Skip to content

Rasaad yn Bashir

Comments

• XezmeraudeXezmeraude Member Posts: 91
    @trinit

Theres no real need to explain our levels. 2nd edition never had those leveling status. That was implemented in 4th editon to that extent. Theres just no point to it. Who really cares whose a demigod at level 30. Nothing exactly reflects why he/she should be. Otherwise every minor person who isnt considered godly but is level 30+ would have to be considered a demigod then. This part of D&D is more twoards a roleplay style rather than merit for hey you are 30 now. You are a god! it just doesnt have any point to the game of baldur's gate series. Of course you are a bhaalspawn. But theres just no point for it at all. Its way too minor of a thing to consider implementing.

Gotcha on the HLAs lol

Cloud Peaks are around Icewind Dales areas. But IWD is its own story not even connected with Baldurs Gate at all. Its Two different parallel universes so what happened in one story never existed in the other.
    Its like trying to say Baldur's gate is based off the books. Yes some of the lore is about Abdel Adrians pilgrimage to remove or become the taint of Bhaal. But it doesnt cannonly follow it. Yeah The combat in IWD was different than in BG series. But it had its own charm to still be a great part of biowares success.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    It would not make sense for Baldur's gate to be based on the Baldur's gate novelisation as the latter was published after (and based on) the former. Do the forgotten realms books inform the games published after them? yes.
    I have read all the novels. Yes the game is based on the lore. But isnt exatly following in Abdels footsteps as its been changed to be its own story so its not plagurizing off the book which wasnt allowed But Bioware was authorized to have permission to make their own spin off of his pilgrimage by allowing it to be within its own universe by allowing the player (you) to make a whole new person to make different choices based on what Abdel couldve done if he chose not to do what He cannonly followed in the book.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    we are off topic enough- lets get back to mr Bashir and his areas/quests/inner light :P
    So did the concept of Abdel exist before the game? (at the risk of derailing this discussion)
  • ShrimpShrimp Member Posts: 142
    @Xezmeraude Yep, the monk HLAs were in Oversight. Some of them may seem a bit overpowered at first, but they're all pretty fun, and make the monk more interesting than just "hit it until it dies".

As for Rasaad, at least he sounds like he'll be recruitable pretty early (his bio mentions him being in Nashkel), so I'll probably give him a try in my first game and see if/how they changed anything. I hope the inclusion of a monk NPC means we'll get more specialized equipment (and not Rasaad-only, please).
    edited August 2012
    Hard to say. Monks usually use whatever is logical to them within the games boundaries of gear. Im sure they will implement monk style weapons and armors specifically for them. But its hard to say as the IE is very limited to what it an have made in the game. We will have to see when the games out what can be done to keep monks from being a weaponless and weaker fighter.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Moomintroll As a point of fact, the game came out November 30th, 1998 (source: Wikipedia), while the novel didn't come out until June of 1999 (also Wikipedia). So, the novel was based on the game, and not vice versa. Wikipedia also says the book was based on the game.

I wonder where they are going to place the areas related to Rasaad yn Bashir? I looked on my maps, but the Sword Coast, especially around Baldur's Gate, isn't that hilly and/or mountainous. There's the Far Hills (near Hillsfar) and some hilly/high areas near Boareskyr Bridge. I am guessing the Cloud Peaks, north of Athkatla.
    in any case, allow me to say again i look forward to his romance and hope that this relates to him :)
    @trinit So far, they are only showing Neeva as a romanceable character in the writeup for her.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    @LadyRhian
    Philip Daigle said somewhere that that's because her romance is completely finished at the moment, the others are still being written and hence don't get listed. Just in case.
    @LadyRhian hm, trent claimed all three characters will be romanceable. it's even in the LIST OF THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED thread. :)
    @Drugar hm, interesting, didn't know that. well i hope there wont be any "case" :deathstare:
  • AlparonAlparon Member Posts: 58
    I always wanted a Monk companion :)
    @Drugar I guess male romance options are easier to write? As long as Rasaad and Dorn don't insult me, I am willing to wait and see what comes of their romances...

@Trinit I know, but I was disappointed not to see the others listed as romanceable yet. Still hoping for a romanceable Minsc and Solaufein... :)
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    The cloud peaks is the mountain range south of Nashkel, but the old bg1 map cuts off right at that point. Maybe it is possible that they are making a more compact map that stretches a little farther southward to the cloud peaks?
  • seekaseeka Member Posts: 53
    @LadyRhian Minsc and Sola? I approve.

I'm hopeful about the new romances in general. Granted Anomen set the bar so low... Just don't be a sexist jerk and it's an improvement. One character was described in a tweet as "romantically challenged", which could mean just about anything. But would still be better than a pompous ass who cannot believe a woman competent outside of the kitchen.

@trinit I'd love to see that it's Rasaad's romance as well. I think he'd be a nice surprise since a lot of people seem to think it will be Neera.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    seeka said:

I think he'd be a nice surprise since a lot of people seem to think it will be Neera.

Ah, old school homophobic sexism. Lesbians are ok (because its hawt) but you can never have gay male characters.

@LordsDarkKnight185 It makes me sad how true that statement is.
    i really hope they prove us wrong. we have had enough of bad examples from industry handling such practices although lately situation is getting a bit better. please beamdog, lets skip the past 10 years and jump into 2012... :/
    @Seeka Testify! When I first played through the romance with Anomen, I was grinding my teeth. That line about "How could you possibly have done all that, you're a woman!" made me want to smack him straight into next week (Or go super-snarky. "Yeah, Captain Obvious, I'm a woman. What gave it away? The breasts?") And then when you say "Well, I had help from my companions." and he concedes, "Okay, then I guess it's possible..." Argh! He would never be able to engender children. Ever. Because I'd knee him so hard they'd be lodged in the space where his brain should have been...
    @LadyRhian lmao That would have been such an awesome response to him and his crap. And he will ask you for an opinio, then yell at you and berate you for it! Doesn't matter how you respond to him, he's going to flake the hell out on you. Several times, I believe. I hate that trend in romances and the mods anyway. It's like the relationship will progress to a certain point. Then the PC has to get yelled at for no reason, and forgive the man for acting a fool. Then the RomanceActive variable can be set to 2, and they can live happily ever after, providing all of Charname's opinions and statements do not offend the NPC.

Man, BG2EE should be great.... cannot wait to hear Rasaad/Dorn banter with Anomen. Dorn + Anomen conflict will be worth the price of the game alone for me.
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    seeka said:

@LadyRhian Man, BG2EE should be great.... cannot wait to hear Rasaad/Dorn banter with Anomen. Dorn + Anomen conflict will be worth the price of the game alone for me.

HOLY MOLEY, YES. To be fair, I'll enjoy ANY conflict with Anomen, but Dorn Vs. Anomen would tickle me pink. Someone needs to put that pompous idiot in his place. =)

I'm hoping the new NPCs and romances carry through to ToB. I enjoy a game that lets me (mostly) keep the same party & romance all the way through. Something about the continuity really appeals to me.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    LadyRhian said:

@trinit So far, they are only showing Neeva as a romanceable character in the writeup for her.

But it has ben stated that all three are romanceable I am pretty sure, and one of them with swing both ways.

@Seeka I hate that. CHARNAME is a strong woman, no matter her class, and to be berated for her opinions and have to apologize to a fool- even as a Lawful Good character, that's just not happening. This isn't a bad 70's romance novel- I don't want an Alphole (Alpha/Asshole) to be my significant other. I want someone who appreciates my strengths for what they are, and appreciates ME on top of it. To be tolerable, Anomen would need to do a ton of apologizing and kissing my ass for his behavior and actions, and show me he really changed his attitude. Otherwise, it's "Here's the curb, let me kick you to it." And even then, that first impression really stayed with me. It's not something easily overcome. Note to the developers: Women have long memories. Making your male romance an ASS is something we don't forget, no matter how lovey-dovey you want us to feel later.

@Ichigo I know. The reason why the others aren't noted as such is because their romance scripts are still being finalized. I wonder why it is easier to write a romance for a male CHARNAME than a female one. Maybe because we women are picky... :)
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    @LadyRhian tell the truth, you are just bitter at Anomen because you secretly long for a Jan romance, I can see it in your eyes.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    @LadyRhian The popularity of Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey make me wonder about that... *headdesk*
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @Joloanthus I'm really not sure what the audience overlap would be between those books and BG.
    @Ichigo My heart will never be swayed from my one true love! When it comes to me TIAX RULES! ;)
    edited August 2012
    They are both so mainstream that everyone should have some familiarity with them. Fifty shades is an erotic fan-fic derived from Twilight, google - gilbert gottfried 50 shades of grey - for a few nsfw extracts.

edit - @Coriander I just realised you were probably being humorous :/