Skip to content

Paying players for beta/game testing ?

Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
I have a stupid idea and very cynical.

Do you think guys (BG:EE community) that the devs should be paying us (or at least not making us pay for playing this game) for game testing (or beta testing) the game ?

I mean we have already paid for something buggy, so why not paying us back since we are doing the bug report job (and sometimes even giving the solutions to get rid of the bugs) ?

By the way, I also confirm the "return of the bugs" have occured in patch 8 (the one that adds italian language), because on my other PC (the one I am currently writting from), with patch 7, there are none of these bugs !

- keyboard arrows not functionning properly (ex: in console or when they can be of any use)
- numbers and keys above the letters (QWERTY, ...) do not function properly (you can't use the console then, or use the 1-2-3-4 for dialogue => this is also annoying because the cursor sometimes disappear for no fu**ing reason ...).
- the default scripted is bugged for people with ranged weapons (again !!! this was fixed before).

I do not understand how these patch releases are tested (are they ?).

We only start a new game and, in a few minutes (at least less than an hour) , we are able to detect many bugs.

Comments

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    We are paying less for the beta testing.
    If they had to pay people for testing the game, it should be more expensive, so we are paying less :)

Reguarding the italian patch, it should not be possible, because it's just the dialog.tlk file, so I don't know how a .tlk you aren't using could create bug.
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803
    Pibaro said:

Reguarding the italian patch, it should not be possible, because it's just the dialog.tlk file, so I don't know how a .tlk you aren't using could create bug.

However, some bugs have returned with patch 8 that were not in patch 7.

So this would mean there are hidden changes which led to the return of these bugs :p
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    I normally don't like it when forums include a thread/post downvote button, but this thread has me wishing for one.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,265
    We do as well as we can to test patches before we release them. BG is a huge game with a lot of moving parts so it is near impossible to catch everything. We do catch a lot of the big ones though.

Overhaul is not made of money. If they even paid all the beta testers for their work I get the feeling they may have trouble making a profit. I don't mind working for free.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560

Why would you patch your game if you don't need the italian language?

I did just to get rid of the "apply update" button. /shrug
  • BanexBanex Member Posts: 127
    Said it before and will say it again.Gameplay bugs in this game have never left it entirely broken.It's been playable for most from the beginning.Some bugs have been annoying but could be ignored.

I've had issues since the third patch with the opening sequence and ingame cutscenes and they still don't work but who the hell cares,the games playable.I have a mod with the old movies installed,which to be honest was going in anyway broken or not.I still think the original opening movie is epic.

And new patches can accidently break old ones,nothing new there.There's millions of strands of code surely.Bound to happen.I've yet to see a game on the PC that's total perfection.At the end of the day,so long as it's playable and enjoyable which this game always has been.

(I can get off my soapbox now :) )
  • Aasimar069Aasimar069 Member Posts: 803

Why would you patch your game if you don't need the italian language?

Can't I play in italian without bugs ?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

I have a stupid idea and very cynical.
    - keyboard arrows not functionning properly (ex: in console or when they can be of any use)
    - numbers and keys above the letters (QWERTY, ...) do not function properly (you can't use the console then, or use the 1-2-3-4 for dialogue => this is also annoying because the cursor sometimes disappear for no fu**ing reason ...).
    - the default scripted is bugged for people with ranged weapons (again !!! this was fixed before).

Updated and I haven't noticed ANY of these issues. Arrow keys and number keys are working fine both with scrolling and choosing text.

Am also playing an archer and haven't experienced the ranged weapons bug yet.

I even switched over to the Italian version to make sure. Perhaps it is your computer keyboard acting up and not the game?

There are people willing to devote their time and energy to provide bug testing for free. These people should be commended for keeping the cost of the game down for the rest of us. Yes bugs still get through the cracks but I bet there would still be bugs if they had paid beta testers.

If I wanted to play a free game, I'd head over to Kong.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @deltago, paid testers? Do I even need to answer that? :D

Software and bugs go hand-in-hand. It's one of those things. It wouldn't matter if they employed each and every member of the community, paying them minimum wage. Bugs are still going to slip through.
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    I can sympathize with how you feel. There are A LOT of bugs and the patches seem to be slow in coming, but like people here have pointed out, none of the bugs are game breaking. Plus BD is not a huge triple A gaming company so I can understand the slowness. We also got a bunch of new kits and NPCs and areas and items all for free so I can't complain. Just be patient, with the help of the community we will catch all the bugs eventually.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Actually the delay is due to a lot of fixes being done right now as any of the betatesters who posted in this thread can confirm although none of us can provide details.

I suggest people interested on what is going on to read Trent's and Cameron's tweets as they say as much as we can reveal now and sometimes even more than we're allowed to say.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    No. I don't like the idea, to be honest. I prefer bg to be my hobby, escape into fantasy that I do in my free time, not something I earn a living from.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I would imagine that it probably isn't even realistic for a company the size of Beamdog to pay beta testers.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    It isn't realistic for any company. Even a Behemoth like Blizzard doesn't pay/give any rewards to the community who does beta testing. As well they shouldn't. Reporting bugs isn't your job; it's something you do to help make your own and others gaming experience better. That should be pay enough.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    The true reward of beta testing is being able to beta test.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Huh? This is a hobby like modding. You don't get paid for a hobby. Satisfaction of the hobby is its own reward.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065

Huh? This is a hobby like modding. You don't get paid for a hobby. Satisfaction of the hobby is its own reward.

This.

As a paragon of lawful goodness, it's always puzzled me how some people want to add financial incentives to things which are already rewarding in non-financial ways.

Why treat a Paladin like some mere mercenary?
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Given all of the hardware and software configurations that exist out there in the world, bugs are inevitable. And given the sheer complexity of the game and all of the rules, there are bound to be bugs.

If you have played a game that has zero bugs (not just those that you are personally inconvenienced, but truly NONE), I salute you. I can't think of a single game that I have played in the last 30 years or so that hasn't had at least some issues, even after it was out for years.

if it were me, I would either come to terms with the fact that there are going to be bugs or give up on gaming entirely. But that's just me.

I can't think of a single game that I have played in the last 30 years or so that hasn't had at least some issues, even after it was out for years.

Have you tried NetHack?

;-)

If you have played a game that has zero bugs (not just those that you are personally inconvenienced, but truly NONE), I salute you. I can't think of a single game that I have played in the last 30 years or so that hasn't had at least some issues, even after it was out for years.

Well, I don't remember any 100% bugless games but the few Nintendo games I have played (especially the more recent ones) have an extraordinarily small amount of bugs considering how complex they are (especially considering the Pokemon games' complexity. A few exploits maybe, but not a whole lot of bugs.).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @Nifft - No. I haven't. Any good?

@Tresset - Not really a Pokemon person myself. I do play Metroid Zero Mission and Super Mario Bros on my DS from time to time. Haven't really encountered much 'Errors' on that front, so I take your point.

@Samus - LOL. Exactly!
    @the_spyder - Yes, quite!
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Pokemon games are great and everyone should try them!
    Tresset said:

Well, I don't remember any 100% bugless games but the few Nintendo games I have played (especially the more recent ones) have an extraordinarily small amount of bugs considering how complex they are (especially considering the Pokemon games' complexity. A few exploits maybe, but not a whole lot of bugs.).
    Apparently even Pokemon has glitches. I did a google search and found that there is even a Wiki site devoted merely to glitches in the game. so :p (all in fun. No offense intended)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @the_spyder Oh I know Pokemon has glitches, but they are usually very minor and rare. I just find it rather odd that there are so few considering how many moving parts the game has.

Humorous example of a Pokemon glitch: The Pokemon called Cofagrigous could not be traded by a certain method (GTS) because the censors were blocking it due to the word inside its name.
  • AaronDemonciaAaronDemoncia Member Posts: 31
    as previously stated, bugs range as anything from software inefficiency, to improper download storage and installation, to the ever popular and most common 'Operator Error'. Asking payment for issues 95% out of their control is absurd.