Skip to content

Do you use the Cursed Berserking +3 Two Handed Sword?

deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
It being cursed always scared me away from using it, but tonight I gave it to Minsc and let him rip. I think it is adding a bit more difficulty to the game which I am enjoying.

So I am wondering, does anyone else use this sword, and if so what strategy do you use to prevent it from all going horribly wrong?
  1. Do you use the Cursed Berserking +3 Two Handed Sword?178 votes
    1. Yes, I use the sword a lot.
        3.93%
    2. I use it only on certain playthroughs
      12.92%
    3. I used it once and never touched the thing again
      20.22%
    4. I have never used the sword.
      54.49%
    5. What? Bhaaldog didn't make this poll; or *mystery option*
        8.43%
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
TJ_HookerJuliusBorisov

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Before Dorn, I never had anyone with a prof for 2H swords. And Dorn has the Rancor, no need to switch it out.
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    Sounds like it turns the wielder into something akin to the 2ed Battlerager kit with its' near permanent berserking. Might try it equipped with Kagain next time I play BG:EE.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Yep. To prevent Shar-Teel from murdering the entire party, I'd just move everybody awaaaaay from her. :D ...or quick-save before she finished saying "Eat steel, scum!", and then quick-reload.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    Nope, never. I like being in control of my party!
    atcDavesecretmantraSindyanElrandir
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    To make a poll... like this?

To give me food for thought... like this?

To give Minsc a sword... like this?

To give a cursed sword to a goody-goody... like this?

To entirely reduce the population of Beregost, Nashkel and the city of BG... like this?

To make Minsc more fiendish than Sarevok... like this?

Emm...

To grossly violate copyrights of Bhaaldog... like this?

To be scared... like this?
    DjimmyChildofBhaal599elminster
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    The risk associated with going berserk is bad enough, but what really sealed the deal for me is that you can't swap weapons. Want to quickly switch to a ranged weapon? Not happening, unless you have Remove Curse memorized at all times.
    SCARY_WIZARD
    edited April 2013
    bengoshi said:

To make a poll... like this?

To give me food for thought... like this?

To give Minsc a sword... like this?

To give a cursed sword to a goody-goody... like this?

To entirely reduce the population of Beregost, Nashkel and the city of BG... like this?

To make Minsc more fiendish than Sarevok... like this?

Emm...

To grossly violate copyrights of Bhaaldog... like this?

To be scared... like this?

And then bengoshi was a zombie under the control of Viconia DeVir.
    TJ_Hooker said:

The risk associated with going berserk is bad enough, but what really sealed the deal for me is that you can't swap weapons. Want to quickly switch to a ranged weapon? Not happening, unless you have Remove Curse memorized at all times.

Oh, yeah. Whew, thank you for reminding me why I got rid of that thing! I have Shar-Teel fire a couple of "warning shots" with a crossbow before having her close the distance. Couldn't do that with this sword. It truly is a curse!
    TJ_Hookerelminster
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    EudaemoniumSilverstarReadingRamboDragonspear
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Not being able to switch to range is a draw back but I can live with it as my main is an Archer atm.
    I am usually having Minsc scout ahead of the party so if he does go berserk before battle I can get the party safely away.
    The sword is really no different than Minsc's rage ability already so it is almost like having that 24/7.
    Haven't done confined spaces yet like the mines with it. May change my mind on the thing then.

@bhaaldog. the pup even looks like Imoen.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Does anyone know the actual effects of berserk from cursed weapons (other than losing control of the character), or Minsc's ability for that matter? Are the benefits similar to those of the Berserker kit's ability?
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    @TJ_Hooker: I believe that it is indeed similar.
    Immune to charm, morale failure etc.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    you don't get any bonuses to hit and damage though. i had the idea of a half-orc kensai wielding this sword, but it didn't work out
    @TJ_hooker. The sword doesn't give you a HP boost or the plus to attack and damage, there is also no winded period after going berserk. After a slight testing, he does seem to be immune to Hold and Sleep. May take him over to the Sirens and see if he is immune to their charm for a real test.

He also only seems to go berserk when their are enemies around. The rest of the time he is fine. Going to be interesting during the next city assassination attempt though.
    TJ_HookerQuartz
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited April 2013
    Lol yeah, I had Minsc swing it around for a while on one occasion. Somewhat entertaining.
  • MorvianMorvian Member Posts: 24
    I've used it in a few games. Always with my PC. Because if someone's going to go nuts and kill everything it might as well be me. Plus that way the game doesn't end afterward.

As others have mentioned, you don't get extra HP or the +damage and +hit. I believe you do still get the immunities, as well as getting the chance to wield a +3 weapon early in the game. I wouldn't bother using it after you can get a normal +3 weapon though.
    TJ_Hooker
    Morvian said:

I've used it in a few games. Always with my PC. Because if someone's going to go nuts and kill everything it might as well be me. Plus that way the game doesn't end afterward.

As others have mentioned, you don't get extra HP or the +damage and +hit. I believe you do still get the immunities, as well as getting the chance to wield a +3 weapon early in the game. I wouldn't bother using it after you can get a normal +3 weapon though.

"Hail, noble drow!"
    "Gnolls. Halp?"
    /slk slk slsh slng hrrk whnk whk whk shng
    "You killed Drizzt, I'm telling."

And then CHARNAME got Drizzt's swords after they accidentally Drizzt Do'Urden.
    Southpaw
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I've used it. I gave it to Minsc and hide and let him go slay stuff. He is really powerful with it. Just make sure you remove curse it from him before you end up fighting in close quarters (like a surprise ambush) or he'll continue his berserk rage into whatever's nearby such as civilians and other party members.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    ...gave it to Minsc a couple of times. Just for giggles. He seemed to like it even when he started drooling and wet his pants.
    Usually removed it after a while when the berserking has gone counter-productive...
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I use it... Only when I have a cleric with remove curse... and before Spiderbane you find in Coakwood.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Southpaw said:

...gave it to Minsc a couple of times. Just for giggles. He seemed to like it even when he started drooling and wet his pants.
    Usually removed it after a while when the berserking has gone counter-productive...

Emphasis mine.

...What?
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I had a go with it in a game way back when. I thought it would be interesting to try but, same is Minsc's special ability, it proved too difficult to manage to be practical. I thought it might be fun to try, but it made it too difficult to coordinate combat for the whole party.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Just out of curiosity (I have never equipped the sword), if you were to solo the game (or otherwise dismiss everyone so that only Charname remains in the party) and equip it to Charname, would it end the game? Or would you be locked and have to exit out?

Just out of curiosity (I have never equipped the sword), if you were to solo the game (or otherwise dismiss everyone so that only Charname remains in the party) and equip it to Charname, would it end the game? Or would you be locked and have to exit out?

You only go berserk during combat. So no it wouldn't be end game, but since you wouldn't be able to control your solo player during combat, it might as well be.
    edited April 2013
    @deltago - thanks. Learned something new about the game today.

And it makes me wonder if anyone has tried that as a challenge. Get the +3 cursed berzerking sword while playing solo and finish the game with it.
    edited April 2013
    As I mentioned in the other thread, if you get ambushed you will attack everything forever until it's all dead. not good for say going into a tavern and getting into a fight because once that initial ambush is over, you don't stop until everything is dead. Wouldn't work well in the taverns initial ambushes in Beregost or of the top of my head the fights with Slythe or whatever in that place in BG. Or when Sarevok starts attacking and all the dopplegangers appear and all the innocent people including the dukes are nearby that will end the game if they both die.
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
    @smeagolheart - I get that. it would be kind of like playing Elric. Probably wouldn't get very far, but it could be fun on the way down. :)

As I mentioned in the other thread, if you get ambushed you will attack everything forever until it's all dead. not good for say going into a tavern and getting into a fight because once that initial ambush is over, you don't stop until everything is dead. Wouldn't work well in the taverns initial ambushes in Beregost or of the top of my head the fights with Slythe or whatever in that place in BG. Or when Sarevok starts attacking and all the dopplegangers appear and all the innocent people including the dukes are nearby that will end the game if they both die.

I think you will attack all hostile creatures until they are dead. One of the things that I found while testing immunities to spells is that, if you make targets go unhostile (sleep, charm), the rage will stop. The rage also stops if you put the cursed person out of their misery. So if they start getting out of hand, put a couple of arrows in them and take them to the nearest temple for a raise

You do however run the risk of attacking a commoner and then they all turn hostile and start running away and having your character blindly run after them slaughtering them to bits and watching your rep drop faster than something that drops fast. That is what makes soloing with the sword next to impossible.
    deltago said:

I think you will attack all hostile creatures until they are dead. One of the things that I found while testing immunities to spells is that, if you make targets go unhostile (sleep, charm), the rage will stop. The rage also stops if you put the cursed person out of their misery. So if they start getting out of hand, put a couple of arrows in them and take them to the nearest temple for a raise

You do however run the risk of attacking a commoner and then they all turn hostile and start running away and having your character blindly run after them slaughtering them to bits and watching your rep drop faster than something that drops fast. That is what makes soloing with the sword next to impossible.
    Correct @deltago but the question @the_spyder asked was, "was it possible to solo the game using the cursed sword?" I can't imagine a way to make everyone go non-hostile while your one solo character is attacking everyone in sight and you don't have control of him.

There are quite a few "game over" situations including pretty much anytime you would get in a fight where there are innocent bystanders (like in those situations I outlined). Your dude won't stop raging until everyone's dead and he realizes what he's done as he is gnawing on a cadaver's leg bone.

It's kind of like how the Hulk would operate.
    LOL. I think I have to try this now. I will make a Half-Orc Killing machine, I mean Fighter. Chaotic Evil just so he doesn't regret his actions. Have him focus on two handed sword and then see what happens. I'd bet he dies a bunch of times but I am going to see how far I can get and how long I can survive. I get that it is going to be REALLY hard and probably REALLY boneheaded. But I really gotta try now.
    helmo1977gouken510