Skip to content

Mac FAQ

FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
edited February 2013 in Mac OS X (Archive)
Here are some questions that have frequently come up. If you have a commonly asked question, reply and I'll add it to the post.

How do I install the game? Do I need the "Beamdog Client"?

BG: EE can be downloaded using the stand-alone launcher for OS X; there is no client. To install the game, click the link to download the launcher which you received in your order email. Open the .dmg and drag the Launcher to your Applications folder. Log in with your Beamdog ID to download the game.

You can also download the launcher via the "Install Now" button on the product page. Make sure you're logged in first.

Where are save games and the .ini located?

~/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition

Extra portraits are stored here as well, although you'll need to create a "Portraits" folder.

Are save games cross-platform?

Yes, they are. You can use iFunbox to bring them from your iPad. In the future, there will be cloud saves.

How do I enable the console?

Open the .ini in your favorite text editor and add the following line:

'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1',

Press control-space to open the console.

Where is the Override folder?

Go to Applications/Baldur's Gate-EE/Game Data/00777/. Right click on "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition" and select "Show Package Contents." Go to Contents/Resources. The Override folder will be there, along with the game data.

Is there a key combination for Windowed Mode?

Yes, it is option-return.

Post edited by FuzzyPuffin on

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @FuzzyPuffin Stickied
  • ViccoVicco Member Posts: 12
    I first bought the Windows version & installed it in my Mac using Parallels. A Baldur's Gate-Enhanced Edition folder was created in my Mac's ~/Documents folder.

Just downloaded & installed the Mac version. There's a Baldur's Gate-Enhanced Edition folder in the Documents folder but it seems to be for the Windows version as it has the saved game files from that version.

I ran the BGEE Mac version & made a save game. It's not showing up in the above-mentioned folder but it's saved somewhere because it shows in the Mac's BGEE game & I'm able to load it.

Where's the BG-EE folder for the Mac?
    @FuzzyPuffin Edited your post to add the full path of the public version.
    edited February 2013
    @Vicco The full path is a little complicated as the Mac version saves inside the sandbox as Apple demands for a App Store application. You can find a shortcut inside your documents folder called Baldur's Gate Enhaced Edition.

The full path would be:

/Users/username/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/save
    Finally found the BG-EE folder for the Mac! Below are the steps I took:

1. First rename the BGEE folder (Windows version) in the documents folder.

2. I restarted BGEE using the BGEE-launcher app instead of the BGEE app.

3. It seems that the launcher will install an alias for the Mac version BGEE folder. It seems that it puts it in another folder if there is a BGEE Windows folder already existing. (Or, an alias is really installed whether a Windows version exists or not. It's up to the devs to comment on this.)

4. For me, the Mac version folder is in: /Users/username/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition

If you want to revert the Windows BGEE folder back to its original folder name, you'll need to rename the alias BGEE folder for the Mac.

Here is how I named the folders for the different versions:

Windows version: Balder's Gate - Enhanced Edition
    Mac Version: Balder's Gate - Enhanced Edition Mac (alias)
    Note that you are renaming the alias in the Documents folder & not the BGEE folder in the .../Library/Containers/...

I was also able to transfer the portrait folder & game saves from the Windows version to the Mac! :-)
    @ mlnevese It seems that you replied while I was making the above. Thanks for the clarification about alias/shortcut file. If that's the case, the Windows version of the BGEE file doesn't have to be renamed.
  • revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    Where do you put the custom portraits menu? I can't seem to get it to work...
    @revaar Go the shortcut to BGEE in your documents. In the resulting folder create a Portraits folder and copy your images inside.
  • revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    Ah!, it seems i had Portraits misspelled... Silly me. Thanks!
  • GrakkelGrakkel Member Posts: 55
    mlnevese said:

The full path would be:

/Users/username/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/save

Just a note that multi-player saves appear to go in the following location:

/Users/username/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/mpsave
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    Grakkel said:

mlnevese said:

The full path would be:

Just a note that multi-player saves appear to go in the following location:

/Users/username/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/mpsave
    The mp save folder is in the same folder as saves. So the shortcut works: ~/documents/Baldurs Gate Enhanced/
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    @FuzzyPuffin Your answer to the first question is a little confusing - it almost makes it sound like you need to download the game in Windows. Suggest changing the first sentence to:

"BGEE can be downloaded using the stand-alone launcher for Mac OSX. There is no Beamdog client for Mac OSX."
  • ArcaterArcater Member Posts: 22
    How can I enable the console on OS X?
    @Arcater Go to your documents folder, click the Baldur's Gate shortcut, edit baldur.ini and add this line:

'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1',
  • AvengerLynxAvengerLynx Member Posts: 24
    edited February 2013
    @Arcater I take it you're referring to the CLUA (cheats) Console? From a Finder window, go into Documents>Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition>Baldur.ini>Open with textedit and add the line:

CREATE TABLE options (
    section string,
    name string,
    value string
    );
    INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1'

at the bottom of the document. Then save it.
    Note that you'll need to restart the game afterwards.
    Hope that helps :)
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    I thought I would mention that if, for some reason, you don't get the e-mail with the link (it might be filtered out by the e-mail provider, or sent to the junk mail/spam folder, or any number of other reasons which Beamdog can't control), you can alternatively find the launcher on the purchase page.

You need to sign in first (which is important), then click on the button labelled "Install Now."

Example screenshot.

I just thought I would mention it since I've seen a number of people, including with the Windows version, who can't seem to find the installer :).
  • TarquinTarquin Member Posts: 41
    My save directory is in a different location from the full path given above. In fact, I have no ~/Library/Containers directory at all. Does this path only exists for Lion and up (I am running Snow Leopard)?

Full path for Snow Leopard (10.6):

/Users/username/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition
    @Tarquin yes, that's correct. The Lion+ version uses a symlink to achieve the same path.
  • PsyM0nkeyPsyM0nkey Member Posts: 2
    Its mentioned that the Apple editions are cross-platform, meaning you're able to move saves from Mac to iPad.

Im in a situation where I want to play between my MacBook and my iMac. Whats the best way to keep the saves files 'in sync'?

@PsyM0nkey bring them over manually until cloud saves are implemented. You can probably do something with symlinks and Dropbox, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth.
    Spideroak lets you choose which folders to sync, so no symlink magic required :)
    @PsyM0nkey While the cloud features are not implemented, I'd recommend an automatic syncing service, such as Sugarsync, for instance.
  • PsyM0nkeyPsyM0nkey Member Posts: 2
    @FuzzyPuffin @mlnevese ah thanks for your tips guys!:)

Cool so which file would I need to copy back and forth, or sugar sync? Or do I just copy/sync this whole path? - /Users/username/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/save
    That should do the trick!
  • ElmeraldElmerald Member Posts: 3
    I modified the .ini but I'm not able to open the console. I have the macbook Pro. What's the key combination. Option-return doesn't work.
    @Elmerald: Control-space to open the CLUA console
  • muswellbrookmuswellbrook Member Posts: 12
    What if I don't want BG-EE creating folders in my documents folder? Can I change the location that BG-EE puts the folder?
    BG-EE doesn't actually create any folders in documents - it puts it in /Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition. What is in Documents is a symlink to that folder. The could not change this without having a Mac OS file/save dialog pop up in front of your game every time you save, making quicksave impossible. You can thank Apple's sandboxing for that obscure little "feature"
  • willwillwillwill Member Posts: 23
    As far I know Apple does not force to use sandboxing outside App Store. Sandboxing is not good for some features but for safety it is. Usually you cannot be best of the both worlds.
    Yep. It has always been Beamdog's plan to release BGEE through the app store, so they have to play by the rules.