Skip to content

Fanart Contest Round VI: Area Art

13»

Comments

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @EntropyXII, beautiful picture, but unfortunately it was just after the deadline.

On that note, this round is finished. Amazing pieces this round, like always :D.
  • EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    edited June 2013
    @Troodon80 - I know. I sulked for like an hour when I looked at the time and it said "12:15 am". Never mind - it's unfinished anyway. I'll see if I can complete it at some point in the future and post it up.

Painted it using ArtRage. Contrary to reviews it is actually a very attractive tool once you figure it out.
    Troodon80
    edited June 2013
    @Troodon80 - art rage is more of an artists program I think. It's meant to replicate real life textures, oil, water colours digitally. It responds incredibly well with a digital pen. Not for everyone - but useful if you're going for a more natural canvas feel. I normally use Corel Paint x 5 so it made a nice change to go 'old school' so to speak. You can still use layers which is helpful.

I'd like to learn how to use Vue. Yet to try it. Excellent work on the render.
    Troodon80
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    Terragen is also a poweful software. But the rendering is very long.... And you can make a video inside your 3Dmodel with an other soft (campath ? don't remember the name)
    Troodon80
    @EntropyXII, I'll give the demo a try. I use PaintTool Sai for some of my work, Photoshop for others. ArtRage sounds like something I would enjoy using.

Vue is easy enough to use, especially since you can drag objects created (and exported as 3DS or OBJ) in 3DS Max into the viewport.

@Seldar, I've heard of Terragen, but never actually used it. Rendering in Vue generally takes a while, too. Especially pre- version 9. I've heard they added some new features to it in 11 and 11.5, but I haven't gotten it due to how long ago I got the licence. Thankfully, my primary desktop is capable enough. I might look into Terragen again.
    @Troodon80 @Seldar - Shall we start a new topic discussing this at further length? I am curious as to what software people use, and specifically what hardware - but would rather not clog up this art page with questions! ... would have made it already but wasn't sure whether or not to put it in 'Fan Creations' or 'off-topic' ... =)
    @EntropyXII, off-topic I think would be best, but it would really depend on whether we're discussing general art/artistry software/hardware or BG art specifically. If we are going to share BG pieces, then probably fan creations.

If you want to make a separate thread for general art, as well as the software and hardware used, I'll jump in :).
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @EntropyXII If you'll discuss just the software then create it in off-topic. If you'll get some of the art shown in this thread, for instance, and then discuss the software and techniques used to create it then I think it should go in fan creations.
    @mlnevese @Troodon80 - Both really, a thread by artists for artists - with an inclination towards fantasy or course. Artists can share their art and discuss the techniques used, software used and hardware used. Advice can be shared and hopefully we can make quite a productive and useful thread.

Would art have to remain true to Baldur's Gate or could we go on to general fantasy?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Baldur's Gate -> Fan Creations
    general fantasy -> Off-Topic
    Alright - uhh, I have just worked an 11 hour shift and i'm a bit slow at the moment. Ok, So off-topic then. I'll post something up in a short while and link everyone in - need a giant cup of coffee first!
    Troodon80mlnevese
    Posted the thread in 'Off Topic - A thread for artists by artists'.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    ohoho that was the last contest ? too bad :(
    Yeah I read @Jalily 's post about that in another thread. I'm not very happy about this situation. :/
    @EntropyXII, @Seldar, @Syntia13, as I said here, I am hopeful that there may be others in the future. No guarantee, of course :).
    @Troodon80 - I'm sure a number of the artists here would have participated in a contest regardless of the prize involved, if that would be the issue. I would have paid for a couple of BG2's anyway.

How about expanding the prize list to more than just free games? An NPC in BG2 based after a character of the winners choice? - to name a more creative prize.
    Aedan
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    mlneveseMoomintrollEntropyXIIFredjo
  • kraxkrax Member Posts: 12
    Yes really fun contest, thank's for arranging it! Would have loved to participate in all of them but I only found out about it in time for the last round, I hope more will come!