Skip to content

Player how-to: Getting mods to work on BGEE

Comments

• mormor Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2013
    @Xavioria, make sure you checked the alternative veriant: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/147818/#Comment_147818

Otherwise here is a quick overview:
    1. Your game directory is where the 'chitin.key' file is located, which is either in:
    C:\..\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\data\00766\ - beamdog install
    or
    C:\..\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\
    copy this path and just the path, without the file.(iirc you can copy it from the top of the explorer window)

2. open the command prompt i.e. the link or the ALR+R cmd, whatever just make sure you have the black window opened.

3. If the bottom line in the black window is not the same as your game directory path, change it by typing "cd *pasting your game* i.e.:
    cd "C:\..\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\data\00766\"
    or
    cd "C:\..\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\"
    you should see the game directory path. **

4. copy/paste mklink /H dialog.tlk .\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk per first post. ***

** unless you are on a different partition(the first letter of your path), in which case you need to type your letter followed by ":" first and hit enter, then repeat 3.
    *** To be honest I am not certain that mklink will work, unless you installed your game on NTFS partition.
    Post edited by mor on
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    @mlnevese I promise I tried that already, and it did not install that particular mod into my game, I can't figure out why, all I can tell you is that it did not do something correctly. @mor I tried mklink, and it does not understand that command. After doing some searching, it tells me that fsutil hardlink create would be the proper command for me to use; but the exact syntax of it is fsutil hardlink create "newfilename "existingfilename" The issue with this is that I'm not exactly sure what that command is telling me to do (I understand in a basic sense, but computers need exactness). SO, I'm just wondering if there is someone out there understands what this command is saying enough to translate that command to what I need to do to create a hardlink for dialog.tlk
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Xavioria could you post a screenshot so that we can take a look? Discovering this kind of thing of thing sometimes is hard when we don't have access to the computer :)
    Xavioria
    Take a screenshot of the command prompt? There is no error message, which screenshot do you need in particular @mlnevese?
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Guy>CD C:\Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
    \Data\00766

C:\Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766>fsutil hardlink creat
    e
    Usage : fsutil hardlink create
    Eg : fsutil hardlink create c:\foo.txt c:\bar.txt

C:\Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766>fsutil hardlink creat
    e C:\Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\dialog.tlk C:Progra
    m Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk
    Usage : fsutil hardlink create
    Eg : fsutil hardlink create c:\foo.txt c:\bar.txt

C:\Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766>mklink /H dialog.tlk
    .\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk
    'mklink' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766>

Here's what my command prompt says, if that's what you need, if it isn't, then I'll try to be more helpful lmao
  • mormor Member Posts: 16
    For our purpose "mklink /H" and "fsutil hardlink create" are the same. I suggest that you try to put both path in "" :
    fsutil hardlink create "C:\Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\dialog.tlk" "C:Progra
    m Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk"

or better use the relative path just as in the example:
    fsutil hardlink create dialog.tlk .\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk
    mlnevese
    LO AND BEHOLD, finally got the thing to hardlink correctly, thank you so much @mor and @mlnevese for your help and patience. I'm glad I finally have that part of my life over with, and for the future, I will now know how to do it...

The sad thing is, however, that the mod still is not installing correctly, even after the hardlink is created. I really don't understand why my computer is being such a... horrible... item, but it is.

I am however very thankful to both of you for helping me figure out how to hardlink this file, that way future mods will work correctly on my game :)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Xavioria My theory is that you should keep a BIG hammer close to your computer all the time so that it can see what to expect if it doesn't behave. Works like a charm every time I have a computer problem ;)
    XavioriaHerrderGezeiten
  • FiachFiach Member Posts: 231
    On the first page, all the stuff thats "crossed out", does that mean to disregard it?
  • shadow85shadow85 Member Posts: 128
    so do the original mods work on BGEE?
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    need to be adapted, some things has been changed, give a look in this thread for the already adapted mods (and the new ones) for BG:EE.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15380/mod-and-modding-tutorials-quick-links/p1
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    No. As stated they have to be adapted and its not a painless process either.
    shadow85 said:

so do the original mods work on BGEE?

• AbdullaAbdulla Member Posts: 7
    Hello. Thanks a lot for all the work with the mods, really appreciated.

I keep getting an error message on step 3 though. I've opened cmd, found my correct directory (d:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\0076) and then I've typed out "mklink /H dialog.tlk .\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk"

The message I get in reply then is : Cannot create a file whe that file already exists. I've tried deleting the dialog.tlk-file in lan folder, but then it says I can't do it cause it doesn't exist.

Anyone?

And also, are the removal of exp cap gonna work with old saves?
  • AbdullaAbdulla Member Posts: 7
    Anyone? Please.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @Abdulla
    Do you see a "dialog.tlk" file in the directory you are trying to create the hard link in?
    Try "del /f dialog.tlk" in the "00766" directory, followed by the mklink command.

If it is really giving you trouble, you can copy lang\en_us\dialog.tlk to . and install your mods. Then you move the file back.

Removing the XP cap works with old saves, yes.
  • What about for iPad????
  • kimmuryielkimmuryiel Member Posts: 89
    how would I use this to install the NPC project?
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    I'm pretty sure the iStuff is SOL when it comes to mods.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @kimmuryiel - The BG NPC project is not yet BG:EE compatible.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/9744/the-bg-npc-project/
  • kimmuryielkimmuryiel Member Posts: 89

@kimmuryiel - The BG NPC project is not yet BG:EE compatible.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/9744/the-bg-npc-project/

I know that, but there is someone beta testing the compatibility now which means they had to of been able to install it. I want to join said beta test, but not sure exactly how to.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    edited October 2013
    CamDawg said:

mklink /H dialog.tlk .\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk
    For me, this was:

mklink /H dialog.tlk .\data\00766\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk

Or maybe I was supposed to start in 00766, where chitin.key is, instead of the game folder...
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    edited October 2013
    PugPug said:

Or maybe I was supposed to start in 00766, where chitin.key is, instead of the game folder...

Indeed you are. What you did will probably not work.

See the first post: "Note: When I refer to the 'game folder' or 'game directory', it means the folder that contains chitin.key."

Besides, as stated in the new thread on how to get mods to work, now you would not need that if you used the latest version of WeiDU. You'll need to extract the WeiDU archive (see the thread for a link) somewhere and copy "weidu.exe" in the game folder, where the chitin.key is, and where you should extract the mods archives.
    You have to do that before installing any mod. This will allow the mods to update to the latest version of WeiDU. It will ask you to choose the game language you want to play with. Then WeiDU will know where to update the dialog.tlk without requiring the link.
    Post edited by Isaya on
  • SacklarSacklar Member Posts: 54
    i cant even figure out how to get my command window up to my game LOL i can't wait till this is done to were cavemen like me don't have to think bout it so much LOL
  • SarnindSarnind Member Posts: 256
    Any volunteers for a video guide?
  • JidaelleJidaelle Member Posts: 1
    I'm not sure if this was covered or not, but I can't get the White NPC mod to install, which seems odd as it was specifically designed for BG:EE. There are two issues that I can see. 1) My BG:EE folder seems to be missing the chitin.key. I've searched everyone on my computer but can't find it, which makes no sense to me at all. 2) I can't find the language subdirectory and I try to use command prompt but it keeps giving me "This system cannot find the path specified". I think BG:EE may not have been installed properly, but I downloaded it off of Steam and I've played the game just fine. Can someone please help me install this mod.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited December 2013
    Jidaelle said:

I'm not sure if this was covered or not, but I can't get the White NPC mod to install, which seems odd as it was specifically designed for BG:EE. There are two issues that I can see. 1) My BG:EE folder seems to be missing the chitin.key. I've searched everyone on my computer but can't find it, which makes no sense to me at all. 2) I can't find the language subdirectory and I try to use command prompt but it keeps giving me "This system cannot find the path specified". I think BG:EE may not have been installed properly, but I downloaded it off of Steam and I've played the game just fine. Can someone please help me install this mod.

Did you try searching for chitin.key using the search function in Windows? Like this:

The crappy search function from Windows usually works, but I really recommend getting a better software for the task. My personal favourite is Agent Ransack.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    So I have a probably stupid question: where is my BGEE directory and how would I find it? I click my BGEE game files and it just gives me steam://rungameid/

And I can't go to program directory... what do I do?
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited June 2014
    You have two places with BG:EE files.

One in:

X:(where X is your installed local disk)/program files (x64 if applicable)/beamdog/Games

Now here the folders "00766" belong to BG:EE and the folder "00783" belong to BG2:EE.

The 2° place with BG:EE files is:

X:/users/(your username in the PC probally)/documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    @kamuizin, I know that you are trying to help and I appreciate that, but your answer is wrong because @Dazzu has the Steam version, so the path is different.

@Dazzu, the main folder is always the one containing chitin.key, so either search for this file (see my post just above yours) or, considering that you have Steam, do the following (the instructions are from one of @Troodon80 posts in the EE Keeper thread):
    Troodon80 said:

In Steam, right click on the game title and select Properties:

Then select the Local Files tab and click Browse Local Files...:

Troodon80
  • DavideDavide Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,698
    Hello, I don't know if this is the right thread where to ask, in case it is not, please direct me towards the right one.

I am creating a small mod for BG1:EE that adds a NPC to an area, using WeiDU. After a small dialogue, he can transport himself with the whole party to another area. Here the party is free to roam, and to come back to the initial area after talking again to the NPC.

I created the .d and it worked fine in the game. I need now to create the option to move the NPCs to the other area. How should I do this?
    From the examples included in WeiDU I saw that in the .d there are commands like EscapeAreaMove(), that might suit my case. However, when I try to use them in my .d, I get a parsing error. Is it because they work only on BG2, or I am missing something? Maybe I should create a script to execute the transition?