Skip to content

Tales of the Underdark

Comments

• AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    @fitscotgaymer: Definitely more medieval, and the face is alright, though the hair and equipment are off. Sadly, I have no talent when it comes to drawing, painting, or graphic design.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    Lol.

It's Sheploo in Dragon Age wearing the Blood Dragon Armour.

A dude called Andrew Ryan drew it, part of a Dragon Effect series lol. He's on Deviant Art if anyone is interested.

Just fot it was amusing. :-)
    I'm curious why/where Commander Shepard earned the name "Sheploo". I see Shep, but where is "loo" from?
    Male Shepard's face was and is the model Mark Vanderloo.

So when referring to default MaleShep most folk say "Sheploo".
    Anduine

Male Shepard's face was and is the model Mark Vanderloo.

So when referring to default MaleShep most folk say "Sheploo".

I appreciate the clarification!
    Welcome. :-)
  • KnolandKnoland Member Posts: 206
    edited December 2012
    @Anduine I have no problem with a helm of Darkvision as it seems logical that anyone about to journey into the Underdark would most likely come prepared... Torches and light spells are also available to all player/characters.

Since this game allows for up to 3 random player/characters to join at any point I will go ahead and begin.

Player/Characters:

Tanthalas lvl 6
    Alignment: Chaotic Good
    Class: Sorcerer

Tharadin lvl 6
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    Class: Fighter/Cleric

Ebnar Bluemace lvl 6
    Alignment: Chaotic Neautral
    Class: Berserker

Demeisen Starkland lvl 6
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Class: Pure Thief
    Post edited by Knoland on
  • AshtoneAshtone Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2012
    ok as theres already a couple of front line guys, i'll try as a thief

Name:- Demeisen Starkland
    Race:- Human
    Height:- 5'10
    Weight:- 168
    Hair:- Dark brown going to grey hacked short
    Facial hair:- none

Class:- Pure Thief
    Religion:- pays respect to mask
    Alignment:- Chaotic Neutral

appearance:-

he has the appearance of a brigand, his clothing dark and travel worn, he wears a long and hooded cloak which is drawn up and shadowing his eyes. Under the cloak he wears an old set of studded leather armour, the metal studs blackened. his lower legs are covered by worn dark brown leggings and long black muddy boots

Personality...................

though he has a thuggish appearance, he is generally a quiet Individual and softly spoken.
    He has no respect for personal property, and obtaining gold is a large driving force in his life, he is greedy
    He (usually) has a strong sence of self presevation, he has a dry sence of humor.

Background.....................

Born an only child in the city of Trademeet; nation of Amn: Demeisen's early childhood was a relativly happy time for him as he remembers. He was born to a wealthy family, his father was a powerful man on the council of merchants and he had many buisness intrests in and beyond the city.
    However his profits were not always legaly won; Demeisen never learned what backroom deal led to his fathers murder and families ruin, his father had many rivals and enemies in and beyond trademeet, and took a knife in the back by the time Demeisen was twelve.

From then on the family assets were aggressively bought up by former buisness allies and rivals alike
    leaving the them destitute in a matter of months.

Using what little money as was left, his mother took him to the city of Athkatla in a hopeless attempt to start again

his mother commited suicide shortly after, unable to live in poverty and shame.

Demeisen spent the next four years in the gutters of the slum district, starving on a nightly basis, picking pockets and stealing what food he could to survive.

as life went on as it must, Demeisen discovered he had a talent for stealing and sneaking above and beyond that of his gutter running peers. Stealing became a new way of life, not just to survive, but to prosper and gain. life was good.

That is until the shadow theives guild took note of his independant opperations. they were impressed with his abilities and a generous offer was made to join them, for a modest cut of any profits he might make of course... and all the gold he had amassed outside of the guild naturally.
    Demesion refused the offer, and fled the city north out of Amn, spending the next few years wondering the towns and villages of the sword coast, eventually coming to the great city of Baldur's Gate.

Statistics...............

Strength:- 16

Dexterity:- 18

Constitution:- 15

Intellegence:- 14

Wisdom:- 10

Charisma:- 10

Equipment (weapons and armor)...................

Studded leather armour +1

Short Sword

Light Crossbow (discarded)

Light crossbow +1

Equipment (miscellaneous)....................

Tools of the trade (set of picks, small iron spikes for jamming trap mechinisms)

Dark brown calf length hooded cloak (lightly singed)

100 foot of thin gauge waxed Hessian rope

Unattached steel grapnel

Small shuttered lantern, full oil

Flint and steel with dried oak shavings wrapped in a rag

Small belt Knife

Small bed roll and blanket

Small dented steel water canteen

Enough dried rations for a week

Proficiencies................

one hand style *

Short Sword *

Crossbow *

Thief skills..................

Open locks:- 25

Find/Remove Traps:- 60

Pick Pockets:- 25

Move Silently:- 35

Hide in shadows:- 100

detect illusions:- 0

set traps:- 0

Detect Noise:- 15

Climb walls:- 60

Sorry if the bio is a bit weak, ive never written one before :P

ps:- not sure what my thief skill penalty is for wearing studded leather, so i haven't added it

Post edited by Ashtone on
    edited December 2012
    edited December 2012
    @Ashtone thank goodness we have a thief was going to be a painful journey ;) (Evil Laugh)
    hi all! oh dear, ill do my best to not step on too many traps :P

also i think i get 25 thief skills per level, but im not sure on dex bonus or armor penalty (i dont have a copy of BG atm)
    About those spells...?

About those spells...?

Yes?

About those spells...?

Sorry I have no problem with you selecting any allowable spells from your level range as a sorcerer if you would like me to post from the book I sure can I found my old copy of baldur's gate game manual.
    I did say I wasn't THAT familiar with DnD beyond the games. And I did ask for the DM to go ahead and select my spell list (aside from Knock and Identify) because I have none of the literature here, as I said.

*sigh*

Fine. Ill go and try and figure it out myself...
    edited December 2012
    I will be starting the game tonight so gather supplies and prepare your player/characters for the journey into the cave opening... The Underdark awaits.. I will begin with a short opening sequence and after I make my next post I will end the post with (DM) -turn end this gives all players a chance to take a turn say/do what ever you want however once you complete your turn type (player name) -turn end everyone gets one turn and the DM will calculate all actions and make decisions regarding rolls and I will roll for actions regarding a players response if you would like to challenge a decision regarding you or another player please send me a message. I will be fair but this is D&D and this game can be violent and brutal at times.

Also: I have saved everyone's profile on my computer and have drawn a complete map of this campaign and it looks very exciting I will continue to save items, gear and spells in your profile on my computer I suggest you do the same! -Luck
    edited December 2012
    Okay updated my Character post with my spells...

Which are:
    Level 1-
    Chromatic Orb, Identify, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil
    Level 2-
    Agannazar's Scorcher, Invisibility, Knock
    Level 3-
    FIREBALL!

*ahem*

Used the online BGEE manuals to figure it out.

EDIT:
    For my information are we using experience points? And what is my XP at level 6? And what XP do I get to level 7?
    So I can record it on my end on my char sheet. Maybe in my char post too.

Also what would my hitpoints for this level be?

EDIT2:
    Also can I put in requests for further equipment/inventory? Like rings/amulets/bracers etc? Or potions/scrolls?
    hi there,

same as fitscot/Tanthalas can you tell me what my hp would be?
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    time won't work out...sry...better now than once things have started, i guess
    edited December 2012
    just got home, Sorry about Spells, HP and such I will compile the data... ;)

Extra gear will need to be acquired in the game you may chose a helm, armor and weapon +1 quality.
    edited December 2012
    @Ashtone: Your health as a level 6 Rogue with a CON score of 15 = 42. You gain 7 HP per level. (1d6 + 1 from CON)

@fitscotgaymer: Neither Knoland or I were accusing you of anything or teasing you; all we sought was clarification, and I think you made solid spell choices. Anyhow:

Your health as a level 6 Sorcerer with a CON score of 12 = 24. You gain 4 HP per level. (1d4 + 0 from CON).
    edited December 2012
    Fighters, priests, rogues and wizards form the 4 basic groups of occupation. Each of the classes within these groups share the same hitdice with the other classes in the same group, the only exception to this rule being the Barbarian who has a D12 instead of a D10.
    The hitdie represents a die with n sides, where n is determined by the character's class (we will use group from now on, because there are only 4 basic groups whereas there are several classes. Do note however that the Barbarian is the only class that has a different hitdie, but the rules for warriors apply to this class as well).

The "independant" levels are the levels where you only get a small amount of hitpoints (1, 2 or 3 which only depends on the group, not on the character's constitution. The independant levels start at a specific level (10 for fighters and priests, 11 for wizards and rogues), however since this creates some confusion we will also be using the term "breakpoint". This is the point (between 2 levels) where a character stops gaining the normal set of hitpoints, but receives the smaller amount of HP (1, 2 or 3).
    Example: the breakpoint for a (single classed) ranger character (group of warriors) is the point where he's going to level 10, meaning he was level 9 and has just received enough experience points to go to level 10. He will gain 3 HP at this level up and every level up thereafter.

* Single class characters

The hitpoints of single class characters are quite easy to calculate, it is in fact the only type of character where nothing abnormal happens.

All groups of characters (fighter, priest, rogue, wizard) will gain hitpoints based on their respective hitdie.

Fighters have a D10 and their independant levels start at level 10 (which means the breakpoint occurs when going from L9 to L10). After the breakpoint they will only gain 3HP/level regardless of constitution.

Priests have a D8 and their independant levels also start at level 10, they will gain 2HP/level from then on regardless of constitution.

Rogues have a D6 and their independant levels start at level 11. After the breakpoint they will also gain 2HP/level regardless of constitution.

Wizards have a D4 and -just like rogues- their breakpoint occurs when going to level 11. After the breakpoint they will always gain 1HP/level regardless of constitution.

Now how does constitution fit into this? Well, constitution adds (or substracts) a small amount of HP to the total sum of hitpoints each level up. To make it less confusing (and usable for later), think of the bonus to the hitpoints as a bonus to your hitdie.
    Example: a fighter with a constitution of 18 will gain another 4HP each level up to the breakpoint. By leveling up from L8 to L9 this fighter will gain 10 hitpoints (from his D10 (warrior-group)) and another 4HP due to his 18 CON. So he will get a total amount of 14HP.
    Note that at the next level up this fighter will only get 3HP, because the independant levels of a fighter start at L10.
    A constitution of 15 will result in a +1 modifier for all classes. A constitution of 16 and above will result in a +2 modifier for all classes, except for warrior-classes. Only warriors benefit from a CON above 16. With a constitution of 17 they will gain 3HP each level up plus the hitpoints they receive from their die roll. A constitution of 18 for warriors will result in a +4 modifier. constitution of 19 is +5 modifier This table can be found in the manual.

* Dual-classed characters

Dual-classed characters follow the basic rules (written above) for each class. However they will not gain any hitpoints when their new class is not one level higher than their original class regardless of constitution modifiers. Once they regain their inactive class they will follow the basic rules for their new class only.
    Example: we will dual a mage (level 8 ) with a constitution of 17 into a fighter. When the mage has finally reached L8 he will have 48 hitpoints (8D4 + 8*2) or less (depending on the game difficulty). At that time we dual him to a fighter. The fighter gains new levels but will not gain any hitpoints until his level is higher than level 8. When the fighter finally receives enough experience points to go to level 9, he will regain the abilities from his inactive class and will also start gaining HP. When he levels from L8 to L9, he will receive a total amount of 13HP (1D10 from his warrior die roll and a bonus of 3HP from his constitution). At the next level up, he will only receive 3HP, because the HP breakpoint for warriors is before L10.

* Multi-classed characters

They are in fact the most difficult characters to calculate the hitpoints for. With no constitution modifiers the amount of HP is pretty normal (it differs by 1 sometimes), however once constitution modifiers enter the calculation, it gets pretty screwed up. Sometimes one of the classes will gain 6HP at one level up and 7 HP at the next. A certain logic I haven't discovered yet.

The day of exploration...

Its morning and everyone wakes with a wide eyed optimism with visions of treasure and riches. The entrance to the cave has some ancient Dwarven carvings in the old language which says "Ye Old Hole". This opening of the cave was once occupied by Dwarves for the mining of Silver Ore. As the adventurers enter into the cave they notice very old mining picks and shovels along with some iron torches.

The air is musty and footprints can be seen on the ground from recent visitors the tunnel ahead is long and dark but nothing unusual. As you look ahead you can see only one long path...

(DM) - Turn End
    OOC:
    Do you know if there is an XP chart or something online so we can keep track of our XP/Levels?

IC:
    As the group entered the cave entrance, Tanis stepped away from them slightly and peered cautiously around the cavern.

"Clearly this is no mere cave." He said a little redundantly as he stepped further into the cave, past the dwarven carvings, "Given those things I would guess this was the entrance to a Dwarven mine, abandoned long ago however. Not so surprising I suppose, given the number of clans that live in this part of Faerun."

He gave the air an experimental whiff.

"Something has disturbed the air here recently, though I know not what." The dark haired elf informed the party before finishing off somewhat sheepishly, "Makes me wish I knew some detection magic..."
    @fitscotgaymer I'll look into that for everyone I had planned on just generating one based on my experience with these games however the experience gained from actions such as killing enemies, performing tasks & doing good deeds is up to the DM.
    When any player character completes their turn indicate so by typing (name)- turn end
    edited December 2012
    Experience guide
    Here is a good site for info on Exp
    OOC:
    So my Sorc is starting at 40000 XP?
    Knoland
  • DreyyDreyy Member Posts: 118
    OOC: updated my char sheet with an image.

IC:
    Ebnar leans against the caves wall and glares up at the high ceiling, he observes several of the runic etchings embedeed in the wall. He runs a hand across the back of his neck and grunts.

"Hmph, shows what ye be knowing, no self respecting Dwarf 'abandons' anything! nay only reason for a mine like this be missing its kinsman is they all be driven off... or dead"

He bends down and lifts up a handfall of dirt which trickles from his grasp.

"Still from the weathered look of the carvings this done happened long ago, if the Dwarves that done lived here be so weak as to let some underground beastie get the better of em they are better off dead."

Ebnar angrily tosses the remaining dirt to the ground and claps his hands clean.
    Tanis blushed at the slight on his intelligence by the dwarven berserker.

"I never claimed to be an expert on the stout folk, Dwarf." He responded stiffly, "The study of other cultures wasn't something that was ever emphasised where I grew up."

The elf regarded the dwarf with narrowed eyes, "What I am good at, however, is setting things on fire." He said that as he wiggled the fingers on his right hand, causing a lick of flame to pass through them.

"Just point me in the direction of any 'underground beastie', and you can be sure it will die in a way that even you will find impressive." The Elf boy grinned sardonically.