Skip to content

Steam key for Beamdog buyers

Comments

• LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    @LukevanV I hope they do get it. Not for the people that are complaining and feel entitled. But for all those people that asked for it nicely.
  • WooWoo Member Posts: 135
    decado said:

@Woo

You bought the game on the understanding that it was a Beamdog exclusive. At no point was there ever any proviso that if it was later released to steam that you would be entitled to a free key. If there was please provide a link/proof so we may all see it.

So Beamdog has no responsibility to you at all.

In short, unless Beamdog an negotiate a Steam key from Atari/Steam then it is unlikely you are going to get one, this is despite Beamdog not even being involved in the Steam release.

My previous post still stands until you show me something to disprove it.

Wrong, you are assuming. I bought the game on Beamdog because I was forced to, because it was decided it WOULD NOT be on steam. Beamdog only option. Okay fine, I love BG, I will buy it. This is not the case now because BG:EE is a steam game.

Beamdog Handled my money. They are responsible for my customer service. You don't go to Coca-cola because the Dominos guy brought you expired coke when you ordered pizza. Or some other stupid example.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/228280/ go on, click the link, don't be scared. That is proof that BG:EE IS a steam game.
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    edited January 2013
    Lifat said:

@LukevanV I hope they do get it. Not for the people that are complaining and feel entitled. But for all those people that asked for it nicely.

Touché. I would use it, but I really don't see the advantage of slower updates. The only advantage would be Steam's download-servers.

@Woo, what is your point? Your argument is totally off. If you buy an album for example, in the store, and it later appears on something like iTunes, you aren't entitled to a download there then either. You just bought the game from Beamdog. That's it. And what are all the advantages you are missing now? I really don't see your point.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Woo said:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/228280/ go on, click the link, don't be scared. That is proof that BG:EE IS a steam game.

@Woo

You still fail to see that being "on Steam" and being "a Steam Game" are two different things. It is the only logical conclusion as you clearly don't have a Steam key.

Erg said:

Woo said:

@Woo

You still fail to see that being "on Steam" and being "a Steam Game" are two different things. It is the only logical conclusion as you clearly don't have a Steam key.

Oh do tell what is the difference between a game being ON STEAM, and A STEAM GAME. Other than choice of words. Steam does not make games, only sells games for companies. All games that are on steam for sale are steam games. BG:EE included doesn't matter how you word it a game for sale on steam/a steam game.
    @Woo How can you say you were forced to buy the game via beamdog? You have the option of not buying the game at all?
    Besides... They were VERY open about the fact that even though it was beamdog exclusive at the time that it might not stay that way? They even said the reason they couldn't get it on steam wasn't because they chose not to but because of issues with the deal.
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    That argument is quite useless however. Just how you like to pronounce tomato and potato. Semantics.
    lordkim said:

Woo said:

lordkim said:

@woo.
    Cry me a river !

There wouldnt be anything for you to argue, if you just bought the game at Beamdogs.
    So my marketing ethics, my arse..

I Did in fact buy the game from beamdog, twice because I was FORCED TO, now there is BETTER and more reliable (steam) options to the customers, there should be these options to preexisting customers, without having to repurchase.
    LOL !

SO they came to your house. Took your arm and twisted it .. And said : Were forcing you to buy this game..I say BULL !!

If you had patience and look what Trent wrote on his twitter or in here, youll see his actually mentioned that theres nothing that states that the game wont come too steam..
    Forced as in having to resort to shitty beamdog client as only option. Yes that is forced. Not as in forced to buy the game. Had I known it was coming to steam later and buggy as shit to start I would not have even given beamdog my money to begin with.
    Woo said:

Erg said:

Woo said:

@Woo

Oh do tell what is the difference between a game being ON STEAM, and A STEAM GAME. Other than choice of words. Steam does not make games, only sells games for companies. All games that are on steam for sale are steam games. BG:EE included doesn't matter how you word it a game for sale on steam/a steam game.
    Apparently, by the same logic you are so fond with,

A "game on steam" can be bought on Steam, but it doesn't necessarily come with a Steam key, if you buy elsewhere.
    A "Steam Game" comes with a steam key.
    Lifat said:

@Woo How can you say you were forced to buy the game via beamdog? You have the option of not buying the game at all?
    Besides... They were VERY open about the fact that even though it was beamdog exclusive at the time that it might not stay that way? They even said the reason they couldn't get it on steam wasn't because they chose not to but because of issues with the deal.

Pretty sure on these forums months ago it was stated that BG:EE would NOT be on steam. Forced as in 1 option, still wanting to own the game legitimately.
    @Woo it was NEVER stated that it would not come to steam. Trent was specifically out there saying that he couldn't promise that it WOULDN'T
    decado said:

@Woo

You are ignoring pretty much everything anyone says and falling foul to the fallacies you yourself seem so keen on.

This!
    Lifat said:

@Woo it was NEVER stated that it would not come to steam. Trent was specifically out there saying that he couldn't promise that it WOULDN'T

lordkim said:

Woo said:

Lifat said:

Pretty sure on these forums months ago it was stated that BG:EE would NOT be on steam. Forced as in 1 option, still wanting to own the game legitimately.
    PhillipDaigle Posts: 403
    July 2012
    BG:EE will be available through the Beamdog client, and also independently of the Beamdog client. Regarding its availability on Steam, the game is temporarily exclusive to Beamdog.

July 2012
    BG:EE will be available through the Beamdog client, and also independently of the Beamdog client. Regarding its availability on Steam, the game is temporarily exclusive to Beamdog.

July 2012
    GOG is in the same boat as Steam. We can't make any comments regarding availability there in the future, but BG:EE is temporarily exclusive to Beamdog.

Aosaw Posts: 3,061
    August 2012
    More specifically, it's not coming on Steam "right now". No one has said that they will never release it on Steam ever; it's just a matter of when.

etc etc etc..

No one said it will never come to Steam...
    Thanks.
    @Lordkim thank you for being a better man than me and actually finding the quotes.
    Lifat said:

@Lordkim thank you for being a better man than me and actually finding the quotes.

I couldn't even find them, I just remember from months ago "Won't be on steam" all over the forums. Search function isn't even helpful.(still)
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    :O)

Remember the big fuzz over the steam thingy, but i never saw them write anything that stated something else.

And yir, the search function sux bigtime.
  • MortesMortes Member Posts: 45
    @Woo When you bought the game from Beamdog, you bought it without any promise of a Steam key, as it was nowhere stated that a Steam key is automatically included with your purchase via Beamdog. So be quite.

I'd really wish you'd get temporarily banned for your continuous trolling here.

Additionally, Trent has already stated that they try to make it possible to get Steam keys for us, even though we weren't promised any. That's an extra bonus from Beamdog in case it happens and nothing else. You already have a fully functional product.
  • fanestfanest Member Posts: 15
    I would very much like to get steam key! It would also show the generosity and good character of developers toward community which supports them from the beginning :D
    edited January 2013
    lordkim said:

the search function sux bigtime.

@lordkim

I've found that just using Google with "site:" is much more effective, i.e.

site:forum.baldursgate.com keyword1 optional_keyword2 etc.

will use Google to search only inside this forum.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    @fanest
    It's not to to Beamdog, they had little to no involvement in this release. It's up to Atari/Steam.
    Erg said:

lordkim said:

@lordkim

I just tested this, it's so much better. Thanks. :D
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think I said something about this already, but maybe it was another thread:

We're working on getting steam keys for those of you who already purchased the game from Beamdog. It depends on how negotiations go with Atari, though, since they control the digital distribution of the game. As soon as I know more I'll post it--and if we are able to get everybody steam keys for their Beamdog-purchased copies, I'll post an announcement explaining how to get them.

I encourage everyone to be patient, although I can certainly understand people being frustrated.
    Woo said:

Erg said:

lordkim said:

@lordkim

I just tested this, it's so much better. Thanks. :D
    I'm glad it helped!
  • PhoenixDownPhoenixDown Member Posts: 38
    edited January 2013
    Aosaw said:

I think I said something about this already, but maybe it was another thread:

We're working on getting steam keys for those of you who already purchased the game from Beamdog. It depends on how negotiations go with Atari, though, since they control the digital distribution of the game. As soon as I know more I'll post it--and if we are able to get everybody steam keys for their Beamdog-purchased copies, I'll post an announcement explaining how to get them.

I encourage everyone to be patient, although I can certainly understand people being frustrated.

That's awesome to hear! I would be really lovely gesture towards the fans. Good luck with negotiations!

I was really disappointed and sad that I didn't held off my purchase, when I heard that BG:EE landed on steam. I don't mind buying it from beamdog, but my whole digital game collection is on steam and would really like to have option to download and keep the game there. It's convenient.

Some people seem to not understand why we want steam keys, but that's ok. I understand that not everyone likes or even uses steam. I'm glad those people are given the option not to use steam.
    Anton said:

Well, that's quite a bunch of reasons not to want #steam version

All those reasons are valid however some people will gladly wait for updates or just don't care where the part of the money goes and still want and will exclusively use the steam version.
    Anyway look at rerelease of pc FFVII. It bombed hard, because square refused to bite the bullet and release it on steam(that and it was really bad quality rerelease) so people said 'screw it' and didn't buy it at all. Think about it like that: no profit or share the money and make half of profit.

Cheers,
    PhoenixDown
  • qwert_44643qwert_44643 Member Posts: 311
    I dont want a steam key and i have most of my games on steam.....quit your whining!
  • HeyaHeya Member Posts: 55
    None of you want your money back as much as the shareholders want you to give them more money. Tis the way of the world, and people's modern tendency to be all "I WANT MY RAH RAH!" isn't exactly helping, is it?

Don't get me wrong, Valve are a great company, they make great games. But if all you want is convenience then there's no wonder games like BG don't get made any more.