Skip to content

[GUI Mod] Archaic GUI for BG:EE

Comments

• ShadowSmugglerShadowSmuggler Member Posts: 44
    I miss the circles for the known spells. I mean, I'm ok with whatever happens.. but.. the circles were pretty
  • ArchaicArchaic Member Posts: 924
    edited February 2013
    @Tome - I added it to the top because it feels more like a header then a footer. I did mess around with it on the bottom and it did not look good at all. Thanks.

@geminibruni - as of right now there is no way for me to actually get the circles on the known spells. Its hard coded that way just like the stock mage book screen. The previous screenshots were only a design concept and not an in-game screenshot. If I find a workaround I may offer options for this. Thanks.

@Darksheer - maybe its a matter of perspective but in my view the text does bend with the book/page. Look at the top of the book/page its curved like a page would be in a book and the text curves with it. That Mystra symbol was the first symbol I tried and it was simply too busy and took focus away from the rest of the screen.

@Tome @Darksheer - Yes - the mage book is complete and I've moved onto the preist scroll now. But I can still make minor adjustments if needed.

@ShadowSmuggler - Nothing I can do about it now but If I find a way to do it I will consider it as a optional feature. Thanks.
  • TomeTome Member Posts: 466
    Fair enough. :)

Perhaps you could put the title at the top, then the image/text, then the memorized spells? I just like the idea of having the known/memorized headers be symmetrical.
    @Tome - I understand your point and it makes sense however then I would have to change the color of that title to a light color and that would not look good.
    edited February 2013
    If only the Transparent Background Mod would fully work. That darn bug is preventing me from some amazing things. I could stack screens side by side and you could have two screens viewable at the same time. Like having the inventory screen and record screen open at the same time, etc.
  • SelabocSelaboc Member Posts: 64

I miss the circles for the known spells. I mean, I'm ok with whatever happens.. but.. the circles were pretty

I'm of the opposite view. I thought the circles made it look too busy, so even though it was a result of a hardcoded limitation, I'm pleased to see the circles are not there. Just goes to show different folks have different tastes.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Been busy lately; only just got back now. Man, I have to say it's perfect. I love how everything were put into place. Very well done as always @Archaic. Hats off to your skills and dedication to the project.
    I need ideas for a symbol for the priest scroll like the Mystra logo in the mage book.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited February 2013
    what about Oghma's holy symbol?

(c) Wizard's of the Coast
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,714
    I think it would be safer to use Bhaal symbol (but not the game-icon as there are too many of those already). It can be excused that...well... it has a really big influence on the game, Oghma doesn't.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I really don't think any deity symbol would do for the priest scroll, since such a feature would limit the roleplay factor rather than enhance it. For example, an Stormlord of Talos would never brandmark his sacred priest scroll with the holy symbol of Oghma and visa-versa. Doing various optional priest scroll sets with only different deity symbols would be rather pointless as well, not to mention needlessly time consuming.

My suggestion would therefore be the use of no deity symbol whatsoever. Or at least something neutral yet immersive, which can fit every deity and their followers.
    edited February 2013
    @LavaDelVortel - First time I've seen you in this thread. Welcome! I like your work on the portait pack you put together. Well done. In BETA 6 I've removed all Bhaal symbols from the GUI. Thanks for the suggestion.

@mlnevese - interesting idea...just not sure how good that symbol would look on a scroll. Scroll on scroll? Thanks.
    @Kamigoroshi - 100% agree...well said.
    edited February 2013
    I should have a in-game screenshot of the Priest Scroll up with in an hour or so...
    edited February 2013
    @Sylvus_Moonbow - Known has a total of 24 possible spell slots and Memorized has 12. This creates a huge gap at the bottom. I centered to make it look better. I think its pretty clear what part is known and memorized. Memorized spells do have the circle border. I'll keep your suggestions in mind. Thanks for the awesome feedback.

NOTE: If you're going to use so many images in your post could you please try to use the spoiler code? :)
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    The faded text makes a huge difference. I'm liking it.
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    Will beta 6 include load/save screen, options screen, main menu and start screen?
    edited February 2013
    @Etamin - Yes it sure will. I'm going to touch up those screens for the B6 release but I'm not doing a full redesign yet. I haven't decided which screens I will redesign. Depending on how fast I get everything done on the agenda I may redesign the save/load screen for B6. My goal is make sure B6 is released by March 3rd at the latest.
    edited February 2013
    Any ideas for a symbol or image that I could include on the journal screen?
    edited February 2013
    Archaic Journal for BETA 6 (design concept):
    I need some ideas for a different watermark, symbol, or logo to spice up the journal.
  • ShadowSmugglerShadowSmuggler Member Posts: 44
    journal screen, maybe a walking stick.. or an old man in red with a walking stick and a pipe.. I dunno.. something to denote travel would be good. Though to be honest that dragon looks kick ass there..
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Hi Archaic,

First of all I want to thank for a great stuff Your'e cooking for all of us players:) I've been lurking this thread for some time and progress You made since the beginning is amazing.

But here are some ideas for symbol that could be added into journal.

1. Symbol of Tymora - goddess of good fortune and adventurers

2. Symbol of Shaundakul - god of wind, portals, travel, exploration, caravans

Thought these symbols could be connected somehow with journal/travel book idea.
    Personally I think illuminated manuscripts, or colourful scroll engravings are the way to go here. Not every piece of paper looks better with lone symbols on it - the journal/diary being one of them.
  • CastorpCastorp Member Posts: 45
    I can't wait for Beta 6. :)
    edited February 2013
    @Sylvus_Moonbow - the text aligned is not something that I'm going to adjust. I'm moving on to the Journal and Map. I can't get hung up on too much otherwise I'll never get BETA 6 out. I tried to satisfy your requests however it doesn't seem to be working. The candle will not fit on the page like you think it will. Remember there are 36 spell slot that are taking up the majority of room. I appreciate your feedback.
    @Cahir - Thanks for chiming in! I'm glad to hear you've seen the progress from the first release to the looming B6. Please continue to add your valuable feedback. I'd like to see you have a say in the final version. Cheers.

@Kamigoroshi - You've had some great ideas lately. What should the "colourful scroll engravings" entail? Thanks for your support man.
    @Archaic: The engravings/illuminations can entail anything, really. Colourful ivy and similar plants would be the most common form used in such old medieval manuscripts. But you can as well use other kinds of ornament designs made of shadows, burns or bloodstrains if you wish to keep the weathered look of the journal. Or, be creative and conjure your own engravings out of Fearunian heraldric art.

That being said, let your artistic senses run wild and don't limit yourself. Anything goes as long as it fits into the scroll. And if you should run out of useable workspace, screw the scroll altogether and change it into a book in order to get a larger canvas for your art.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited February 2013
    @Archaic
    I've been watching progress since the beginning, sorry it took me so long to emerge:)

Ok, I had some deeper thoughts about journal concept and personally think that a book fit more for a journal than scroll. Something like this maybe:

It's just get more immersive feeling like actual reading of a journal rather than reciting an ancient scroll with powerful magic. Not that I dislike Your scroll journal concept just I'd rather left scroll type concepts for spells and book-like for journal. Maybe add a little stain marks to add a little worn feeling of being used often.
    How are Your thoughts about it?
    I'm just popping with ideas until it's in concept stage:)
This discussion has been closed.