Skip to content

What do you wish to see in DLCs to come?

Many people have said that BG is quite a complete game and there's nothing that can really be added to it. Even though, we know that we should expect some DLCs in the future that will add upon the game even more.

For me, I think that the best use for DLC is to add more kits to classes (sorcerer, barb, monk, maybe even wizard because other then wild mage there's nothing really special). Also, I guess that a good addition to the game can be a quest that will connect BG1 with BG2 showing what happend, how you came to be where you start at BG2 etc.

Another idea can be to add class specific quests. Nothing as grand as the ones in BG2, but it can still be nice. For exampe if you play a wizard, the one in High Edge become your mentor and each chapter of the game he sends you to a mission until he teaches you all that he knows. Also there's a lot going on with druids and shadow druids in BG1, they can tie it up with a druid PC.

What do you guys think? :)

Comments

• rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    As far as connecting the games, I think they're pretty simple as-is: You kill Sarevok and then Shadow Thieves ambush you, that's about it.

For DLC... More classes, or kits, would be cool. Like Soulknife!
  • KrypteiaKrypteia Member Posts: 50
    Class specific questlines would be nice.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I'd like a "vanilla mode" DLC, which features a UI similar to the old one, has the old animations and cinematics and removes all the stuff that was introduced in BG2 (such as split-up weapon proficiencies, kits, new spells such as the problematic "Find Familiar", new equipment and maybe even the new characters).

While I like BG:EE, it feels less like vanilla BG and more like "Baldur's Gate: Baldur's Gate 2 Edition". I understand that this was a way to pull the whole project off, and most likely the easiest. Still, I'd love it if there was an option to actually go "back to the roots", for those who just want to try the original. While the bugfixes and technical enhancements such as higher resolution should of course stay in such a version, the original just had a certain atmosphere that I feel BG:EE can't replicate at the moment.

I'd even suggest Beamdog go ahead and just put something like this in as added options for the game, but I understand that the changes are probably nothing that you can just knock out. That's why I would be okay with paying a little money for the possibility to re-play the actual Baldur's Gate, and not the Shadows of Amn crossover version.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    More areas and dungeons to explore!
  • SuperFeatureSuperFeature Member Posts: 35
    Unreasonable DLC Request?: Additional Quests/Story/Portraits for existing NPCs with reworked voices!
  • AllbrotherAllbrother Member Posts: 261
    More adventures
    And what's so grand about BG2's strongholds?
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    As mentioned in another thread, porting old goldbox games like EotB into mission pack style DLCs would be nice.
    Multiclassing overhauled to be more robust, allowing multiclass kitting, multiclass kits, and second class dualling into a kit.
    Sub-races.
    Now that someone's mentioned it, I'd be pretty interested in seeing the Wild Mage overhauled to bring more of its PnP capabilities into the game.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Actually, I'm not too keen on DLCs for BG:EE - I'd love to see many new areas, items and NPCs for BG II: EE instead.
  • NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    Most of the character option that they will add here will be part of BG2. So they kinda expand both games if they add to the first one. I think kits and sub races can be really awesome.

For monk they can have kits like the clerics have:
    Hinfist (halfling monks), Sunsoul, Darkmoon, etc'

Sorcerer can have different origins:
    Dragon blooded, Demon Blooded, Fey Blooded, etc'

Barbarians can be from different coltures:
    Uthgardt barbarian, Ice Troll Berserker, Chultan Barbarian

Wizards also need something cool. Wild mage is nice but the specialized kits are not really spacial. They can maybe add a Combat Mage, a mage which can't use some schools but can have light armor, and have an abilitiy once per day per x levels to reduce the casting time of his spells for few turns or something like that, maybe he will even have a bit more hp. Or infernalist, which have special abilities that summon demons (small at first but will become big at BG2 and ToB).
  • HugoRuneHugoRune Member Posts: 47
    I really only want new quests and areas, the more expansive the better, and perhaps a few new items and spells. I don't care at all for classes and kits, there are more than I ever going to play in the game already, anyway. Same with NPCs, they're too much hit and miss for me. I quite liked Neera but could've done without the munchkin half-orc or the weakling monk. I'd rather they expand the existing ones a bit but of course I know they can't do that.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I want new spells and some more shortie NPCs. That's definitley what I want the most. Subraces was already announced... on twitter or something, can't recall where but I believe it will be implimented somewhere in the future, so I'm not rushing that one. If they're going to be done, they should be done correctly.

Secondarily, I wouldn't mind some new areas, and quests. New items usually accompanies those, but I suppose not always... so that too. With new items though, I think I would want the more underrepresented items brought in better... like an axe that has some type of extra magical effect.

Tertiarily (if it's not a word, it should be), More kits. Someone prompted an interesting idea of a missle using thief who can backstab with a bow... it'd be interesting to see more kits implimented that cover different niches in different classes.
  • marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208
    edited December 2012
    Definitely *not* more kits.

The only DLCs I would like for BGEE and BG2EE will not happen. They would involve changes to existing dialog, plot and encounters to make both games superior in terms of storytelling. This will be the work of modders. Overhaul's agreement unfortunately stops them from improving both games on areas that it's a fair bet they would have loved to work on. Modders will do it.

What I'm trying to say is that the game needs storytelling improvements more than new kits and new areas, both of which I (and this is personal choice, of course) have no interest in. But if I have to speak of one DLC, then that would be... I dunno... a Voices DLC and a Faces DLC. There.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I'll repeat what I said in another thread. I'd like to explore what's inside the Gnoll Stronghold. I always felt there was a good story there that wasn't being told.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    @marfig aside from the kits thing, I couldn't agree more. However, I don't know if you've tried the bg1 NPC project, but that pretty much does what you want... To a degree anyways. I would love to see it upgraded for the enhanced edition
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited December 2012
    @Xavioria It's being worked on and the new beta of Weidu may help it come sooner than expected.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/9744/the-bg-npc-project
  • marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208
    edited December 2012
    That's excellent news @mlnevese. Thanks for the info.

I didn't know about it @Xaviora. It is indeed promising. It at least covers a large part of what I think is wrong with BG1/2. I'm assuming I can make my own changes to the mod, if I decide to go personal on it?

Meanwhile something needs to be done about certain encounters too and the actual plot. I'm currently studying BG modding in my spare time since this is one project I would really like to do. BGEE helped revive the Baldur's Gate modding community and this time I'd like to become a part of it. If no one comes with anything in the meantime, we shall see...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    A second story, unrelated to the bhaal spawn story, using the same areas but a different line up of recruitable NPCs.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    More joinable NPCs.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Michael24710Michael24710 Member Posts: 12
    Quests and areas - especially another town or city :)
  • egalor_originalegalor_original Member Posts: 92
    edited December 2012
    More side quests and locations please. The bigger the better.

And please don't do more PCs, arena fights, wallpapers or any as useless stuff.
  • SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    More spells :3
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Weapon sets, to aid weapon switching to bows etc. for dual-wielding and sword and shield types, would be nice...
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    I wouldn't mind an item pack (but only if they included new spells) but what I would really love is a full blown expansion pack set in vanilla areas but with a new storyline and a massive dungeon (with loads of floors and optional challenge battles). I much prefer exploring dungeons and interesting storylines to stuff like new kits and items.
  • GationGation Member Posts: 5
    Hard fights, new items, big dungeons.
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    I'd like to see "big" DLC. Micro-expansions (an armor set, a portrait pack) is the domain of mods. That's what mods excel at. What you don't often see in mods are big adventures or fleshed out NPC's. Sure, there are some mods out there, but this type of content requires a lot of effort and is rather rare.

So give me some big adventures taking place in new and beautiful areas. No Asian-mmo-style micro transactions please.
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    New items would be nice.
    More belts and gloves!
    More rings and necklaces!

But not too powerfull, like the regeneration ring or the infernal barrier belt...

Some stuff from the UB1 mod would be nice too :-)
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    I'd like to see a DLC that's basically a whole separate story much like the Black Pits is (but more of a story and less of a series of pit battles). There's no reason why this good old game engine cant tell a totally new story unrelated to the Bhaalspawn. Theres tons of art that can be reused or modified to make something new and the Sword Coast itself can be revisited in these new stories. What would really be cool though is to see different parts of the realms like Shadowdale and Cormyr or maybe the Anauroch Desert!

Whole new stories allow for more creative freedom and can be a place to add new npc's. There's just only so much you can keep cramming into the old BG stories. I myself find it difficult to include the 3 new npc's just because I'm always tempted to have the "canon" party. Even more added in BG2:EE will make it even harder to decide. New stories will be much more appealing than just adding a few quests, npcs or items to the same old same old. Let me be part of a whole new story and I'll gladly pay for it.