. Neera, by comparison, is hardly a blip on my radar.
    elminster
    I still can't see how this is off topic.
    SCARY_WIZARDterzaerian
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    Czarny said:
    Thank you, that was quite entertaining to read. Oh, those wonderful "Pretentious? Moi?" mods!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I like the Saerileth mod, not because it's a good mod, but because it makes a good laugh, if you know the mod is bad, and just try out what dialogue options get you further in the mod without getting very serious about it. In some instances, you have to be very pristine so as not to break the romance, and my CHARNAME goes with it with a 'well, I'm not like that but if it makes you happy' kind of way. And I just pretend she's not 15, because, eek, it would be awkard. But most of the time she acts more like an adult who knows what she wants, though in a very sheltered 'I don't let anything break my pristineness' sort of way.

I deliberately picked the Blackadder soundset to remind myself I shouldn't take this playthrough too seriously.

And I didn't vote, as I don't know Chloe.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    And I named the install 'Shadows of Saerileth' by the way. It's a fitting name.
    Both of them never SHUT UP!
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I just wanted to see the results.
    JalilySirK8Xavioria
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    edited December 2012
    I picked Saerileth because it's the only one I have played with - and it was horrifically bad.

Made worse by the fact that the mod authors do not like criticism of any kind, constructive or not lol.

EDIT:
    Some people have criticised the Nathaniel mod.

I have to say as someone who played it isn't that bad. Nowhere near the level of Saerileth, and Solaufein (which I also played).
    The content itself isn't terrible.

It is however rather buggy, prone to randomly breaking, and there are distinct pacing issues with the romance path itself.

I do agree however that Kelsey is probably the best NPC mod I have played.
    Post edited by ScotGaymer on
    SanctiferVbibbi
  • Smiling_ImpSmiling_Imp Member Posts: 24
    Meh.. Chloe is a bit overpowered, but her first dialog w/Minsc explaining how she is a lesbian and him not being able to grasp the concept is classic. Saerileth may be nitpicky about who she romances, but I have never been the smoochy type anyhow, and how can you not like a mod that adds Sigil to the game, forced or otherwise? Can't say I really dislike either of these two.
    The problem with topics relating to NPC mods is that a lot of NPC mods are a Your Mileage May Vary kind of thing.

Like for example I have seen quite a bit of vitrol directed towards the Nathaniel mod regarding the quality of its writing, its flirts, bug, and other things about it.
    And I personally feel that a lot (but not all) of those criticisms are unfair because those thing are not objectively bad. They might well be considered bad in a subjective way, but it varies from person to person.

And when people don't like something what they tend to do is cherry pick things relating to that thing they don't like out of context in order to support their own arguement.

Like in that thread - one guy was slagging the Nate mod for the "bad writing" and in order to support his arguement he posted screenshots of all the Player Initiated Dialogue flirts with Nathaniel. Most of which only become available in the latter part of the romance.
    And none of the flirts, and only some of the PIDs are available if you do not romance Nate.
    He did this with the implication that those flirts are available almost immediately, and you get romance content like Nate joining you in your bedroll from pretty much the beginning of the mod.

A classic example of cherry picking information to support his own dislike of the mod, for whatever reason, without any context to how or why those particular dialogues come up.
    On their own if you accepted this guys implication that Nate tries to crawl into your bed roll with your male CHARNAME from almost the start of the mod, and you can do things like "bathe with nathaniel" from the beginning also; then of course you would be like "wtf? this is TERRIBLE writing!"
    But that would be taking pretty much all of it entirely out of context.

That is not to say it is the best writing I have ever seen, or the best NPC mod I have ever come across. It isn't.
    There are definately areas to improve. But it isn't objectively bad.

However there ARE things about these kind of mods that you can say are objectively bad. If the creator fails at basic writing 101 for example.
    Plot holes, poor level design, poor quest design, mary sue-sim. And so on.

I don't know about Chloe sadly, but having played with Saerileth... I can actually say that as a mod it IS most definately OBJECTIVELY bad.

Don't believe me?

Go read the Baldur's Gate 2 let's play on the LP Archive. The LPer for that used the Saerileth mod in the LP, and showcases ALL the content for it.
    And hilariously points out pretty much every single reason that the mod is Objectively Bad; and IMO probably the single worst NPC mod out there for BG2.

Seriously, it's both funny and painful to read.
  • IcecreamtubIcecreamtub Member Posts: 547
    Isn't Saerilith that female Paladin? ._. Regardless if she is or not; I quite loved the picture and her unique name. Need to find her out if it's not Saerilith... Only mod I'd ever use :p
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 50
    And would you believe that someone made a Saerileth mod for Oblivion? And that it has 158 endorsements? Not sure if she dies of heartbreak in that one, though.
    SCARY_WIZARDterzaerian
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    Can only vote for Saerileth :( Maybe even that weird & odd (and stupid) Drow (good aligned?) Fighter, but it was just an experimental NPC-mod-campaign, which I got sick off very fast and dropped it. Mainly because of Saerileth (!) after hearing her blabla dialogs...and in all honesty; a 15-year old girl, who can barely lift a knife is made a shiney Paladin - I laughed so hard.

Though am currently tempted to try Beyond the Law with my BGEE char imported and for the mage maybe Tyris Flare. Edwin becomes unavailable with BTL and I really don't like Nalia.
    Dr_Atomic said:

And would you believe that someone made a Saerileth mod for Oblivion? And that it has 158 endorsements? Not sure if she dies of heartbreak in that one, though.

I actually have the mod creator for that on my friends list on MSN lol. And I have indeed had a conversation on the merits (or lackthereof) of the Saerileth mod.

One of the first things he did was make Saerileth older. Much older. And then he made her a bit more capable.

Sadly because of the BG2 mod I simply can't play the Ob version. But I do love his Viconia mod.

He assures me however that his version of the mod is much improved. And given how much I love both Viconia and Stoker I am inclined to believe him.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @valky
    Though am currently tempted to try Beyond the Law with my BGEE char imported and for the mage maybe Tyris Flare. Edwin becomes unavailable with BTL and I really don't like Nalia.
    BtL is quite enjoyable if you ignore the dialog the characters have with each other. The authors advertise it as 'long in-depth dialog'. Ummm... they were very young when they wrote it, so keep that in mind. For me, 'long' is about right, 'in-depth' is pseudo-philosophical musings going in circles, round and round and round, and result with supposed character growth. >_>
    But fishing trips are amusing, constant encounters are great, and the idea behind characters is interesting.