Skip to content

What's the newest thing you've learned about BG?

Every day you should learn something new. What have you learned today?

I learned that.... The Cursed Sword of Berserking grants you the same immunities as Minsc's ability

I've also learned that... there IS a difference between the Black and Brown Bear shapeshifting forms (-1AC)

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    that some players have way too much time on their hands???

(joke.. No offense intended to anyone)
  • LockLock Member Posts: 84
    There are basilisks on the roof of Durlag's Tower - no idea how I went so long without ever finding the door to the roof. I accidently walked through it on a hardcore run and got a nasty surprise.
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Siren's are still deadly after you silence them. My poor barby....
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Darts really are awesome.
  • dawnlancedawnlance Member Posts: 25
    Sometimes charname needs to be bold in conversation, for example, with Tenya and Neera.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Not today, but recently:

I never knew there was a chest with a dagger in the priest quarters in Candlekeep (first assassin). Maybe I did know back in vanilla, but I only (re)discovered it in BGEE this week. Sure, it's just a dagger, but still.

If you have very high charisma, Petrine's father does give you the cloak of protection for killing the cat. I thought he'd always say "ok, so I lied" and was very surprised to really get the cloak.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Falling cows spell....
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I learned about sirines being immune to silence the hard way. Had silence, 15' radius, cast, and it did not help. Grr!
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Most recently? Hmm.... I think it was probably that Sanctuary doesn't cancel when you open containers, unlike Invisibility.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    Pantalion said:

Most recently? Hmm.... I think it was probably that Sanctuary doesn't cancel when you open containers, unlike Invisibility.

Thanks, I didn't realise that, you can't backstab from Sanctuary, though, nor do you get any stealth bonus to hit. It's still very nice for cleric/thieves, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SidemiSidemi Member Posts: 70
    Haven't played in a while and this is nothing new to me but... Did you know that you can't transform your party members into squirrels? That's really sad, you know? I wanted to torture my friend - no effect.
    Then, Aerie with that "my wings here, my wings there, blah blah blah" "Shut up, Aerie, you are a squirrel! Squirrels don't talk! Go play with Boo."
    BG would be a completely different game if I could do this.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    @CamDawg do you know the exact effects of berserk from the the cursed weapons, and Minsc's ability? Are either similar to the ability of the Berserker kit?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Tyranus said:

Every day you should learn something new. What have you learned today?

I learned that.... The Cursed Sword of Berserking grants you the same immunities as Minsc's ability

I've also learned that... there IS a difference between the Black and Brown Bear shapeshifting forms (-1AC)

Yes. I have taken minsc with the cursed beserking sword and turned him loose on sirens and he doesn't get charmed. You just have to stand back and watch him hack hack hack
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    The sword just puts the creature into a berserked state. I can't remember if berserk provides charm immunity, or if the charm works but has no practical result since a berserked creature ignores their script.

Minsc's berserk is closer to berserker enrage/barbarian rage--in addition to berserking, it also provides explicit immunities to fear, feeblemind, hold, sleep, maze, confusion, and charm.

So yeah, the sword will protect against sirine's charm but not, say, a ghast's paralyzation. A berserking Minsc should be fine against a ghast's paralyze, unless the berserk state does a lot more than I think it does.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    CamDawg said:

So yeah, the sword will protect against sirine's charm but not, say, a ghast's paralyzation. A berserking Minsc should be fine against a ghast's paralyze, unless the berserk state does a lot more than I think it does.

Just tested it. Minsc gets paralyzed while raging with the sword against ghasts. I think it may only be spell's that the berserk state from the sword ignores.
    I learned two new things about the game today.

1) People are OBSESSED with killing Drizzts and keep on making redundant threads about the topic.

2) If you equip the Cursed Berzerking sword, it only zerks during combat. Which makes me wonder if you could actually finish the game while using it.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

1) People are OBSESSED with killing Drizzts and keep on making redundant threads about the topic.

2) If you equip the Cursed Berzerking sword, it only zerks during combat. Which makes me wonder if you could actually finish the game while using it.

#2 would be highly difficult.

Consider some maps are really small and once the guy (let's call him Minsc) wielding the sword isn't going to stop.

This can get problematic if you are traveling - bam random encounter. Minsc isn't going to stop after the enemies are dead.

I say I have used Minsc effectively against sirines (and flesh golems) on lighthouse map. He can get frozen by carrior crawlers
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    That when Dorn, (Same for Neera or Rasad) get petrified, and you take the time to restore them with a stone to flesh scroll, they instantly tell me what a big mistake it is to drop them and disappear to the friendly arm in... Bit of bother in the middle of Durlags when there carrying the ward stones and quest related items... Come back Dorn! I don't actually need you... Just your backpack!
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Nishruus have a small, castable selection of spells in BG2.

#2 would be highly difficult.

Consider some maps are really small and once the guy (let's call him Minsc) wielding the sword isn't going to stop.

This can get problematic if you are traveling - bam random encounter. Minsc isn't going to stop after the enemies are dead.

I say I have used Minsc effectively against sirines (and flesh golems) on lighthouse map. He can get frozen by carrior crawlers
    Oh, I totally get that it would be difficult. Isn't that what these challenge players play on? Besides, i was thinking that someone (probably not me) would play it solo so they wouldn't have to worry about friendly fire. I think it would be quite fun if short lived. he would either die very quickly or at least it would be a very bloody rise to power.
  • cyberhoracyberhora Member Posts: 10
    Blackrazor and sword of the mask can destroy loot. Thank god for realoads.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    cyberhora said:

Blackrazor and sword of the mask can destroy loot. Thank god for realoads.

How do they destroy loot? If you kill the enemy through level drain?
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    There's a guy living in Beregost, waiting for you to return his family's bloodstone amulet to him (though any bloodstone amulet will do). Never knew that was there until BG:EE specifically dropped an amulet for him in the area two clicks south of Beregost.