12346»

Comments

• HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    BG:EE...On Steam?

SHUT UP AND TAKE MORE OF MY MONEY!!!
    PeteAtoms
  • etotheoetotheo Member Posts: 61
    Rasekov said:

...not really worth much drama, even less when we still don't know if they'll manage to get steam keys for us making this whole argument pointless.

Pretty much sums up this entire thread...

• PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140
    Heinrich said:

BG:EE...On Steam?

SHUT UP AND TAKE MORE OF MY MONEY!!!

You know what. . . even if we don't get Steam keys, I'll probably breakdown and get another copy anyway :p And though it won't be much, the dev's will still be getting a bit more money from me. If it helps the development of future sequels, I'm fine with kicking in some extra cash.

Until we get some actual figures, all of this conjecture on financial ramifications is just pointless and people are getting bent out of shape over it.

At least now I know I can just wait a few weeks for the Steam release when BG2EE rolls around :)
    Wilbur
  • Let us say, hypothetically, that for each copy of the game sold, Atari gets 25%, Wizards gets 25%, and Beamdog gets 50%. In this example, if the same game gets sold on Steam, the license holders split a smaller pie, with Steam's 30% taken off the top. So for every hundred dollars sold, beamdog would get 35 dollars instead of fifty.

It could be even worse. Say atari and wotc get an un-adjustable percentage of sales (not uncommon). That would mean Steam's cut has to come directly at the expense of beamdog, meaning beamdog would make twenty dollars instead of fifty, per hundred dollars sold.

The second scenario would also square wuth what Trent has posted, that beamdog is now making less per sale than Steam is.

EDIT: Ninja'd :(

So it all depends on the ratio of people who buy it on Steam who would've have purchased from Beamdog (a couple months after launch) instead, vs. the number of people who buy it on Steam who would never have bought it in the first place. In your hypothetical situation, if three times as many people buy it now as would have bought it from Beamdog exclusively, it's a net win for Overhaul.

Wasn't someone saying BGEE is the #2 seller on Steam?

TJ_Hooker
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160
    Kaigen said:

Wasn't someone saying BGEE is the #2 seller on Steam?

It's #1 now.
    TJ_Hooker[Deleted User]Wilbur
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938

The company is also trying to shut down fan sites that have been around since the first relese (spellhold studios, gibberlings 3, etc.)

People from Spellhold and Gibberlings help here...

People are dumb.
    Fenghoang
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150
    That was faster than I anticipated. Now I might get it when the price is right. Since I have the original game, $20 seems like a lot to ask for.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

@Coriander so much for syncing the multiplayer updates, then. :(

Well, that's probably a problem, because there are still patches in the queue. If Steam is lagging behind, it will be kinda difficult. But i guess, we cannot slow down just to let Steam close up, can we?
    Razor
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    So, we have BG:EE on Steam. And so I feel obligated to ask you guys/gals one question:

Should I care (about BG:EE on steam)?
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I still can't believe how many people still consider 20 bucks too much for a new release of a true RPG classic. You want people to work for free while sitting in your lazy chair, guys? Most games sell for triple the price nowadays and aren't even that good. It seems people have no idea how hard it is to start up a small company of your own, how hard it is to compete with larger companies and how many resources and money you have to gather to keep your small company running. I'm actually surprised BG:EE costs so little. But noooo, people will gladly buy Assassin's Creed III for what, 60 bucks, and refuse to shell out 20 bucks for BG:EE. It's ironic, really.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    edited January 2013
    @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud

I find the people on Steam saying buy it from GOG for 10 dollars and use the free mods to be the most confusing.

Because how is BG1 worth 10 dollars on GOG, but having the widescreen, BG2 engine, bug fixes, etc... mods preloaded, Neera, Dorn, Baeloth, Rassad, new NPC quests, The Black Pits, improved interface above and beyond what mods provided, constant support and updates, and probably other things I'm forgetting isn't worth 20?

I'm wondering if the people advising others to buy it from GOG instead even know what is in BG:EE
    RazorSilverstarWilbur[Deleted User]
    @moopy: In fact, I didn't have such high expectations concerning BG:EE. I mean, I didn't expect a Baldur's Gate in the style of, say, Dragon Age: Origins. I needed a new copy of Baldur's Gate anyway, because my brother doesn't appreciate me using his BG discs. :p
  • Doom972Doom972 Member Posts: 150

I still can't believe how many people still consider 20 bucks too much for a new release of a true RPG classic. You want people to work for free while sitting in your lazy chair, guys? Most games sell for triple the price nowadays and aren't even that good. It seems people have no idea how hard it is to start up a small company of your own, how hard it is to compete with larger companies and how many resources and money you have to gather to keep your small company running. I'm actually surprised BG:EE costs so little. But noooo, people will gladly buy Assassin's Creed III for what, 60 bucks, and refuse to shell out 20 bucks for BG:EE. It's ironic, really.

Because it's not paying $20 for a new game that this studio made, it's paying $20 for an old game (which most of us probably already have) that this studio only fixed up a bit.
    I feel like I'm being asked to pay $20 for a patch + DLC pack. A patch shouldn't cost money, and I will never pay $20 for a DLC pack.
    I guess I'll wait for a Steam sale.
  • Allen63Allen63 Member Posts: 53
    edited January 2013
    BGEE on Steam will be $4.99 later this year, I predict.

Above, if Steam follows the usual Steam procedure and gives a 75% off sale a couple times during 2013. I've often bought a game twice this way -- example, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic at full price when it came out and this year on steam for about $2 or $3. Others I've paid a larger percentage -- just to get the convenience of Steam.

By the way, I'm happy with the Beamdog release and don't feel "cheated".
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160
    edited January 2013

@Doom972 and @Allen63 basically summed up why people are complaining. You're essentially buying BG with a DLC pack and pre-installed fixpack that introduces it's own bugs and, ATM, isn't very compatible with existing mods.

Don't get me wrong, I think BGEE is totally worth it just for the Zoom/Resolution/UI tweaks alone. But when a new potential buyer looks at the Tech forum and sees all of these people trying to get the game just to run, they have a right to be hesitant. Not only that, but the fact that they can buy the standalone game at GOG for $10.00 ($5.00 when there's a sale - like the one 2 weeks ago) or the entire DnD Anthology for $20.00, it's no wonder why they don't think it's worth it. To them, they're just getting a DLC pack for a really old game with new bugs and mod incompatibility for an extra cost.

I personally ran into an audio issue with BG:EE and my soundcard that is still unresolved to this day. Luckily, I found a solution by using an OpenAL32.dll from another program to manually fix it. My GOG versions of the Infinity Engine games, on the other hand, has zero tech problems on my end (much to my surprise when I bought the bundle pack during the Winter sale). Still can't figure out how to get EAX to work, but I'm starting to think it isn't possible for BGEE because they ported the game to OpenAL (works fine for the GOG versions though... D= ). Can't use Alchemy and I noticed environmental sounds (the EAX toggle in the original games) was enabled by default in the config file but doesn't seem to enable the effect.

I don't regret my BG:EE purchase, and I'll definitely buy the Android version and BG2:EE when it's released, but I can totally see where people are coming from.
    Doom972
  • StuartStuart Member Posts: 6
    1)Is it able to take my beamdog-savefile-of-bgee to steam-bgee game?
    2)Is it able to make changes in save files of steam-bgee? (use trainers)
  • AnaximanderAnaximander Member Posts: 191
    I think i will use my beamdog install for checking out the latest patch revisions, playing with xp uncapped, and playing with mods like scs when they finalise for EE. I'm picking the game up on steam right now to possibly play with a few friends all vanilla like.
  • true_shinkentrue_shinken Member Posts: 84
    So will we get steam keys or what?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    It's being negotiated with Atari.
  • AngelDeath82AngelDeath82 Member Posts: 1
    I would appreciate a steam key for my Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, as the only reason I bought from Beamdog is that it was supposedly an exclusive item from them (taken from early comments, and the very hesitant tweets from Trent). <- This is reposted here to hopefully better get Atari's attention, originally I posted on beamdog.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    @AngelDeath82 As was previously said in this very thread (and the other clones) fact is that it was never promised that it would never show up on steam. It was said that it would be beamdog only at release (and it was)
    I get that you want your steamkey and I applaud you for asking nicely. I think your best bet would be to ask for it directly from atari. Let them feel the pressure from the gamers that wants a steamkey. Maybe go public with it and see if you can get a gamers news site to pick up on the story about how atari behaved during this and maybe that would add pressure.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Eudaemonium
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Still no keys or final word.

Ask Atari.
    Is this whole debacle STILL going on? Also, the Steam version of BGEE will be updated slower than the Beamdog version, because Beamdog has no direct control over the Steam version. Must be fun to wait till the Steam version finally gets updated. Why would you play a game with DRM platform included anyway? Beamdog's version is pretty much just downloading the exe. file and installing the game. Oh well.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2013
    Has the steam version even gotten the 1.0.2014 (or whatever) patch yet?

Personally I would never buy from steam if they didn't have ridiculous steam sales.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @elminster Yes, Steam has v2014 now, which is currently the latest.
    elminster