Skip to content

[GUI Mod] Archaic GUI for BG:EE

Comments

• ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    edited December 2012
    @Magevil Just to further clarify, I do agree that you shouldn't be trying to please everyone. This is your work so you should do what you enjoy. However, if the point of this work is for others to enjoy it as well, then feedback should obviously be taken into account (at your discretion).

To say that you should do only what you like seems to make it a bit pointless in terms of making it available for others and asking for their opinions. So, I agree with this:
    mlnevese said:

@Magevil Just do *not* try to please everyone. Do what YOU think is aesthetically beautiful and functional. You'll never be able to please everybody and working in something you don't personally like is a completely unnecessary self-punishment, in my opinion.

...only somewhat. Obviously this entire project is your prerogative and your unpaid work alone and you are free to do as you see fit; I just don't see the point of making something available to others and asking for their opinions if feedback is going to be disregarded ( @mlnevese I know you didn't specifically say to disregard feedback, I'm speaking in general here). If you're trying to make something that others will enjoy, then you should consider the constructive criticism of others and decide whether or not you agree (which, yes, is what it should ultimately come down to). Also, this is something that you are clearly doing, I just wanted to clear up my comments concerning people being adverse to a revised layout from my last post. I'm sure whatever you end up deciding on will look great :)

Once again, I love your work, hope this post is taken in the spirit it was intended, not to upset anyone just to mention my thoughts.
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    ^ What everyone else is saying. :)

The reason I've been providing feedback is because you asked for it; and I doubt any of us would do it if we felt negatively about the mod!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @jaysl6559 The problem is when feedback starts to become nitpicking... The way some comments are going soon we'd be seeing people complaining that some element in the UI should be moved 2 pixels to the left and changed to a lighter/darker shade that no human eye could possibly see the difference.

It has not happened yet, but soon someone will feel entitled to flame @Magevil because he didn't implement a suggestion.

The UI is @Magevil 's voluntary work and it should look how he likes. Giving an opinion on how you think it can be improved is OK. Demanding something to change isn't.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    mlnevese said:

It has not happened yet, but soon someone will feel entitled to flame @Magevil because he didn't implement a suggestion.

The UI is @Magevil 's voluntary work and it should look how he likes. Giving an opinion on how you think it can be improved is OK. Demanding something to change isn't.

@mlnevese I completely agree.
  • FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473
    Magevil said:

The one thing I know for sure is that the old BG UI for the inventory is cluttered and disorganized.

I would disagree on that and this is just feedback of my opinions. I still think you are doing a great work.

The old/standard one feels to me like a complete window
    1. There are things to fill the empty space
    2. The placement of slots and information is logical and not out of place
    3. Also the placement is such that it takes up more space then needed but that in turn makes it feel like the inventory screen doesn't have so much empty space.

Your new one.
    1. There is nothing between the boxes, I don't think it should be filled with art, it should be subtle design that makes the important parts stand out.
    2. The new design together with the lack of "filled" empty space makes it feel like 6 elements placed where there is room in a box.
    3. The compressed item slot layout, makes it harder on a glance see what is what. Also it results in more empty space.
    4. With all the dialogue normally at the bottom of the screen the pause window feels out of place up there.
  • nemeyethnemeyeth Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2012
    According the gui in high resolution. I discovered one problem that should be fixed:

Link: http://i49.tinypic.com/358yqf7.jpg

As you can see if you increase the height of the 'chat window' the ui moves with it. I do not know if thats only my problem or you guys have it too.
  • neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
    Freche said:

Magevil said:

The one thing I know for sure is that the old BG UI for the inventory is cluttered and disorganized.

I would disagree on that and this is just feedback of my opinions. I still think you are doing a great work.

The old/standard one feels to me like a complete window
    1. There are things to fill the empty space
    2. The placement of slots and information is logical and not out of place
    3. Also the placement is such that it takes up more space then needed but that in turn makes it feel like the inventory screen doesn't have so much empty space.

Your new one.
    1. There is nothing between the boxes, I don't think it should be filled with art, it should be subtle design that makes the important parts stand out.
    2. The new design together with the lack of "filled" empty space makes it feel like 6 elements placed where there is room in a box.
    3. The compressed item slot layout, makes it harder on a glance see what is what. Also it results in more empty space.
    4. With all the dialogue normally at the bottom of the screen the pause window feels out of place up there.
    It's quite a good analysis. But personally I tend to agree with @Magevil on the disorganized feel of the original inventory UI... I always felt like they put some boxes together for equipment and then filled the empty spaces with blocks and whatever they could to make the UI. Only thing I'm wondering right now is how the new inventory would look with some art behind, cause yeah, it feels a bit empty as it is now. Still better though but again, it's a matter of opinion and taste =)
  • CyphCyph Member Posts: 22
    Hi all,
    My apologies that my first post here has to be something like this...
    No matter what I do, I am unable to get this mod working. I've followed the simple instructions; there was no "override" directory so I created one. Extracted the mod files into there, started the game but the new GUI was not being used. Is there anything 'special' that I need to do?

Thanks in advance and good work Magevil :)
    Is your override correctly correctly placed in the 0076 folder ?

Did you extract all the files (and I mean the files .mos and .bam not the folders they are in) directly into the override ?

If all above are correctly done you shouldn't have any problems =/
    edited December 2012
    00766? Yep.
    All the files into the override directory? Yep (not the folders they are in).
    Dang.

Here's asking too much, may someone post up a pic of their directory structure and the contents? I spent hours trying to get it to work last night to no avail. Either something is borked or I'm doing something really wrong !
    here's my directory path and everything is in it, never had a problem :

C:\Games\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\Override

Well... that's EXACTLY my directory path as well. I'm at a loss.
    if you're on vista, try to set BG:EE to launch in administrator mode and windows xp SP2 compatibility... don't know if that will change anything but mine is set like that
    I'm using Windows 7 64bit... I'm fairly certain I tried administrator mode but I'll try again. Don't think I had XP SP2 compatibility set.
  • WabbitTwaksWabbitTwaks Member Posts: 54
    I have no trouble with the new GUI and I'm using Win 7 64 bit. Mine does not require a compatibility setting either. I just place the files in the override folder.
    Did you have to set anything else up? My override folder wasn't there by default (neither was 00766) so I just created them.
    The 00766 folder should be where the game is installed. You should not have had to create that.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Cyph a user of my simple xp cap remover had this problem. You should not have to create a 00766 folder. The override goes in the same folder as the movies, scripts and other folders are.
    Wherever your game is installed to, inside that there is a data\00766 folder. Create or look for the override folder in that.
  • nemeyethnemeyeth Member Posts: 42
    Try to download another gui and check if it is working properly. And something more - my path is like this:

F:\Games\Baldur's Gate\Override
    Interesting nemeyeth... do other people have different paths?
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    edited December 2012
    Inventory Design Concept 4:

This is my favorite design concept so far. The 3 pieces that I could move around are the necklace, belt and bracers. Whatcha think?
    Post edited by Archaic on
    I truly appreciate everyone's opinion - whether I agree with it or not. This mod was originally intended for myself and I thought it was good enough to share. When people started voicing how much they liked it I thought I could turn this into a community driven mod. Ultimately, yes my opinion matters most but don't get me wrong, I try to take in everyone opinion to find some sort of middle ground. Thank you for all your kind words and recognition! All good on my end. :)
    @Magevil
    That last concept is not bad at all. I could get used to that.
    edited December 2012
    @Cyph - I'm unsure if people have different install paths but I know some people have mentioned it before. When you get to the bottom of it please share your findings so we can help others. You may want to go to the support part of the forum and ask. To find your install path for BGEE right click on your BGEE shortcut icon and go to 'open file location' do you see a data folder? If you see a data folder what folders are within that folder? 00766?
    edited December 2012
    @WabbitTwaks - Glad to hear it! I think it offers the best of both worlds. Some of the old design while giving it a fresh and organized face lift.
    @nemeyeth - this is exactly how it is suppose to look my friend. this is due to the design functionality of the infinity engine and not to do with my mod.
    edited December 2012
    @Coriander - Do you know how to remove/disable a label from a .chu file? Whenever I remove a label it causes the game to crash on load. Thanks for your help.

Note: I did figure out if I make the dimensions 1x1 the item no longer displays. Not sure if this is the best way to do it though.
    edited December 2012
    Inventory Design Concept 5:

I like this one and number 4 so far...
This discussion has been closed.