Skip to content

****** SPOILERS ********* "The Stuff"

Comments

• ToofyToofy Member Posts: 36
    I got him with rep 20 and he didn't leave, when I gained another rep point for a quest he flipped out and TEMPORARILY left (something about "don't let them get me") but I was able to talk to him and have him rejoin immediately.

Viconia on the other hand...

P.S. I roleplay random killings to keep my rep at a low enough level to keep viconia by having Baeloth go off on his own in town to practice his magic missile aim....ridiculous as magic missiles never miss. But at least I feel better about it.
  • ToofyToofy Member Posts: 36
    edited January 2013
    Bah, good rps, there's an exp cap anyway and you usually get more gold than you need, and when they start sending the troops after you its a near endless supply of xp forced down your throat! Win/win either way
  • VittordeVittoVittordeVitto Member Posts: 225
    edited January 2013
    Can someone post it ? I play on the ipad so i don't have acess to it.

Im just too curious about it.

Why the heck he ends in our party in BG1 ?
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    edited January 2013
    fredamora said:

Why does it have to be that all the coolest NPCs have non-good alignment? ;p

Because we have cookies.

• KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    edited January 2013
    So he is now the best possible wizard in the BG series correct? His ring puts him above Edwin due to Edwin not being able to wear the amulet of power. Maybe Aerie is still better due to being able to ise cleric spells in sequencers/contingencies.
    Post edited by Kortok on
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Kortok said:

So he is now the best possible wizard in the BG series correct? His ring puts him above Edwin due to Edwin not being able to wear thr amulet of power. Maybe Aerie is still better due to being able to ise cleric spells in sequencers/contingencies.

Well sorcerers are limited in the spells they can pick and Baeloth's spells will mostly be pre-chosen for you (in BG2EE as well, if he's in that - actually that's a point, will he be in BG2EE?) and might not be the ones you want or optimal in all situations.

BTW does anyone know if he's romanace-able yet?
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Kortok said:

So he is now the best possible wizard in the BG series correct? His ring puts him above Edwin due to Edwin not being able to wear thr amulet of power. Maybe Aerie is still better due to being able to ise cleric spells in sequencers/contingencies.

Well... it goes back to the old "Mage vs. Sorcerer" debates. Those who prefer mages would point out that Edwin and Neera have the advantage because they're adaptable - they can memorize and rememorize different arrays of spells depending on the situation. So if you know you're going up against basilisks, you stock up on Protection From Petrification. Mages, Spell Immunity. Drow, Lower Resistance.

Fans of the Sorcerer class, on the other hand, point out that while your selection of spells is smaller and therefore much less versatile, your ability to cast doesn't require you to find (or purchase) scrolls. If you're very careful with your picks at every level-up, you can theoretically get all the spells you'll ever need. To wit: Baeloth is incredibly powerful, but since you pick him up at level 5, there isn't much room for you to design his arsenal.
  • ArcticArctic Member Posts: 76
    it is bugged on spanish " missing string " all seams ok in english
    edited January 2013

Can someone post it ? I play on the ipad so i don't have acess to it.

Im just too curious about it.

Why the heck he ends in our party in BG1 ?

When you defeat him in the Black Pits, he wishes for Najim to grant him "protection from death". The djinn complies by teleporting him to the surface - technically saving his life but stripping him of most of his powers. He asks for your protection in exchange for his services.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    shawne said:

Kortok said:

Well... it goes back to the old "Mage vs. Sorcerer" debates. Those who prefer mages would point out that Edwin and Neera have the advantage because they're adaptable - they can memorize and rememorize different arrays of spells depending on the situation. So if you know you're going up against basilisks, you stock up on Protection From Petrification. Mages, Spell Immunity. Drow, Lower Resistance.

Fans of the Sorcerer class, on the other hand, point out that while your selection of spells is smaller and therefore much less versatile, your ability to cast doesn't require you to find (or purchase) scrolls. If you're very careful with your picks at every level-up, you can theoretically get all the spells you'll ever need. To wit: Baeloth is incredibly powerful, but since you pick him up at level 5, there isn't much room for you to design his arsenal.
    There is also another important difference in BGEE. If we consider the XP cap (in the main campaign not in Black Pits), Sorcerers can only cast level 5 spells from scrolls, while Edwin, for example, can cast 3 Cloudkills per day and that imho is huge.

Of course, you can also have both a Sorcerer and a Mage in your party for fireworks.
    edited January 2013
    Erg said:

There is also another important difference in BGEE. If we consider the XP cap (in the main campaign not in Black Pits), Sorcerers can only cast level 5 spells from scrolls, while Edwin, for example, can cast 3 Cloudkills per day and that imho is huge.

Eh, I've never been a big fan of that particular spell - too easy to get my own people caught in the AoE.
    Erg said:

Of course, you can also have both a Sorcerer and a Mage in your party for fireworks.

Oh, absolutely. Having both Baeloth and Edwin in your party would pretty much see to any and all arcane-related needs you could ever have.
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    I find I have to keep myself away from Cloudkill, it just makes it way too easy to kill things for me and I don't have the personal willpower to avoid that abuse if it's in my spellbook.

Man, having Neera or a PC Wild Mage, Baeloth, and Edwin in the same party would be insane. Come on SCS, I need you to release so I can not feel dirty using that combo!
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    @Mykra

Give a wild mage cloudkill and have them cast it at level 1.

Good times.

Until it changes target to your group and you all die horribly.

Hilarious.
    moopy said:

@Mykra
    Give a wild mage cloudkill and have them cast it at level 1.

It almost becomes a game in itself of how much you can kill in a single NRD-Cloudkill cast. I think the entire Bandit camp - named and bosses, all - in one spell (Just position between the huts and back a bit and they'll all path right into it) is probably the tops.
    How likely is it that you'd be able to find a Cloudkill scroll at level 1, though?
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    @shawne: Fairly easily, actually, if you know where to find one.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747

BTW does anyone know if he's romanace-able yet?

I think not. At least Edwin is showing no signs of jealousy, even after I took back the ring and gave it to Baeloth. He doesn't react to gifts of flowers and chocolate either. I think I arrange a marriage between him and Dorn, that will show him.
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Wow. He can know way more spells than a regular Sorcerer (At least if you get him at level 6...)
  • pakbgeepakbgee Member Posts: 31
    Cerevant said:

The problem, for those interested, was part of the area script that handles things after the Bandit quest was exiting rather than letting the Baeloth spawn happen.

So you only need the patch if you are trying to get him to spawn after dealing with the bandits

That makes sense. They need to hire some testers, at least have their developers code-review the stuff before checking in. :)

shawne said:

How likely is it that you'd be able to find a Cloudkill scroll at level 1, though?

100%. There is a secret stash you can get when you are still level one.

It's one of the reasons I like the Hard Times mod. Save me from myself, modders!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Aranthys said:

Wow. He can know way more spells than a regular Sorcerer (At least if you get him at level 6...)

Take a look at that ring he's wearing. :)
  • kajeliskajelis Member Posts: 8
    So if you have a multiclass character does one of the classes have to be level 5 or does the combination of the two need to be 5?
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    kajelis said:

So if you have a multiclass character does one of the classes have to be level 5 or does the combination of the two need to be 5?

Good question...
  • swnmcmlxiswnmcmlxi Member Posts: 297
    kajelis said:

One of the classes, it was said on another thread (unfortunately I forget which).
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    @KidCarnival
    There are two rings of wizardy, so you can give one to Baeloth and one to Edwin!
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    shawne said:

Aranthys said:

Take a look at that ring he's wearing. :)
    The ring grants him additional cast per day, not additional spells knows.
    He shouldn't know as many spells.
    A sorcerer, at level 9 should have the following known spells :
    Level 1 - 5 known spells
    Level 2 - 4 known spells
    Level 3 - 3 known spells
    Level 4 - 2 known spells

When you get him at level 6, he should have the following amount of spells known :
    Level 1 - 4 known spells
    Level 2 - 2 known spells
    Level 3 - 1 known spell

But he actually knows much more spells something like 5 level 1 spells, 4 level 2 spells & so on.
    That should not be possible and is probably an oversight.

That, or he's the most OP wizard in the game :)