Skip to content

Tales of the Underdark

Comments

• AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    edited December 2012
    Tharadin steps forward, lacking the tolerance for bickering.

"Both of you look at this the wrong way. This is a trial. Stop trying to figure out what happened; we will learn this on our way. Defeating enemies and overcoming obstacles while under pressure is a great test of endurance."

*gazes into the dark of the cavern passage before him*

"Much pain lies ahead. I shall strive to persevere...and if any of you have self-respect, you will too."
  • DreyyDreyy Member Posts: 118
    Chuckling under his breath Ebnar adjusts the axes attached to the hilt of his belt, grinding of the metal against his plate armor tinging off the caves walls.

"Aye i'll preserve alright, preserve all the treasures than done be lying deeper"

He hobbles up front pushing past Tharadin slightly nudging him off balance, he turns and looks at the both of them.

"If ye want be playing hero go right ahead, me? i got dibs on the treasure, being a goody goody guess ye dont be wanting your share, thats fine, means more for me!"

A cruel laugh bellows from the Dwarf. his eyes narrowing on Tanthalas.

"And ye boy barley look old enough to be out from your mothers skirt! Just try not to piss ye britches at the sight of ye own shadow... already got me own mewling welp to keep an eye on without ye crying for your mother to be coming to rescue ye"

Ebnar sighs and shakes his head before turning forward.

"Looks like i dont got my work cut out for me with these louts.."

He says in a tone loud enough for all to hear.
    edited December 2012
    "If you intend on stealing, Ebnar, you can fight me or leave now, because I will not tolerate that. You agreed to come here as a part of our group, as did Tanthalas here. Like one another or not, if we wish to succeed as a group, we must act as one. My only concern is that you may care more for crude lies and unwarranted insults than you do for protecting and persevering."

*steps forward*

Enough bickering. Let's go forward together, or we all go forward alone. Pick now.
    edited December 2012
    Ebnar growls under his breath, he thumbs the axes on his belt and glares coldy at Tharadin, after a few awkward moments he relaxes his hand and pulls it away from his axes.

"Aye have it your way, i got ye back... for now"

He adjusts his plate mail and puts on his helmet, his cold glare still visable through the visors.

"But i warn ye now, dont mistake why im ere, im ere for gold and treasure not fuzzy feelings! If i see a chance at riches im going for it and to hells with your morale standing!"

He nudges past Tharadin one more time return to his position at the rear of the group.

"Lead on oh 'holy one"
  • AshtoneAshtone Member Posts: 53
    edited December 2012
    demeisen chuckles quietly at the dwarfs exchange with the others as he approaches the entrance.

He takes a long look into the darkness and mutters quietly to himself

"this had better be worth it"

turning to Tharadin with a grin

"well im sure this will be a trial for you. Lead on then priest, and watch your step wont you"

Post edited by Ashtone on
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    edited December 2012
    IC:
    Tanis regarded both Tharadin and Ebnar with an expression of irritation that only a teenager - no matter the race - could possibly wear completely seriously.

"My mother died giving birth to me, dwarf!" He ground out, "I grew up on the streets of Luskan. I promise you that I am no dead weight."

Abruptly his expression changed to an insouciant one, as he focussed more on the Cleric, flashing quick look at Demeisen he spoke.

"I rather agree with the dwarf, Holy-One. Isn't that why we are all here? To loot the treasures of the Underdark, or rather steal them?" He asked mockingly, not liking the clerics take-charge attitude, "Or is that okay because they are mostly all evil?"

In true teenage fashion, he rolled his eyes, and then spoke again, gesturing at Ebnar.

"Perhaps our berserker friend should take point. If this place was built dwarves, he would be best placed to guide us." Tanis suggested, "Also his fearsome visage, and truely powerful breath is likely to drive away all our foes before any of the rest of us could so much as sneeze at them!"

OOC:
    Not trying to be difficult btw by continuing to be mocking and confrontational here. But Ebnar piqued Tanis' temper with the mother comment, and as mentioned before he doesn't react well to authority figures.
    *Raises an eyebrow at Tanis*

"Removing dangerous items from evil creatures is not theft, as they are only put here to test what is Good. However, I said that because I do not tolerate theft from any in my group. If I catch any of you stealing from one another, you will return the items and you will leave. This is the only warning I will give *any* of you. If you do not agree, you may wish to consider finding another group that allows such actions."

"If Ebnar wishes to lead, he may do so. I will only lead if it is the consensus or is a clear necessity."
  • KnolandKnoland Member Posts: 206
    As the new companions cautiously walk down the tunnel of the cave they see more footprints and nearing the end of the passage come across a old man sleeping on a chair near a small torch. Behind him looks to be a well of some sort with pulleys and ropes leading down.

As the group closes in around the old man he awakes and stands on his feet. The old man is holding a club of some sort and looks as if he has been badly beaten. He rubs his eyes a bit and let's out a loud yawn... " I see you found me He he he."

The old man introduces himself.. "Me name is Hanich I've been waiting here a long time now for someone to help me fetch some riches from this cave."

The old mans eyes fill up with glee as he brushes off his pants he looks at the adventurers...

(DM) turn end
    Tanis regarded Tharadin (OOC: I keep wanting to type Thranduil lol) with an affronted expression as they moved forward.

"Steal from my companions?" His voice communicated the affront, "I would never do that! That would be...wrong..."

He trailed off when they were suddenly confronted with a nutty old human cave dweller.

Blinking in surprise he can only gape a little.

"What?"
    Ebnar roars into laughter, he coldy smirks at Tharadin, scratching his beard as he does so.

"Hear that prince charming? them lot are ere for the same reason! But dont be worrying if we find any good loot i'll be sure to keep it away from yah, would hate for ye to break ye vows of chasity for some magic trinkets"

The Dwarf pushes his way past him taking a position at the head of the group. He turns and addresses Tanthalas waving his finger in his direction.

"Least the Elf be talking some sense, let a Dwarf lead in a Dwarven mine! By the hells there be hope for ye yet boy! wheither your all bluster in a real fight is still up for debate..."

He sarcasticly grins, he ponders for a moment, stroking his beard as he gazes into the void of the mine, finally he turns and looks a Demisen.

"You! you one of them trap finding rogues or all you good at his pinching pockets?"
    "Oh by the hells! who is this now!?"

Ebnar watches closley as the old man converses with the group.

"Leave him be! the old fool is clearly insane! let him rot in his pit!"
    *looks oddly at Ebnar*

"Vows of chastity? I am not a knight, nor am I a crusader. *thinks to self for a moment* Bah, I doubt you'd know the significant difference between anyone, so nevermind it."

*looks over at the old man*

"Greetings, Hanich. I am Tharadin. While we were not looking for you, we have certainly found you, as you say. Are you too looking for a group to enter this dark cavern?"

(Turn end)
    edited December 2012
    treading quietly behind his Bickering companions, Demesion jumps slightly at the bellowing dwarvish laughter.

He steps past his companions giving Tanis a gentle pat on the sholder

"he said his name is Hanich, and hes been waiting here for people. do try to pay attention"

Demesion glances suspiciously at the old man as he moves slowly round the perimeter of the room, checking the floor around the well and the well itself for any hidden pressure plates or tripwires that may be concealed.

glancing down at Ebnar "I can do both my unstable little friend"

(Turn end)
    Knoland
    edited December 2012
    IC:
    Tanis cast Demeisen an irritated look.

"I know that!" He responded waspishly, "I was just surprised. I mean what kind of person makes their home in an abandoned mine?"

He shook his head, "It's insane!"

He then threw up his hands, and sighed dramatically.

"Insane or not, I suppose the old coot might have some useful information for us." He said.

EDIT:
    OOC:
    Yeh Turn End
    Ebnar snorts at Demeisen's comment and takes a few steps forward to better overhear the old mans words.

"Treasure he says? hmm.."

The Dwarf rubs his chin thoughtfully, images of vast buried hoards of lost Dwarven gold and mithral flood through his head, of powerful magical items which could set him up for sometime. A grin creeps onto his face.

"Well lets hear what the old fool has to say...."

[Turn End]

OOC: so awkward trying to write work emails and keep a loose eye on this, i keep end up typing work dossiers here instead lol I was not meant for multitasking!
    edited December 2012
    As the adventurers take their turns responding to Hanich the old man takes his time to read their faces.. He then begins to tell them a story of how he came to find this place. He was an adventurer many years ago and prior to his retirement came across this cave with some companions.

His journey brought him riches beyond measure he told them but years of drinking and women all but left him broke. So while he was last in Baldur's Gate he had drawn up some maps of this place for a bit of coin and sold them to a merchant there. Then he spread word of this place before venturing back here in hopes of finding new "younger" helpers.

While scratching his chin and sizing up his new found help he asks them if they'd be interested in helping him? "Me old bones ain't what they used to be!"

Hanich asks the party to climb down the well using its platform/pulley system and to call back up to him once they have secured a lever at the bottom that will stabilize the load
    (DM) - turn end
    @ashtone there is no traps in this room...
    IC:
    Tanis suddenly felt guilty for calling the old man a loon.

He ambled over to the well and peered down to the bottom, thankful for his inborn elven infra/darkvision (in 2e it was infra in 3e on it was Dark), hoping to see the level the old man spoke of.

"You want us ALL to climb down this hole?" He asked, dubiously, "What load are you trying to secure the pulley system for? Yourself?"

OOC:
    So do I need to roll to see if my peering down the well is successful or not? Or will you do that?

Also. Think that's turn end i guess?
    Knoland
    @fitscotgaymer ability rolls will only be needed if action is required. I will tell you when you need to roll ;)
    @fitscotgaymer the well is far too deep to see down even with your elvish eyes.
    Demeisen stands back and listens to the old man intently, eyeing the savage bruising on him.

"an interesting story old man, we are most certainly interested in helping ourselves to whatever gold you have... found. tell me though, who has been beating you? was it recently?"
    OOC:
    Okay dokey.

IC:
    Tanis turned away from the well frustrated.

"It's too deep for me to see, maybe the Dwarf will have better luck." He said to his companions.

He regarded the old human.

"Well elder one?" He asked, "What is it you want exactly? I mean, there must be something specific you are after or you wouldn't have waited out here long as long as you have..."
    Ebnar stares at the old man, while he certeinly had the look of a man weathered from time there was something the Dwarf didnt trust, it was all to... convenient for his liking, his mind however is drawn back to thoughts of lost treasure, a pull which was entirly too hard to resist.

"Hmph something dont be smelling right ere, this old man makes my beard itch, but by all the hells if this old fool speaks the truth..."

Grumbling the Dwarf peers down the well, once he considered his eyesight one of his greatest boons however age had slowerly taken its toll, despite his best efforts the black foboding darkness didnt relent any of its secrets. Leaning down Ebnar picks up a stone a drops it down the well, he titlts his head and listens carefully after several moments he hears the sounds of the stone cracking of the ground below.

"I cant be seeing a damn thing! ... and thats a long drop..."

Turning he regards the old man

"Ye sure this is only way down old man? I nay be falling to my death when theres an easier route, sides..."

He tilts his head and looks at the well closely.

"Aint like Dwarves to place a well this close to surface, we tend to build deeper in incase we be under attack from the surface, Orcs and Goblins usually, them little blighters have a habit of poisining water sources to thin the herd."
    edited December 2012
    The old man stares at Tharadin... Waiting for his answer..
    The old man assures Demeisen he is fine his wounds are from a nasty fall before he came to this cave... And he assures everyone this is the only way to the treasure...
    Tanis alternates between looking at the old man and looking at the well.

"You said this is a pulley system? For people to get down safely?" He asked, "I suppose one us will have to climb down to secure it for the rest?"

He ran a hand through his hair.

"That would be me or Demeisen I guess..."
    Demeisen narrows his eyes slightly at the old mans story of nasty falls but nods to him all the same.

looking sidelong at Tanis, then leaning out to look down the well

"that would be an extremely dangerous climb, boy. I can barely see a thing down there, save what the light in this room shows up... it may be better to use the strength of our other companions to lower one of us down on the platform or rope to secure this pulley system"
    Ebnar grumbles and turns to look at the two.

"That'll be the Elf then, his the lightest by the looks of it, sides he can use his fancy sparkly lights to help him see in the dark"

The Dwarf lets out a cruel smile.

"Providing he aint afraid of the dark that is, all manner of nasty critters cling to the walls of places like this... ever heard of a Face Snatcher? It be a beastie that is black as night, waits for a foolish adventurer to wander too far in the dark and uses claws to tear their faces off n feast on their entrails, lost a comrade a decade ago to one... oh but dont worry, im sure its safe down there, all alone..."

The Dwarf laughs and folds him arms.
    Tanis gulped heavily.

"I...I should be okay. Growing up a street urchin you get used to climbing." He said in reply, "I am smaller and lighter than Demeisen, and I have my natural elven darkvision to help me see."

He casts a quick look at the aforementioned thief.

"But Demeisen is strong than me. Heavier too." He frowns, "There isn't much I can do about the underdark's native wildlife, we are going to encounter things like that... face snatcher... eventually."

He has a quick look around.

"A rope for you guys to lower me to the bottom would be best." He said, "But I might be able to climb..."
    edited December 2012
    demeisen folds his arms across his chest as Ebnar speaks, then lets out a soft snort of laughter at Tanis reaction.

"The dwarf has the right of it"

Demeisen looks to Tanis while removing a long, hessian rope from his pack

"boy, your the lightest here by some way, and you can see in that dark much better than i can, your the obvious choice here."

Demeisen hands one end to the elf with a mirthful grin.

"tie that round your waist, and we'll do a bit of face snatcher fishing"

Post edited by Ashtone on