Skip to content

Do You Use Auto-Pause?

LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
Do you regularly play with the Auto-pause feature selected, either for when 'enemy sighted' or 'enemy attacks'? Perhaps you only do for no-reload games (if you ever play them), and if so I've tried to set up the poll options to reflect that.

Edit: Apologies that the options presented here are so limited, and organized around no-reload gaming. I'd never used the option until trying it out just very recently for no-reload games, and because of the limit of ten poll options I chose the two that seemed most critical to survival in a no-reload game. I should have not even bothered with the no-reload options and tried to better represent the various auto-pause options for ordinary gaming. But it looks like folks are still responding with posts that share what they use auto-pause-wise, if the options aren't included.
  1. Do You Use Auto-Pause?87 votes
    1. No, I never use auto-pausing at all, under any circumstance.
      36.78%
    2. I sometimes or always use auto-pause only for 'enemy sighted', in normal gaming.
      19.54%
    3. I sometimes or always use auto-pause only for 'enemy sighted', for no-reload games.
        2.30%
    4. I sometimes or always use auto-pause only for 'enemy attacks', in normal gaming.
        0.00%
    5. I sometimes or always use auto-pause only for 'enemy attacks', for no-reload games.
        0.00%
    6. I sometimes or always use auto-pause for both 'enemy sighted' and 'enemy attacks', in normal gaming.
        1.15%
    7. I sometimes or always use auto-pause for both 'enemy sighted' and 'enemy attacks', for no-reload games.
        0.00%
    8. I sometimes or always use auto-pause only for 'enemy sighted', regardless of the type of game I play.
      28.74%
    9. I sometimes or always use auto-pause only for 'enemy attacks', regardless of the type of game I play.
        1.15%
    10. I always use auto-pausing for both both 'enemy sighted' and 'enemy attacks' regardless of the type of game I play.
      10.34%
Post edited by Lemernis on
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    atcDave
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I'd never used the feature at all until recently in no-reload games, and it is quite a boon for that.

I'm actually trying to get a sense of how folks normally play with respect to this feature to help determine whether it should be considered a "preferred" way to play (an ideal form of the challenge) for our random generated PC/Party no-reload 'speed game' tournament. (See here.)

But beyond that it's interesting to see for ordinary gaming as well what the distribution is.
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    I only use for "Trap found"
    Hate to cross a trap 1 sec after I detected it...
    lunar
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I've fallen in love with the feature to auto-pause when enemy sighted the very first second I saw it in action. It can be a life-saver, for sure. As soon as someone becomes "red-circled", I have all the possibilities to give the party members the needed orders. When playing a no-reload it's a matter of life and death, really. For example, you can use your Magic Missiles spell as soon as an enemy mage is sighted, to prevent his buffing. Or you can order to retreat as soon as you've seen an enemy archer. Or you can gulp a potion of Invisibility. Or cast the Command spell... This feature helps a lot. And even in normal games it is OK to use this option as it leads to the smaller amount of reloads.

In the vanilla game I always tried to pause manually as soon as the fight began. And I'm glad this particular pause can be done automatically because the very first seconds of practically any fight often determine the end result.

BTW it's funny that even now, when this option is on, I often "pause" the game at the start of a fight which leads to unpausing it actually - the power of a habit is very strong.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I couldn't fit it in for what i wanted to measure, lol. I guess that would be a post to the effect of 'none-of-the-above'. :)
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Enemy sighted-character injured-character death-trap found, these are the ones I use. In ToB, 'spell cast' is essential to maximise the benefits of Improved Alacrity. Those who play no-reloads tend to check all options, even round-end etc.
    [Deleted User]MERLANCE
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I pause manually...so I dont use auto-pause.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I use to pause on enemy sighted. IWD ruined that with their barrels and I rarely use it now.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    I am currently using auto pause on trap found but I could do without it and mostly am not a fan of auto-pause - it would drive me crazy to use the full range of options with the game constantly stopping itself for one reason or another breaking my concentration.

Also I typically manual pause quite often so even now with auto-pause on trap found - this usually turns into unpaused when I immediately hit the spacebar a nano-second after the game auto-pauses.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Where's the "Does Samus/Bhaaldog really look like Viconia" option?

Sometimes the "enemy sighted" or "character hurt" auto-pause. Mostly not.
  • OneAngryMushroomOneAngryMushroom Member Posts: 564
    I'm too lazy to press the pause button
    lolien
  • BJMJDBJMJD Member Posts: 192
    On the Ipad version I have some little difficulty to hit the pause button (the space bar is easiest to hit when you have a fight you didn't expect). So I use auto-pause when 'enemy sighted' to not loose time to hit the pause button (I do it also for trap for the same raison).
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    enemy sighted, like samus i usually play bgee while watching tv or whatever, so it's fairly essential

or

when i make a long journey from one end of a map to another and i'm making a drink/checking on tea/using the facilities etc it's useful too
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Trap Detected. This has saved me so many time.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I use auto-pause for pretty much everything. I prefer turn-based games, and with auto-pause BG practically becomes one. I almost quit the game way back when I first started until I figured it out.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    If I started using autopause now, I'd end up unpausing the game accidently all the time because I hit the space bar so often without thinking.
    AristilliusWanderon
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Lindeblom said:

I only use for "Trap found"
    Hate to cross a trap 1 sec after I detected it...

I used to do this but now I pretty much know where every trap is in the bg1 and bg2. Usually if I accidentally cross a trap, it doesn't slow me down much.

• Fighting_FerretFighting_Ferret Member Posts: 229
    I also like the on trap found option, but on enemy sighted is the best option as it allows you to formulate your plan of attack. I also usually manually pause after casting spells to check out the damage dealt to enemies.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I use badly injured, spell cast, trap found, enemy killed. Take my post as I always play with it, because I find enemy sighted annoying. It tends to pause multiple times as more enemies come into sight.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I use all kinds of auto pause! I feel insecure without them. I'll list what I use:
    enemy sighted
    character injured
    character death
    weapon unusable
    character's target destroyed
    spell cast
    trap found
    end of round
    agentmulderatcDave
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    ajwz said:

If I started using autopause now, I'd end up unpausing the game accidently all the time because I hit the space bar so often without thinking.

Same. Hitting the space bar is like second nature to me.

Having said that, I did use the auto pause in the past. I can't remember what I used it for, however. I think it might have been when my character cast a spell.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Auto pause at the end of my casts.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    I have never had it enabled in all the years I've been playing. 'Not planning on starting now.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    el manual. :p
    I used it in one game I think.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    You can autopause for traps? :O
  • agentmulderagentmulder Member Posts: 114
    I use it for "enemy sighted", "spell cast" and "no target". But I got a broken arm, it helps me to play.
    MERLANCE
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    For traps and enemy sighted I don't see any harm in using it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    When playing a Baldur's Gate, I prefer to focus on the game. Besides, I would rather use my reflexes in case I encounter the enemies/get ambushed/spot a trap etc; than depending on auto-pause.