Skip to content

EE Keeper, Updated to v1.0.4

Comments

• RynchenzoRynchenzo Member Posts: 1
    This is great work, thank you for the hours that have gone into this.
  • TranceTrance Member Posts: 2
    Sadly this (and Shadowkeeper) doesn't work with the Steam Version of BGEE. It seems to have a different File Folder Structure.

Even if i manually set the correct installation path (for me this is "F:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition" )where BGEE.exe is located the prgram tells me baldur.exe Not found (of course its not found, the Steam Version doesn't have any Baldur.exe).

Also the Data Folder does not have any Subfolders (so no 00766 directory or whatever the number is)

I can provide Details of the File Structure if that would help make the program Steam compatible. Im sure im not the only one that would like to use this program with his BGEE Steam Version (especially not after yesterday's Steam Sale for BGEE...)
  • ParaspriteParasprite Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2013
    Bug: Attempting to save game will truncate names longer than 20 letters, even if it was named that way before it was edited.

Possible explanation: I don't remember if you can give names longer than 20 characters in the original version of BG, but it is possible that since Gate Keeper was modeled after the original game that that was one of the limitations that it has inherited. While I don't know if it can be fixed easily, a warning would be nice to have in the interim.

Oh, and thanks for updating this to work with EE!
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I am trying to run this Keeper but I keep getting an error about being unable to find a dialog.tlk. Can someone help?
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    edited March 2013
    @Parasprite, had I known about the problem there would have been a warning (typically, had I known about it you would never have seen ;)). I (or mattinm (or both, assuming I can get to my own code in the mean time), while converting the code) will look into it, thank you for the heads-up :).

Do you know of a limit, perhaps it has been raised from 20 to something higher? Has the limit been removed completely?

@YupImMadBro, did you make sure to set the language option appropriately in the installation settings? In the drop down list, the languages are a little less than straightforward (they will be corrected in future builds so as to be user readable) but en_US is the only one that currently works without much trouble.

@Trance, if you let me know what the filename is called, either myself or @mattinm can look into incorporating the Steam version. You will also need to provide the folder structure for the Steam version as I do not have it. Are the language, data, and override folders still the same? If so, then only the executable filename is required. In the next build, it is possible that we may just ignore the need for a filename, but make a check with the user to see if it is the right folder (e.g. if [SteamBaldur].exe is not found, error message: "Are you sure this is the correct directory?" if yes continue as normal, if no then allow the user to re-pick; if it is found, continue as normal).

@CromIronside, for permanent effect, that would probably need to go into the affects tab (I can get the data for you) similarly to the additional spell slot in the high level abilities or Ring of Wizardry. As far as I can tell, most of those details are dealt with using the tables in-game, so while you can change them in EE Keeper for your current level, they would change when the game reads the tables for the next level. If that feature is going to be a problem (i.e. won't work), I may simply disable it until the character is at the maximum level.

@Rynchenzo, and thank you for the comment :).
  • revaarrevaar Member Posts: 160
    edited March 2013
    First of all, @Troodon80, Thank you so very much for all your work in bringing this to BG:EE. I am excited looking forward to editing some of the NPC's so they are more... interesting.

On that note, I am a *complete* noob when it comes to this sort of stuff. I am running BGEE Keeper 1.0.0 on Mac via wineskin, and I'm not quite sure how to actually do anything. Is there a walkthrough/tutorial on how to do simple things, like changing an NPC's class/kit? I had been trying to change some kits, but when i saved and loaded, all I saw were different words on the Character Record and nothing different when it comes to abilities etc.

Also, where do i find the list of Kit id's? I added Dwarven Defender based on the second post of this thread, but I'd also like to add Sun Soul, etc.

Thanks again!
  • ParaspriteParasprite Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2013
    @Troodon80, I do not know of the limit in the original game, but I know this was at least something that was an issue with Gate Keeper.

From http://www.mud-master.com/shadowkeeper/index.html
    May 27, 2001 - Version 2.0.2

I took the name length validation off. You can still only type a name as long as 20 characters; it just won't warn you. This gets rid of the problem where picking a String Reference greater than 20 characters caused that warning to appear.
    As for the current name limit, there doesn't appear to be any sort of upper limit in making PCs in EE.

However, after saving the game normally the name was truncated to 32 characters upon loading.
    ermoEudaemonium
  • TranceTrance Member Posts: 2
    @Troodon80
    I PMed you the Steam Filelist but incase someone else wanna have a look aswell, heres a Txt file:
    ErgGrieg
    @revaar, if you look at the first post, there should be a PDF document linked there. That document will give you the basics of general usage, but if you need specifics feel free to ask :).

Certain aspects are not immediate, Innate abilities are only gained as your character increases in level within the game. If you want to add abilities to your character, then you must go to the Innate tab, press the button labelled Kit, then select the kit (abilities) you want to add between a certain set of levels. So, for example, if I wanted to change Rasaad to a Sun Soul Monk and add the abilities ascoiated with that class, I would go to the Innate tab, click on Kit, select Sun Soul Monk, and click OK (this will add all the abilities from level 1 to 100) - those abilities are Flaming Fists, Greater Sun, Lay On Hands, Sun Soulbeam, and Sun Soulray.

At a later date, I may include this as a feature whereby it automatically looks at your current level and selected kit, then adds all the abilities up to that point (but I'm not sure, that might just be too much work, since not everything is based on the kit).

To view the IDS files, you will need something like DLTCEP or NearInfinity. The file you will need to look at is KITS.IDS, as mentioned in the second post.

The updated kits are included in the latest build (which you can download in the first post, just use the kits.uld file and discard the rest).

The kit values are as follows (Blackguard is already included, but I listed it regardless), just in case you don't want to have to download one of those two programs:

Blackguard, 0x40200000,
    Shadowdancer, 0x40210000,
    Dwarven Defender, 0x40220000,
    Dragon Disciple, 0x40230000,
    Dark Moon Monk, 0x40240000,
    Sun Soul Monk, 0x40250000.

I think that is all of the new ones.

I do plan in implementing a form of auto-updating for the program and kits, but that will probably be a while.
    revaar
    edited March 2013
    @YupImMadBro, did you make sure to set the language option appropriately in the installation settings? In the drop down list, the languages are a little less than straightforward (they will be corrected in future builds so as to be user readable) but en_US is the only one that currently works without much trouble.

@Troodon80 Where do I select the language?
    @YupImMadBro, you can find the options in 'Settings,' click on 'Installation Directory...,' from there you can select one of the language options from the drop down list as shown here.
    Troodon80 said:

@YupImMadBro, you can find the options in 'Settings,' click on 'Installation Directory...,' from there you can select one of the language options from the drop down list as shown here.

Got it to work, Thanks a lot!
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    Thanks, that really helps a lot.
    Surprised to see SK is still working now
    I am running EE on XP SP3, I'll let you know if there's any bug I encounter.
  • NyxlNyxl Member Posts: 34
    @Troodon80 I am getting http 403 errors whenever I try to access EE Keeper on SourceForge. Is there something to forbid access to specific countries or providers? Or is it (most likely) because I'm doing wrong or I'm not doing something I should? :-p
    @Nyxl, try it now :).
    Nyxl
  • mattinmmattinm Member Posts: 18
    For anyone interested in the Qt stuff, it's currently under a branch called qt on the Sourceforge repository, if it's generally accessible now. Hopefully it finishes up relatively quickly now that it's out there.

Not the sexiest code by any means, but it's getting there!
    Nifft
    @Parasprite I've been looking at some of the structures from the original Shadow Keeper during conversion, and there a quite a few places that were "unknown" during original creation that are now documented at IEDSP. One of those is the name, where an "unknown" section after the name in the structure for PCs is actually the rest of the 32-byte max length.

My main focus right now is to help finish converting what is there, but my next goal is to go through the structures and fill in the blanks were possible. One big thing that I noticed is with regards to character flags, specifically dual-classing and item identification, just going through cursory. If I read the code correctly (don't have the original in front of me), it wouldn't be able to see if you dual-classed from Ranger to Cleric, it'd only see a Ranger/Cleric multi.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    @Troodon80
    The original shadowkeeper (in my case anyway) had a problem with assigning kits with inherent abilities where it wouldn't give those abilities if you changed someone's kit.

For example, changing Keldorn from an inquisitor to an undead hunter didn't give him immunity to level drain, though it did give all other abilities (the 'active' ones, not the 'passive' ones) properly.
    Do you know if this has been fixed?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Drugar The trick in this case is to delete all abilities and set the level to 0. In game level up and everything will be correct but the HP. Then you have to remove the extra HP you got for leveling in EEkeeper and have fun.
    Drugar
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Ahh, thank you sir!
    mlnevese
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Drugar Notice the have fun part... if you´re not having fun you did something wrong :)
    RadhamanthysDrugar
  • jyoandbeanjyoandbean Member Posts: 1
    I keep getting an error message.
    Shadow kepeer was unable to locate or opem some of the .uld files. these files are required. Make sure that the following files are in the same directory.

it continues to list some.

now i know i chose the wrong file with the exe in it at the beginning but i can't get it to even let me change it. whenever i try to open it i get this error every time. I've never used anything like this so I'm sorry for the stupidity but please i need some assistance.
    @jyoandbean, you need to make sure the ULD files that come with EE Keeper are all included in whatever directory you extract the program to.

As long as Affects.uld, Kits.uld, and NumAttacks.uld are in the same directory as EEKeeper.exe, the program should run fine.

Can you clarify that this is the case?
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    edited April 2013
    Hey guys,

I just dowloaded EnhancedKeeper (yup, i like that name), set the Installation Directory & language, but whenever I try clicking on "Open Saved Game", EEKeeper just crashes (actually, it seems to be too tough for my computer and the application is not responding afterwards).

Strangely enough, I don't have this issue when I chose "Open Character File".

Any idea what might be the problem ? I suspect my very old and slow computer to have something to do with this ;) Just hoping to find a way to solve it.

EDIT : ok, i tried modifying a character file. When I tried to save, same thing happened, the app is no longer responding.
    Is this application running on steroids or something ? It seems too hard to handle for my poor 10 years old computer !
    @monico, couple questions:
    1. Are you able to bring up the open save game dialog - the window that shows all the save games? or;
    2. Does the crash/unresponsiveness occur as soon as you click the open button?
    3. Is there any sort of error message?
    4. What is your operating system (hardware specs, too, if you know them)?
    It's a small program and shouldn't have any trouble running on just about any computer, but it is a possibility.
    Troodon80 said:

@monico, couple questions:

1. Are you able to bring up the open save game dialog - the window that shows all the save games? or;
    2. Does the crash/unresponsiveness occur as soon as you click the open button?
    3. Is there any sort of error message?
    4. What is your operating system (hardware specs, too, if you know them)?
    It's a small program and shouldn't have any trouble running on just about any computer, but it is a possibility.
    The unresponsiveness occurs as soon as I click the open button. No error message, the app just doesn't respond anymore.

I turn on Windows XP (what other hardware specs would be useful to you ?)
    @monico, it runs fine on my Windows XP SP2 machine. Do you have the Visual Studio C++ Redistributable (2008 and 2010, since it is XP I've linked the x86 versions) package installed?

(I assume you probably do, but it doesn't hurt to ask. If you are unsure, try downloading and installing them.)
    edited April 2013
    Well, just to be sure, I downloaded and installed them. Still ain't working.

I'm not an expert on computers and stuff, any idea why my computer is lagging when I try to use EE Keeper ? I mean, it's weird that I can play games (although with low graphics and stuff) but can't run a smaller application...
    @Troodon80 and I are still working through a few things, but if anyone is interested in trying a MacOSX version of EEKeeper (still very much in Alpha/Beta, as things are added, expanded upon), send me a PM. I'd like to give the auto-bundler DMG a test out in the field to see if I have to change it up.

Thanks!
  • nsrnsr Member Posts: 174
    is there a way to configure the Documents directory now? I tried the latest version and it can't find my save games anymore. Also, the source code appears to be private, so I'm not sure what's wrong