Skip to content

[Announcement] Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition has been temporarily removed from sale.

Comments

• BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152

@bengoshi already answered this question; please see below. Beamdog and Overhaul are not allowed to release any patches. Moreover, they cannot make money from it so long as they are barred from selling further copies of BG:EE.

They only ones who would benefit from the release of a patch are Atari, since they are the only company selling BG:EE (through Steam) at the moment. So Beamdog would effectively be working for free in order to boost Atari's sales.

bengoshi said:

Borsook said:

There is one comment from Trent Oster that I'd like to clarify - is overhaul legally prevented from publishing patches to the already published game, or have they decided they cannot work on the patch because they cannot sell the game any more?

In Trent Oster's announcement on www.baldursgate.com
    there's the following statement (emphasis mine):

<...>We've taken this step at our publishing partner's request as we attempt to resolve a number of contractual issues <...> until this matter is resolved, we are unable to release the latest Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition patch<...>.

So, it clearly shows that Beamdog & Overhaul Games is not able to publish any patch now.

And Trent Oster's statement sent to Kotaku has the following (again emphasis mine):

<...>From our end, without the hope of revenue to cover salaries, we have to stop work on all Baldur's Gate products, including the patch. Instead, we need to look for new projects to move our team onto.

So, this part means that the work (the process) on the patch is stopped because of no revenue.

Both these parts don't contradict to each other, instead the second quote adds to the first.

Beamdog & Overhaul Games has no legal rights to publish any patch. And as there's no revenue right now, all the work on patches is stopped.

The answer to your question is: Overhaul is legally prevented from publishing patches to the already published game and in the same time because they cannot sell the game any more and cannot get any revenue they decided to stop current and future work on the patch till the moment this matter is decided.
    But this is still ambiguous, sure you can understand this as "we are legally prevented from working on a patch" but also "we can't sell the game so we're going to do something else to make money instead of working on a patch" Which is a bummer as we paid for the game and would expect support for our money not for money paid by future customers (which is not the most terrible patch situation I remember, Rome total war had a contract for 2 patches, first one was rushed and the second one broke more things than fixed) :) So simple clarification would be great :)
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited June 2013
    @callimachus: The situation will probably become clearer after July 19th, the last day of the Atari asset auction. If BG is put on the block and a third party picks it up, that'll probably be the end of any hope for BG2:EE. Alternatively, the best case scenario is that Atari sells the rights directly back to Beamdog, but that doesn't seem likely given that they started this whole mess in the first place.
  • BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152
    shawne said:

@callimachus: The situation will probably become clearer after July 19th, the last day of the Atari asset auction. If BG is put on the block and a third party picks it up, that'll probably be the end of any hope for BG2:EE. Alternatively, the best case scenario is that Atari sells the rights directly back to Beamdog, but that doesn't seem likely given that they started this whole mess in the first place.

Well, whoever decides to purchase the rights to the BG franchise we can assume will do so with the intention to either do BG3 or HD/EE editions...
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    After year in the USMC, being and later working for allied governments in not always friendly situations the thrill is gone. Life is Hollow. But, then I realized the glory of Combat anon- not the irritating beseeching yell of a Marine with a tore up knee yelling in a combat town... not the sudden jolt awake I still get and then a big smile when I realize it was just a dream of some ugly desert enlisted in the Marines.... no the thrill of flying flesh cut to pieces then bouncing once on the ground and disappearing.... As it should be.... I have problems leaving my basement and the pizza man is afraid of the smell coming from my window as he sticks the pie through the slot but still all in all I was hoping to let Taix RULE ALL in BG2.... there must be a way TIAX CAN ASCEND TO HIS PROPER HEIGHT AND SET ALRIGHT THE SMART GUYS WHO DEFIED HIM.... what would Tiax do

WWTD ? If he was denied his continued RULE OF ALL by some fat Merchants who said "I LOVE MONEY" I am still unsure if I should get counselling again the VA probably is packed with freaks already and I am overseas on top spy missions as a sleeper Borne Identity agent... hmmm it is I don't know maybe I should order some pizzas and buy the first fallout game... I never did make a full hand to hand combat guy I always invsted in rifles and rpg perks... I am very angry at Atari and when I come back to America I am going to go to their office with a ice cream cone and eat it in front of them then stick my tongue out and say - "Not sharing with you bratty money hogs - and Tiax doesn't love you either." before the security can boot me out of the lobby.... actually maybe just do that on the sidewalk with a prites sign and picket them and then yell at them as they leave work calling them Neutral Evil trolls and demiliches...
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    I agree with bengoshi and I hope for the best.
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136
    Groschen said:

And to the people complaining about the game or Beamdog - Please now is not the time, Why didn't you complain before when they actually had control over the game, instead of now when they are having problems? - Just shut it instead, would you, and save it for when it would seem like genuine complaints, instead of some sort of campaign againts a company that already have enough problems on their hands as it is...

I don't know this keeps coming up and I keep getting sucked into replying... Belittling others, just because they have an opinion or sentiments you don't like, is no better than those who made the comments in the first place. I have really read maybe 5 posts in this thread that were completely out of line, and everyone simply ignored them and they went away. Being upset about not getting the patch is a perfectly legitimate position to take, and really does not deserve our spite.
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    Well what do we actually know here?

So far we know factually that this has to do with Atari. It seems obvious that it has to do with contractual voids due to the recent bankruptcy, though I could be wrong. I know bankruptcies and banks can get very tricky with private sales when things go wrong. This goes double when you owe banks money and they want to gag you for every cent they can get out of you.

I'm going to assume they had a deal to sell the BG rights privately to Overhaul or perhaps WOTC/Hasbro and now they need a court order to do so because now the rights are currently unsecure as they may have to put BG up for public auction. I'm also going to assume this is why Atari told them to stop production on the game because they may simply not be able to guarantee Overhaul that the old deal was secure. Now I'm going to guess this may be a temporary precaution until the legal details are sorted out or they may have to work out a contract with whomever will buy the rights in the auction.

It all comes down to whether Overhaul and Atari had a deal beforehand that allows them to privately sell BG to them or friendly parties. I'm going to assume they did because this Atari mess has been going on for at least half a year to a year. I imagine Trent and CO would have been seriously worried a long way back if there was an issue where the BG rights would be in danger. This is not the first time Atari has had serious troubles. Unless we have confirmation from Trent and CO that there was a deal in the past, everything we write is just an assumption.

Now I'm curious about this auction. Is it public and allowing public bidders or just to companies? Would I be able to bid myself and track the bidding auction? Is it definite that BG is going up for public auction or was there a deal beforehand and they are trying to get the legal details secured first? I'm also curious how much the BG rights would go for in a public auction. I'm hearing some things are being sold really cheap and some not so much. BG is an older IP and if I'm hearing that some of the bigger Atari rights are being sold for under $2million I'm wondering what BG would go for if it did hit the auction block. If it went for somewhere between $10k to $100k, hell I might even bid myself.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited June 2013
    Beamdog can't release patches cos, if the assumptions are right and they're employees of ATARI, anything produced by Beamdog will generate cost to the employers (aka ATARI, or in fact the "debtor in possession" of the bankrupt).

However Beamdog could give away this last update free at least, releasing an unnoficial patch outside of the main site (could be in the mod section of this forum), or by opening hands of any payment for the job (or maybe agreeing in let their payment be classified as subordinated credit im the preference order). Many here give support to the devs, maybe they could return the kindness.
    shawne said:

There's a chance also for whomever take this copyrights (if ATARI really lose it) to make the things even better.

If whomever take this copyrights continue the production of BG:EE (maybe even by taking it from beamdog, by recruiting beamdog devs as employes, to a company subordinated to the new owner of the copyrights...) change the limits of the work, maybe change original content as change old banters, quests, items, rewards, even history will become POSSIBLE.

From my view, a bankrupt like this can be seen as an extremly high opportunity, so why don't Beamdog try to buy BG copyrights inside this bankruptcy? They can't especulate so much the price cos it's in the hands of justice, so the market price will be forced over the product, and from and if EUA writ is like Brasil writ, there's also a social role in seeling the copyrights to Beamdog, as a decision like this will affect the rights of many other people (us customers for example).

Obs: A kickstart project to make this purchase possible would not be seen with bad eyes.

For instance, a control of whom make donations could be taken in account, based on how much was donated by that person, in the future some rights could be given to that person.

(each $20 give right to a sample of BG2:EE copy for example)

An archived money could lead to:

1° - possibility to Beamdog buy itself the copyrights.
    2° - possibility of Beamdog present an initial investment to whomever buy BG copyrights, by turning the kickstart money into pre-orderes benefiting each person that donated of course.
  • GishGish Member Posts: 74
    So depressing when I heard this. I wanted to do a straight play thru with same guys I made. My original copy of bg no longer works and my bg2 tob disk got lost Ina move. Boooo
  • MalicronMalicron Member Posts: 629
    Gish said:

So depressing when I heard this. I wanted to do a straight play thru with same guys I made. My original copy of bg no longer works and my bg2 tob disk got lost Ina move. Boooo

GOG.com is your friend.
  • AendaeronBluescaleAendaeronBluescale Member Posts: 335
    edited June 2013
    Gish said:

This should suffice for now:
    http://www.gog.com/gamecard/baldurs_gate_2_complete
    http://www.gog.com/gamecard/baldurs_gate_the_original_saga
    It's worth the (currently) 10 USD total plus no discs needed
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    sepotter said:

I still hold faith in beamdog, I will not revert to bg2 unless it is 100% absolutely confirmed that BG2EE will not happen.

Definitely. Mine turned out to be kind of a mess after I installed it again recently, even in spite of the trouble it took to begin with. I am looking forward for Beamdog's attempt.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    Borsook said:

Necdilzor said:

It seems there are 3 versions about how BG:EE runs:

1. Flawlessly, no problems at all.
    2. Buggy, annoying to the user.
    3. Doesn't run at all.

I belong to number 3 and am anxiously waiting for the patch with the new renderer. I really hope, and wish them the best luck, that Beamdog will rise triumphant from the storm and bring the fans the joy they have already started spreading :)

(On a side note, it was "good" for me that the patch didn't come out yet. I had lots of tests at college and playing BG is really tempting :P)

I know you guys are working hard on it :)

Just a shot in the dark, but have you tried running in a window? For me it does not run if I start in fullscreen, but if I start in a window it works (and I can switch to fullscreen, just can't start in it)
    I'll comment this once so it doesn't interfere, but I have Intel. OpenGL 2.0 works, but way too slow for me. It lags like hell. I know it's not supported (thus why you don't see me complaining like a maniac), but the patch was going to help on this matter with the new renderer and it would possibly make the game run efficiently on my machine. Windowed mode lags too. :P

That's why I've been anxiously waiting for this patch. I know there's nothing for me to complain here, but I was looking forward to the light of the patch :D
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    Necdilzor said:

Borsook said:

Necdilzor said:

3. Doesn't run at all.

I belong to number 3 and am anxiously waiting for the patch with the new renderer. I really hope, and wish them the best luck, that Beamdog will rise triumphant from the storm and bring the fans the joy they have already started spreading :)

(On a side note, it was "good" for me that the patch didn't come out yet. I had lots of tests at college and playing BG is really tempting :P)

Just a shot in the dark, but have you tried running in a window? For me it does not run if I start in fullscreen, but if I start in a window it works (and I can switch to fullscreen, just can't start in it)
    I'll comment this once so it doesn't interfere, but I have Intel. OpenGL 2.0 works, but way too slow for me. It lags like hell. I know it's not supported (thus why you don't see me complaining like a maniac), but the patch was going to help on this matter with the new renderer and it would possibly make the game run efficiently on my machine. Windowed mode lags too. :P

That's why I've been anxiously waiting for this patch. I know there's nothing for me to complain here, but I was looking forward to the light of the patch :D

Absolutely, this "Contract Issues" problem couldn't have come at a worse time, this next patch may be the best of all previous patches, not to mention the release of the android version, and yet it's all put on hold.
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124

Well what do we actually know here?

Now I'm curious about this auction. Is it public and allowing public bidders or just to companies? Would I be able to bid myself and track the bidding auction? Is it definite that BG is going up for public auction or was there a deal beforehand and they are trying to get the legal details secured first? I'm also curious how much the BG rights would go for in a public auction. I'm hearing some things are being sold really cheap and some not so much. BG is an older IP and if I'm hearing that some of the bigger Atari rights are being sold for under $2million I'm wondering what BG would go for if it did hit the auction block. If it went for somewhere between $10k to $100k, hell I might even bid myself.

I'm curious as Well. Around 100k Would be an interesting pricetag. 19th is a While yet. Heh owning BG ip. Meh I could only fare better than Atari.

My guess is that the Pricetag World be in the milions tho.
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 279
    sepotter said:

Necdilzor said:

Borsook said:

Necdilzor said:

3. Doesn't run at all.

Absolutely, this "Contract Issues" problem couldn't have come at a worse time, this next patch may be the best of all previous patches, not to mention the release of the android version, and yet it's all put on hold.
    If this problem arrived day 1 after the new patch, I bet LOTS of people would be playing instead of complaining. You can't be more right, this was the worst moment for the legal problems to arise :(

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited June 2013
    Malicron said:

Any news on whether or not Beamdog's going to try and acquire the rights to Baldur's Gate? 'cause I've got to say, if they could start doing thins like integrating Unfinished Business and rewriting Throne of Bhaal, I'd be willing to wait for however long it takes.

If they get the fully copyrights, they will be able to fully change the game (except about official D&D role, as messing with Drizzt, Elminster or other aknowledge D&D characters probally). This would be the best scenario.

EDIT:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/01/21/technology/atari-bankrupt/index.html

From ATARI statements the bankruptcy was proposital, filled by ATARI itself, with the intent of separate her and 3 other corporate coalition from a french branch of the company "Atari S.A". But fill a bankruptcy bring consequences (if is alike Brazilian legal system), as anticipating the expiration of any depts of the company with their creditors.

So maybe ATARI isn't in any risk, but even then Baldur's Gate copyright is maybe open for discussion, who knows.
    Post edited by kamuizin on
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    If it comes to a kickstarter or fundraiser to solve this problem and get BG2:EE released then my wallet is ready and waiting.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    So, since beamdog currently cannot make any money off of bg:ee or the sequel for the time being, I'm guessing you have to start seriously considering other projects to start working on so you have something to do if you haven't sorted this out in a matter of weeks.

I realise up until now, questions regarding overhauls next project have been met with "we're focusing on making the enhanced editions the best it can be right now" and the most obvious possibility (bg3) out of the question for much the same reasons that development has halted on bg:ee.

However, are there any answers or hints you can give about what your next project might be? Or do you not yet have an idea yourselves?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited June 2013
    http://www.rpgwatch.com/#22673 - it would appear like more D&D-related franchises are noticing the Atari fallout (though it remains unconfirmed).
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    """""""I actually think the discussion here is far less heated than the gay romances discussions we had before the game was released last year."""""<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<can't use quote thinger sorry>>>>>>>>>>

I defended a homosexual from a beat down while in the Marines- not because he was a good Marine - he was a sheet sack of as far as performance - but because in real life I am a Lawful Good Paladin who makes Keldorn look like a flexible weasel who won't punish his wife - however bringing up Gay Romance is disgusting and I was not- by choice- friends with him or any other gay person. I think they would all be best exiled to an island with the thieves, child attackers, and drug users. Of course there would be no murderers or rapist to exile since in my perfect Lawful Good Kingdom those men would be hung by the neck until dead. But, I have to wait until the soon coming total economic collapse and me and my Prepper friends can take over Montana and then the world before I can set up a proper Kingdom.

Lucky I have my combat knife, tomahawk (I duel wield), tons of ammo and fully auto machine guns, 3 tons of MREs, my Solar and Wind Turbine, bunny farm, and deep water Mountain well set up in my stronghold where I will hide with Nalia until most of the zombies have eaten each other. I really wanted to replay Baldur's Gate TOB enhanced there though.... You need to work this out or I will send Cespenar to summon Taix at the Atari office and of course then there is the mystery of Tiax in the lobby there made to wait... WWTD ? (what would tiax do)

• pixie359pixie359 Member Posts: 251
    Very good call @Kaeloree.
This discussion has been closed.