Skip to content

Drow, for and against.

MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
I thought the thread on Drow was quite interesting but I was surprised by how many people were actually against their implementation. This poll will not add to the argument of whether or not they should be added to the game, I'm just nosey.
  1. Drow, for and against.338 votes
    1. I want playable Drow
      55.33%
    2. I don't want playable Drow
      44.67%
Ophlyummch202gimoxskyline818

Comments

• wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    I am against it as I think Drow are only really accepted in the Icewind Dale area do to Drizzt Do'urden. They are quite vile and evil and BG doesn't really support their style of evil. They would exploit the war and make profits even if they weren't trying to participate, nothing in Baldur's Gate even allows you to really profit off the whole disaster.
    RazorAnduine
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    just look at what i use as portraits.... http://talvrae.deviantart.com/favourites/?offset=24#/d1yjcp1
    booinyoureyes
    wariisop said:

I am against it as I think Drow are only really accepted in the Icewind Dale area do to Drizzt Do'urden. They are quite vile and evil and BG doesn't really support their style of evil. They would exploit the war and make profits even if they weren't trying to participate, nothing in Baldur's Gate even allows you to really profit off the whole disaster.

You obviously completelly unaware of the cult's of Elistrae and Vaheraun
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I don't want playable drow, not because I dislike the race, but rather because of plot issues.
    KenDiscoCatbooinyoureyes

I don't want playable drow, not because I dislike the race, but rather because of plot issues.

Why would it? we would not be raised as drow, we would be raised as Gorion ward... raised as a surfacer and by the fact that there is good drow on the surface at that time, and that we are raised as Gorion ward it's as open as any other race
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    ''If they were allowed to make changes to existing NPC dialog, quests and the like to reflect our main character being a Drow, then I'd be for it.''
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Drow will outshine any race, because of the unique reaction towards it, so Im against.
    Drows are rare and unique in the surface world, thats why we love them, thats why they should stay this way.
    NWN_babaYaga
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited August 2012
    @Talvrae I'd suggest that rules are almost defined by the existence of their exceptions, people wouldn't be welcoming. Though being raised by Gorion, the child should should in all probability be good. (see the endless nature vs nuture monologues in the Drizzt books.)
    Well, there aren't many votes yet so I shouldn't speak so soo - I'd been operating under the delusion that things were skewed towards "for." I'm really liking all of the arguments "against" though!
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232

''If they were allowed to make changes to existing NPC dialog, quests and the like to reflect our main character being a Drow, then I'd be for it.''

That's the problem exactly. Most people hate and distrust the Drow (for good reason) and so would at the least be rude to you, and perhaps even try to kill you. Don't even bother trying to talk to surface elves.
    Drizzt (or Fizzy according to autocorrect) is the exception, he spent years proving to others that he wasn't evil so they would trust him, and even then has trouble whenever traveling outside of Icewind Dale.
    So without significant NPC dialogue changes it's hard to see using Drow as a playable race.
    Moomintroll

(see the endless nature vs nuture monologues in the Drizzt books.)

well now i would suggest you to read Lady Penitent Trilogy on that
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    Hm. I would support it in an ideal world of infinite resources, but you would have to edit a lot of dialogue to make it work properly so I'm leaning towards no. I will refrain from voting for now until I have heard more arguments.
    Moomintroll
  • wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    @Talvrae

You mean these cult which specifically say evil.

Vhaeraun (the Masked One)
    Minor power of the abyss, NE (All evil for the worshippers)
    Spheres of influence : drows males, thefts and evil activities on the surface
    Symbol : an half black mask,
    Requierments : standards, drow males only
    Weapons allowed : all
    Armors allowed : no armors are allowed ot a specialty priest of Vhaeraun
    Major shperes : all, combat, elemental, gardian, healing, necomancy, charm
    Minor spheres: divination, protection, time

Or this God which is dead.

Eilistraee (I): Goddess of song, beauty, dance, swordwork, hunting, moonlight. Beheaded with the Crescent Blade wielded by Halisstra Melarn (the Lady Penitent) under the influence of Lolth.[36] (now a dead power).

There is a reason why the past Good Drow are all but a forgotten legend by the Time of Troubles. I am sorry to say, for this game your "good" Drow don't really exist except for Drizzt.

@warissop Elistraee and Vaheraaun where well alive after the time of trouble, they died in the transit betwen the 3rd edition and 4th edition, not betwen first and 2... Vaheraun is an evil drow, but it's not Lolth cleargy and the cult is surface based, it's not the same kind of evil
    Wether Drow are evil or not doesn't matter. It is people's perception of the Drow that matter, at least in game. People of the BG world perceive Drow as evil, so the NPCs should act accordingly. The average commoner isn't going to know anything about Drow Gods or politics, just that he heard tales of Drow coming out of caves at night and slaughtering people, then laughing.
    Moomintroll
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I don't see why not. The biggest problem, as others have stated before, is that the NPCs won't react to you being a drow properly. But I guess they can make it so that if you play a drow, you'd have a -10 penalty to reputation at the start.
    Alvpojk
    Awong124 said:

I don't see why not. The biggest problem, as others have stated before, is that the NPCs won't react to you being a drow properly. But I guess they can make it so that if you play a drow, you'd have a -10 penalty to reputation at the start.

That's an idea.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @wariisop
    Ellistrae was alive at the time the Baldur's Gate games took place.

As for the poll, my opinion is that sometimes gameplay should take precedence over lore, so I'd like to see all the subraces of IWD2 being added to the game (including Drow and Duergar). I even have less of an issue with lore problems when PhillipDaigle mentioned that if subraces are added this will only happen in a post-release DLC.
    TalvraeKamigoroshipurebredcorn
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    I don't care, since I don't want to play as a Drow personally, but BG was great because you can make your own character from scratch, so why not? Plot issues can be solved, even with DLCs. It would be more challenging actually.
    Talvrae
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    These Drow threads are invoking so much Hype Backlash: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HypeBacklash
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, I personally don't want to play as a drow, so I don't really care. Drugar makes some very good points against it though. I guess it really doesn't make sense to make it available roleplaying-wise the way BG currently is. But I don't see a big problem in implementing it if people just want to play as a drow for the abilities and characteristics they have. The developers could just implement a reputation penalty like I suggested. It's not perfect, but shouldn't be difficult to do if some people really want to play as a drow and don't mind the roleplaying experience feeling somewhat inauthentic. And it would probably be pretty cool to complete quests and your reputation slowly goes up and you see NPCs' reaction towards you slowly change as you make a name for yourself.
    Simply having viconia gived -2 to reputation... do the same like @Awong124 suggest
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    VOTING FAIL!
    I definitely want a drow as well as other subraces as playable race. DON'T mind my vote because I super failed XD
    edited August 2012

VOTING FAIL!
    I definitely want a drow as well as other subraces as playable race. DON'T mind my vote because I super failed XD

meaning it's a tie, so far
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited August 2012
    I would like to see playable Drow, although there are some problems with implementing them and making sense.

However, having problems because of reactions or being a drow not making sense, let me ask you this :

It's ok to be a blackguard under Gorion's tutelage?

You will be a champion of evil, and i don't know about you, but the Blackguard i know is a champion of evil that declares it and is spoted by his evil deity's symbol and his malefic aura, people are gonna be ok with you prancing around their town? Unless this Blackguard is vastly different, it should cause problems as well.

And as for everyone reacting to you, why should they, do they react towards Viconia? Keldorn in BG2 has a problem with it and Aerie, but no one refuses to give you quests because you have Viconia with you. No one even mentions you have a drow with you, you just get -2 reputation and that's it.

You could start at a lower reputation and have a penalty with bargaining until your rep is normal.
    Talvrae
    @Dazzu how do you mean?
  • seekaseeka Member Posts: 53
    There wasn't a 3rd option, it doesn't bother me either way. But a lot of people would love to play drow, and if they can come up with a mechanic for making it work (such as the lower reputation, npc's reacting, etc) then why not? I'm not really fond of playing them, but it sounds like a lot of people would really like the option.
    NWN_babaYaga
    @seeka what would your third option have been?
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited August 2012
    Ok, but you play with a fixed reputation of 0 whatever you do, hostile guards spawn every time you enter a city, and everyone is hostile and/or running from you all the time save for main quest-critical characters and maybe a select few evil NPCs. That's the only way it'd remotely make sense in the game world. Would it be unplayable? Yes. Is it a good idea? No.
    Moomintroll