Skip to content

The topic for unhappiness/vent your sorrow

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Chow said:

Boy. I was going to just vent about how horribly my tabletop RPGs are going, with people having little to no time and we never getting to play anymore, but after reading about some of your problems, I think I'm just going to walk away, ashamed for even thinking of bringing my petty issues here.
    So, um... hang in there, guys. I know it's tough right now, but... yeah, I think I'll leave now.

If this point would've been brought up half a year ago, I'd write a whole essay on how much DM rage I could get in one session. Feel free to bitch and moan about whatever bugs you, this is the place for it. Plus, that might actually garner some schadefreude from us ;-)

Rationally, I think he's right on a lot of potions,

Damn right I'm on a lot of potions, though I probably shouldn't be while working. Makes the world a merrier place though.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Always good to see a man not afraid of using up his potions.
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    I get frightfully depressed when people can't spell "Schadenfreude". ;-)
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Drugar said:

Rationally, I think he's right on a lot of potions,

Damn right I'm on a lot of potions, though I probably shouldn't be while working. Makes the world a merrier place though.
    Damn, I really wrote that! I'm laughing to tears literally. I play too much BG apparently. Yet humor is a powerful antidote to depression, it's what my mother told the psychiatrist when we were evaluating the treatment: "we're glad he's got a lot of humor and we often make dark jokes about it".

Potion of jokes is sometimes even better than a Potion of anti-depressant.

Something positive for a change: despite being tired and down, I'm cooking a meal right now. With fresh vegetables (no, didn't buy them today, they're not that fresh, they were bought when I felt better).
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    edited January 2013
    Maybe it would help if some of you guys would ease up a bit to enjoy your life more, and, if things are really bothering you? Change them. Or be the one who is activily trying to change them. Women's rights didn't come from nowhere. People (women) pushed for that. Life just isn't fair and we all have to deal with it, but in my experience it helps more to make the best of it and execute your own moral agenda for the possible benefit of others, if you know what I mean. Being depressed sucks, or being too fat for example. But there are solutions for both problems. You are the only one responsible for your own hapiness (and once that's taking care of it's perhaps time to take care of others). Ah, well. Something like that is my philosophy anyway.

And, @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud, I've read some of your posts too. I don't know how hard it would be to accomplish, but you really need to get out of that house, based on your posts. I couldn't possibly live with my parents any more than you do (24) - they are still great people - but we all need to leave that nest some time.
    Inside the artist's studio.

http://www.davidshrigley.com
    edited January 2013
    @LukevanV: Yes, trying to change the things that bother me is what I do. Both in my personal life, by trying to live a lifestyle that takes the damage of our habits to our natural environment into account. And secondly, or maybe first, in my work. As I can't change the whole world, though I would want to, to make it a better place, I try to change the region I'm living in. I work hard to have the local authoraties take into account the needs of people with mental abilities and, wider, all people of my city living in poverty. And sometimes with succes
    - nice success for instance was being able - with help of backup from others - to get the city to raise of the income limits for the 'long term poverty benefit', which you can get if you're living in poverty for over 3 years, but due to a change in the amounts the people with a youthfully disabled-benefit were deprived of these extra €350,- once a year. I've spoken on their behalf and the city decided to enlarge the limits -
    Still, you can't just shake off a mental illness, it's something you have to learn to live with.

One of the means I try dealing with it, is taking enough time off from my work to be able to recover. I had a christmas holiday of three weeks, to recover from the exhaustion after organising a day about the quality of life and self-management for people with mental illnesses. We had the people themselves, nurses, psychiatrists, people from the local government etc. and it was a good day. I got a lot of compliments for voicing things well with my speech (I'm more vocal in daily life, here I do come for relaxation and my posts on fora tend to be shorter than I used to do on the freethinker-forum I was active on - too tiresome).

But then, you can spend a lot of time to better the world, it's taxing as well. 7 hours a week of work is the max I can handle mentally and after 3 weeks of vacation, I have a hard time getting started again. I think I started too quickly. I got knocked off balance easily today by HORSE's post, that sounds all too familiar to my own worries. I think it's time for the weekend to start, even though there's a newyears reception of a 'colleague organisation' (one dealing with people with physical disabilities, with whom we work close together). But maybe it's time for relaxation now, instead of more involvement with interest issues.
    edited January 2013
    Sorry, @Kitteh_on_a_Cloud, have been a bit too involved with my own worries to read all of your posts. But judging from what I've read, maybe it'll give you some fresh air to live on your own. It can even be helpful to know how to live on your own - gain some independence - before getting into a house with your boyfriend.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    @Anduine What is "celibate virgin"?
    @BaldursCat what is OH?
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, that's a good laugh. But actually, people should do good wherever and whenever they can. I have long dreamt, when I was a youth, of going over to some third world country to help, thinking big. I've also dreamt of travelling to India. But as even a journey to Amsterdam makes me really stressed (only one-and-a-half hour by train, but all the people there, impressions, signals) and I sometimes even have trouble to go to the city centre here, I just buy fair trade food, take into account the impact on the environment in third world countries of the things I buy here in the supermarket and make choices for the food that have the least impact on soil destruction, rainforest depletion etc. But for my daily life, just help people here. I'm a well-spoken mentally handicapped person here in Holland and I can do more for mentally handicapped people here in Holland, then for those in third world countries. Even though people here live in the first world, their poverty is only poverty in relation to the rich people over here and not the average people over there. And I know people here get mental health care while in many countries people get tied up in an empty room, chained to the wall by their ashamed relatives (people with mental illnesses are taboo from Indonesia, to Brasil, to Africa, I've heard first-hand from some students from there I lectured to). So people here have it bettter, but here is where I can make an impact and here is where I manage to stand relatively upright myself. No-one would be helped if I hop on a plane to Cameroon and fall into a deep depression or psychosis there.

Oops, I'm ranting a bit I guess. Talked to my parents, but the answers I got is that there's no answer to the question what's the meaning of life, why are we here, why is there soo much poverty, why are people so selfish. Just live with it and do something good here. Well, I'M TRYING. I just want something with the order of explanation like 42. I want an answer to the big questions of life, the universe and everything. But most of all, I want a world where people live in peace, with enough food in their bellies, satisfying lifes, time for each other, freedom from want, and I get totally crazed out by so many people not getting it. I was angry about Shell soiling up Nigeria 20 years ago, only now they're taken to court for it and I've heard the problem is half a century old and still nothing being done about it. Things like those make me really enraged. And wanting to quit life altogether.
    @Son_of_Imoen We need the Total Perspective Vortex, then everything will be fine.
    As for your second paragraph; I find that a "meaning of life" as something shared is a fiction. However, individually, everyone has it; whether it is self destruction, helping others, being the best wine taster you can be etc.
    I'm Dutch too by the way, @Son_of_Imoen, and I really like your attitude. :) What you are saying is what I meant with my somewhat blurry post. You just gotta work with what you've got and give it your best. It seems you are giving more of yourself for that purpose than most of us (like me, in fact). I didn't mean to downplay mental problems with my last point (by the way again), but giving up should never be an option.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    edited January 2013
    @Djimmy: Actually, that video wasn't funny at all. At least, to me it wasn't. It was rather a mocking message telling me I'm like a spoiled brat. Because you know, my family's got enough money, so I should automatically be happy for it and suffer no troubles or problems at all. But you know what? There's a reason the saying 'money doesn't make happy' exists. And it's totally true.

Earlier, I explained how I hate capitalism and how it gives a fake sense of happiness and satsifaction, while its focus is just on sucking enough money out of people's pockets. Even though I get a moderate allowance every month, this money doesn't make me happy. Because I have mental problems no money could ever heal. I live in a family which is put heavily under stress most of the times. It's easy to set a fire alight in our house. It's easy to make someone cry and let a situation get out of control. And up to today I am wondering why and what could be the cause for this. Because I have no clue. For some reason, there are these invisible tensions floating around the house and I just can't put my finger on them, figuratively speaking. I think that we all have our own worries, whether we're rich or not.

Sorry, I saw that video as kind of an insult. Maybe it wasn't your intention. Just my interpretation. But I think the chip 'n dip part made it clear this video was made for the lulz.

I simply think there's something wrong with our society. Not only in my country, but everywhere else as well. Because, why would people suddenly go out on the street with a gun and kill a bunch of innocent kids?
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud Please don't look at the video as an insult. I didn't mean to insult you or anybody else. I also didn't intend to judge other people's issues or say that they are "minor". I know that there are no "minor" issues and saying things like "Man up" or "Get a grip and stop whining" will neither help, nor have any possitive effect at all.

It is right that 'money doesn't make happy' and I am not saying otherwise. Nevertheless, money can help people be happy. Even the most cheerful people may be sad if sick or hungry and money in some cases can "fix" both.

So the video was not meant to be funny in a mocking kind of way, but to cheer people up.

Since the topic name is "The topic for unhappiness/vent your sorrow", I only want to help if I possibly can. I will try to make it less likely to be misunderstood(in this topic) from now on and I will be glad if you don't take my posts(in this topic) as intentionally offensive. Thank you.

@Djimmy: No problem. Thanks for explaining. I also know there are people with bigger issues than mine out there, such as homeless people, people who lost their job, people whose husband/wife died recently, car accidents... My issues are minor and laughable in comparison. I'm fully aware of that. It's just the way you posted that video so suddenly amongst all the unhappy posts. It gave me the impression you were trolling or trying to mock people. But it's clear from your previous post you aren't, so everything is fine. :)
    You do seem like a person who takes things seriously quickly though. If that is a trait of your family that might be the reason why there is so much tension in the house. Oh, right. Something unhappy... I can't sleep properly for over a week now. Ears are infected and that stuff hasn't kicked in yet. But on the bright side... I can make snarky remarks about trying out homeopathic medicine to antagonize some people on my Facebook. And some minor pain doesn't really bother me during the day.
    @LukevanV: I guess that's true. But it's also because of my negative experiences with people on the internet. Become a member of the Bioware Social Network. Stay on that site for 2 years and you'll know what I'm talking about. Trolls and whiners everywhere. Or just plain morons. I wonder what took me so long to finally leave. Too much naive hope that things would turn around for the better, I guess. I also gotta mention that it is sometimes hard to read someone's intention on the net, because everything is text-based. So yeah, mistakes are made all the time. It's only human.
  • thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188
    I think you have unrealistic expectations of large groups of people. Would you walk into a large room filled with a thousand people, have a conversation with them and expect to be able to get along with more than half?

You don't join a community and expect many of the people to be awesome for you. You join to find those individuals that you enjoy talking to, and ignore everything else. Those people on BSN that you think are trolls or morons have their own group of people that they enjoy talking to...and probably think you are a moron. It's all perspective.
    edited January 2013
    On the Bioware boards you shouldn't venture beyond the Baldur's Gate section. I've read a lot about how the Bioware boards are full of trolling and negative behaviour, but I can't remember it ever seeing happen in the Baldur's Gate section. It is damn quiet there though, compared to these boards. Still, I do like a lot those people faithfully staying there and answering questions for anyone having some issue with BG either on technical or tactical level.

I think you have unrealistic expectations of large groups of people. Would you walk into a large room filled with a thousand people, have a conversation with them and expect to be able to get along with more than half?

You don't join a community and expect many of the people to be awesome for you. You join to find those individuals that you enjoy talking to, and ignore everything else. Those people on BSN that you think are trolls or morons have their own group of people that they enjoy talking to...and probably think you are a moron. It's all perspective.

Spend some time on the BSN and experience it yourself.

And cheat on the BG:EE forum? Blasphemy!

Right you are but let me add something. Some people have something missing in their lives(I don't believe that people are born "good" or "evil". Now I am closing the bracket before this post becomes too philosophical) and they try to pour their negative energy on the Internet(or worse at schools and public places). I know there are different points of view so I try not to be judgmental but let's not do things that we don't want to be done to us.

And cheat on the BG:EE forum? Blasphemy!

Yes.
    Djimmy said:

Right you are but let me add something. Some people have something missing in their lives(I don't believe that people are born "good" or "evil". Now I am closing the bracket before this post becomes too philosophical) and they try to pour their negative energy on the Internet(or worse at schools and public places). I know there are different points of view so I try not to be judgmental but let's not do things that we don't want to be done to us.
    Look, I don't think everyone has to agree with me, like me or whatever. I'm fully aware people have different opinions. I don't expect everyone to meekily nod their head when I say something. I actually HATE that kind of people. I'm not an attentionwhore. I just post some of my troubles in this topic, because I need a place to vent a little at times. And this topic is called 'The topic for venting your frustration/sorrow' right? That's exactly what I'm doing. If people disagree with me, fine. That's their right. I'm not even forcing people to read my posts. That would be utterly childish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    tilly said:

People boast that BG is easy no matter your character or party composition or party number...
    ... yet argue voraciously against 'nerfing' via implementing more D&D rules and fixing broken mechanics.

But I thought BG was sooo easy no matter what! :O

At the same time that BG is not a hard game, making things harder would... 'take the fun out of it'? Eh? :|

/skunk vent ._.

I think what is happening is people are boasting that it is easy and defending keeping it easy, because it is how the game has always been. It's a game thats more about the experience, not the challenge.

It was also created in a time when games were insanely difficult until you learned all the tricks or correct ways of getting through it. Think of games like King's Quest. In that game you might think it is really hard. It takes alot of time to learn how to get through it. However, once you played it through a couple times it is really fast and easy to blow through it.

We have had like 15 years to make BG really easy for us. You could ramp up the difficulty for a new generation of gamers, but in the process you would not have the same game. Bug fixes and improved visuals are all the EE is about, and I wouldn't want it any different.
  • Chaotic_GoodChaotic_Good Member Posts: 255
    edited January 2013
    On my old version of bg with tutu I would fight like 10 giberling per encounter in the second area where as now there is only one or two. This happens all through the game in EE I think the largest group I have faced in the world was like 4 through out the whole game on the hardest difficulty. I loved the pit but as far as playing bg I like the old version better.

Edit: You do not need to inform me why it is like this I read the thread already.

tilly said:

People boast that BG is easy no matter your character or party composition or party number...
    ... yet argue voraciously against 'nerfing' via implementing more D&D rules and fixing broken mechanics.

But I thought BG was sooo easy no matter what! :O

At the same time that BG is not a hard game, making things harder would... 'take the fun out of it'? Eh? :|

/skunk vent ._.

I think what is happening is people are boasting that it is easy and defending keeping it easy, because it is how the game has always been. It's a game thats more about the experience, not the challenge.

It was also created in a time when games were insanely difficult until you learned all the tricks or correct ways of getting through it. Think of games like King's Quest. In that game you might think it is really hard. It takes alot of time to learn how to get through it. However, once you played it through a couple times it is really fast and easy to blow through it.

We have had like 15 years to make BG really easy for us. You could ramp up the difficulty for a new generation of gamers, but in the process you would not have the same game. Bug fixes and improved visuals are all the EE is about, and I wouldn't want it any different.
    Aaah, I can remember the many times my low-level character died against a horde of Xvarts or Giberlings... Such good ol' times. It sometimes got me frustrated as hell, but now that I look back on it, I'm quite proud of myself I got my character all the way to Shadows of Amn. :p (couldn't play ToB because my SoA disc broke at some point XD)